[pnpgm] Game Update #5

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Tue May 5 06:20:59 CEST 2009

<I personally rate the two differently based on how active they are?
Mana Sensing should always be on and tell you there is magic inside its
reach. It is a passive scanner that does not tell you much. In effect it
is a literal sense. Mana Reading is much more active and thus should
need concentration to use, its a minor issue but one that does make it
harder to Read and cast spells or do other actions. Normally both were
free of cost but I think our GM has some Enl costs and other limits on
Reading because it is quite powerful... One thing I missed many times
before is it never says it tells you WHERE the magic is? Not even a
direction is mentioned, so all you know is its in range. Now that does
not fit the letter of the description in many ways but it does not
contradict it either. So technically its a GM's call as to functionality
of its use. Mechanics can make the abilities quite useful or next to
useless due to 'Noise'. Think about the quantity of magic items the
party may have and how that could flood senses. Think about the more
powerful items masking the weaker ones etc... It is here I would treat
the innate user differently from the spell user. The innate user is more
likely to have used it enough to deal with the noise and understand how
to determine which items are which. But someone with high intelligence,
empathy or other 'sense' abilities, should work it out well enough. Soul
Sight is quite powerful and its cousin Insight as well, as the divine
tell you more than the Arcane magics do. Defenses are basically Immunity
items that lower effective El which reduce ranges or if powerful enough
can shut it off. Detecting a person could use MDV but some aspects
should not as magic should radiate outside the person. Any active power
or spell should be easily detected, unused ones could be protected. Once
more its an area that is not detailed and thus up to the GM to decide.
The rules as written imply no MDV applies to detections but never say
for sure... The Bad Part is defenses have to be greater than the
detector as equal leave El0 which still works if close enough! So its
unlikely to be safe unless its a high powered defense, El5+? Economics
again, better detectors cost more and when prices are in Gold and you
wish quantity its more likely they will use the weaker ones. Thus the
common detectors are likely low El and thus can be blocked, but the more
critical areas will have better ones as will special units. Fortunately
Divine ones should be rare, more likely limited to a rare few people
like Inquisitors. Just guess work, but should be fairly close ;)

<Raban has Insight to test on people. It has not quite come up in RP yet.
<Arawn or Frema should know a lot about everyone, their magic items and
innates. At some point they should have scanned everyone with Mana
Reading. They would know they have them though not necessarily what they
are?