[pnpgm] Reply to Raban re armor

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Sat Feb 7 02:10:37 CET 2009

Z'leyra responds "I would be honored to make armor for you. I could
include gauntlets and boots that could assist your incredible hand to
hand fighting skills. What type armor would you want? I can make and
enchant leather, chain or plate. But the tougher the starting material
the longer it will take to make. For instance plate armor alone would
take at least seven weeks. Perhaps chainmail, helm, gauntlets and boots
could be done in five to six weeks of effort. Such would protect you
from minor blows and greatly reduce injury from greater blows, similar
to what I wear. It would only take a couple weeks to outfit you in fully
enchanted leather...but that would still allow some injury from lesser
blows and would wear out much faster."

     "Back when I was less adept at enchantment I used to wear enchanted
ringmail covering enchanted leather or cloth but it now takes me less
time to make and fully enchant brigandine, scale or banded ring which
provides as much protection and lasts longer. Fully enchanted these
provide just a bit better protection than normal plate armor. That would
be the least armor I would suggest any wear while adventuring and
fighting such opponents as we often seem to face. Those that melee on
the front lines should have armor even better than that. Armor such as
Ben'Dar or I wear. Ben'Dar's leather started out as tough as chainmail
and I enchanted it further."

    "Unfortunately I am not yet a bowyer, so I cannot make and enchant a
bow fit for you...yet. Someday perhaps. As far as costs...I consider
creating the equivalent of one magic armor and one magic weapon for each
fellow party member to be part of my share in the party...a way to make
all of us both more effective and more survivable. If you choose to
retire from the party, well we can consider the matter anew. Gauntlets
enchanted to boost your close combat skills will count as your magical
weapon. Remember that there are others waiting for me to have time to
create these items for them as well. Time is a precious commodity for me
as I have many things I must do and must divide up my time to do them.
Possibly we shall start with just the armor and create the rest when
more time becomes available. Some, such as Xian, chose to not have me
make such items for them or can create their own."