[pnpgm] Game Update #11b - File #138 - Ship sails into Ma month

Murtha, Mark D (N-Resources) mark.d.murtha at ulalaunch.com
Wed May 27 16:59:33 CEST 2009

>             When camp is settled Arawn ask the party quietly if anyone
>         knows Time magics. Caladan mentions that Xian does but he is back
>         in Marentia somewhere.

Kell responds as well, "I do not, but my master does.  Does anyone know the spell Luck, and would they be willing to teach me?"

> [...]
>         flaw is that we are effectively doing a job for the High Elder,
>         whether we ask for pay or not is beside the point. The boat fee
>         is no different than him paying for supplies. If he were to ask
>         someone to build a castle for him it is expected that he cover
>         the cost of material while the workers perform the labor. He
> covers
>         the expenses and we perform the necessary actions with supplied
>         resources. As for the Maros, example, it is different. If the King
>         gave the boat as gift I can understand asking another to use it on
>         his behalf. Such is not the case with the High Elder, we are not
>         using anything he has gifted to us. We would in no way be debted
>         to him because we are not asking him for a gift or handout, it
>         would be the other way around as we are performing a service for
>         free, now compounded by having to pay a hefty sum to perform a
>         service he asked us to do. Kind of like asking the castle builders
>         to pay for the materials and then build the castle for him. As for
>          not understanding, sadly I have to say otherwise. I come from the
>          realm of the gods and was raised in court most of my life. I've
>          seen how such things are 'asked' of others when in truth they
>          are expected to comply, sometimes for free if those asked are
>          not powerful themselves. Those with power are prone to 'asking'
>          others to do many things for them and though some are generous
>          with those they ask favors of not all fall in this category.
>          Those that are generous are usually very much so and look with
>          much favor upon those that fall under their eye. I do agree with
>          you though that the High Elder will likely fall into this latter
>          category and likely the favor of one of his power is greater than
>          what mere coin can offer to others."
>
>             Caladan still leaning on his staff glances forward to see
>          Kell's red-eyed pet nag Corona, then glances back at Arawn.
>          He waves a hand faintly in a noble like stance too weak to
>          wave but yet too rich to care he has seen nobles do.  "Well...
>          to be honest.  No one actually ASKED for a payment or reward."
>          He grins and stands tall. "I mean if Balrog or Varange was
>          with us they'd demand a certain amount of gold or land out
>          right.  Maybe the High Elder thought we didn't need it after
>          you all did the castle thing.  Maybe he will reward us later."
>
>             Kiet listens to the discussion and tosses in the comment,
>          "Well, to me it seems that now Ki'ama is in debt to us,
> especially
>          Z'leyra, for the cost of this trip.  I mean, he wouldn't hesitate
>          to supply us with a horse, now, would he? At least, I like the
>          idea of HIM beholding to US."
>
>             Farseeker chimes in, "he also might be too high station to
>          even suspect or know prices like ship fares.  I don't see him
>          paying for such things without Zhou doing it for him."
>
>             Will stands back and listens to the back and forth between the
>          various people and ideas without betraying any emotion and says

Grinning Ha'Kell chimes in, "I'll send him a bill."

>                         -------------------------
>
>         [Apris 21st, 1634TH]
>         [Location: Eastern Ocean, Heading S/SE]
>
>             For days Unali has started to put her skills into helping
>         with ship duties and training others in combat.  But outside
>         those work times she is quiet and aloof.  She is often seen
> staring
>         over the side of the ship, brooding and looking back to where the
>         ark Lands are, now out of sight.
>
>             This night at sunset she is brooding again looking at the
> fading
>         sun over the distant shoreline.  Caladan walks by on his way to
>         eat dinner, a small soup meal.  He stops and sees Unali acting
>         almost like Chion a bit aloof and odd.  "What is wrong?  I figure
>         to maybe see your family again might be exiting?"
>
>             Unali glances over, "There is much more court intrigue going
>         on there than I sensed earlier. That does not bode well for our
>         trip." Then she seems to shrug something of. "Ah well, at least
>         he is not paying, so we have no obligations either."
>
>             Caladan grins, "Aren is rubbing off too much on you.  All that
>         court work sifting through the mess trying to find spies.  Let
>         us not worry about it tonight.  Come, let's have some soup."

Kell has been watching Unali and Caladan, and learning seamanship from Unali for days now.  She has been very helpful in teaching whilst definitely aloof.  His Miri on his shoulder, Kell feeds him a little tidbit of meat and pets his soft back.  "Unali, I'm not the most empathic person, but I have a feeling you're almost afraid.  Afraid of what I don't know.  If you need another head and set of ears and eyes I offer my services, such as they are."

"My status as an outsider to the Dark Lands could be a boon.  I have no known allegiances or ties to anyone there.  Think about it, and let me know anytime."

"I have to apologize as well.  I've never introduced you to my little friend."  Grabbing the ferret-like creature from his shoulder, Kell holds him and pets him again.  Offers him to Unali and Caladan to hold and see, "Meet Squirt.  I call him Squirt because he can squirt into almost any place.  He is mischievous and fun, and also useful.  Kids love him."