[pnpgm] Game Update #48 - File #431 - Tiehul's Revelation - The Discussion

Thomas O. Magann Jr. tmagann at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 5 17:25:37 CET 2009

Whitney rolls his eyes, "Listen to yourself 'take a flower and enhance it and you have more natural magic....". No, take anything and enhance it, and it's no longer natural, it's now enhanced. And that is why the term natural magic is almost meaningless as applied by most mages and wizards: they use it to refer to enhanced magics. As well say take some iron ore, enhance it with heat and trace metals, and you have natural steel. Alloys aren't natural

"As for Jinn or any other supernatural being, they're not natural by definition, they're supernatural: beyond natural.

"Of course, my specialties are only botany, parabotany, and parazoology. I'm only an expert on the natural and supernatural.  You might want to consult a lexiconologist about what words actually mean."

>Ha'Kell has been listening to this for the past few minutes and finds it very amusing, in many different ways.  He can't resist stirring the pot a bit.
>
>"Well I disagree.  I think that Natural Magic fits just fine.  Magic is the main part and natural is just a description.  The magic is cast onto something natural, something not crafted by hands, therefore it is natural magic.  Take a gem of some kind, enhance it, and poof, you have some natural magic.  Take a flower and enhance it, and poof, you have more natural magic.  That is far different than forging and creating a sword than casting magic into it, or creating a fancy ring and casting magic into it.  We can't forget the magic portion of natural magic."
>
>"Whilst I see your point, I think you're splitting linguistic hairs and missing the point; overthinking it all."  Taking a drink of beer Ha'Kell continues.  "What do you think of dragons and other natural magic creatures?  Are they not creatures as well as magic?  What about the Jinn?  These are all natural and magic.  Or should we create new names for all these, perhaps mag-eatures?  Or creat-ics?"
>
>He rubs his arm a bit as the wrapping is itchy and the pain is gone.  Why are wrappings always itchy?
>
>"Why do you think magic and nature are opposites?  I do not see that opposition."

Thank you for your time,

Thomas O. Magann Jr.