[pnpgm] Game Update #26 - File #288 - Party decides Whitney's fate

Murtha, Mark D (N-Innovar) mark.d.murtha at ulalaunch.com
Tue Aug 4 21:36:41 CEST 2009

>         [Ma 24th, 1634TH]
>
>           The next day the party quietly gather to discuss what they will
>         do with Whitney [... edited for brevity ...]
>
>           Zhou then turns to the others to see what they think.

"I say we learn more about him, and after a week or three we can decide to tell him about our mission," responds Kell.  "I suspect there is more to him than we know.  He may be valuable in Katai and helpful finding and destroying the Vong."

>                                 ----------------------------
>

>         [Junaqa 7th, 1634TH]
>         [Winds: Average, Speed 6]
>         [Distance this day: 30]
>         [Weather: Overcast, Storms]
>         [Temperatures: 55-74]
>
>           The party is awaken by early morning storms.  Eating a breakfast
>         is difficult as the ship tosses and twists.  Those resting from
>         skill training, tasks, chores or study on deck notice the clouds
>         seem to get darker and darker.  The waves seem to get higher and
>         higher.  To those with a keen eye it becomes obvious the crew,
>         and Captain become more nervous.  While the ship has seen half
>         a dozen or more good sized storms this one seems to be not ending
>         anytime soon.  It has been going on for over three hours now
>         as the ship continues south.

Kell watches the storm with the party and crew, and he looks more worried than most.  His newly acquired seaman skills still leave him unsure.  He's never been a big fan of oceans, preferring the mountains and deserts.  Thinking out loud, "This looks really bad, very bad."  He is a bit green again, after going through the other storms and being ok.

>           When the Captain eyes a towering forge like cloud coming fast he
>         quickly comes to a decision. "Batten things down tightly.  This
>         one is going to be rough.  Everyone not skilled enough to do
>         so below decks.  I personally say all should be below.  I will
>         remain with the first mate and three of the sailors.  All others
>         below deck unless you have to remain top side.  You risk your
>         own life.  This one looks nasty and I've never seen it this large
>         and active before."  He turns to the first mate and orders the
>         crew to draw in any loose gear and tighten up the ship even more
>         than is now.  The ramp to the hold and stairs hatches are closed.
>         The secondary rig is lowered and secure.  The primary rigging
>         is tightened down and only one light sail remains.
>
>           Those on deck notice the storm to be actually 3 or 4 of them all
>         seeming to come together into one massive storm.  While the
>         crew doesn't say it, to some with sea knowledge it almost looks
>         like a hurricane.  Massive sheets of rain, waves that crest at
>         this point around 10-15 and at times goes over the deck rails.
>         Massive amounts of lightning and thunder all around.  The ship
>         seems to be moving about like a cork in a waterfall.  When the
>         Captain and First mate tie ropes to themselves some in the
>         party become even more concerned.  But it is in case one goes
>         overboard or gets tossed about.
>
>           Since the ship captain and first mate are fighting the storm
>         a sailor approaches with word from the Captain.  "If this storm
>         gets worse it could sink us.  Be prepared.  Pack what you need
>         in case we have to abandon her.  I'm told some might have magic
>         to save the horses but we are at least 3 miles from shore.  We
>         could also be lost after the storm.  If we abandon ship the
>         ship's boats will be lowered but these waves likely will do bad
>         for them as well.  This is the roughest storm I've ever seen.
>         If you have gods pray for us..."  Then the sailor moves back down
>         below to secure the store rooms.

Kell ponders this mightly.  He tries to pace around and back and forth, as much as he can in the confined, rolling and rocking spaces.  It is more of a falling around.

Finding Chion and Arawn specifically, and the others as best he can, Ha'Kell asks, "Can we evacuate the crew, our party and horses to the shore before the ship sinks with magic?  Better to have most of us survive then go down with the ship.  Then perhaps someone can stay and if the ship goes down, rescue the captain and crew still here by magic?

"If the Blue Moon survives, then we can rejoin her after the storm.  Fix her and be on our way.  If not, we can acquire new transport and perhaps help our esteemed Captain in his misfortune."