[pnpgm] Game Update #124 - File#693 - Arawn's IBT

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Mar 31 08:27:38 CEST 2009

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe

     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #124 in sequence (file #693)

     Admin Notes: Nona.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Vote]
          I vote that EL modification of spell rolls should be:

          Modify the spell roll by ONE (1) for each EL that the spell is
          known at PLUS by ONE (1) for each EL that the spell is CAST at.

          Example: If know the spell at EL5 and cast at EL3 the total
          modifier would be 5+3=8. Thus 8 would be subtracted from the roll.

          Reasons for this are that BOTH (EL known at) and (EL cast at) have
          arguments for being the basis for the modifier. This compromise
          allows both to modify the success roll and you don't have to
          multiply by 2, just add them together.
          Known at has those with better understanding having a better
          chance. Cast at has the additional oomph of the spell taken into
          account.
        GM: Ack. I should comment on it but might influence the vote. :)
            Though most have already voted.  This above is even more
            math and book keeping to me.

                     ----------------------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Vote]
          Ok, I change my vote to this instead :)
          [*** Ale'x suggestion deleted for space ***]
        GM: Ack.  To Alex's suggestion.  Ack.

                     ----------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Vote]
          Way too nit-picky of a rule for me to be able to cast an
          intelligent vote.  I'll just abstain.    (Doesn't really
          impact Ben'Dar anyway)
        GM: Ack. :)

                     ----------------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Vote]
          It is my understanding that a person knows a spell "so well =
          EL". So he can cast any non-innate(only castable at highest EL)
          at any EL. But him casting it at a lower EL doesn't mean he
          doesn't KNOW it worse. So my vote would be to do it the way
          that makes the most sense. The highest EL is used in casting %
          modifier to the roll, while the EL cast is whatever the
          person/player choses.

          Regarding Battletech: I would take 10 PPC loaded 20 ton mechs any
          day over 2 100 ton mechs. Why? The simple fact that I would end
          up with 10+ PPC bearing high movement/jumpers versus two slow
          moving turtles. Given that the game Battletech has the inherent
          flaw of only allowing a certain amount of head armor,
          statistically, it makes sense to use the higher number of shots
          to obtain the desired "head shot kill". Not to mention that you
          have 10 chances for death from above hits...

          My vote is to use the highest EL to modify the roll, the EL to
          affect results. Yeah, this game has always had a "shear numbers"
          problem. If 100 orcs attack with bows, you will get a few
          criticals, unless your shield skill is high enough to rule it
          out. If they use blunt tipped arrows, you are probably going
          down (knock out rules).
        GM: Ack. Yep.  Well as long as you guys know Balance will be
            adjusted and Bad guys will be using the same rule.  Then
            don't blame me if suddenly 50 Acolytes rather than 2-3 higher's
            are on the scene. :)  Balance is so sweet.  :)

                     ----------------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Vote]
          Rules read modifier is 2*El known, effect at El cast I see no
          reason that needs to be changed It rewards those who took the
          time to learn the spells and helps offset the advantage a faster
          caster has.

          Otherwise those fast casters like natural mages and shamans gain
          even more advantage because they can cast larger El spells much
          easier.

        [Apris 6th, 1634TH. 9th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: High Elder's domain - Citadel, Dark Lands, Forest]

        GM: And now..the final IBT events for Arawn!

            [When Fremea shows Arawn the nest of bird eggs he examines them
             from a distance.  Sven had warned that touching eggs, at least
             for humans, can taint them.  Make them have the human scent on
             them and other birds ignore them.  Arawn can't identify the
             eggs as they seem simple white normal everyday round ones.  Not
             being a scholar he isn't sure. He decides to check their
             immediate future.  He casts a divination spell, though low
             level, to see into their futures.  The spell is cast and he
             sees two hours into the future for the birds.  But for them
             they are simply still eggs still in the nest.  The spell is
             not high enough for days to know if the eggs will be protected
             or eaten by others.  He gives a quick prayer and hopes for the
             best on the birds.  Fremea places the nest into a safe place.]

            [Later that same day while heading back to the Citadel, Arawn
             approaches Sven to ask the Ipanza for permission to learn their
             language.  Sven asks but finds them wary but agrees to it.
             Sven explains it must be done in such a way not to look like
             magic as they may get scared.  Sven helps to distract their
             eyes as Arawn casts the Tongues spell upon them as Sven gets
             them to talk about hunting on the tundra.  Soon Arawn joins
             in on the conversation understanding the language on a good
             fluent level.  Soon the barbarians become relieved and ask if
             they can leave.]

            [Days later on Apris 7th the morning after the party gets back
             to the Citadel, Arawn finds Fremea.  He explains he will help
             her with the Dirasa but has something to do before.  He
             will return in a day or so.  Arawn heads off to the forest to
             find a area to cast some spells.  Casting the spell he
             weaves it using the neutral supernatural tongue.  In mid-air
             up about 80 feet moments later he translocates 160 miles
             west by south-west.  Losing height now over wide plains in the
             morning light, Arawn casts another translocate spell and
             this time makes the jump shorter.  This time Arawn finds himself
             surrounded by tall forest trees and his levitate spell begins
             to fail.  He quickly falls and tumbles toward trees and hits
             the side of one tree hard and then forward into a branch of
             another.  He grabs on the limb and tries to grip but falls
             another 5 feet this time toward a smaller tree limb.  But
             this time he grabs hard as some of his gear fall to the
             ground.  Looking up he is only about 12 feet up and after
             gaining his breath he slowly begins the climb down.  On
             the ground he collects his gear now at least 280 odd miles
             west of the Dark Lands.  He wonders if he has found the
             right place based on Chion's and others recollection.
             After wandering for some time Arawn encounters a person
             in the forest collecting berries and speaks to him.  The
             man confirms that he is indeed in the Pavassa forest where
             the party was just three months earlier.  It takes another
             hour before, with directions, Arawn finds the area and
             the invisible (but not to him) Sacred Forest magical border.
             Breathing he steps through.  Miklav said he would have
             permission and passes through without incident.]

            [Some time later Arawn finds the hidden Faerry Hill and locates
             a surprised Thig.  Soon word comes that Strie'bog is near
             his mothera's place but already has been alerted to Arawn's
             return.  Arawn asks for a meeting with Vul'heim and the
             other Elves and Faerry.  Soon a lunch is set and Arawn
             explains all that has recently occurred in vague details
             not wanting to break the Elder's warning to keep it secret.
             he mentions the Dark Elves, A'kril and even the Anwora.
             Soon the court is in a mild uproar of hushed voices talking
             about the events.  Soon Vul'heim decides to meet with
             Arawn later that day to discuss the details more in private.
             For hours private and public talks are held with the Sidh and
             Druids of the Sacred forest.  For Arawn it is a time to learn
             information from sources the Elder may not even have.]

            [the next morning on the 8th, Arawn wakes and after breakfast
             re-enters the normal forest.  Arawn wishes to get a feel for
             the forest to see if it has healed since Bohusara's illness
             that Strie'bog mentioned and her attack at Lake Oca.  Both
             Bohusara and Miklav were not met last night so only brief
             reports of the forest regrowing bigger and better is given.
             Exploring there does indeed seem a better feel to the forest
             than just three months earlier.  Heading back to the Sacred
             Forest for lunch, riders approach.  Arawn turns to smile
             and notice Strie'bog leading a group of 9 riders all Vassa.
             Strie'bog dismounts and approaches Arawn surprised to see
             him return.  Strie'bog explains the hunters are a small force
             him and Miklav setup as border patrol.  The adventurers as
             they like to be called rather than hunters are motivated to
             protect the forest at great cost.  Strie'bog explains that
             Lake Oca has grown fully back to the old vivid blue waters.
             There is no sign of the creatures or possible infestation
             the party saw with the squid like creature.  No more reports
             of gray creatures or their odd friends have been seen.
             Strie'bog also explains his mother is doing well and has
             been relaxing with Endo.  Both aren't ready for the next
             step but they are getting closer.  Strie'bog and Arawn
             return to the Sacred Forest for lunch and more meetings
             with the druids.  Arawn spends the rest of the afternoon
             talking and trying to obtain as much information as these
             people may know.  It is clear most are so secluded from
             normal Sidh kingdoms they aren't in the usual chain of
             gossip and information sharing.]

            [Later the night of the 8th, Arawn is spending time in the forest
             with Strie'bog.  Both men talk in the normal forest about
             the past three months.  Some distance away near a village in
             the dark a scream is heard.  Arawn seeing better at night
             leads Strie'bog through the forest to find a Wood Troll male
             attacking a female Vassa.  Arawn draws his sword as Strie'bog
             draws his Axe and both charge.  The wood troll seems to sniff
             the air and turns just in time to charge Arawn.  Arawn swings
             his sword and swipes a deep cut across the trolls chest.
             The troll swings his club and hits Arawn but doesn't penetrate
             the armor for damage.  Strie'bog twists to help the Female
             out and check her over.  Arawn thrusts under the trolls arms
             and impales the troll for a good wound.  But the Troll stumbles
             forward and swings his club in a dazed fashion.  The club
             easily misses the Alfar.  Arawn turns and slices the blade deep
             into the side of the troll and kills him.  Moments later the
             female is fine but both men aren't sure why the troll got this
             deep into the forest.  It is as if Kototh himself knew Arawn
             was near and Arawn was a beacon for such a creature, or he
             simply got lucky and avoided detection. The three escort the
             female to a nearby village and the men return to the Sacred
             Forest for the night.]

            [On the 9th, a couple hours before sunrise Arawn decides it
             is time to leave.  Fremea will be needing to hunt the Dirasa
             and he needs to return today.  Waiting for sunrise at breakfast
             Arawn asks Strie'bog if he wishes to return.  The Elder seems
             to imply a new mission is to be expected in just a week.
             Startled Strie'bog listens and considers it.  He has been
             with his mother for the past three months while the others
             returned to Marentia and then went to the Dark Lands.  his
             mother is doing well.  The forest is doing well.  He finally
             nods and says yes.  Eager for some more adventure.  Strie'bog
             will leave his wolf though as he senses it may not be needed.
             Plus the wolf seems to think it is here to protect Bohusara
             and that faze will have to pass.]

            [After spending two days in the Sacred Forest learning as much
             information as he can, Arawn and Strie'bog prepare to magically
             translocate back to the Dark Lands.  Miklav, Vul'heim, Mertz
             and Bohusara among many others see them off.  Thig explains he
             wishes he could go on another adventure but feels Fremea is
             a good replacement as a party flyer.  But Arawn can sense
             there is more to it than that the way he and Vul'heim have
             been hanging around each other.  Leaving into the normal
             forest both men prepare.  Arawn holds onto Strie'bog and
             casts first a levitate spell and then over the tree tops
             a translocation spell eastward.  Arawn and Strie'bog finds
             themselves hovering over the plains high above when suddenly
             2 large falcons pass them within a couple feet.  Both
             group startle each other and Strie'bog also falls from
             Arawn's embrace but is able to maintain his grip.  Arawn
             knows they are lowering fast so casts his next translocation
             spell for the final jump. Both end up in the forest near
             the Citadel and land hard on a haystack Arawn saw earlier.
             Both men roll and stand.  Arawn quickly gives a intro to the
             place as he rushes to find Fremea for the Dirasa attack.
             It is still dark out but soon Arawn finds Fremea and they
             head off for the Dirasa raid. Leaving Strie'bog with some
             of the other party members and Zhou.]

            [The next four days Arawn spends time in the forest and citadel
             grounds.  He spends time with the helpers Zhou and Oby gave
             for his armor and the mysteries of the flying castle.  He
             occasionally does spells in the forest for himself.  But
             mostly he explores the magics of the Citadel.  Watching and
             studying those who cast magic he may not have seen before.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Friday..or sooner :)

        GM: With the above posted that means the current player IBT actions
            are done.  At this point I just need to do 3 things.  Work
            on two new player characters (one is about 90% done, other
            I'm waiting for).  in the meantime I likely need a week to
            fill out the outline in my head for the adventure and flesh
            out the details.  So we are soon ready to start!  Maybe
            sooner than you think! :)

        GM: Player Vote needed! [Majority is 5 to pass]
            Vote Options: 1) For rule (using Max EL for modifier)
             2) Use castable EL  3) No Vote  4) Abstain  5) Other

            Note: This is only for Roll Modifier changes.  Not experience
            or expertise.

            #1: 5 [2 Private, Chion, Kiet, Chion, Raban]
            #2: 0
            #3  0
            #4: 1 [Ben'dar]
            #5: 2 [Z'leyra, Fremea]

            Those who can vote: 8  Votes in: 7

            * If you voted in email to me and didn't post it is private.
              I won't mention your name or vote but list the result
              above for book keeping.  It wasn't stated if that vote
              was to be public or not.  If its ok to release your name
              then let me know.

        GM: The vote is in and majority have voted for #1.  This means
            we'll start to use the new rule.  Now that the rule is in
            place I'll give my view so not to influence.  Personally
            I like the cast at level.  Just because you use a skill
            doesn't mean your assured of the highest chance of success.
            In swinging a sword you could be deflected by wind and
            your brain not be fast enough to react or body reflexes.
            This reflects the CAST AT thing.  If your programming new
            software the chance of success isn't assured to be the
            highest of your knowledge base.  A simple syntax error for
            example (thus reflected by CAST AT mistakes).  For magic
            the simple fact that you know higher ways to create a
            larger fireball doesn't mean your success rate will improve
            if you cast it at a lower EL.  This simply means at lower
            rate your words and gestures are less fluid.  Mistakes
            could happen.  With that said I could see both sides of
            the argument to reflect the opposite of what I just said.
            What happens though if you get a book or super Magic Item
            that increases your EL from 0 to EL10 (say a Divine Wand
            of Power).  Just because you hold this your chance of success
            improves by 20% even though your knowledge base is just started?
            Its those odd gray areas the reason me and my table group
            never liked the rule.  Another reason is the book keeping
            as I mentioned.  Since the rule is now in place I'll have
            to check spell cast levels AND now their max levels.  A bit
            more time and work.  Not a big deal.  Some have suggested
            doing a max list of all spells.  Good suggestion but when you
            have about 6-7 characters it could run into 300-400 spells. :)
            So I'm not saying I agree with the rule just that I'll abide
            by it in the next adventure per the group's wishes.  This
            does as I mentioned mean Balance will be given to the other
            side as well.  So tactics may change.  though technically
            for the next adventure it won't matter. Thanks for the
            votes.  In the upcoming updates I'll announce more changes
            on rule situations.  Mainly for combat. Each adventure I
            have invoked rules as player experience improves.  Stay
            tuned for those details.