[pnpgm] Game Update #45 - File #185 - Party learns travel route

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue May 13 08:56:02 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  -- J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #45 in sequence (file #185)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          [Raban feels uncomfortable in the heavily shielded room once
          he found he could not feel his goddesses presence. Being a
          consummate actor, he lets nothing show.]

          [Once out of the meeting, Raban will approach Zhou] Raban:
          "Depending on how far we are traveling, I may need a horse or
          other means to move faster or I will may delay everyone. I
          have rarely given it much though since I stop often when I
          travel so speed was not required."

          <GM should ignore the duplicate email, I forgot to fix the
          reply>
        GM: Ack. Didn't get duplicate email actually.

                        ----------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea will take any extra time before they leave to find out
          what she can on the creatures. She will take everything she has
          with her (easy ;)).

        [Marqi 30th, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: High Elder's Domain, Dark Lands, North-East
           corner of continent, center of Dark Lands.]

        [Time: 12:25pm]

        [The short audience with the High Elder seems to be coming to an
         end.  He perks up and gives a few final thoughts.]

        Caladan: "I have one question, sir."

        Elder: "Yes?"

        Caladan: "A realm full of wizards who can wield great magics does
          not have teleporters?  Yet the reception area we came in is
          designated for teleports? If you will excuse my boldness but
          this doesn't make sense."

        [A slight breath of air escapes Sven's mouth as he hears the words
         of Caladan.  A smirk crosses Chion's face as he almost hears the
         challenge in Caladan's words. A bold move but for a dead man what
         can he have to lose?  He already died once.  Ki'ama squirms
         slightly but only Z'leyra and Fremea notice the slight movement.
         He nods and gives a slight sigh.]

        Elder: "Yes.  We do have teleporters here.  Not to the great skill
          that Chion clearly has.  A few miles at best they might go. Many
          serve as official Domain messengers. But to be honest I could ask
          them to explore the object. But their lower skill doesn't allow a
          full party to join them without some effort of going back and
          forth.  Plus they are rather...oriented to their own agenda if
          you understand.  I rather keep this quiet for now.  If others
          knew of this object they'd seek it out and try to capture it for
          their own use."

        Caladan: "I see.  So may I ask if Chion feels this is not a threat
          to the domain and we do capture an empty castle.  Who will
          claim it, you?"

        [Ki'ama's eyes twinkle from a slight rise in blood pressure as
         anger seems to quickly fade faster than a dwarf drinks a mug
         of ale.  Then he calms down and smiles.]

        Elder: "You ask the hard questions don't you?  I have put some
          thought into this.  To be honest I do not know.  If I decide
          to claim it surely I'll have a fight on my hands.  If I give
          it to someone then the same thing.  Could we use it as a base
          for emergencies?  Maybe.  Move it out far to see and high
          above so only Chion could get to it?  I just don't know.
          I only see the object as two things.  One is as a weapon. A
          base of operations one could set forces adrift across the
          region and dominant.  Who could challenge such a thing?
          That is the way of might and conquest.  I seek isolation here
          and knowledge.  It would offset the balance of power too
          greatly and I can't nor won't allow it.  The other is as
          a defense against hostile forces from enemies we yet to
          know here in the Dark Lands.  A base to plan our own defense
          of our homeland here we've made.  I foresee a great shadow
          crossing the continent in the near future.  From what I've
          learned and observed through my items out there the darkness
          is building.  If you and your friends survive this mission
          I'll go into more details.  If not it may all be for nothing."

        [Caladan nods and seems satisfied at the answer given.  Sven
         and Kwat give a slight sigh of relief from the possible danger
         Caladan may have caused.  To those who know Caladan they
         find the behavior ordinary.  He doesn't like to be walked on
         and shows confidence.  If anything being the son of a Ga'sha
         he has been trained in forms of slight diplomacy, even the
         harsh barbaric version at the end of a weapon.  To Arawn,
         Fremea and Raban they find the questions a bit dangerous
         since Kaylle warned of wizard challenges and how they get
         upset at the drop of a hat.]

        Elder: "If no one else has any more questions or wishes to ask me
          something then this audience is over.  I'm sorry to cut it short
          but I have an appointment in an hour.  Seems some apprentice
          turned a dog into hunting and eating only snails by accident.
          So the Count who owned the dog cursed the apprentice by making
          him look like a snail.  The Dog chases him all day.  But that
          snail is sure fast!  So I must intervene and resolve this
          accident argument.  Sven will take you outside and then give
          further instructions. If anyone wishes to hold a small private
          audience alone with me I will grant a few minutes.  But be
          advised events beyond the current mission will not be discussed
          at this time.  It is a dangerous mission and we must first see
          if all return to discuss the future.  Thank you all for coming.
          I wish all of you the best of luck in this mission."

        [Ki'ama taps one gem and Raban feels the oppressed sense of
         dread leave the room.  Raban has only felt that way once when
         he entered a temple and the priest had a holy of holy altar
         setup for only his god and nothing else to taint it.  Ki'ama
         then taps another and Oby promptly opens the door with another
         servant and they rush in and collect the plates and wine glasses.
         The servant rushes out and Oby stands to the side as the
         tapestries change to another set of scenes.  The party wonders
         if they'll have a scene on this magical illusionary tapestries.
         But its doubtful they will, being a secret hidden mission.  Like
         the Climan mission secret heroes of a society that no one but
         a few will ever know.  At least to the Pavassa the party is well
         known as heroes in the open. The party sits not knowing the
         protocol of who should stand first or leave first.  Ki'ama
         continues to sit and that seems to indicate the party is allowed
         to stand so Oby waves the party up.  He escorts the party back
         into the hall.  Kwat and Sven are the last to leave. ]

        Oby: "Any more business with High Elder Ki'ama?"

        [He waits to see if anyone wishes a private audience.  If so
         he'll direct them outside while the party waits in the hall
         alone.  If not he'll move to the center of the going east.
         He passes the time by talking about the manor and the High
         Elder in almost fanatical tones.]

        Oby: "Wasn't that exciting?  A great honor indeed to even
          be so close to him.  How many can say that?" or "He spent
          three years building this place.  The architect was lured
          here directly from Katai and paid well.  Some places and
          things even I have no idea about." or "Yes his statue was
          given to him by the citizen great artist Ming Tao.  For
          leading the people from oppression in Katai to the land
          of expression and magic." or "Did you know many foreign
          people come here.  They hear of our great deeds or the
          power of the High Elder and seek his wisdom.  Few ever
          see him in person but many try.  We used to be a quiet
          rumor on the continent.  But around a decade ago it seems
          more and more people hear about us. Seems someone has left
          our land and spread knowledge around on purpose or by
          accident.  So we relent and let some foreigners inside
          to see what we have.  At least it's not the magical
          "ice city" they say is in the far north.  Those legends
          are clearly made by the tundra natives to scare outsiders."

        [When all have met their obligation in their private audience
         or are ready to move on Sven takes over.]

        Sven: "Oby is the meeting room clear?"

        Oby: "Yes.  The next guests will go into the throne room assuming
          the apprentice doesn't leave a slime trail." [He laughs.] "Go
          ahead."

        Sven: "All right.  I need to go upstairs to get things ready.
          Kwat needs to speak to Kiet.  When that is done we'll go
          upstairs.  Your free to use the lounge here or go to the
          kitchen there for some food."

        [The stone faced Kwat grins and points the way.  Kiet follows
         behind and turns to wonder what the party will be doing.  Kwat
         leads him back through the center statue area and foyer
         tot he stairs.  Kwat and Kiet then climb in silence to the
         third floor and past guards.  Kiet tries to look around but
         Kwat seems to walk fast on purpose and Kiet tries to keep
         up moving past doors and halls fast.  Finally after about
         four doors Kwat opens a door to a small private office.  Kwat
         takes his place behind the desk and lets Kiet sit.]

        Kwat: "I could use magic and prefer to use it for the truth.
          But High Elder Ki'ama wishes you no harm.  So I hope
          all answers are truthful.  We only have a few minutes before
          Sven calls his meeting so let's get started."

        [He begins to ask a series of questions about the day in
         question where Kiet stumbled upon the warehouse and what
         he saw.  If he can describe anyone there and what they
         were doing or saying.  Their intentions and possible plans.
         Kiet tries to answer as best he can but since it was a few
         weeks ago and he only had a quick few seconds the details
         are sketchy at best.  Kwat takes intense notes in a parchment
         and tries to follow-up with other questions.  But before
         it seems to start the meeting ends.  Kwat a bit frustrated
         with the lack of information decides to let Kiet leave.]

        Kwat: "I would appreciate when you return to maybe submit to
          a truth spell or memory spell at least.  We don't know what
          this group intended or intends to do.  But the more time
          we waste the longer the problem goes.  Of course you
          could decide to stay here with me instead of leaving with
          the others and enjoy my skills at getting to the meat
          of the problem?" [He smiles but Kiet feels a shiver run
          up his spine.  The cultured guy is not much more than a hired
          thug it seems.] "Consider your options.  Your free to go."

        [Kiet quickly leaves and realizes he is in the hall alone and
         looks around to his right and notices some rooms.  Then
         he looks to the left and a burly guard is standing there.
         He waves and Kiet sighs and they both go downstairs to the
         first floor again.  The guard turns Kiet over to Oby and
         they enter the lounge where Ben'dar is talking to Sven about
         some great battle in a area called Lake Oca (missing the
         details of the grey creatures).  Unali and Chion are playing
         a old game of cards they've not played in many years since
         it is a Katai style game.]

        [Time: 12:40pm]

        Sven: "Good your ready.  Let's head back up to the meeting room."

        Oby: "Will you be needing food?"

        Sven: "We won't be that long.  Thanks."

        Oby: "I serve to please."

        [Sven leads the party to the second floor and past a large room
         to a smaller room, the second door they come to.  He opens
         it to a meeting room clearly.  The room is 20 feet by 20 feet.
         A large oak table takes the bulk of the room.  Seats are here
         for 24 people looks like.  In the north-east area of the
         room is a small bar for drinks that Ben'dar eyes well.
         Along the east walls are magical board slate things that seem
         to hold maps and used for writing.  Z'leyra has seen only
         one such thing like it before in Ticasi's schools.  They can
         write on it and magically clear the slate.  South wall has
         a small cabinet probably for meeting supplies.  Lighting is
         done through lantern candles in the ceiling.  The floor is
         a soft green carpet. In the center of the magical slate-board
         is a map of the Dark Lands.]

        Sven: "Please be seated.  I'll get to it."

        [He walks to the map and points to the various domains and
         gives brief ideas of what domains are oriented to what
         like Law and Chaos.  The party soon realizes that Chaos
         seems to have a large show surrounding the place.  Fremea
         and Arawn are sad to see only one Elder domain but likely
         a human wizard owns that land.  He points to a symbol on
         the map and explains its the high Elder's estate where the
         party is at now.  It is pretty much dead center of the Dark
         Lands territory.  He then moves up to the top right and points
         out this is Novasa's estate.  He then moves to the left of that
         and a spot on the map (red on the web image) and explains
         this is his second home.]

        Sven: "Due to my contacts and relationships with the Ipanza.
          High Elder Ki'ama allows me to hold a small cottage here
          while I visit the tundra areas.  My estate is here."

        [Sven points to the white area of the map south of Ki'ama's
         estate (see below).  He then points to the top right and
         explains this is the ocean.]

        Sven: "As best we can figure the object came from here.  It
          then went west for some distance over the tundra and then
          turned south through here...here...here and then here.
          The last we know it remains high overhead here." [He
          points to a spot to the east of the Elder's estate.]

        Sven: "So this is where we are heading." [He moves his hand
          from Ki'ama's estate to the east (blue line on map). "I
          estimate its 40-45 miles at most.  Not that far."

        Caladan: "So why don't we just teleport there?"

        Sven: "He wishes me to show you the land and show that we
          are content and not evil monsters.  Consider it a good
          will type trip even though it'll be short.  Plus we don't
          know what we are up against. It could've moved and we
          don't know if magic will be used in exploring.  May need
          all the strength chion could muster for it.  Hate to get
          there and not be able to return to the land due to no
          magical strength left."

        [The party studies the map for a bit and the path of the party
         and the object.]

        Sven: "Let's see Kiet you have a donkey I believe.  So that
          will determine our speed.  We can get 18-20 miles a day
          as a group it seems.  So if we leave at 3 this afternoon
          then it would take us..." [He tries to concentrate and
          does the mental work in his head seemingly straining.]
          "It'll take us 2.5 days.  We travel today till sunset and
          then 2 more days.  Evening on the second day we'll get
          there maybe sooner if we travel well.  Zhou is already
          packing a draft horse of foods and drinks to give us
          something nice to enjoy.  If you need supplies or anything
          else see him.  Any questions?"

        [If no one has questions Sven will lead the party outside
         and downstairs to the bottom level.]

        Sven: "We leave at 3 that gives us roughly two hours if you
          need to gather up supplies do so.  Sorry we can't stay
          longer but we don't know how long we have with this object."

        [Those who turned over weapons gather them from guards
         and are allowed to leave the manor hourse.  As the party
         gather outside the field to the west where the wedding
         was held seems to have cleared up greatly.  Tables and
         chairs are virtually gone and only a few handful of
         people continue to mingle about.  Zhou finds the party
         and clasps his hands.]

        Zhou: "So I understand you may need some supplies?  Anything
          anyone needs in particular?"

        [Raban considers the trip and realizes the party will be
         going east not to the cold tundra.  That's good for some
         consideration.  He approaches Zhou.]

        Raban: "Depending on how far we are traveling, I may need a
          horse or other means to move faster or I may delay everyone.
          I have rarely given it much though since I stop often when
          I travel so speed was not required."

        [Zhou smiles and nods.]

        Zhou: "Arrangements for you have been made.  Last night when
          we learned you had no horse and your...body frame we made
          some arrangements. It will--

        [As the party stands outside the manor house looking around
         and considering their trip a noise is heard at the main doors.
         The party turns to see Zing gesturing and yelling at a guard
         and Oby at the main door.  The party is standing about 15
          feet away on the path.]

         Zing: "--should be able to see him as well!"

         Oby: "You have no appointment and have no Master to represent
           you.  You have yet to complete your magical trials to
           gain full wizard status.  When you complete those come back."

         [Oby storms inside and Zing approaches but a guard holds him
          back.  Zing turns to the party and then looks away.  He
          sees Chion and his face becomes red.  His fists clench in
          rage as he stares at the party and Zhou.]

         [Zing marches over to Chion and comes within a foot of his
          face snorting and breathing.  Zing looks up at Chion who
          towers over him by 15 inches and has about 50 pounds on
          the smaller younger man.  His fists clench and teeth
          rattle as he spits out his words.  Chion stands still and
          shows a slight smirk of contentment.]

         Zing: "You had to return.  Now you steal my standing in his
           eyes." [He nods his head toward the Elder's manor.] "Whatever
           your here for should be mine!" [His face turns red with
           hate.] "You ruined my life and now you will pay." [He steps
           back a foot.] "I claim right of Keute!"

         [Zhou sighs hearing the words.  But the party doesn't seem
          to understand the last word.  Zhou tries to explain it
          as he translates.]

         Zhou: "Keute is the right of magical duel.  Zing challenges
           Chion for his status here and magical prowess."

         Caladan: "Why does he hate Chion so much?"

         Zhou: "It started when they were both kids.  Zing broke a
           cardinal rule for apprentices.  Never harm a living thing
           in your studies and practices.  Even the Chaos wizards
           adhere to this rule.  This prevents things from animal death
           to large scale forest fires to erupt.  It is a rule all
           must understand and abide by.  Zing killed a small bird
           in an attempt to improve one of his spells.  He tried to
           cover it up but felt betrayed by Chion.  Chion was obligated
           to tell Correl of the incident.  Zing's master then separated
           himself from the apprentice.  A huge disgrace here.  Zing
           then moved on to live up north in the woods.  Alone and
           without a master to try to learn scraps from books and
           watching or spying on other wizards.  his story is widely
           known here."

         Caladan: "Why then was he invited to the wedding?"

         Zhou: "He wasn't by Correl but by the Sorceress as one
           of her guests.  Since she felt Correl knew the lad he
           might want to see him get married.  In the last year
           he lost his cabin to a fire from a spell backfire. A
           horse to a accident in the woods.  Just last month he
           was denied apprenticeship to Wang Xu.  I think when
           Chion got here that turned him over the edge."

         [Back near Chion and Zing, Zing smirks and looks to the
          party for some response.]

         Zing: "Your friends can't help you now.  Don't be a coward
           duel for your life and for your station."

         [Zhou leans to the party and explains.]

         Zhou: "A duel here can be between apprentice and apprentice
            or master and master.  The same level of experience must
            abide but never far between.  A mage can never duel an
            apprentice because experience level is too far apart.
            Technically Zing in the last census was raised above
            Apprentice to Magician rank.  But he hasn't gone through
            the magical trials to earn the rank officially.  By the
            custom he is allowed to duel Chion.  The fight is
            always to the death.  This is why duels are not taken
            lightly here.  The winner of the duel gains the wealth
            of the victim.  This includes land and any other wealth
            they may have."

         [Chion twists and glances at the party to see their reaction
         and wonders if this custom should even be discussed with
         outsiders.  This is a custom the Katai Wizards have done
         for a long time.  As he twists Zing continues.]

        Zing: "Run away.  Coward!"

        [Chion turns back and faces Zing.  Zhou explains the last
         bit of protocol on the custom.]

        Zhou: "The challenger gets the right to name the time and
          places a limit on the challenge.  But he only gets
          one spell to deny.  Chion in this case can deny the
          challenge but would be a bad thing for his standing in
          the Dark Lands.  He'd be tainted.  He could go through
          with the challenge and if so he has the right to use
          magic from afar or magic in close quarters.  Some prefer
          to duel using magic in range like weapons.  Others like
          to stand a few dozen paces away and cast magic at each
          other.  Both start at the same time.  Chion has the
          right also to declare his Referee to judge the contest
          but Zing can object only on the grounds he thinks it
          will not be impartial.  That probably excludes Correl.
          The High Elder is ultimate judge but Chion has the
          right to pick his own referee."

        Zing: "We do this now!"

        [Zhou stands up and approaches the two.]

        Zhou: "You know the rules.  No one can duel inside the
          citadel.  You can duel outside."

        [Zing turns to Zhou.]

        Zing: "If the coward accepts I choose this fight for now
          and he can't use his most precious spell of teleportation."

        [Zhou turns to Chion.]

        Zhou: "Do you accept? If so who is your Referee? Magic
         in close quarters or distance?"

        [Zhou speaks as if this is a everyday incident.]

        [Arawn watches the unfolding scene and considers this to be
         tame compared to duels in his land.  Gods duel and
         whole nations suffer.  Here only one simple mortal may die.
         But at least the humans don't make a mess of the land.]

        [Ben'dar grins seeing that Chion could probably easily take
         Zing in both areas of combat and magic.  He knows this
         should be a fun fight.

        [Caladan shakes his head.  A duel here might last for 2-3
         seconds or 2-3 minutes.  One person picks the first bad
         spell or one fails and its all over.  It seems to come
         down to that vital first spell.  Of course one could choose
         a defensive spell in which case the second spell will be
         the most vital.  There seems to be some form of art to this
         practice of dueling.]

        [Chion glances down to his ring on the hand holding the staff
         in his hands.  He knows a duel is pure magic.  he won't be
         allowed to use the staff or weapons or any other magical
         aid.  But the ring gives him the courage even in the face
         of death.  Chion knows that Zing will only continue his
         threats if Chion backs down.  What would his friends think
         of him dueling?  What if he didn't?  Would this act
         help or hinder his status?]

        [Fremea frowns at the thought of Chion having to duel another
         person.  She recalls when as a slave she was forced to
         fight some man in a closed off area.  It was either her
         or him that would come out alive.  As her slave masters
         watched she was forced to kill the man with her own hands.
         his blood that day didn't seem to wash off for a long time.
         All because he owed them some gambling money and he had
         a family.  Worse yet he had two children.  But it was
         kill or be killed that day.  Now to see this situation
         again brings back memories.]

        [Kiet finds the notion of a duel a bit fascinating.  Since
         his time in the Dark Lands he hasn't seen one yet.  He
         knows they are somewhat rare especially from masters.
         Most apprentices tend to kill themselves off quickly
         here leaving the best for the masters to deal with.
         Then he recalls that if Chion dies this whole mission
         dies and he'll have to stay here with Kwat for one of his
         question and answer friendly sessions.]

        [Raban finds the prospect of a duel rather repulsive.  If
         this society is so civilized and cultured they resort to
         such barbaric acts.  To show who is the better man?
         Idiocy.  Man should get along and treat each other with
         respect.]

        [Unali gives a slight smile knowing that Chion in a duel
         of combat could easily squish Zing.  But she doesn't
         know what Zing is capable of.  She figures Zing must have
         some spell he knows well or defenses Chion doesn't.  Zing
         is either over confident or suicidal.]

        [Z'leyra glances around to see if Corona is nearby as she
         listens to the duel talk.  She notices high on the
         third floor Ki'ama is glancing down from a window in
         the center of the manor house.  She wonders if this was
         planned or by accident?  Like the attack on Fremea?
         But why would Ki'ama try to kill Chion if he is the only
         one to teleport the party?]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Friday...

        GM: Map of Trip on the game site.  Its the last link of the
            page and you can see the route.  Also points of note on
            the map.
              * Red Dot top left is Sven's second home.  Since he is
            friends to the Ipansa the owner of the land allows him
            to live there to visit him.
               * White "castle" top right in the shadow domain is that
            of Noavasa's estate.
               * Yellow "castle" in center of map is the Elder's Citadel.
               * Law Castle - castle symbol left of the word "law" on
            the map is Sven's primary estate location.
               * Cyan/Blue line is the path of party's travel.
               * White dot at end of line is roughly the destination.
               * Yellow line is the path the castle is believed to have
            taken shown by Sven.

            Hope this helps.  If you can't view the map or understand
            it let me know.

        GM: Estimated travel schedule:
             Today 3pm - 6pm - Travel east then camp for night  [Leg 1]
                   7am - 6pm - Travel                           [Leg 2]
                   6am - 6pm - Travel and arrive                [Leg 3]
            Leg 1 - Estimated -  5 miles
            Leg 2 - Estimated - 19 miles
            Leg 3 - Estimated - 18-20 miles

            Only a rough estimate.  Might get to location before
            sunset on second day depending on speed and such.

        GM: You guys can plan for a trip of 2 days.  This will be
            Marqi 31 and Ma 1st.  You can plan some general actions
            and if you want to practice skills you can do so.  May
            wish to hold on spells.  Never know what the future
            stores.  But if you want to cast some then that's
            up to you.  But you never know. :)