[pnpgm] Languages (or, Kiet Stands Alone?) (think Rocky and Bullwinkle)

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Mon Jul 20 22:48:59 CEST 2009

Raban grins, "Choose your Gods well or they may choose you whether you
wish it or not! I welcomed mine into my heart, to find she had always
been there. So know that many Gods treat people as toys to play with or
as markers for scoring in a great game. Not all are so callous about it
nor unfair and aid their people in exchange or otherwise reward them. I
enjoy being watched by my Goddess and know she treats me as I deserve. I
know wrong actions may be punished in some manner so it is my own choice
whether to do what I know is wrong. Is that so bad? Not everyone wants
to be judged, for good or ill, so they avoid the Gods or at least think
they do. But if your actions are important, then the Gods will be
involved somewhere. At the minimum your actions will entertain them and
they may give a little push at the right point if its needed. Using a
language of the Gods is quite likely to be noticed if it is not used in
the God's best interests. And I would expect they will want payment in
some manner, no matter how it was used. But equally some expect it to be
used, Sidh in casting Sidh spells, Dvallin in making great works. Such
use is proper and rarely against the gods desires. Enemies of those gods
can rarely even use such language or spells because they are so
fanatically opposed. No, it will be humans who abuse such and they will
be watched in some manner because humans can change sides so easily. So
I will be watched by the Sidh to see if it was right to trust me with
the Sidh Tongue and Spells. I may even be watched by Sidh Gods at times,
but I am not concerned because I already know right from wrong. But
should I learn some language of Chaos or Kotothi, would such be safe to
use? Those I expect corrupt you from within, more so if they are used.
It could be handy to understand an opponent who is speaking such
languages but is the risk worth it? And to use such a language implies
you are also using their magic, neither of which is good for your soul.
So I would recommend learning only languages you are allied with in some
manner and avoid the ones opposed to you. And always have a very good
reason for why you wished to learn any of those languages. I intend to
learn Elder and Neutral languages when I can because I am allied to
those and can use their magic. Sidh, Elder and Neutral are the most
compatible by nature anyway."