[pnpgm] Game Update #125 - File #696 - New Adventure!

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Apr 1 07:14:48 CEST 2009

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
                               *AFJ*
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #125 in sequence (file #696)

     Admin Notes: Nona.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Book and scroll casting was also covered in the rules: you use
          the EL you KNOW the spell at... if its ZERO, you use zero. You
          can still read the scroll and cast it at EL 200000 if that is
          what the scroll/book is. However, you get NO BONUS for the roll
          UNLESS you know a little (have an EL above zero) about the spell
          you are scroll/book casting.

          It really does make the most sense. IMHO.

          This prevents someone from being able to cast MASTER level spells
          as well as written down on a piece of paper. Which in turn
          prevents the highest level magic user from "arming" all his
          fellows with tons of high level scrolls (because they will fail
          casting the same spells with no bonus (no EL) and versus a MDV
          of any kind). If you did the EL cast and EL known, they would
          get a bonus even if they didn't know the spell. Which really
          makes no sense. Simply because a spell is stronger doesn't mean
          it will work better. See also "Fireballs in Melee".
        GM: Ack.  Yeah I know how books and such work.  Like I say I
            can see both sides of the argument.  I honestly can't
            recall what my table group felt the biggest argument was
            since it was 20 odd years ago.  One reason I sort of
            forgot the rule and in pbems its just far more work.
            So now I put it back up and will use it since voted on.
            Slave drivers! More work for me! :)  This also means that
            in the below mission certain high level beings will have
            a huge advantage. :)

                        --------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Taking a bath]
          The evening before the audience Z'leyra will bathe and clean
          herself, getting rid of the accumulated dirt from working at the
          forge for days. The morning of the audience she will take time
          to dress in her best clothing.
        GM: Ack. Would you like Raban to help out in anyway? :)

        [Apris 15th, 1634TH. 4th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: High Elder's domain - Citadel, Dark Lands, Forest]

        [The day of the meeting, Apris 15th, finally comes.  Each
         person heads to the manor house early at the appointed 8am
         time.  Zhou, Oby and the guards take weapons, magic items
         that could be dangerous after being scanned again away for
         safe keeping.  The party is directed to the feast room where
         a large breakfast is held but no Elder is yet to show up.
         Oby explains he will show up at the meeting.]

        [An hour later the party is led back to the meeting room they
         first met in almost two weeks ago.  Before opening the door
         Oby speaks up.]

        Oby: "By entering you agree to the mission.  If you do not
          you will not be expected to leave our protective custody
          until those that do come back.  This is for our security
          and theirs.  We do not want them knowing you are coming."

        [the party enters and takes seats.  In the far end of the
         room sits the High Elder in his normal robes.  He seems
         serene and content.  When everyone has sat and ready he
         stands.]

        Ki'ama: "First, I am greatly happy at the results of your
          most recent help in our last matter.  It was greatly
          appreciated.  I have settled over things with Itom and she
          will not be a issue to us.  Now, this next mission will
          be the most dangerous one you have ever done.  For some it
          may even require forward thinking.  To think beyond loyalty
          and how things really work."

         [He glances over the party and especially eyes Arawn for a
          few seconds to study him before moving on.]

         "Like with the Gnarish staff that Chion uses I have kept tabs
         on a large group like yourself in the Rogizini Empire.  While
         I personally don't care what goes on outside our borders I
         do care what those events could affect us.  I also watch for
         threats to us and future loyal people who can help with
         issues that affect us all like our previous matter." [He waves
         a hand toward the roof indicating the flying island.]

         "A month ago the spirit inside the item I was using was released
         and went to the planes where I can communicate with it.  It told
         me of the group being destroyed by a powerful being.  The group
         of eight just as powerful as you people are were wiped out in
         one battle.  After some time I learned that the being was an
         Avatar of a god.  Their most powerful representative in the
         Middle World.  He wiped the group out without a single thought
         and tired breath.  The group itself was investigating a god
         that was obtaining in the Upper World a device to break the
         agreement of the Gods.  This would allow him to enter the
         Middle World.  Once here because of that item he could cause
         untold damage and devastation.  Amazingly he is doing this
         without most of the other gods knowing.  If they know they
         could be ignoring it for their own reasons to return here.
         But most of the gods simply are distracted or don't know about
         it.  We may believe the gods are all knowing but even they
         can't know everything that goes on."

        "the group was killed a month ago and we don't know how long
        forward this god is in his plan.  So I simply need you to
        head to the Upper World to his realm and deal with it.  For
        the most part destroy his item.  I will supply information
        and a possible item to deal with the god itself.  Some
        believe even gods can be killed.  But it is only a theory."

       [Everyone seems to covertly glance at Arawn who is stoic but
        stone faced staring at the High Elder.]

        Ki'ama: "I understand if this mission might be too dangerous
          for some of you.  I expect many will not return.  If you
          do not wish to attend you will need to stay in the manor
          house until the others do.  I don't want the gods to know
          about it.  Here my wards can at least protect from the
          spies and eyes that might learn of the mission.  I will
          supply the means to get there.  I will supply as much
          information about the god and the realm to those who go
          on this mission.  For Arawn it will be a chance to return
          home.  It will NOT be your parents or any reasonable god
          that respects life.  So fear not on that account.  I will
          go into further details once I hear from those who wish
          to help out in this mission?  Depending on who stays and
          who goes I may have to attend as well to help those who
          do.  I am not quite fit for such adventures but I might
          be able to help with my own magic."

        Ki'ama: "So what do you say?"

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Friday..