[pnpgm] Languages and Translocation spell

john haight lithalis at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 17:51:34 CEST 2009

<GM: Arawn will you really do Translocate up blind knowing folks
            might be moving about?  Hate for you to merge with Raban or
            something.>

   I'd hate that too but i'm not sure why this would happen. If this was a serious risk in PnP with Teleport and Translocation the spells likely wouldn't find much use. After all, just with our group, we would be taking serious risks everytime Chion teleported the party. Considering that Teleport is often to an unseen area, and on top of that, that it can be used to teleport to locations that are unknown/unfamiliar to the caster (albeit at a penalty) the risk of death (aside from Teleport Error rolls for going to an unknown location) would make the spell almost too risky to use.
   Something as simple as Teleporting to well known location is fraught with peril as at any moment there could be something occupying the space that the caster teleports too (with a big group the risk that at least one person will 'merge' with something increases). Cities would be filled with wandering people and wilderness with new plant growth or animals, and either location would likely have insects in them at that moment (they dominate the world as is) and each teleport is a gamble with death.
   Translocation, unlike Teleport, can only be used to travel to known locations and costs more to learn (likely due to its longer range and potential offensive use). It seems odd to create a 'merging' risk outside of 'blind' teleports or abyssmal failures. Just putting out my two-cents.
   Depending on how this situation with these spells is clarified would determine if Arawn Translocates with Fremea. I do understand the surprise factor with any crew nearby but they should recognize us before striking and likely would be stunned/surprised long enough to figure out who we were I would imagine.

Languages-

   Arawn is interested in learning other languages but I don't want to hog all the days. Scott, any idea how many days are free in regards to using the necklace?