[pnpgm] Game Update #2 - File #4 - Ki'ama holds his meeting..

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Apr 10 08:43:04 CEST 2009

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Fe
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R?.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #2 in sequence (file #4)

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          I am good with either style. What ever is simplest for you to do
          I  would say, since you do a lot already.

          Fremea sits quietly, not eating a lot, being a Fea and all, and
          wonders why Oby has given her a warning. She seems almost
          withdrawn to most of the party, and she really seems to keep to
          herself with the new people that are around her.
        GM: Ack.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Intro]
          [Not shown]
        GM: Will place the intro into the intro file along with Kiet's.

        [Apris 15th, 1634TH], 1st day of Adventure #5]
        [Location: High Elder's domain - Citadel, Dark Lands, Forest]

             Near 10am, Oby returns to the feast hall.  By now everyone
        is full of food and a bit nervous as to what could come next.
        Some consider it rude that the High Elder didn't even eat with
        the party but he must be busy with domain administration.  Oby
        leads the party through the passages to the meeting hall the
        party first came to almost two weeks earlier.

             "By entering the meeting you agree not to give any of the
        details of the meeting or mission to anyone in the Dark Lands.
        This is for secrecy that will require mission integrity.  If
        others found out," Oby pauses and eyes most of the party, "It
        could lead to serious problems." Oby pauses briefly and then
        opens the door to the meeting hall.  The hall hasn't changed
        much from the last time except it seems a bit darker.  Along
        the walls the tapestries are different from last time.  Each
        person takes entrance and finds a comfortable seat on the many
        satin backed chairs.  Up front the "throne" seen before gleams
        with the magical jewels seen last time.  Sitting there in quiet
        conversation is High Elder Ki'ama.  In front of him and blocking
        most of the view of the Elder is Suca, the security chief for this
        domain. As guard leader and intelligence advisor he holds high
        sway in this domain but rarely flaunts his power.  To the party's
        left and Elder's right is a small table with items on it covered
        by satin cloths.  On the opposite side of the throne like chair
        is a slat board standing on wooden tripod.  It must be used for
        presentations or the like.

             Farseeker next to Ben'dar leans to him and whispers, "is that
        a gray hair?"  Ben'dar who seems to have a cushion with a lump in
        it seems oddly uncomfortable.  Maybe it was that odd dream?
        Farseeker grins and then looks around the room.  The dim lights
        seem to block the view of the tapestries.  Those with good
        natural night vision notice they are a bit blurred.  Maybe due
        to magics or on purpose.

             Suddenly the back door opens and Oby comes in and directs
        a man into the room.  He stands just over six feet tall and about
        155-160 pounds from the looks.  He seems in his late twenties
        and the females do a slight double take.  The man is quite striking
        in appearance.  Even Raban notices the handsome features of the
        man and frowns, knowing competition could be bad.  Unali and
        Z'leyra notice that this new stranger could be even more handsome
        than Raban.  His bearing reminds the party of Kasha or that of
        a merchant who might talk you out of your own clothes.  On his
        hip is a empty sword sheath.  He holds a brown hat in his hands
        since Oby forbids hats being worn inside.  His tunics, pants
        are colorful of style worn by merchants not working class.  He
        removes his gloves and his boots shuffle as he moves.  He wears
        a full gray with brown edged cloak on his shoulders.  "One more
        for the mission, sir." Oby bows and then backs out of the room
        before he does he continues, "he was a bit delayed for the feast."
        Oby then backs out and closes the door.  Not by design but by
        more accident the man takes a seat besides Raban a bit confused
        look on his face why he might be here.  The man knows he was
        talked briefly to by Suca and Oby and then they offered him to
        travel with a party back to "civilization".  The man looks around
        the room at the assorted party and wonders if this is the group.

             Minutes later, Suca finally turns around and then walks down
        the center aisle with a journal pad in his arms.  Suca doesn't
        glance at anyone but just marches to the rear and then stands
        by the door as if guarding it.  High Elder Ki'ama brings up his
        left hand holding a small wine crystal glass and sips it.  He
        spends several long moments looking at the assorted mass of human
        and Sidh alike.  He finally places the glass down on the armrest
        and stands.

             "Welcome back friends," Ki'ama starts out and lifts his arms
        up palms outward in a gesture of peace and welcome.   Ki'ama then
        glances at Arawn and Fremea, "please don't extend your senses for
        the next few moments.  I need to enable a powerful ward.  It could
        give you intense head pain and possible injury."  Without waiting
        he turns and pushes a gem on the right armrest.  As before a small
        pop is heard and a hum.  Raban and the others recall this ward
        from before.  Ki'ama had explained it as a blocker from prying eyes
        outside the room and even if possible from the gods themselves.
        "It may be hard to believe but it isn't just other wizards or forces
        I wish not to listen in but the gods as well.  Its an ancient ward
        spell few know of.  The reason will be apparent soon."

             "First congratulations on the previous mission against the
        intruder to the Lands." The high Elder gives a quick glance at
        the stranger so as if not wanting to go into great details of
        another previous private mission.  But then seems to soften up.
        "There were witnesses and as a result it will not be a secret
        for much longer.  How you spread the details through music," he
        glances at Raban, "lore and legends," he glances at Strie'bog
        or simple tavern stories," he glances at Ben'dar and others.
        "That is up to you, especially when you leave these lands.  Here
        such details could and should be left a bit more vague."

             "Arawn has been busy on trying to learn the secrets of the
        flying island and the deals made.  With the information you gave
        us on the debriefing we tried to research some of the details as
        well.  I'm sure Arawn may know much more than we do.  As our
        records on such things are a bit more elusive in the areas of
        non human knowledge.  Maybe he'll share such knowledge with you
        or us if he wishes.  As I explained before the island seemed to
        be the last part of what once was Lymria.  My guess is that
        A'kril killed his master or took over control of the island.  One
        thing that Arawn seems not have learned that we did is how A'kril
        survived this long.  it seems from our own research into the Record
        of the Gods that the Dark Elves found the island floating high
        above them.  Somehow they used magic to get there.  Finding
        the guards, A'kril and others inside they found all asleep in
        a deep trance.  Based on what we could learn from the books and
        and Record is in the deal at the end of the Lymrian War with the
        gods was a betrayal.  Maybe one of the gods or all of them
        felt the power was too much for a mere mortal.  They put the
        island and all those inside into deep trances.  But the Seker and
        Anwora were immune to the long term effects.  It would seem the
        Anwora eventually woke up over the centuries.  It was erratic and
        random.  He would find himself awake for short or long durations.
        Then suddenly go back into a deep trance.  Over the centuries his
        mind must've soured and as a result he became mad.  Based on
        what has been told by you this seems confirmed.  The Seker never
        slept and was awake all those centuries only able to guide the
        island at a level largely decreased.  As a result he couldn't
        guide the island only keep it aloft.  The island must've floated
        for centuries over the Great Eastern Ocean for centuries.  It
        must've seen storms and the seasons.  We suspect the gods lost
        track or interest in it.  They allowed the Dark Elves to wake
        up and break the sleeping spell.  By then the spell was weak
        any apprentice might have done so.  A'kril then ordered the
        island on a more direct path west where he found our continent.
        I suspect he didn't know of this place but don't know for sure."
        Ki'ama takes another sip of wine and then continues.  "Once in
        the north he captured the Ipanza to study them.  Based on what
        you have told us, I suspect the Dark Elves had a long term
        agenda.  It would seem A'kril was playing it day by day.  Less
        guided by evil intent but by random curiosity."

             "The treasure you found there is for you to keep. I hear
        a nice profit of some 90 gold or so was made.  A good haul for
        such a short mission.  But the next I suspect there will not be
        as great profit as this one.  We did ask to study the books
        and magic items.  A'kril's armor seems to be the key that held
        his sway over the Elementals.  It gave him a boost to that
        ability.  Our wizards, who studied the items but didn't know their
        origin or destination, suspect it was a divine boosted item.
        Maybe that was part of his deal with the gods. Maybe it was his
        master's and he just used it. The other items were mundane and
        nothing special to us.  But then there was the Elven Plate that
        Arawn claimed.  It was an interesting item and could be a bonus
        or a curse for him. It is up to him to explain the properties.
        We wish not to keep those items.  Though I suspect the plate
        armor could be a beacon for dangerous times.  It is so rare and
        so...interesting that it might scream to some to find it.  But
        who in this world could afford to buy it?  If a king sold his
        entire fleet and treasury away it might not be enough.  But
        enough on that thing."

             "The books are something that intrigued us.  The two prisoners
        you sent back weren't questioned by you once back.  So we took
        that opportunity and questioned them.  From them we learned the
        Lymrian language and how to read the books within a day.  I
        believe Arawn learned the same thing.  As to the guards they
        seemed to be the last normal citizens of an  ancient land.  We
        granted them to live here and asked if they wanted their memory
        wiped.  We did warn them that if such memories were sought
        after it could lead others to find the island or its magics.  Both
        agreed to clear their memory of Lymria except for their own past
        family life.  After three days they were released.  Both decided
        to live in the eastern Chaos domains.  I suspect they will live
        a decent life as guards there."

             The High Elder goes to the slat board and lifts up the white
        cloth.  It reveals a list of items in Katai.  "This is the info
        on the books and scrolls you can read later if need be.  Four
        were just common texts on weapon creation and use.  One was on
        stone work and art. The 7th book was first of three legal texts.
        The first was on how magic should be used.  It was for Lymria
        and even they seemed to have some legal doctrine for magic but
        the age of the book might have predated the Lymrian War.  The
        other two are simple legal code books. One was a culture book
        on the Lymrian Houses.  Three general history books on the Mer
        People, the God War and something else called a Govan's Challenge.
        Likely on some master to master duel.    Four books were on
        more specific histories of Lymria it seems.  One book on a
        biography seemed to be ego oriented boring read.  A more mundane
        philosophy of nature book.  There were four travel journals of
        details and places on the Lymrian islands.  Scholars will find
        those most interesting.  The last book was a magical journal
        written by some apprentice but only tells of his training and
        no spells."

             "the Scrolls are more interesting short reads.  You can
        look at our list later for the more mundane ones.  One magical
        scroll had the Entangle spell in it." Ki'ama glances at Kiet
        and then continues, "other scrolls had wakefulness, disintegration,
        tracking, invisibility, revelation, healing light, shadow bands,
        chain lightning and finally animal sight.  It looks like three
        of the scrolls are coded.  We did not want to decode them as some
        wizards place intense codes on them.  It could backfire and if
        failure occurs they could be destroyed.  So I leave it up to you
        to make the choice to decode them or study them over a long term
        basis to get the best way to deal with it."

             Ki'ama then pulls the first slat board off the tripod and
        reveals another list of items. "The maps were translated as
        well.  The first was a continent size map of some place called
        the Eastern Lands." Suddenly Kiet squirms in his seat.  He has
        heard rumors of such a place on the island but chalked it up to
        drunks.  "This place I've not heard of.  It could also be of
        a long lost place as well.  The two other smaller maps were
        Area maps one was indeed Lymria." Ki'ama grins and looks to the
        party. "That alone could be quite a rare find for scholars. "the
        other was labeled only as the Forest of Quz.  We suspect that
        was a big forest on Lymria.  But little detail is given.  The
        last map was simply labeled as the Shadow Islands.  Another place
        I've not heard of.  Maybe Novasa has heard of such a place.  I
        will have to ask him later."

             "I believe Arawn got most of these scrolls and books as well
        as all of the maps.  Maybe he'll see fit to turn them over to
        a scholar like Kaylle?  Let's see, Ben'dar...no it was Kiet.  You
        got the flag?  We suspect and it was confirmed by the guards to
        be the Lymrian flag.  Another historical rare item to have."

             Ki'ama pauses and takes another sip clearly figuring out best
        to continue. "Then there was the two Tomes - the Blue and Red
        books.  Arawn allowed us to examine them as well.  The Red ruby
        book is a major spell tome.  It has little text but has spells
        called Repair Breech, Weights, Memorize, Malestrom, Healing Light,
        and Tracking.  We suspect some of those were naval related spells
        for a island culture.  I've personally not heard of three of
        those until now.  We did take notes and will study them later.
        Maybe if they are not so dangerous our own people will be able
        to learn and use them someday.  Now the other book is the most
        powerful item I believe from the island.  Elven Plate and
        Elemental Armor is nothing compared to the dangerous ability
        of the Blue book."

             "Based on the text on gods like Thor, Ashur and AESHMA DAEVA,
        history and information on creatures like Storm Dragons, Storm
        Giants, Sea Giants, Squids, Water Elementals, Mer people and
        Trold folk.  Based on intense information on natural magical items
        related to such topics as sea powers and other things.  Based
        on the tome cover itself I suspect this is the long lost "Hurricane
        Tome."  If the old ancient records are correct this is a powerful
        tome of magic.  It has Sea Powers, Storm Powers, Water Powers,
        and many other water related spells lost to mankind.  But the
        spell that gives me grief now is the spell it is named for - The
        Hurricane.  A spell long lost to mankind, and for good reason,
        that can create hurricanes.  If the Lymrians had this book it
        is clear some long lost survivor of the islands destruction knew
        about it.  They must've spread word of it and it became myth and
        now fact.  That book could devastate nations and wipe places
        like Lemasa away in total." Ki'ama comes to stand near Arawn
        and stares at him.  "You have this book.  You know it has a ward
        on it that prevents further study of those spells.  We could
        end the ward but it might destroy the book.  I have asked that
        we keep none of the treasure.  But now knowing its true purpose
        I plead with you for me to keep that book.  If someone knew of
        it and you had it on you they would do anything to get it.  With
        me it would be safe here.  Ironically among powerful wizards
        I would keep it safe.  I ask here in front of witnesses and
        hope you will do this.  If not the others must know of the great
        danger you hold as you leave this place.  Answer me when you
        decide, I will give you time to think on it."

             "Now let's get back to less serious matters.  The apprentice
        Chion captured and was killed.  I know why she was there.  She
        had stolen my ring.  A ring loaned out to a fellow Law Master.
        It was used for some rituals.  But even he didn't know its true
        power.  It has great time powers that could bend time far more
        than a common time traveler could dream of or do.  I suspect
        the apprentice offered the ring to A'kril. In exchange for the
        Hurricane book.  That is where she likely turned over the Dark
        Lands map, Z'leyra has, over to A'kril.  My...aide went to
        retrieve the ring and ended up killing her.  It was his single
        goal and Sven was otherwise occupied with Itom's men fighting
        him when you showed up with the treasure.  It is sad that he
        had to kill her but his...justice is swift.  It must be known
        that theft from me is not tolerated.  It is one thing I do not
        tolerate.  Based on his dealing with her he learned she was
        offered the hurricane book.  In exchange for the Time Ring.
        The ring we suspect could've been used to travel back to Lymria
        and reinvent his own history.  You ladies and gentlemen stopped
        that threat.  If she knew of the book then Itom might.  If she
        does then certainly the Sorceress will soon.  This is why
        I ask Arawn to turn it over.  If not I suggest destroying the
        book for the benefit of us all.  As to Itom I have talked to her
        and she will not bother your group at all.  She is too weak
        to challenge me.  While the Chaos wizards outnumber the others
        they know the balance of power is still against them.  I suspect
        the Sorceress has some ties into the whole mess.  How else would
        the apprentice know of the ring going back to me on that day?
        The guards were killed by the apprentice.  If she knows of the
        place I can't prove it or her involvement."

             "The mission was a complete success.  I'm sure some of you
        think I had something to do with it." Ki'ama glances and smiles
        at Chion and Ben'dar and some of the others randomly.  "I assure
        you I would not need a island to sway the tide.  I could care
        less of such a place.  I simply didn't want others to obtain it
        and use it.  The Expansionist would use it to conquer the rest
        of the middle world with it.  While I do not care much of what
        they do here or the outside world it would bring war to our
        lands.  That I can not tolerate."

             "Before I reveal where I need your help in next I need to
        remind you of some of the past.  History is important and without
        we are doomed to ignorance.  Some four centuries ago the Zen'da
        plains were raided by a strange force of creatures.  I believe
        Strie'bog may have told you of these people later on.  You know
        them as the Gray Creatures.  By the time the first villages were
        wiped out and the Zen'da had mustered a defense the Grays had
        conquered at least 60% of the Plains and nearby areas as well.
        In just one season they had gained more than the Donaran Host
        had in its entire history on the plains.  The Champions and
        Shamans finally found ways to deal with them.  It took thousands
        and sheer numbers to overwhelm them.   By the end of the war
        nine out of ten warriors were dead.  Almost the entire Helva and
        Zen'da cultures were destroyed.  Most nearby cultures took it
        as war among themselves or disease.  But I suspect the true
        history was covered up for the public not to panic.  How these
        creatures got there is not known or where they came from.  Most
        were wiped out and burnt.  Only a few were saved or buried."

             "Back to the present time, the Vampire Ezam had reclaimed
        a closed L'p'nthian fort in the hills south of the plains.  He
        had learned of the Blue Bugs.  These bugs could control human
        minds.  These bugs were the long lost slaves to the Grays.  Even
        after all this time they lived underground.  Ezam found out
        and allied with the Bova to gain slaves and warriors to conquer
        the other Zen'dan tribes.  Using the blue bugs he would control
        slaves and grow by each conquest.  He allied with the Witches
        of L'p'nth and the Bova.  But we also learned through rumors he
        had a connection here in the Dark Lands.  I am not afraid to
        admit I fear it was again the Sorceress.  What better way to
        regain favor of the L'p'nth or expand through power than ally
        with a mad vampire?  Again I have no proof of this.  But rumors
        did abound eight months ago.  When you learned that Ezam was
        after graves that was another piece of this puzzle.  He was
        in search of the Claw." Ki'ama goes to the table and reveals
        the Claw sitting on the table after lifting one cloth. "Yes
        I had figured such things on some history I ...learned from
        my ...experience and lifetime.  The Claw controls animals and
        this is how the grays could control Zen'da horses to turn on
        their own warriors.  It is not evil or good.  It is a simple
        natural item, not magical, but living in some fashion.  It seems
        the Grays use natural living things as their technology.  The
        reason Z'leyra could not learn from the gods of the device will
        become clear soon.  Ezam didn't know the history I suspect of
        the Grays but knew the Claw and the Blue Bugs.  Maybe through
        the same history i have here.  There is another connection to
        a source in the Lands helping him."

             "Then just five months ago you went to the Vassa forest
        and found more Grays at this Lake Oca place.  You saw more
        first hand of their animal technology." Ki'ama lifts more
        cloths revealing a staff, a desicated gray lump and a piece
        of something. "The staff that can transform from solid to
        a snake like creature.  The orbs you asked me to research. I
        knew what they were without researching them.  They are a way
        of communication.  The history I have says they are living
        things, but this one is clearly dead, that one person holds.
        the other person, distance not known for limits, holds or
        wears the other.  I suspect it might work like an illusion
        and form a face?  But I am not positive on that.  Somehow
        they can communicate over at least 100 miles.  But I don't
        know of their true range.  At Lake Oca you saw the squid creature,
        the female Gray and the snake helmet Arawn wore.  Based on
        questions we asked in the briefing of Arawn and others like
        Caladan who gave such details freely, it may have been a tool
        of some sort.  The vision of the mountain Arawn saw may be
        a long lost base or their own place of origin."

             "These creatures are called Vong from what I have learned.
        They are not of our world, of the True World.  This is why the
        gods did not know of them or help in learning more of them.  This
        is why further questions on them could be dangerous.  We believe
        they are from another world or plane." The party takes all this
        in and recalls Lady Varo.  She seemed to be from a place not
        of this world as well.  Scholars argue over more than one world
        out there but no one has proven it.  Some even believe of
        a multiverse of countless planes and worlds.  Some even laugh
        at the though of more people just like you out there on other
        worlds dead or living a life as a baker or artist not a fighter
        or wizard.  Such belief is not common and taken with ridicule or
        hatred.  "How they got here and where they are from we don't
        know.  But I suspect based on the Lake Oca events they may have
        returned.  If they gain another foothold in the Middle World
        it could be massive devastation.  You may recall me speaking
        last time for those who were here, of a second plague to the
        land.  Prophecy can be interpreted so many ways.  Some of you
        thought it might be Fremea's dealings with the Seker.  But
        a prophecy is never fully realized.  For one event it could
        be for many others.  I can predict I'll eat a egg soon.  By
        doing that next week I have done so.  By repeating the same
        thing later I have done it again.  While I believe some of that
        old prophecy was indeed the flying island and what the party
        here dealt with it.  I also believe it talks of the next great
        threat of the Vong's return."

             "One reason I needed time for you to wait here was for me
        to gain more intelligence.  My sources aren't as wide as you
        may think.  I can observe and contact some groups in other lands
        but my reach is limited.  But over the last six months I have
        heard rumors of trouble and missing people elsewhere.  I did
        more research and one of my contacts believes the Vong could
        be in that land.  He did not say it as such but through our...
        magical observation we believe they are there.  The thing about
        the Vong is they have no magical talent at all.  In fact when
        you sense them they are a void in the fabric of space.  The
        Sidh will not detect them but likely a blank spot.  This is why
        their magical defense is so great.  Spells against them will
        be useless.  This is why I called for fighters for this mission.
        A simple fight will be best.  This doesn't mean magic will not be
        useful in other areas around the Vong.  But based on the Shaman
        attempts on the plains spells backfired massively against them.
        My personal belief is since they are not from our world the gods
        do not grant them magical ...power for lack of a better word.
        Everything even plants or dirt has some mana bearing to it.
        Even the chair you sit on in theory could be detected if one was
        attuned well enough.  Most of the time these idle things like
        chairs are so void of mana presence it is just black to most
        that can sense them.  By instinct it is ignored.  This is why
        even a common peasant has some aura to them even though they
        can't cast magic.  The gods touch everyone in some fashion.
        Some might call it talent and that talent might be their aura.
        But for the most obvious like spell casters their aura is bright.
        The Sidh I'm sure can ignore the weak mana sources like the
        common person and just identify the real ones.  Using some
        maps and magics of our own we can search for these...mana voids
        in mass." Ki'ama pauses and takes another sip of wine.

             "The source of a few spots seems to be over the map of Katai.
        The ritual isn't perfect we only know it is Katai based on the
        ritual used.  We can't pinpoint it down to a province or even
        a city. It took four days just to learn that much.  Likely at
        the attention of the gods.  This is why I have the ward up. I
        rather draw less attention.  If they knew of a threat to their
        own divinity ...to beings with no touch by them it could be
        interesting to see how they might act.  They could see it
        as a global threat and break the agreement to come here and
        start over entirely.  You know what that might mean.  They
        could send forces or simply sit on it and do nothing.  Knowing
        the gods they will bicker over it for some time before they
        do something.   This is why Oby had warned Arawn this might
        not be so good for him to hear.  The gods in some eyes are
        absolute beings who have no faults.  But this shows that even
        they can't touch or affect or know everything.  Could they
        have prevented access to our world?  Maybe.  That is not for
        me to know.   Would they be willing to allow it or stop it?"
        Ki'ama turns to Arawn. "Gods are powerful beings but it seems
        they are limited in some ways as well.  I hope you hear these
        words and accept it that maybe even the gods have some things
        to learn or deal with.  Some gods were humans raised to divine
        levels so maybe that human flaw is still there."

             Ki'ama reveals a map of Katai and the region south of the
        Dark Lands on the slat board.  "I need your party to travel to
        Katai.  Meet with my contact and find out what he knows.  Maybe
        there are things he can find out I can not."

             "Excuse me sir," Caladan speaks up, "this ritual you speak
        of can't pinpoint it further?  Can we learn it?"

             "Sadly there is no time.  It requires a highly skilled person
        in the Tracking spell itself.  As high a level as Chion is in
        his teleport ability.  When you get to those levels you can begin
        to build variations around spells.  The gods do allow such things
        and encourage new twists within reason.  One of my apprentices has
        been trained in the spell and is of sufficient level to use it.
        He will be joining your group when you are ready.  He will know
        some of the details of your mission but not all.  This is for
        his safety as well as yours.  Once in Katai he could cast the
        spell a few times and maybe pinpoint it better.  At least down
        to a range or section of Katai like Upper, Middle or Lower Katai."

             "For those not familiar to Katai it is quite the empire of
        empires.  Some scholars down there believe it is the birthplace
        of all mankind.  Their history goes back 3,000 years while most
        cultures only a third of that.  Katai also invented the printing
        process.  Some 8 or 9 centuries ago magic was completely banned
        due to the Black Heresy.  From that exiles went and helped to form
        L'p'nth and these lands.  The emperor is secluded in the City of
        Iron in Katai city and most treat him as a god.  Thus there is
        no religious tolerance in the empire.  There are over 7 million
        people in the empire the largest in the Middle World.  In the 20
        cities there are one million people alone in 20 provinces.  Katai
        city has 200,000 people and the largest city in the middle world.
        To put that for most of you Sivas city has only 40,000 or so.  Most
        Katai considered the wise folks stay in Katai and all others
        are barbarians.  There is a strong caste system in Katai and
        the ranks are obvious.  The great majority of people are of peasant
        stock and hard laborers.  The merchants, artists and other working
        people are the middle layers.  Then there is the nobility that
        make up the rich elite.  Deference by caste is strong and obedience
        is expected or compelled.  Most Kataians are loyal and honorable.
        Family is vital and leads to social status.  Most in katai are
        barely over 5 feet and only around 130 pounds.  Light frames and
        small bodies.  They favor swords and spears.  Oby can direct you
        to my public library for more books on Katai if needed."

             High Elder Ki'ama then takes one final sip of his wine and
        turns to the group.  He approaches each person as close as he
        can and stares them in the eye as he speaks to each one. "Arawn,
        now you see why we had to warn you.  The information about the
        gods not knowing everything or being all-powerful might offend
        or disturb you.  I hope you understand that even gods had some
        origin.  If they knew everything then there would only be one
        god why need others? Whoever the First was he clearly made more
        than one for Balance.  So even they may not know of the Vong.
        If they do know then it may be obvious they do not wish to know.
        When you travel to Katai your face wrap will not be possible
        to wear.  That is the thing bandits do.  You will be stopped
        at every post and street there are guards.  As to your..." he
        lifts a finger to his ears, "a hat might be best for that.  Many
        down there wear straw large hats so that's more common."

             "Ben'dar the headdress could cause problems as well as
        your necklaces.  I suggest stowing them away so not to draw
        attention." Ki'ama moves to the next person. "Caladan most do
        not have Firesnake pets. I suggest leaving him behind.  Such a
        pet could set off alerts to a wizard.   Your sleep and storm
        magics might not work against the Vong but the fire may if used
        in some ways.  We know fire can harm them.  Magical fire on the
        other hand is a bit more vague."

             "Chion you will have to hide or leave the staff.  It is a
        clear sign of a wizard.  You fit in Katai but your...body frame
        is way above average for the common person.  So you may stick
        out a bit more than needed."

             "Farseeker, your weapons will be the undoing of the Vong.
        I understand you took at least four out at Lake Oca.  You should
        do quite well."

             Ki'ama then approaches Fremea and smiles warily.  "Fremea
        you understand a culture afraid of magic might be a bit nervous
        of a winged being.  Your disguise skills will have to be mandatory.
        Even flying at night could be quite dangerous for you.  Your hair
        will block your other features but it is the wings that will be
        the thing to hide from folks."

             "Kiet...your skills might come in hand and I'll return to
        that later.  Otherwise I see no big issues for you."

             Ki'ama then approaches Raban and spreads both arms.  "Need
        I say anything?  You will tower over everyone in the entire nation
        by a good two to three feet.  You sadly will stick out quite a
        bit this is why a cover story will be needed."

             "Strie'bog I'm glad you didn't bring the wolf.  Sadly these
        civilized wise old katai people have been known to...well...eat
        dogs.  So that is good you didn't bring him."

             "Z'leyra you will be a beacon in Katai so you will need to
        hide things from your staff to your drum.  You could have the
        most uncomfortable time in Katai."

             "Last, Unali you fit in the best of this entire group.
        Being from Katai you should be regulated leader.  But that is
        for your friends to decide.  You will be their guide on the
        culture and customs.  You of all these others will not have any
        issue in fitting in other than maybe clothing."

              Ki'ama looks around as if he is forgetting something when
        Suca points to the man in the gray cloak.  "Ah, yes.  I have been
        rude.  This is Kell.  He is a trader and was a new visitor here.
        He delivered a special and rare item to one of the Law Wizards and
        was paid very well for it.  I understand, Kell, you wish to travel
        back to a more civilized area like Marentia or such?  These people
        might be able to oblige.  You could travel alone or as Oby explained
        join them on this mission.  From what Oby has told me you have
        already agreed to those terms?  Good.  I suspect your skills will
        be as useful as Kiet's."

             "Clearly we need a cover story for the group.  People of Katai
        hate and despise magic.  So going in as a obvious wizard or mage
        is certain death.  While foreigners aren't unheard of as their
        trade and ports are busy.  Centers of trade like their river
        or sea ports would be common for outsiders.  But as you get more
        into the farm lands where it is 500 miles to the nearest city
        than it is less common.  So a cover story is required.  Maybe
        a entertainment troupe? A trade caravan?  Kell could take goods
        down and the rest could be...handlers.  While that might be more
        hard to deal with in some situations the other may not.  A
        entertainment troupe would be common in the cities and roads.
        That would explain the unique setup of people in this group."
        He glances at Raban. "The cover story should be decided.  Now
        as to where to go and by what method." He walks over to the slat
        board and reveals a map of the eastern coast showing the Dark
        Lands all the way down to Katai.  "There are obvious four methods.
        Teleport directly there.  But this has problems.  One is that
        the transmute device is being borrowed.  So you would have to
        make two trips with this large group, gear and horses.  Another
        reason I will mention shortly.  Two is by land.  Going this
        way." He waves his hand south-west of the Lands toward the Plains
        and then a bit south. "Since you have Zen'da in the group this
        might work a bit better and faster travel wise.  But you still
        have a few nations in between.  Going directly south. " He moves
        his hand directly south of the Lands down to Katai. "Would have
        you entering Regis land and others.  If they know of your ...
        dealings in the Ezam affair that could be problems.  I doubt
        they would be but you never know.  I suspect you could go south
        east through the forest of Chosai.  But that would take longer due
        to the great forests.  One of the fastest routes would be by
        sea.  While we have no navy here, there are traders that come
        from Chosai and Lemasa ever so often.  The party could travel
        to the sea and find such a merchant ship.  Depending on the
        cover story you pick a wagon of trade goods could be supplied
        as well.  This is something your group will have to decide on."

              The old Elder decides it is time to sit and takes his place
        in front of the party on his cushioned throne.  "Lastly I will
        cover the details we know of the Vong. " He leans forward and
        reveals the last slat showing the picture of the Vong that
        some artist has made.  "As you can tell their main people seem
        to be their warriors.  They seem to have a caste system as well.
        Their warriors use these staves." He waves his left hand at
        the table beside him. "They are living staves.  They can become
        solid for piercing or strike blows like a spear.  At the will
        of the warrior they can transform quickly to a snake and strike
        with poison. " He raises his right hand at the picture. "They
        are gray looking and wear thick leathers, some with spikes on
        their boots or arms.  Their warriors love to fight.   The
        other caste level seems to be more of a leader or scholar type
        but we don't know their caste name.  They seem to shape devices
        and technology.  Most are females and use those snake headdresses
        for unknown purposes.  They have leaders above them.  Below the
        warriors are the hard labor forces that build and can be virtual
        slaves.  They hate any god here but have their own gods and
        religious system.  Like Katai folk they despise magic users
        and will go after them first.  In fact the shamans on the plains
        were targets first before their warriors.  They take it as a
        personal honor to kill the evil heretics who use magic.  They
        believe magic is weak and the only way is through their animal
        like technology.  They use large animals for travel like some
        in Katai might use wagons." Ki'ama pauses and waits to reveal
        the next bit. "You may recall the wedding event for those who
        were here?  It was interrupted before it started with news sent
        to me of something.  I had to leave to hear the news.  That
        news was that one of their flying animal things had crashed
        in the forest.  I ordered the device destroyed and dumped into
        the ocean.  I did not want anyone to know of it in case Balance
        might be tilted.  Their flying things are one man vehicles and
        how they are flown is not known to me.  But this isn't too
        rare as I hear Dragons or Griffins can be rode in some land
        on the west coast.  Sven even tells of entire military groups
        riding griffins."

              "Now you know why I had mainly asked for fighters.  But
        wizards will have use as well.  Magic can't be used for the most
        part directly at them but around them.  Their high defense might
        prevent it.  Unless a spell is going to be high concentration
        it may fail outright.  This isn't to say the Shamans on the plains
        had no success with spells.  Some did.  It may be a personal
        decision to use magic against them.  Let's see the orbs are used
        to communicate.  Legend says they are stroked and a face like
        thing appears.  These living orbs live short lives away from
        their user or growing field.  Their armor as some recall is
        crab like.  In fact it is also alive.  Some say it can regenerate
        and is as tough as some chain or plate armor depending on the
        beast and warrior.  Most females do not wear these crab armor
        things.  Suca will show you best how to handle them based on
        what we have learned of the passed down legends.  There are
        weak spots like under the arm pits.  Their language is not
        known to us and thus we don't know it."

              "I have talked long enough.  I hope I have answered as much
        details as I can.  There will be the apprentice joining you and
        another soon.  Oby is still talking to that person and will be
        given the same details as we save them as a captured illusion of
        what I have just stated.  He may still decline our offer to
        join the party.  This means a party of 13 and at least some...
        16 or 18 horses?  This is why a cover story is needed.  The group
        will not be stealthy.  Oh, there is one final warning.  Since
        Katai leaders and lords fear and hate magic they have certain
        forces.  Secret societies really that enforce this doctrine.
        In random places they have teams that use devices, like those
        the guards used to scan with outside the manor.  Their range
        may be limited and in fact we don't know the range.  It could
        be feet or dozens or even hundreds of feet.  If they detect
        magic in any form they will act.  They will call guards and
        if in enough force act swiftly.  Things like staffs with runes,
        items with runes, talismans or amulets of magical ability,
        or simple glowing magical things will result in immediate death.
        For less obvious things judges will be called for justice.  This
        is why this is one of your most dangerous missions you will
        take.  In a certain island nation you dealt with Chaos magic.
        Here you live with magic.  There you will be hiding magic from
        eyes.  If you do not you will endanger the party and the
        mission.  I will respect anyone who wishes not to join this
        dangerous mission.  Under the agreement of secrecy.  You may be
        required to remain in protective custody for the party's sake.
        Those who go and wish to leave behind the more obvious magical
        things of their person can do so.  Chion can then come back
        and pick up said items.  But anything you take will add to your
        danger.  If guards decide to search and even they find a simple
        natural magical item it could be quite dangerous." Ki'ama give
        s sort laugh. "Too bad there are no smugglers in the group that
        could help to hide things.  Depending on the cover story weapons
        will be less obvious or risky.  By far peasants do not use
        weapons other than a shovel or pick.  So walking down the street
        with a fortress set of personal weapons could be a bad deal as
        well.  Suca recommends to limit yourself to one obvious and
        one hidden weapon.  But that is your choice.  In some places
        like warehouse districts or port districts weapons are less
        obvious to guards."

              "I will go as my land was ravaged once.  I will not allow
        it to happen again." Caladan speaks confidently. "If we find
        this Vong threat or base or whatever what shall we do?"

              "Good question," Ki'ama answers quickly, "I hope you would
        end their threat as you did with the flying island.  They do
        not belong here.  At least the gods do not seem to wish it.  We
        could sit and argue they are simply trying to survive on their
        own in a strange world.  But they are invaders.  If they were meant
        to be here the gods would have touched them.  I have no evidence
        they have done so or plan to do so.  As before they plan their
        conquest slow.  They bide their time and plan well.  I don't
        know how quickly they will strike.  There are clues that might
        help out.  The Vong love self mutilation and torture.  They
        believe the gods demand it.  Many will cut off noses, hands,
        arms or other parts to please their gods.  As a result those
        captured by the Zen'da never gave much information to their
        culture only what we could guess based on tactics.  Torture
        to learn information will not work and might even make them
        happy.  In the sake of a limb cut off they grow animal parts
        or coral like appendages.  For what purpose and reason we
        do not know.  But we know the Vong captured Zen'da prisoners.
        They tortured them with pleasure and implanted coral like
        things into eyes, arms, noses and other areas.  These slaves
        seemed to then be compelled by the coral things to obey.  Later
        in this brief war the Zen'da were pitted against Zen'da as
        slaves of the Vong.  Thus, I believe if there are missing large
        numbers of Katai it might give clues to what is going on.  My
        contact might know such things.  Maybe this is why they choose
        Katai in the first place.  A few thousand among millions might
        not be missed.  But somewhere the balance of numbers will have
        to be recorded.  Once you find the threat it should be destroyed
        at all costs."

              Ki'ama presses a gem on his chair and the tapestries seem to
        form into more formed shapes.  The right shows a group of Vong
        fighting what look to be Zen'dan on a wide plain.  The left one
        shows strange domes and waving stalk fields. "The left shows
        what their buildings seem to be.  They seem to be, as expected,
        animal like, grown like an animal might be.  The fields of
        stalks must be how they grow the staves and orbs.  They probably
        grow everything.  This must be why they were at Lake Oca.  They
        needed a proper growing field.  That lake must have something
        special.  Strie'bog do you recall anything special about it?
        If so let us know.  Maybe that is another clue."

              The entire party sits quite.  The entire meeting seems to
        have been one-sided.  But now it is clear the High Elder is
        waiting for responses and comments.  The party is unsure of what
        all they have heard and may need to let it sink in further.
        But some pieces of the puzzle fit in with past events.  Could
        this be why Arawn is here, did his parents know of the threat?
        It might not be fate that two Zen'da, Ben'dar and Caladan are
        among this group.  The link to Lake Oca and Strie'bog seems
        clear but uncertain as well.

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Monday...

        GM: That's it.  I hope I covered everything I wanted to.  But
            I'm sure I forgot some detail, I always do. :)

        GM: Map is now on the website.  Its a cropped image and very
            large (1 meg plus).  It shows the region.  Once the path
            is decided on I can shrink it down to just the region
            of travel and play later on.  Items file updated with
            minor items and land info.  I have also uploaded the two
            images of the Vong on the site that was in Adventure #3.

        GM: If you claimed a book/scroll or map from the treasure and
            need specific info I've added a link on the site as well
            for that.  If you need character sheet data added and I
            forgot to do so at this point let me know.  I think I
            gave that info when turned them back in but can't recall.

        GM: Welcome to the game Kell aka Mark!  Assuming after hearing
            the above he still wishes to play.  My next priority this
            weekend is to work on the last new character.