[pnpgm] Game Update #12 - File #140 - Ship Boredom ends - OOCUnit conversion

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Mon Jun 1 20:40:31 CEST 2009

OOC: of course

PnP Combat movement:
Speed in mile per hour = (movement rate * 10 feet / 12 sec turn)*3600
sec/hour*1mile/5280 feet = 0.568 * movement rate
In Nautical Miles thats 0.494 * movement rate

Or inversely 24 knots is 48.5'/turn

Movement types based on data from Olympics and other events and history:
long walk=1/3 move, walk=1/2 move, jog=move, long run= 2x move, short
run=3x move, sprint=4x move

long walks can be done for days
walks of 8 hours dangerous
jogs of 4 hours are dangerous=double time marches?
with long runs of 2 hours being dangerous as marathon runners are in bad
shape at finish
short runs are 4 minute area with minimal chance of damage
sprints are 1 minute area

If that data is used then a fast water creature could sprint fast enough
to ketch us, but cannot keep up that pace for long before getting tired.

So I too would expect some Magic to be involved as 1 ahead of us would
have a fair chance to accidentally encounter us with a chance to reach us.
The one behind would have needed to chase and thus be faster and to
coordinate with another required high speed and planning
But random encounters rarely worry about the details ;)
Do not forget it would have needed to spot the fast ship at great range
to have time to intercept the course.
What makes more sense is we were spotted from below by very fast
swimmers hunting as a pair.
But then they should be closer, which is what I think the story will
change too.
Reduce 2 miles to much lower range to get the 15 second time estimate back?
In that case, they would attack from 2 directions as they better control
where the prey can escape too.
Worse such tactics are more often used by a pack and these are the
scouts to scare the prey toward the larger group in ambush!

Luckily I do not think sea dragons hunt in packs