[pnpgm] Game Update #84b - Discussion after the battle

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Oct 24 06:33:45 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #84b in sequence (file #446)

     Admin Notes: Part 2 of 3

                        [Last Post]

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands, 9 Miles up, Flying Island]

        [Time: 10:33am]

        [By now the room is a bit cleaned up and smoke, ozone from the
         lightning magics and soot has died down.  Leaving only the
         vibration and sound of thunder outside.  Only the smell of sweat
         and blood remains in the room.]

        [Arawn listens to Unali's apology and wonders who acted first to
         start this battle. Was it Ben'dar or Unali or something else? He
         figures the battle was probably inevitable.  He replies to Unali.]

        Arawn: "There is no need to apologize for you did what you felt
          you must but the thought is welcome, Unali. Thank you."

        [Unali finds the Alfar conflicting with internal strife.  She
         wonders if he is capable to use anger in battle or will he always
         resort to peaceful means?  Jordi was like that but seems to be a
         bit more a fighter than talker even though his main skill was
         diplomacy.  She makes a note to herself that maybe Duke Aren could
         use Arawn's skill as a talker for various things.  Alfar means
         nothing to humans in Marentia but maybe he could be some sort of
         envoy or ambassador.  She'll have to mention this to Aren if they
         return.  She recalls that Jordi had mentioned his desire to rid
         Climan influence near the Wild Forest.  Jordi even went so far as
         to speak to Aren about it privately.  She wonders if an Alfar could
         be the lynch pin to direct some unified Elven group to finally do
         such a thing in the Wild Forest.]

        [Arawn rushes over to help Kiet.  But he finds Raban and Z'leyra
         have things well under control.  He is happy to see Kiet well
         as best can be and stabiliized, his heart wound seems to be
         completely sealed.  Hovering overhead he gives Kiet a soft and
         reassuring smile.  He looks around the room and considers fate.
         If he hadn't sensed the rush of magic from the flame wall maybe
         he'd be dead from it.  If that happened then the talk with A'kril
         might not have worked.  Meaning A'kril would not have ended
         the spell on Z'leyra and she died.  The Dark Elf leader might
         have come out of his dizzy spell and stabbed Arawn in the
         back as well.  Yet things happened for the best.]

        [As Chion finishes his story of the events in the outside room,
         Raban smiles.  If only Raban was there he'd need only his charm to
         take the girl out.  Instead fate put him against four or five men.
          Raban figures this visitor is involved in some political plot.  It
          only makes sense her presence here in this strange place above
          the Dark Lands.  Raban didn't pay attention to the rumors or
          stories of separatist or expanionists in these lands.  He wonders
          who is behind all this.  But he figures sooner or later the party
          will find out. Raban considers this and catch's Arawn in passing
          to speak to him.]

         Raban: "My deepest apologies, I failed to keep the peace you
           desired. I even misjudged what their leader thought was his
           advantage, fortunately it was not beyond our capabilities. I
           saw this leader was one like many in power, he would not care if
           we had all died in route or in his presence. We were but a
           curiosity to examine and be disposed of if not of use. It is
           possible he would have honored your peace for a while and then
           summoned the guards to dispose of us anyway. I was prepared for
           that and would have moved to protect the ladies and yourself
           when the time came. As long as they had not removed your
           weapons, that would have been enough to put us back on more
           even ground again.  But something happened and all plans were
           ruined, it is very hard to stop a fight once blood has been
           spilled. I did what I could to protect the others and even
           tried not to kill at first, but there were too many to take
           the extra time needed. Sadly it is far easier to kill than
           render someone unconscious."

         Ben'dar [rolling his eyes hearing Raban but grins mischievously.]
           "Most of these ladies you keep talking about defending could
           kill you where you stand, friend."

         [Raban looks around the room and considers his own words. To kill
          is far easier than to subdue for sure.  Yet from what he has
          heard from others Unali can do it quite effectively.  As he
          thinks of A'kril his words seem to come from experience and past
          incidents in his own personal life.  Most nobles or those in
          power are nothing but users.  Yet Raban glances at Z'leyra who
          is high status in bearing, Caladan son of a tribal chief and Arawn
          son of a god and sees that not everyone is like that.  Maybe
          A'kril might've been cordial or killed everyone rather slow.
          Raban will never know now.  Then Raban considers the story Chion
          told of the visitor.  She arrived seconds before the battle broke
          out.  If she had come and Chion not out in the foyer things might
          have been far different.  The female mage could have incited a
          more dangerous situation and Z'leyra could've died before A'kril
          stopped the spell.  Even with his death the spell would've killed
          her.  Raban thinks fate played some role in having Chion in the
          foyer this time.  Raban goes over to Caladan and helps remove the
          bodyguard's armor from the body.  Raban speaks to him.]

         Raban: "I am still sure that this A'kril was not of high standing,
           and should not have been the ruler of such a place. Yet he seems
           to have been bound to this place for a long time? There is much
           here that I do not understand, but I am usually a good judge of
           people."

         Caladan: "You may be right.  But I recall the words the High Elder
           spoke of in our meeting.  If this place is ancient maybe A'kril
           was locked to it.  I am no master of casual magic like the High
           Elder or my master Woundenal.  But based on magic I see here and
           this place I suspect A'kril was skilled. I don't know the
           connection between the Elves and A'kril but there could be
           something there.  This ancient place the High Elder spoke of
           could be a land where our noble titles are different.  The
           lowest rank could be a Duke and up for example." [He pulls the
           chainmail up off the body then looks and waves a hand at the
           dust on the ground that once was A'kril.] "When he died he was
           gone which would to me indicate once dead his body decayed as
           if free of some time constraint.  In my studies of Sleep Touch
           Woundenal told me that a body caught in such spells could never
           age until released while others free of the spell could age
           instantly.  A mystery for sure."

         [As the party forms a neat pile of treasure of armor and weapons
          Raban sighs and speaks to no one in particular.  The party seems
          to have this whole treasure collection and body stacking down
          to a routine.  Raban finds that a bit unsettling.]

         Raban: "If we continue to have such violent meetings, I am going
           to need some armor. I can remake my leather with material from
           other such armors but it has shown that it will not last very
           long. It was designed mostly to reduce scratches and such from
           rough travel and not from weapons. Does anyone know of a way
           for me to get somewhat more durable armor while we are here? If
           not, I will just have to try harder not to be hit so much,
           though so far that has not been very effective."

         Caladan: "Z'leyra makes her own armor.  But I doubt we'd have time
           for such construction as it might take days.  I doubt we could
           find any in your...size.  Arawn has those fancy shield and armor
           spells not sure if they could be cast on you.  But best thing to
           do is just not be hit." [He grins and then considers the room.]
           "Maybe we will find something for you here.  But don't hold your
           breath."

         [As the others pile treasure and bodies Fremea inspects the room
          knowing she might not be helpful with the body movement.  She
          finds the hidden buttons in the carpet that activated the secret
          doors.  She inspects the top of the mantle and finds another
          notch in the wood that shifts ever so slightly.  A mechanical
          device without magic sensed from it.  Careful she inspects the
          fireplace and mantle and finds almost invisible seams in the wood
          that could contain something.  Figuring it could be related she
          waits before no one is in front of the fireplace and pushes the
          notch slightly but not all the way.  A click can be heard and the
          seams seem to break a bit.  With some use of a dagger she pries
          the wood apart and finds a hole where a small metal barb rests.
          From the looks of it the barb seems to be a dart of some kind.
          Quickly she figures out the wood notch must activate the dart
          device to fire in front.  A very ancient device and not so
          sophisticated by magic.  She sniffs the stale air of the barb
          niches and smells the faint odor of poison.  She has dealt more
          or less by force, by her ex-slave masters to deal with poison so
          she recognizes a faint odor of something.  The barbs she doesn't
          touch due to the iron and leaves them be.  She figures A'kril is
          a clever man and based on angle it could've been used on Arawn,
          Ben'dar and Raban with a good attempt.  Paranoia must run rampant
          with A'kril's people.  She inspects the gem under the mantle and
          finds it could be easily pried apart from the wood with a slight
          destruction of the wood.  But she only senses one aura of magic
          from it.  It probably has some value but likely just used to warn
          the others through some alert in the sentry office or telepathic
          link to the guard leader or something like that.  Then she
          flashes back to the battle and recalls the events.  At one point
          A'kril cocked his head as if listening.  Then he mentioned that
          the party killed his pet outside.  That would indicate with
          Chion's story the female mage might have had some telepathic
          link with him and warned him of the guardian's death.  That
          mystery on how he knew seems to be figured out.  Fremea goes
          around the room but finds nothing else of a clever paranoid
          nature.  She recalls the ward of the fire wall and lightning but
          can't seem to locate them.  As before she can sense the magic
          of the room or rather the castle.  As if a major purified for
          anti-magic or magic is all around.  Then she recalls that earlier
          Arawn looked at the candles in the chandelier.  She figures the
          two unlit ones could be part of the wards.  As she tries to hover
          and then hold the chandelier she inspects the candles closely but
          senses no magic from it.  But yet the magic seems to have been
          here.  That means there has to be some form of magic sense
          deflection or invisible magical wards or the like.  That style
          of magic is clearly beyond her ability and knowledge.  Maybe she
          can get with Arawn and figure that out later.]

         [Arawn notices Fremea inspecting the same candles he was looking
          at while paralyzed and few moments ago.  He speaks up to Fremea
          as well as to all in general.]

         Arawn: "I'm not entirely sure of this but I'm wondering if this
           entire area is warded, not just against dangerous magics but
           also against magic and abilities that sense magic in the first
           place. It would make sense for a wizard in such an abode as this
           to ward it against other enemy casters, blocking their efforts
           to scan its defenses and thus leaving them in a precarious
           situation should spell battle occur.

           I noticed that two candles are not lit on the chandelier,
           unusual if only for the fact that the other candles are lit.
           Considering the wards, both known and unknown, I'm wondering
           if the Dark Lightning and possible Dispel were linked to the
           candles.  If so that means the other candles could be
           representative of other wards in place, local or otherwise,
           and if so I wonder, would it be wise to extinguish them? Will
           that set off the wards or shut them down? And does anyone know
           of the old magics that would see through spells to obscure
           magic?"

         [With those words Fremea puts it together. Her thoughts and own
          theory seems to come full circle.  So there is such magics that
          could block senses? But how come Arawn son of ancient parents,
          if not as gods as much as age, wouldn't know of such magics.
          That might mean it is a lost art or his parents didn't want him
          to know of such things?  When Z'leyra hears Arawn explain things
          she realizes now what happened.  A'kril must've activated by voice
          or command a dispel ward.  But she was too occupied to know that
          at the time to prevent his death.]

         Caladan: "Woudnenal, my master of magic, told me of such magics.
           When he placed his ward on his valley to protect his home from
           outsiders he said he used some ancient magic that blocked senses.
           Apparently it scared animals and people away so he didn't want
           that.  He wanted balance in the area.  So this way no one can
           walk by and sense it and wonder what is beyond the magic.  But
           when I asked further he said it was on a scroll he had and once
           used up he lost the information.  I wonder if the High Elder
           would know of such things?  Maybe instead of using magic
           sensory one could use mental sensory or round about methods.
           As to turning out the lights in this room I'm not sure if they
           could link to wards in the entire castle or not.  Most wards,
           Z'leyra could correct me if I'm wrong since she has wards on
           her home, are short range so I doubt it might work that way.
           It could be that not all the candles are wards.  There could
           be detection spells to detect if one ward goes out it activates
           another ward. A vicious circle that could cause some problems."

         [When it comes time on suggestions of searching Fremea speaks up.
          She has doubt she could sense all in this place but she can at
          least be of some use to the party in that fashion.]

         Fremea: "I will search with you. It seems there are needs that I
           can help with in finding out what is hidden around here."

         [Ben'dar ponders the story Chion has told of the events in the
          foyer.  No blood was spilt and some wild nude lady knocked herself
          out.  Such a clean fight while the party almost lost 3 people
          inside.  Either Chion has great luck or the party has bad luck.
          When Chion comes close in a break in the clean up, Ben'dar gives
          a low vocal growl at him which turns to a crooked grin as he
          speaks to Chion.]

         Ben'dar: "Ever the trickster.  Lucky I did not remove your head!"

         [As treasure is stacked Ben'dar finds little interest in the items
          around him.  Ever since he was set free on Clima he has marveled
          at the treasures this group has obtained.  He has heard stories
          of adventurers getting rich over night in some lair and quite the
          party is rich, including himself now a ranch owner.  To his people
          the amount of armor and weapons collected by this group could
          supply half the Zen'da nation or if sold could feed the entire
          nation for years.  He wonders if keeping the wealth from his own
          kind is a good thing or if his ranch will help his people.
          Eventually he could hire Zen'da people, maybe partnership with
          them and give back to his people.  But before that is done
          he'll have to venture back home and deal with some situations.
          Already in his head Ben'dar plans for his future investments in
          horses and how to grow the ranch with possible treasure, at least
          his share, from this place.]

         [As Caladan suggests exploration Ben'dar nods and agrees with
          his statements.  he then speaks up to Caladan.]

         Ben'dar: "Yes, those heavily injured should rest here."

         [Ben'dar indicates the wounded and the secret room areas to
          direct his next point.]

         Ben'dar: "While those of us less injured can scout out the
           surrounding area."

         [Ben'dar suggests Chion and Unali do the main scouting while the
          others fall back for support.  After dragging bodies around with
          Raban, Ben'dar heads over to Z'leyra for some healing first aid
          patch up work.]

         [Arawn hands back the now empty goblet of the angelica potion
          to Raban.  He smiles and feels the surge of energy.]

         Arawn: "Thank you, Raban. I appreciate it."

         [He still feels a bit weak so obtains his wand from his personal
          gear and casts a couple of energy spells to regain some more. He
          immediately feels the energy return on both attempts. He faintly
          still feels drained but its very low.  Of course to regain it he
          had to use his wand which costs even more mana to use then
          without.  A fair exchange of resources he figures.]

         [Arawn notices Raban's lack of armor and his comments on it. He
          speaks to Raban about it.]

         Arawn: "The others have protection of some sort and I can hand my
           armor over as I will be wearing the plate armor. Unfortunately I
           do not think it would fit one as large as you. Still, I would
           hate to see you unprotected. If you wish I can craft you armor
           to wear that should last until this mission is over."

         Raban: [With a sigh.] "When you have arms larger than most men's
           legs, you become used to making your own clothing and most
           anything else.  No armor sized for a normal man can be fit to
           me without huge gaps needing to be filled in. If someone was
           skilled in such work, they could make partial armor out of some
           of the suits that could be better than none at all. Perhaps
           there is magic to make armor grow in some manner, but it would
           need to about double in size. There may even be magic to create
           armor my size, but would it last long enough to be useful? I
           need flexible armor that does not hinder my movements much,
           though I will admit, the heavy armor others have here sure
           would have been useful. Perhaps I should invest in some heavier
           magic armor if I am to get in such trouble like this in the
           future. I never really needed it before and what damage that I
           did take healed in a couple days. Most fights I was involved in
           were not serious, a few light hits and they were over. Even the
           few creatures I have seen would rather run than face me, well
           other than a pack of wolves that took more convincing. But if
           you can somehow make or fit armor for me, I would be grateful. I
           cannot afford to keep taking damage like this if I am to protect
           the ladies like I promised."

         Ben'dar: "I have some skill in leatherworking and can make you
           some supple, lightweight armor that will afford you some
           protection while not inhibiting your movement.  But it will
           have to wait until we're finished exploring this cursed magical
           place."

         Raban: "But I do not know how to make armor that way. Maybe
           between us we can more quickly remake my leathers so I have a
           little protection if no magical means can be found to help. I
           think I will need it quite soon if this place continues to act
           like it has so far."

         [Z'leyra mentions to Raban that when the party has free time, days
          not hours, she might be able to do something for him as well. She
          wishes to make armor and weapons for those who need it but knows
          it could take months.  She also wishes to put her hands on the
          Elven alloys for elven items but knows such knowledge is
          difficult to obtain, even with sidh in the party.]

         Z'leyra: "A downside to having powerful armor, weapons or items is
           that the gods seem to expect more and set greater challenges."

         Raban [smiling at Z'leyra]: "I would love to have you make me armor
           powerful enough to worry the gods, you can take my measurements
           anytime you wish." [then continues] "Do you really think that
           armor would change how they treat such as I? Is it not obvious
           that I have been chosen to entertain them, why else would a boy
           training to be a great dancer suddenly grow to a size to be
           ridiculed off the stage no matter the quality of his performance?
           So I chose a Goddess who would love me as well as be entertained
           by me and if she chooses harder tasks for me it will be because
           she knows I will do all I can for her. But if a tasks needs
           doing, does it matter whether you are armored or naked? You must
           still do your best to achieve it. Perhaps it is the other way
           around, the gods knew you had a difficult task and arranged for
           you to acquire powerful tools to perform it?"

         [Raban begins to day dream on thinking of her taking his body
          measurements and maybe him taking hers..]

         [As the group rests for a few minutes he mentions the benefits of
          blessings and luck.  Raban has demonstrated that his bless spells
          work well.  Luck can improve one's chances for healing even if
          more than one healing is done in a day.  Raban hears the words
          and recalls he could've done a blessing on Kiet but doubts he
          would have had time.  Z'leyra also recalls Kiet's close call and
          figures she could've loaned him the luck item but it didn't come
          to mind.]

         Caladan: "It is amazing how healing works.  Most of us could only
           take one healing and then we risk the god's anger.  Then there
           are folks like Farseeker who have the god's favor and can take
           five or six healings without fear.  Sometimes I think the
           spirits just show favoritism."

         [Arawn examines the coins on the glass table and figures they might
          be worth as collector items.  But if they come from a long lost
          land who would know they exist and thus want to collect them?  He
          wonders if anyone in the middle world would want them.  He
          resolves to save his magical power for the night but realizes
          that the hour is still early not even 11am and there is hours
          left in the day and much to explore her.]

         [Arawn examines the dead dark Elf which is a mystery to him as
          much as the others.  His parents have much to tell if he ever
          returns home.]

         Arawn: "I am glad that we are alive but I do not hate these elves.
           I have never heard of them before which sends a few thoughts
           through my mind but I cannot judge them while knowing only a
           little of them. Their hatred, well-founded or otherwise, will
           only serve to destroy them and I wish to know from whence it
           came, though it seems linked to the days of ancient past. I
           pity them for suffering the baggage of such hate, for it is a
           poison that eats at the soul and can rob one of joy and love."

         [The group wonders if some of those comments are directed to some
          in the party.  But at least it confirms that Arawn doesn't seem
          to recognize the 4 elves at all.]

         [Arawn glances at the floor where A'kril died and turned to dust.
          He speaks up so the entire room can hear him.]

         Arawn: "It is a pity that this should end in slaughter. He was a
           man only seeking to protect himself against invaders, as any of
           us would have done if strangers arrived uninvited into our homes
           after killing our beloved allies and pets. He did not initiate
           combat and it is a shame that our group was the one to do so,
           resulting in the murder of a man in his home.

           I know that there are times when we must fight but I hope that
           we can learn that an enemy does not always hide behind every
           door, even if some are mixed in the fold," [he added as he
           looked at the Dark Elves.] "In doing so we might miss the chance
           for a friend because we are too set in turning them into an
           enemy."

         [Arawn collects a nail and skin sample from the dark elf that
          attacked him. He knows the skin might not last but a few hours
          at best and same for the nail.  But he figures some body
          samples are best to learn more of these creatures than through
          other traditional methods like books and research.  He knows the
          vase of ashes are ashes of only A'kril's clothes.  The dust and
          his actual body are impossible to collect as the dust is so
          fine and everywhere.  Lear

         Arawn: "I'll see what I can find out later."

         [As Arawn collects the Elven samples Caladan frowns at the sight.]

         Caladan: "The dead should be respected.  The spirit can't rest
           or go to its final place if some part of it is missing.  This
           is how the shamans teach us."

         [After Arawan makes his comments on the sad state of affairs a
          grunt or moan can be heard but Arawn seems to ignore the sounds
          and continues with a sad look on his face.]

         Arawn: "I hope that such a mistake doesn't come to haunt us
           again."  [He paused a moment in respectful silence before
           continuing.]

           "My thoughts go back to the words of the prophet shared by
           the High Elder.

          "In the days before the Second Great Plaque a son of the ice
          warrior will come in a mysterious manner.  The Chosen One will
          lead the Son to seek the Outsiders. The floating dark cloud will
          mark its shadow on the cold and bring a great blight to the land.
          The tainted and cursed one will seek friendship before death
          comes. Through group confluence shall the terror be dealt with..."

          "A'kril seemed willing to talk over fight and his final words
          still ring in my ears, "I'm free."

          "He seemed oddly happy to die and combined with the rapid aging
          of the body leads me to believe that he may have been cursed to
          remain here for some purpose, though I do not know what. All this
          seems to indicate he might have been the one mentioned in the
          line, ' The tainted and cursed one will seek friendship before
          death comes.'" [He looked down at the ashes and whispered,]  "You
          have mine Master A'kril." [Arawn then looked up and continued,]
          "With his death I wonder, what is the 'terror' mentioned or have
          was he guarding it? If so, I dread to think what has been
          released.   I would question A'kril's spirit but I fear Caladan
          is likely right. Casting such a spell here could prove disastrous.
          If only there were a way to perceive the all the wards and what
          they do? Maybe one of the candles serves as the focus for the
          masking magic, hmmm?"-

         Caladan: "Mistake? If you think he didn't start this by invading
           this land.  By having his pets, who he could've likely stopped,
           not attack us then maybe you should rethink." [He rustles his
           hair in frustration but his anger seems to ebb.] "Look.  This
           place is a clear threat.  We can think of this place as a nice
           area to visit and have tea.  But if those below us find it and
           obtain it the balance of power will shift.  Can you imagine some
           wizard with this place at his leisure?  Nothing but a few people
           skilled in teleport or flight or such might be able to get here.
           It would make attack and retreat for the wizard invincible.  The
           High Elder saw it as a threat.  If his enemy saw it they'd use
           it against him.  No.  The safest thing A'kril could've done is
           not to come here period. That was his mistake.  This visitor
           was probably here to obtain some alliance if not steal this
           place.  Your idea of peace and love is all nice and good.  But
           sometimes your a confusing confusing person.  I can see why
           Raban is so distracted by the words of peace and war.  We
           simply defended ourselves.  As to prophecy and such I don't
           take much coin into them.  We shall see it all comes down."
           [He pauses and straightens his tunic.  He speaks a bit more
           softly] "Look in situations like this where a person says
           disarm or die we don't have time to talk.  Time is critical
           and as we saw it gave A'kril time to get reinforcements here.
           We almost lost three today including yourself.  Talk is all
           great in some situations but as you saw not all our group is
           keen on such things." [He turns to leave clearly a bit
           frustrated with things have turned out and with Arawn's action.
           It is clear he tried to say more in other terms but couldn't or
           wouldn't get it out.]

         [upon hearing Arawn's words about the fallen A'kril he growls.]

         Ben'dar: "Enemies are to be killed, not to drink tea with, He
           wanted to take our lives.  His warriors waited to ambush us.
           His fate is just."

         Raban: "As a druid, Arawn's words are law to many peoples. As a
           bard, I must try to follow them as much as I can, though I am
           finding that difficult."

         [As Arawn finishes his speech about A'kril finds little comfort in
          the words.  Clearly Kiet finds he is not alone as Ben'dar, Caladan
          and Raban seem to indicate their confusion and lack of confidence
          in talking. Kiet glares back at Arawn with ill-concealed
          hostility. To Z'leyra and Raban's general direction he speaks to
          those who saved his life.]

         Kiet:  "I do not understand that man!  If he is not an imbecile he
           is a fool!  His lack of action may well have killed several of
           us. And it's not the first time.  These people and things here
           are Chaos and Kotothi! We can only trust them to harm or hinder
           us." [Louder, and to the whole group ] "There is a storage room
           off that way that may have some items of value.  After I have

           caught my breath, I would like to join the group hunting around.
           When we get back, however, I very much would like to get my
           hands on that last live guard and ask him a few 'pointed'
           questions. I can be, um, persuasive in my own way.  If someone
           needs to stay behind and watch the good fellow, I'll volunteer."

           "Also, I wanted to state to the Group how thankful I am for you
           that helped or tried to help me.  I am thankful to be alive.
           Raban and especially Fremea, I tried to keep the bad guys from
           you both...and only partially succeeded...but I did try...and
           was successful more often than once.  I'm sorry it couldn't
           have been more."

         [Fremea smiles back at Kiet and nods at him.]

         Fremea: "Though I thank you for your help in keeping some away
           from me, I do wish you would not destroy yourself in doing so."
           [Her smile is even bigger now.] "Mostly so that I may have more
           fun later, it would be a shame to lose you now that you found
           us."

         [Caladan walks over toward Kiet and nods.  He quietly speaks
          to him so only he could hear but not as if trying to stop
          anyone else from hearing.]

         Caladan: "Arawn is one confusing man.  It seems new people to
           this group have to learn things and we have to learn from
           them.  Heck, when Chion joined back on Cl-..back on
           an island two or three years ago, Farseeker had issues with
           him.  It took some time and they became friends.  It will
           take time for us to get used to Arawn.  Then we can either
           ignore him or follow him.  Maybe he is wrong and we are
           right or the other way around."

         [Raban listens to Kiet's outburst and sighs.  He approaches
          and speaks to him.]

         Raban: "No it is usually not a good idea to trust those of Kototh
           or Chaos but anyone who can pass the training to be a Druid
           cannot be a fool or an idiot. Maybe it is just because he is not
           a human that we have difficulty understanding his intent. My
           Bardic teacher was an Elf so I know the Sidh are very different
           from humans, enough so that you must be careful not to expect a
           human answer. But remember this, no Sidh is likely to trust
           Kototh or Chaos even minutely, yet Arawn tried to learn
           something from them. I can only hope those smarter and wiser
           than I, know what they are doing."  [He glances over to look
           at Arawn who is inspecting the Elven armor.  Raban considers
           Kiet's attempt to help them out and continues.]

           "You took many risks to help others and may have saved lives
           doing so. Even I could not have taken many more hits. That is
           the danger of being out numbered, you are more easily hurt. If
           you can keep an enemy from a friends back, you have greatly
           helped your friend, even if you do not hurt that enemy."

         [Arawn listens to the comments and remains silent.  The Alfar and
          the druid in him is confused by the anger and arguments about him.
          He simply isn't used to it.  In the court people even some gods
          went out of their way to cater to him and his parents. Making
          them angry was not an option.  This is new to him that someone
          would question his beliefs and intentions.  Of course it all
          changed when he become of age to learn and study with some of
          the court's trusted followers.  After that Arawn saw life not
          as a safe haven like the court but a dangerous universe.  After
          that he met many who would argue with him and his views.  Of
          course Arawn was one not to dare to argue with his own parents,
          especially his father, that simply wasn't wise at all.  Emotions
          flood Arawn during the talks of the others about him.  His druidic
          and priest side clearly trains him to be calm and listen to all
          views.  His elite Alfar side shows him not to listen to others
          but to use immortals as mere objects.  His magician side says
          there are dynamic sides to all arguments, Chaos for example, and
          they should be kept at bay.  He turns to Raban and speaks.]

         Arawn: "Thank you, Raban, for trying to keep the peace. Trying
           your best is all I can ask," [he said with a smile.] "But I do
           not think A'kril was like many others in power you may have
           encountered in your past. I could be wrong, I am aware, but I
           don't think he would so callously throw us aside without
           provocation. But we will never know. All I can say, as advice,
           is that we should be careful about making assumptions without
           need, especially with little to base it off of.

           It is a challenge I face regularly, to balance the art of a
           warrior, a druid, and a diplomat. Which path to choose at times
           can be confusing but I choose to focus on my goal- peace, love,
           and understanding between all things. Something that has set me
           apart from many mortals and immortals alike, but it is a path I
           choose because I believe the goal is worth it, no matter how
           hard or lonely the path can sometimes be."

         [Arawn turns to include Ben'dar in the conversation.]

         Arawn: "I understand the need to defend against an enemy but was
           he? The dark elves, for me at least, yes, but A'kril? We had
           spoken before, about the line that blurs between friend,
           stranger, and enemy. We came here looking for an enemy, not
           knowing if one was here or not, and, so, found one. Whether
           A'kril was truly our enemy we do not know, he could have been
           a friend, but we hunted so hard for an enemy we may have found
           an enemy amongst those who weren't.

           The man did as I imagine any man, Zenda or otherwise, would. He
           sought to defend himself against intruders that invaded his home,
           killed his pets or loved ones, and then attacked him. Remember,
           A'kril did not strike the first blow, we did. Would you have
           done any different in his place?

           And remember, for an enemy, he sought to save Z'leyra's life from
           the Darkling Light by dispelling it when the fight still seemed
           in his favor".  [Sensing the frustration and anger seething
           within Kiet Arawn regarded him calmly and lovingly.]

           "You have suffered much here today, Kiet. I am sorry for your
            hurt. I do not think you understand my actions, my motives.

            Those who almost died here today did not suffer so due to
            inaction on my part, for my apparent inaction was a choice,
            an action, and a statement, but almost died due to the actions
            of others. A'kril did not strike first, we did. He reacted to
            our actions, from which this trouble sprang.

            I seek for peace among all, as hard as that is. If I did not
            I would be no different from most of the immortals, Sidh
            included, for they hold this realm and the mortals that walk
            upon it as insects or a blight to be destroyed in some cases,
            Since they were here first, are they right? I do not believe
            so for there is something greater in the universe that we do
            not see. To focus on our hate and prejudices feeds suffering.
            I agree that one must be wary while looking for peace but as
            adventurers it is all too easy to err on the side of violence
            when it might not be a wise choice. Such actions perpetuate
            and empower forces of evil, such as Chaos and the Great
            Serpent as you mention, while weakening the forces of good
            and of love. It is such views that allows humans to war against
            each other and to hate the Sidh, hunting and enslaving them
            when they are innocent, as happened to Fremea. Do not assume
            that I am unaware of need for violence at times, if you know
            my mother and father you would realize that I was raised amidst
            war and violence as much as I was in magic, art, and civility.
            I am sorry we do not see eye to eye but know that I love you
            all, as I do all things, regardless of how you and they may
            feel about me and my ways. I too have much to learn but I hope
            that in time we will be able to walk harmoniously together
            someday."

         [Doesn't take a empath to clearly see the emotion running through
          Kiet.  A slight sarcastic smirk shines on his face briefly as
          he reacts to Arawn.]

         Kiet: "Hey, I have an idea!  Let's let our armor-clad Alfar
           friend take point for the rest of our time on this floating
           rock pile?"

         Arawn: "I am fine with that, Kiet," [Arawn said as he rose to his
           feet.] "Though I wonder if you ask out of anger or practicality,"
           [he added calmly as he walked away.]

         [Ben'dar grunts and turns around as he controls a laugh from
          bursting out.]

         [Arawn thinks about what Raban says about his word as law and turns
          back to Raban to speak.]

         Arawn: "I have heard what you had to say and it seems you have
           interpreted my request as law. I did not mean for this my
           friend. It was a request. I am not here now to give orders but
           to share lessons that we might better understand ourselves and
           the world around us.. I understand that we must protect ourselves
           and others. I only asked that we temper our actions and the
           decisions we make with love, for all things have the potential
           for good as well as evil and life should be cherished wherever
           it is found. It is a practice of tolerance and compassion and
           one I study every day. Perhaps, when this is all over, you might
           wish to visit with the Forestal and Green Lady, mother of a bard
           of our acquaintance it so happens, of a wood I know of in this
           world. They hold much wisdom and a deep reverence for life and
           can teach these things along with the druids and bards there. If
           you are ever interested please let me know. In the meanwhile,
           whatever follows we should armor you. My magical scalemail was
           wrought in Alfheim and holds strong enchantment upon it,
           unfortunately it is too small for you, Raban, and too big for
           Fremea. Kiet has chosen chainmail but if he, or anyone else,
           feels that my magical armor will do them some good then please
           feel free to wear it.

           As for those who remain unarmored, Raban for example, I can craft
           temporary armor for you right now. My magics are low and I must
           rest to restore them but if any wish me to do so now, before the
           morning, then let me know and I will call forth the stuff of
           shadows."

         [Raban tries to listen and understand but it is apparently how one
          is raised and the environment raised in makes such understanding
          difficult.]

         Raban: "A druid is a cultural treasure, an embodiment of
           everything that culture tries to be or knows. Such a being gave
           its childhood up to learn things most adult's cannot comprehend
           and gave its future to returning such knowledge to its people.
           To assault such a one is a crime punished by death. They are
           Judges and Law givers whose wisdom is beyond reproach. A Bard
           is expected to obey a Druid in all things as his role is to
           assist the Druid in teaching the people what they need to know.
           To keep the culture's history and wisdom alive through story
           and song. As a follower of Miryan of the Courts of Cernunnos,
           the Sidh are usually my allies in most things, so even though
           you are a Druid of a different Culture, you are one I am required
           to assist at need. Because there are differences, I am allowed
           some choice in following your orders even to disobey ones that
           cross my teachings. So I am in a difficult spot, when should I
           assume your wisdom was inadequate enough that what you ask me
           to do can be ignored? I am told I am a bit slow in understanding,
           so perhaps I will find a way to balance this later, but all I
           can do now is to weigh your 'requests' against the risks to
           others as I have been doing. I am not one who enjoys hurting
           others, I much prefer a more peaceable solution. But I cannot
           tolerate anyone hurting a woman, even though my goddess does not
           always require that of me. That has always gotten me into
           trouble, but to me it is worth the costs, and this mission is
           no exception. These ladies have embarked on a dangerous mission
           and though more formidable than any I have known before, they
           still need my protection. If nothing else, those who are
           attacking me are not hurting them. But I am quickly finding,
           there are limits to how long I can keep a quantity of enemies
           away from them without having to hurt them. I am being forced
           to seriously hurt them, even kill them because that is easier
           and quicker to do than knocking them out. It will need much
           meditation and prayer to cleanse this stain from my heart. And
           worse I have asked for better armor to make it possible for me
           to do even more harm! But I do not see any other way to do what
           is needed, I cannot allow myself to fail yet I cannot dodge
           every attack. So I ask for a means to make myself into an
           unstoppable juggernaut! More so than that poor metal man that
           so frightened others, I risk becoming a true monster. Maybe the
           difficulty in getting such armor shows that I should not have
           it, that letting myself be hurt will remind me what I am doing
           to others?"

           "So this is really what I ask of you, in your wisdom, can I be
           allowed such defenses? To better allow me to stain my hands
           with the blood of others? Is this mission worth such risks?"

         Arawn: "It is good to know that you strive for peaceful resolutions
           to situations, Raban. As to when to cross a line, to fight or
           talk, it is not always an easily definable line. Life is a
           precious thing but we cannot deny death its due. Both are part
           of the great cycle, for all life subsists on the lives of other
           things. The hunter eats his prey just as the prey feeds on the
           lives of plants. It is not an issue of whether an action is
           right or wrong, it is an issue of motivation, why we choose
           the action."

           "If I were to tell you that a man violently slaughtered a group
           of women in his home, how do you judge that? Did he do wrong? If
           he lured them there and forced himself upon them before killing
           them he would be condemned. But what if they had broken into his
           home and attempted to kill him and his family out of jealousy?
           Now is he in the wrong?"

           "In either situation the women died, the difference wasn't in the
           man's choice of action but why he did it, his motivation. One
           was selfish, fueled by lust and violence, while the other was
           done out of a need to protect himself and his loved ones."

           "You, like all of us, have motivations. Do you know your
           priorities? Do you know why you do what you do, on deep level?
           You seek to protect women above all others, so it seems. Why?
           Do you cherish them above all, if so, why?

           "Or do you seek penance for something in your past that haunts
           you? Are you protecting them because you've yet to resolve this?
           Aren't all things, or at least men versus women, deserving the
           same level of respect, protection, and love? Is a man or child
           truly less deserving of your protection than a woman?"

           "Or is it that you feel that women are weak? Strength comes in
           many packages, not just in our arms and legs."

           "It could be one of the above, a mix, or none at all but ask
           yourself why you make the decisions that you do and then after
           finding the answer, dig deeper to find the root emotion behind
           it, the motivation and prioritize them. Raban, the saying goes,
           we all have two wolves within us, one good- love, hope,
           compassion, truth, and wisdom- and one bad - anger, hate,
           jealousy, resentment, and deceit. These wolves fight daily,
           who wins depends on which wolf you choose to feed. if you still
           seek penance I suggest you ponder my words and decide if you
           truly need it. In my mind I do not think so but only you can
           remove the stain on your heart and free the voices of your past.
           All anyone else can do is offer you the tools to aid you in this,
           they cannot free you from yourself."

           "As to whether or not to armor yourself, there is no wrong in it.
           All things fight for their lives, do so knowing that you are
           striving to do good things and to protect those who cannot
           protect themselves and you must be armed and armored- physically,
           spiritually, and morally- when you must face a challenge and have
           no recourse but to fight. Choose your actions knowing your
           motivations, focus on love and respect for life, remain
           principled and you should have little reason to doubt your
           choice of actions." [Arawn paused and smiled quietly,]

           "I do not know if my words are eloquent enough for you, if my
           message has been properly worded, but when this is done, if you
           are not in a hurry, there are some you might wish to study with.
           In the forests to the west lies a Sacred Forest guarded by a
           Forestal, a Green Lady, and an Archdruid and his disciples,
           including a Bard that is friend to us. They are dedicated to
           the Court of Life, the Neutral Path, and in that place all life
           is sacred. They can teach more than I think I will be able to.
           Let me know if you wish to travel there and I will happily
           sponsor you before them."

         [Fremea hears the offer to help with armor and replies.]

         Fremea: "Thank you for your concern Arawn, though my armor is in
           very good condition at this time. If there is a need, I will be
           glad to accept later."

         [As Arawn speaks of love and trying to get at the motivation of
          Raban, Caladan walking over near Ben'dar stops.  he leans in
          and whispers.]

         Caladan: "If he ever tries that mushy talk on me please kill me
           quickly." [Then he moves on to do something else.

         [As the bickering continues Chion standing near Fremea speaks in a
          shallow but haunting voice.  For the first time she can detect
          keen interest and confusion in the teleporter.  It is as if he
          lowered his guard for a brief moment.]

         Chion: "I wonder if I will  ever fully understand how will,
           conscience, and ambition are made to collide. For now I am
           happy that my friends are breathing. I wonder what his final
           words mean "at last I am free". That interests me more than
           all this bickering about intentions and courts of other
           realms."

         [Fremea quietly responds to her friend Chion.]

         Fremea: "Yes, it does seem very odd that would be said as the last
           words. I have heard many last words before, though no one ever
           was happy to be dead. I would say that it is important you stick
           close to many of the others in case an emergency teleport is
           needed. I am also beginning to wonder why your elder sent us
           all here. I know it was because he 'wanted' to know about this
           place, though I have suspected something more, I just don't
           know what, as I am still really learning about living my own
           life."

         [When Fremea hears of the Alfar speak of the Sacred Forest she
          becomes worried.  What if this place can hear and record such
          things?  What if there are enemies that could hear that.  It is
          sensitive information to speak about.  She came to the forest and
          was welcome with open arms.  To put them into jeopardy by telling
          a new comer of the place is dangerous, especially in this place.
          There is no telling what could have heard that speech.]

         [Fremea watches with some fascination the arguments between Arawn,
          Kiet, Ben'dar and Raban.  For years she was used for such things.
          Create an argument with someone while a thief stole from the same
          person.  Create an argument for someone to ambush that person.  A
          life she dreaded every day. She is still unsure who she can trust
          in this group.  It is ironic that she who lived among humans, as
          their slave, can deal with other humans a bit better than Arawn.
          She figures the closed off life of court and upper world life
          must've taken that human interaction away from Arawn.  When
          usually Elves are better with humans than Faerry, or so she has
          been told by those in the Pavassa forest.  After hearing Raban
          seem to treat Arawn as a leader, she figures he doesn't know
          where to go and who to help out.  Kiet has his flaw of emotional
          outbursts for an entertainer that could get him killed with a
          noble.  She scans the group thinking of each person and their
          flaws and strengths. Her training as a slave and the life after
          taught her not to trust few but to assess their strengths and
          flaws.  With these arguments she can learn more in 5 minutes
          than she could in days of talking.  Ben'dar she figures to
          be hot headed but can control his temper.  He seems to have
          the unique ability to assess damage and see through threats.
          But with that comes confidence and charging into the same
          danger too fast.  Chion in his stealth ways uses teleport to
          hide and show himself.  To Fremea who has befriended Chion first
          she finds him quite and aloof.  He rarely speaks and for that
          it is hard to learn things about him.  For the giant his
          strength is just that his body.  But he is soft as a satin
          pillow.  For that and his quest to protect women is his biggest
          flaw aside from following Druids.  Unali uses her strength
          in stealth to hide herself but doesn't need to even though she
          can seem to enter areas most can't.  That might indicate Unali
          covers her personality up and hides her emotions from others.
          Fremea hasn't figured out Unali's main flaw yet.  For Z'leyra
          who is always giving to others she cares about her precious
          items too much.  Carrying everything with her into battle,
          into a tavern as if they are pure gold.  That is her flaw.
          Her dependency to the items.  That was learned some time ago
          by Fremea.  But she realizes her items have done wonders for
          the party as a whole. In arguments humans seem to give their
          thinking process away.  She continues to make mental notes.]

         [Caladan comes forward and stands in the center between those who
          are arguing.  He raises his staff and free hand up.]

         Caladan: "This place must be making us fight.  That is not useful
           at all.  Some of us kill." [He glances at Ben'dar] "Some of us
           talk." [Glances at Arawn] "While others entertain." [He glances
           at Kiet and Raban.] "We won't ever see full eye to eye on this
           peace and war.  We should calm down before this place takes us
           to a place we'll regret."

         [As everyone rests, Chion considers his own recent events with the
          new information he has learned from the events here.  He learns
          this leader, A'kril, wanted to talk first but then fought or vice
          versa.  He learns of the mysterious elf that is dark and not from
          flame.  He tries to put the full picture into some perspective
          and states to all.]

         Caladan: "This visitor must be Katai.  Likely one with some
           agenda the High Elder might not like."

         Chion: "She would seem to have obviously come here before. Knowing
           both the guards outside as well as the inner chamber's contents.
           It is safe to presume from what was said in here and by her that
           she was just a visitor and not someone who lives here. While she
           could obviously answer some questions, she wouldn't know this
           place to well. This guard is probably our best hope of
           understanding what is happening here. Or to question the dead,
           if their spirits remain."

         [Chion wonders if the Elfs have spirits or souls as humans do and
          do they remain in some place or fade or go to another place
          like humans seem to think?  He continues speaking.]

         Chion: "Another thing to consider is that we could not see how
           large this keep is from the outside due to the weather. It is
           curious to me that the owner would be only two rooms in.
           Obviously there is a place needed to keep guards and feed
           people and such. There is no doubt we should explore further.
           I need to contact the High Elder and talk with him on what has
           happened first though." [He will look at his staff.] "I wonder
           if it will work from within here."

         [Chion begins to head to a corner to communicate with his staff.
          Having learned the reverse method to the staff he hopes it
          will work in this place.  Oddly enough though it hasn't felt
          warm one bit since the first teleport up.]

         Caladan: "I suspect A'kril waited for the visitor here in this all
           but a waiting room.  I also think we should explore. The guard
           will be out for at least two hours maybe more.  I suspect he
           could be woken up but best let him rest it out."

         GM: These recent posts have become lost in the mess and I can't
             figure out where they fit in the stuff above so just fit them
             in here.  Having worked on this for the past week I can't keep
             track of what has happened. Sorry if its out of order.

         [Raban considers the offer of armor and replies to Arawn.]

         Raban: "We are safe enough for the moment, save your magic for
           emergencies, I can wait a while longer. So there is magic to
            craft armor from Shadows? That is not one I have heard of
            before, but then my magic knowledge is quite limited. If it
            is an easy one to do, could it also make a bow strong enough
            to use my strength? I have worked on such myself but so far
            my skill has not been up to making one strong enough.

            I suspect wood alone is not enough and I am unskilled with
            working metals. Of course bows have not been very useful here,
            so likely it is of no import. I thank you for sharing your
            wisdom, there is much I need to learn."

         GM: Not sure where this comes from, maybe I missed an email
             in the 43 that has come out as I've tried to work on
             the update.  Don't know.  But here goes. :)

         Raban: "I have tried Elven bows and found they are wonderful
           things that seem to help you pull them, but my teacher's bow was
           no stronger than I could make from wood. If I could find an
           Elven Boyer that could make one as strong as I would like, it
           would be a true miracle as anyone could pull it. Still they
           would be more likely to have the skill needed than most and
           the Elven magic may allow a wooden bow to reach such strength.
           I tried a ballista once, just to see how strong they were and
           found it was a bit weaker than I would like and it was made of
           steel. So I continued to work on my own crafting, and asking in
           various places when I remember too do so. I think it would take
           me some time to learn the differences to using an Elven bow as
           well so it would not help right now, but I do thank you for the
           generous offer."

                                --------------

        [Time: 10:44am]

        [Time flies as the party continues to argue or discuss motivations.
         Outside the storm continues with strong intensity.  By now the
         discussion seems to have slowed down some 10 minutes after it
         started.  As folks have rested, healed and gathered up gear the
         party prepares to leave.]

         [As the group prepares to leave, Unali finds it useful to explore
          the first floor in a small group.  With a faint smile on her
          face she turns to Chion and speaks.]

         Unali: "Are you ready now to look for the kitchen? I still could
           use some hot tea."

         Fremea: "I will watch for traps or other possible hidden places
           as we explore."

         [Chion comes forth from the corner with a slight frown on his face.
          Contact with the high elder failed.  It must be this place, the
          magic of this place, blocking the staff's power. No sensation or
          heat at all was felt by the staff.  He'll have to contact the
          High Elder on the ground.]

         [Caladan walks up along side Kiet with a frown and realizes that
          something said was overlooked.]

         Caladan: "Wait you say there is a storage room over there? How
           exactly do you know this? " [His eyebrows shift as if now
           suspicious of Kiet] "Have you been here before?"

         Kiet: "My talents are not limited to sword point catching.." [He
           grins] "Do you remember that little blue ball we saw at the
           entryway?  That was me...I used it to unobtrusively look around
           a bit.  It's how I also knew that there was someone in this
           room before we entered it."

         Caladan: "I see.  A magical scouting ball? Interesting."

         [As he waits for an answer the others pick up gear.  Z'leyra
          explains she'll stay here to rest, watch the guard and meditate.
          With her wounds if something happened it could be a risk moving
          about the castle.  The others acknowledge her and move on,
          even if Kiet doesn't

        Actions? Comments?

        GM: Next post is the exploration update...
            Sorry for the long reading but there was a lot of GOOD
            conversation.  I hope to see a lot of it in the future. I
            encourage it.  I may have to award role playing experience
            this go around! Good job folks!