[pnpgm] Game Update #86 - File #461 - Raban Smash!

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Oct 31 18:51:10 CET 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #86 in sequence (file #461)

     Admin Notes: Some minor numbering issues with last update and some
     website links.  Should be fixed.  I somehow skipped from 50s to 80s
     in numbering.  So this update should fix the number system for the
     updates and web links should all be fixed. I hope.  If not let me
     know.

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          "Being that I have been in flight, it would not be something I
          was looking at and it radiated no magic. It sounds important to
          check out, as there have not been very many other places. Who
          would like to come with me?"
        GM: Ack.  I got this after I sent out the last update.  It
            fit in there and appreciate the comment.  Thanks.   But
            too late to post now. :<

                        --------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar rushes the statue from the side or behind, leaps up onto
          its back as he would a horse, and flings his fur cape/cloak over
          the statue's head, covering its eyes.  If it can't see, it can't
          shoot that blasted magic!
        GM: Ack. Good job.

                        --------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          In regards to the items, Arawn will allow others to take the
          Fine Rope and split the Parchment in half with Kiet.
        GM: Ack.

                        --------------------------

        From Unali: [Re: Actions[
          Unali will let Kiet have the fine rope. if there is some other
          light but sturdy rope left, she takes in the order of 20' of that.
          Otherwise she has no great need at the moment.
        GM: Ack.

                        --------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <Raban would take some of the fine wine, 1qt,  for mixing make
          more angelica with. Most anything else is of no immediate
          importance to him.> <Did I miss a joke? Now where was it? Was it
          the one about Arawn's psychoanalyzing of Raban being Mushy
          talk?>

          Startled and Upset, Raban moves (leaps?) to smash the Statue
          Trap, as its first act chose to target one of the Ladies with a
          lethal looking spell. Hopefully it takes a little time before it
          can fire again. <I don't think he saw that spell effect earlier
          on Z'leyra, but it looks nasty.>

          <This may have issues with others actions>
        GM: Ack. Wine.  Check.  Joke yes, Caladan wanting to be killed
            quick by Ben'dar if Arawn tried talking to him like h did
            with Kiet. :)  No didn't see the DL attack on Z'leyra so
            your right there.

                        --------------------------

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          And Kiet would be happy to let the rope go...it's just rope.

          "Thank you Arawn for sharing the parchment."

          Kiet : "I have lots of rope and, assuming we survive this, I
          should have plenty of money with which to buy as much rope as
          my little pierced heart desires.  I wasn't expecting anybody else
          would bother with it."
        GM: Ack.

                        --------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will cast a water to stone spell on the head of the statue
          in order to attempt to destroy the ward/casting ability it has.
          He will not try to do anything "offensive" magic wise, lest he
          be attacked by some "anti-spell". He hopes that this "kind" of
          spell won't enact any guard runes and will work to destroy the
          statue's ability to cast at people.

          If successful, he will say "Surf's up Mr. Griffin." with a smile
          on his face. If it fails he will say "Ben'Dar, Raban try to take
          that thing's head off if you can. Everyone else best hide behind
          something if they can."
        GM: Ack. Great idea.  If the stone existed.  I know we talked
            in email and clarified that the statue is metal.  Great
            idea though to clog up the head and would then make it
            easy to smash. :)  Oh well.  Sorry.

                        --------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will run towards the statue to throw her rain slicker
          over the statue's head.

          Though it has been proven that she is susceptible to the Dark
          Lightning she still believes that she likely has the best chance
          in the party of not being affected by such spells.

          If after the head has been covered any in the party are being
          affected by Dark Lightning she will attempt to dispel it casting
          through her staff - while telling others to break the head in
          order to hopefully break the spell.
        GM: Ack.

                        --------------------------

        From  Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn replied to Kiet-

          "Your welcome, Kiet. As for the rope, you or Unali seem to have
          more need of it than me so I leave it between you two. I just
          thought to grab it as who knows how long we'll have up here and
          what might lie ahead. I'd rather have an item handy then wish
          that we had brought it along when we actually need it."

          Arawn sensed the sudden gathering of magical energy before the
          statue 'attacked' but his call came too late to warn the others.
          As some rushed the statue he attempted to move behind cover as
          searched through his gear for something useful to smash the head
          with, reaching for the recently acquired shovel and preparing to
          hand it to any of the stronger members if they wished to use it
          or else use it himself.

          If Raban or someone else is lacking a bludgeoning weapon to
          attack the statue with Arawn will offer the shovel, for lack
          of a better item like a hammer. If no one takes it Arawn will
          attempt to smash the head of the statue once he's gotten the
          shovel from behind cover.

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands, 9 Miles up, Flying Island]

        [Earlier: Storage room.]

        Kiet: "Thank you Arawn for sharing the parchment."

           "I have lots of rope and, assuming we survive this, I should
           have plenty of money with which to buy as much rope as my little
           pierced heart desires.  I wasn't expecting anybody else would
           bother with it."

        Arawn: "Your welcome, Kiet. As for the rope, you or Unali seem to
          have more need of it than me so I leave it between you two. I
          just thought to grab it as who knows how long we'll have up here
          and what might lie ahead. I'd rather have an item handy then
          wish that we had brought it along when we actually need it."

                        ---------------------

        [Time: 10:58am]

        [The statue attacks and sends its dark lighting toward Fremea
         but does not do any damage to her due to her Angelica defense
         boost.  The party goes into reflex mode and begins to act.]

        [Chion spins around and looks at the statue and notices the stares
        at the statue and Fremea.  He figures the statue just sent some
        kind of spell out.  He considers a smart spell to stone up the
        head itself by turning the water to stone but then realizes no
        such spell exists.  then he realizes unlike the other two statues
        this griffon is metal so turning the head into water wouldn't
        work either.  Then he comes up with another idea to turn the
        base of the stone fountain into water causing the entire statue
        to shift and fall.  But he realizes he has to get close so he
        boosts the spell a bit to get the range in mind by casting it
        at a slightly higher level.  He begins to speak the words and
        casts the spell while pointing to the base of the statue which
        is stone and in water.]

       [Fremea twirls and takes to the sky high above the fountain to
        plan her next move and check for any damage.]

       [Raban charges and leaps over the rim of the statue and lands with
        a splash into the cold water.  With his flying ability and grace
        of a dancer he swings up and over the griffon's left wing onto the
        statue's back.  He growls at this evil statue and prepares to take
        his head off literally. As his large legs grasp the body of the
        wet statue he tries to remain in place.  It almost looks like a
        giant trying to sit on a duck.  His hands flail out toward the
        eyes and head but as he does he feels something funny happen.
        He looks down to see a debris cloud of gray white form around the
        base and suddenly he finds himself pitching forward.  He realizes
        maybe he should cut down on meats when the statue shifts slowly
        forward and Raban's eyes bulge with surprise as he finds himself
        being thrown down with it.  The head of the statue hits the rim
        of the west edge with a "thang" noise.  The nose of the griffon
        breaks off with a shard of metal.  The right wing hits the north
        edge of the fountain with a clang and some of it chips off as
        well.  Raban rolls to the south off the wing and into the wet
        water with a surprise.]

       [Unali turns to see the statue pitch over and heads toward the couch
        for cover in case this is a good chance for more attacks while the
        party is distracted.  She keeps her eyes sharp and alert.]

       [Ben'dar drops his pike and rips his cloak off his back as he
        charges toward the fountain.  He leaps into the water and slips
        as best he can on a wet surface onto the side of the statue.  As
        the statue is now at about 20 degrees slant he covers the statue
        with his cloak and holds it tight as he turns to grin at the
        flailing Raban who seems to big to topple the statue.]

       [Arawn drops his gear bags and digs for his shovel.  He finds it
        and stands.  He sees Raban in the water and tosses it toward the
        fountain and it splashes near him.  Raban catches Arawn's eyes and
        nods.]

       [Caladan looks for a rock in the garden he might find to help
        smash the statue's head.]

       [Kiet figures out what to do but knows the two tough ones seem
        to have things in hand.  Maybe they'll just rip it apart.
        Maybe he can lend some rope to them?]

       [Raban stands and grabs the shovel.  Now all wet he motions for
        Ben'dar to move back as he raises the shovel up and bashes down
        onto the statue's head.  He impacts hard and the statue pitches
        forward another few degrees closer to the ground.  The shovel
        begins to bend under the first impact.]

       [Ben'dar begins to try to shove down the neck of the statue with
        his strength to get the statue's head under water.]

       [Soon the party realizes that Ben'dar and Raban have things
        under control.  It is unsure if the statue fires the dark light
        anymore as it is covered and it can't penetrate or has been
        stopped by Z'leyra's spell.]

       [Raban bashes down a second time and the head cracks under the
        cloak and pitches forward another few degrees.  The head
        begins to just touch the rim of the fountain itself.]

       [With another grunt Ben'dar heaves with his weight and pushes
        head onto the rim of the fountain and tries to begin to move
        it off the base of the fountain to get it under water.]

       [With a 3rd bash the shovel head breaks in half under the damage
        it has taken and the head splits open and breaks into tiny
        shards and scatters into the water.]

       [Eight seconds after the attack the head seems destroyed and
        now floating in pieces in the fountain.  One part of an eye
        is seen floating but doesn't seem to shoot anything more out.]

        [Two seconds later it seems the danger is past and Raban hands
         the broken shovel to Arawn with a sly sheepish grin.]

        [Caladan goes over to the rim and with his foot pushes the stone
         sprout that set the stairs in motion back the other way and
         the stairs down reverses and closes.]

        Caladan: "That was fun.  Now that Raban has his frustration out.
          I think it might be best before we go down to check out that
          locked room.  Nice to see you join us Z'leyra.  Shall we
          go use those keys you found?"

        [Ben'dar grabs his drenched cloak and tries to get the water
         out and smirks at Raban.  After another minute to ensure no
         guards are storming down the courtyard stairs the party moves
         out the door Z'leyra came in.  Fremea takes the keys and
         a plan is formed.]

        [Time: 11:01am]

        [Caladan and Arawn head through the main room and through the
         secret door into the sentry room.  Caladan returns to the
         main room and Unali at the north east door of the main room.
         That way if anyone or anything exits the south locked door
         Arawn can relay it to Caladan to Unali and the others.
         As Fremea inspects the lock for magic but finds none she
         inserts the first key.  As she does Z'leyra standing to the
         east side of the door more near the latrine room hears
         a tap on the window and notices a snow white form at the
         far window.  Knowing it has to be Corona she heads to the
         window to let the eagle in.]

        [Fremea unlocks the door and hears it click.  She quietly and
         easily opens the door a crack and looks into a dark room.
         She notices a shadow of a candle behind the door.  As the
         door opens inward she continues to open up but sees no one
         but a tiny room.  As the door opens to about half way she
         begins to see 2 candles lighting the room on the west wall
         of the room.  On her left, east side of the room are boxes
         and lockers.  No  one seems in the room.  As she glances
         back at the candles she notices they are flickering a bit
         crazy like a wind.  She opens her senses and realizes she
         detects magic from them at least 2 auras.  As she begins to
         close the door a flicker of flame shoots toward her and just
         over her head impacting on the carpet behind her catching it
         slightly on fire.  She slams the door closed and shakes her
         head wondering why she is the target of these things.]

        [The relay informs the others the room is empty and the group
         stands outside in the outer hallway to plan their next move.
         Corona drenched enters through the window and Z'leyra helps to
         get it dealt with.  Caladan informs her there are some towels in
         the room they explored - the latrine next to where she is. As the
         others plan their next move she helps Corona dry off.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Monday...

        GM: Treasure Claims - As of this update

            Storage Room -

                Kiet     -  21' Fine Rope
                            Leather Strap, Keg of Oil, Oil Lantern
                            Fine Bottle of Wine
                            Whistles (2)
                            Parchment (5 sheets)
                            Quills (5)
                            Bottle of Ink (2)
                            Leather Bag (1)
                Raban    -  Fine Bottle of Wine
                Arawn    -  Skin I [4]
                            Wicks [5]
                            Cord [1001]
                            Grappling Hook (1)
                            Iron Spikes (5)
                            Soothing Herbs [1 - Keg I]
                            Burn Ointment Flask (1)
                            Shovel (1)
                            Flask of Salt (2)
                            Rope - no amount stated?
                            Roll Bandage
                            Healing Herbs
                            Healer's Kit (1)
                            Parchment (5)
                            Ink Jar (2)

        GM: Item Conflicts - None

        GM: Fast update.  Didn't have much time after some email
            clarifications.  I wanted to get to the next 'even' so
            moved the party toward this new room that was skipped.
            Hope it is all right. :)  Good job with the statue guys.

        GM: The Room Fremea saw was empty about 10 x 8 feet.  Here
            is a rough map. Stone floor.  STone Walls.  Metal Doors.
            Lighting only done by 2 candles on west wall. A rough map.

               1234567890
              I---/\-----I   Scale - 1 row/1 column = 1 foot
              I##     ###IA
              I##        IB    Doors open inward into the room south
              I        @@IC    and north.
              I`       @@ID
              I          IE    ` Candle location - on wall about 5
              I##      @@IF    feet up on a hook stand.  2 candles
              I##      @@IG   ## - Lockers
              I___/\_____IH   @@ - Cabinets/chests

        GM: Happy Halloween!  Due to the economic situation in the USA
            I had to lay off 2 of the 3 Dwarves.  They are out looking
            for Troll abaodned bridges to scare travelers for money.
            So no halloween jokes these years.  Sorry.  I hope you guys
            go out and vote next year.  The fate of the free world will
            depend on your vote!  For those outside the USA your
            lucky you don't have to figure out who to vote for. :)
            Sorry for those who didn't get much action in.  I didn't
            have posts so didn't know for sure what you'd do.  It
            was over quick at any rate.