[pnpgm] Update #71

john haight lithalis at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 19:57:53 CEST 2008

   Arawn turned his head slightly at the sudden appearance of the guards but remained calmly seated. Their hidden presence did not surprise him overly much, with the plethora of outdoor guardians and the golem in the foyer it was to be expected that protection would be near at hand and he had noted the obvious touching of the mantle when support was not needed. As the others in the party reacted to the surprise he raised a hand and called out to them in Marentian,

   "Hold. He is upset over the death of his guards and is offering a chance to speak if we disarm. Let me see if I can smooth the situation."

   The alfar's facade remained calm and dignified, though inside his thoughts stirred over the situation. Whether this man was an enemy had yet to be determined but change of some sort had to take place for the sake of both castle-dweller and the lands below but the aggressive stance of the party made negotiations difficult to say the least. He understood the party's natural inclination, what with enemies and assassins popping up constantly but that same type of self-preservation could help to worsen other situations as well. His own training in the diplomatic arts was woefully short cut off with mystic and martial training, though thankfully a lifetime in court had prepared him better than some.
   He did not turn around to see the party's actions, only nodding when Z'leyra mentioned stepping away, unaware of her attempt to turn invisible, and adding in Marentian,
   "Be careful Z'leyra. He might construe your departure as a serious threat or block such  magics within these walls for purposes of security."

   Arawn did his best to keep some of the guards in his peripherals as he focused his attention on A'kril and spoke in Sidh,

   "I apologize for that Master A'kril. It was not our intention to come here to fight. We did not know your guardians and we did not have much choice, they attacked us, though we sought to parlay, and so we defended ourselves. Even now we would seek a more peaceful resolution to the situation before us, lest things escalate to levels that neither one of us would likely wish to see. Perhaps, with time and negotiation other guardians can be created to replace them.
   I have asked the others to remain calm but, as you are obviously wise enough to know, the scenario is uncomfortable for both and I think both sides would be loathe to completely disarm or disengage for fear of a hostage situation and a potentially unpleasant political sitiation, though I hope that my allies will comply for the sake of negotiation.
   Please Master A'kril, I ask for peace and the lowering of weapons for the sake of both sorcerous powers, above and below. Besides, your visitor could arrive at any time and this display would be unseemly for a man of your obvious grace and talents."

   As he spoke Arawn went over some mental notes, in particular the choice of words used by A'kril to describe the party, in particular Fremea, and wondered whether to reveal his identity. He was not sure if it would be a boon or a bane but the sudden sounds outside the door caused him to refrain from a sudden exposure before he had a chance to discover who the new party was.

   Arawn is hoping to identify the guards in shadow with his elven sight as he wonders if they are mortal in appearance as well. Hopefully Arawn's Influence Chance and Rhetoric will help here but if fighting is inevitable then Arawn will attempt to take cover from the archers and engage A'kril in hand-to-hand combat, ideally striking to subdue with Martial Arts if possible. Only if he gets near his gear in the process will he grab the buckler for further protection.