[pnpgm] Game Update #29 - File #91 - Investigation Ends

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Mar 12 08:48:51 CET 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
     Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #29 in sequence (file #91)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea, waiting for a response to what was said in the scroll,
          since she doesn't speak the language, will avoid the guards
          as much as possible, find her bag of tricks and squeeze herself
          into a corner of the booth. Making sure she can see all areas
          clearly again.

          (Fremea will make sure that she collects everything, as she
          does not have much anyway, for what ever trip is going to
          happen. She is fairly sure that this group will not stay
          here much longer. Too many enemies and everyone has sat too
          long in one place now.)
        GM: Ack.

                ----------------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          [Raban is a bit upset to see the assassin has not yet been
          punished for his crime, but understands they want to handle
          things their way for now.

          Looking about, he decides it would still be best to gather his
          things while its quiet and goes upstairs. Things could fall
          apart at any point when the guard is involved.

          <So back to original post plan for now. Maybe the other
          future responses are still valid after all?>
        GM: Ack.

                ----------------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will look at the party members and say, "Well, I have
          been to the places where many of you have grown up. Anyone
          fancy a trip to see where I was partly raised?" A short pause
          for him to smile, "It of course will be dangerous, with no
          offer of reward as yet. However, someone who is very dear to
          this world needs our help, as well as a dear friend of mine.
          So I am going. This wand will allow you all to come with me
          if you wish. You all know I posses, well, certain mystical
          arts. In the land we travel to I am but a student." He will
          look at the Alfar and Faerries. "You all would be most
          welcome."

          He will look at Unali to see how much of it she seemed to
          understand and add, "Feel like a trip to the homelands of
          our ancestors?" in Katai.

          He also adds, "Apparently the High Elder likes to use his
          (opal) to watch plays on glass boxes." under his breath in
          Marentian. (opal is right? or is it pearl?)
        GM: Ack.  Opal?  Well that'll solve be revealed.

                ----------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar glares at Jensen.  For an instant, he considers killing
          the man for threatening Tef'wo like that.  He glances
          around at the trembling gaurds, cowering before him like
          frightened children.  Ben'Dar calmly says to Jensen in
          Zen'Dali,

          "Know that your threat will not be soon forgotten."  Then
          Ben'Dar smiles teasingly at the gaurds as he allows himself
          to be herded back inside the tavern.

          Ben'Dar is in good spirits now, having had some good drink
          and a little fun.  In response to the scroll message
          translated by Chion, Ben'dar grins, "This sounds interesting.
          You can count me in!"

          Ben'Dar buys a drink for the soldier who lassoed his pike.
          He compliments the man on his skills.  "Nice trick back there.
          I could use a man of your skills on my ranch.  Talk to me if
          you are ever looking for work."  Ben'Dar will make sure to get
          his pike back.

          Ben'Dar is pretty much already packed, since he typically
          travels pretty light.  He will send a message back to his
          ranch steward to let him know about the information he learned
          about one of the gaurds being of questionable background.  He
          also lets the steward know that he will be gone for some time
          on a journey, and that the steward should run the ranch
          according to the business plan they have discussed during the
          past several months.  Ben'Dar has his gear, his weapons, his
          travel rations/drink, and a small amount of money (less than
          2-3 GP).
        GM: Ack.  What about the guard fire or just have the steward
            watch him? So will take all gear.  Gotcha.

                ----------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will make arrangements with her servants, grab her
          stuff and be ready to go when the time comes to leave.
          (will use private email to Scott to say what she brings).
        GM: Ack. A bit vague but okay. :)

                ----------------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn continued to sit patiently, both amused and exasperated
          by the actions of those in the tavern. When moments later
          Chion unfurled the message and its magical contents spilled
          forth the alfar listened and watched, intrigued by the use of
          magical message. It seemed that whatever was being shared was
          important enough that the 'writer' did not wish for any mistake
          in interpretation.

          When Chion delivered the message to the others Arawn smiled.
          He was looking forward to explore all this world had to offer
          and the opportunity for a lengthy expedition and the chance
          for great adventure intrigued him highly. Besides that, he
          was still on the trail of the mysterious grey-creatures and
          the lands to the far east seemed to be at least one place that
          hid news of this mysterious race.

          "I will gladly go if you will have me, Chion. Though I may
          take a short time to gather some items if we have time."

          If nothing complicated happens while at the tavern then
          afterwards Arawn will inform the others that he wishes to
          have some gems set and will quietly talk to Z'leyra in regards
          to enhancing the stones that require such and that he feels
          might be too valuable to risk a failure enhancing himself (I'll
          send an email out later to Z'leyra and to detail things but
          thought it might be good to post something before we suddenly
          find ourselves miles from the nearest city). Beyond trying to
          set the items in stone Arawn is pretty much set to go and will
          take everything.
        GM: Ack.  Take everything eh? :)  Get me details on those
            Gems and such.

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Sivas, Marentia, Green Eye Tavern.
         [Time: 8:24am]

         [Moments before the scroll illusion is heard...]

         [Ben'dar continues to threaten Jensen and the troops in
          Zen'dali.]

         Ben'dar: "Know that your threat will not be soon forgotten."

         [Ben'dar heads inside escorted by Jensen and the guards.]

                        ----------------------

         [Time: 8:26am]

         [Elam and Jensen continue to talk as Chion listens to
          the message scroll.]

         [Chion contemplates the scroll and hidden meanings.
          Danger to his homeland?  A land full of the most capable
          wizards around?  What could he be needed for that others
          can't perform?  Chion turns to the party.]

         Chion: "Well, I have been to the places where many of you
           have grown up. Anyone fancy a trip to see where I was
           partly raised?" [A short pause for him to smile,] "It of
           course will be dangerous, with no offer of reward as yet.
           However, someone who is very dear to this world needs our
           help, as well as a dear friend of mine. So I am going. This
           wand will allow you all to come with me if you wish. You all
           know I posses, well, certain mystical arts. In the land we
           travel to I am but a student."

           [He will look at the Alfar and Fearries.] "You all would be
           most welcome."

           [He will look at Unali to see how much of it she seemed to
            understand and add, ]"Feel like a trip to the homelands of
            our ancestors?" [in Katai.]

           [He also adds,] "Apparently the High Elder likes to use his
            (opal) to watch plays on glass boxes." [under his breath in
            Marentian.]

         [Ben'dar perks up hearing Chion's words.  Dangerous?  Sounds
          like fun.  Ben'dar tries to recall where Chion is from.
          He must've mentioned it once or twice in the past?  Ben'dar
          grins and turns to Chion.]

         Ben'dar: "This sounds interesting. You can count me in!"

         [Arawn sits watching the events with hands folded on each
          other.  When the scroll is "seen" he knows the magic
          is powerful yet in his world commonplace.  Some gods have
          the ability to be in two places at once and deliver messages
          so messengers are rare in the upper world.  Here they depend
          on papers for message.  Such a primitive world.  He listens
          to Chion's explanation and tries to recall where Chion is
          from.  He knows Chion speaks Katai so must be from there.
          From the days staying here Arawn has learned its one of
          the largest empires in the middle world with well over
          a million people or more in its lands.  He has heard the
          culture is a great one on the brink of major disaster due
          to its growth, population and internal political struggles
          but also on the brink of great discovery with inventions
          and great areas of learning.  Another interesting aspect
          of human culture a dichotomy of disaster and greatness
          that is ever linked together.  It seems one can't exist
          without the other.   Elves long ago seemed to have
          broken that barrier to grew as a race.  The Faerry
          and Dwarves are still catching up.]

         Arawn: "I will gladly go if you will have me, Chion. Though I
           may take a short time to gather some items if we have time."

         1Unali listens and understands the scroll well.  Inwardly
          she is disappointed not to go to Katai proper but she
          has heard who the High Elder is.  Everyone in the Katai
          realm has heard stories mostly bad slurs by the government.
          It may not be Katai but maybe he knows some clues that
          can help their search later in Katai.  She wonders if
          she should journey as her family has always said the
          lands north of Katai were dangerous and cursed.  What
          would they think or say or do?]

         [Kaylle standing near Chion hears Chion.  He understands
          bits and pieces of the language but not enough to fill
          in most of the blanks.  He scratches his chin as he
          hears Chion explains the scroll message.  When Chion
          mentions the High Elder he perks up and stands tall as
          tall as he can get.]

         Kaylle: "The High Elder? As in THE High Elder? I'm impressed.
           You know ..or rather HE knows you personally?" [An expression
           of disbelief shows on Kaylle's face.  Chion smirks amused
           by the comment.] "Being in a library you learn things and
           I've learned the High Elder is the most powerful wizard
           around!  At least that we know of.  If HE wants help from
           you then he must be in trouble." [He quickly realizes
           his offense and tries to cover up.] "I mean if he himself
           can't handle it and must call in qualified help he must
           be in trouble.  The Dark Lands is a power house of wizards.
           I believe theres like a dozen or so powerful wizards there
           and they treat it as a Wizard's Realm.  Non magic users
           are property or abused." [Chion recalls his days in the
           Lands.  It is true its a Wizard's paradise.  But a dozen?
           Clearly the information isn't fully out.  There must be
           at least 30 wizards there by now.  Kaylle must have old
           books on the subject.] "I also have heard they have slaves
           and combat is a regular thing.  If you offend other
           wizards they will challenge you.  The Dark Lands are
           a rebel force separated from Katai many years ago.  I
           would love to go and study the lands and its people but
           I can't go due to my new position at the library.  Just
           my luck!"

         [Arawn hears Kaylle speak in Marentian and knows the
          land to be the Dark Lands.  He smirks to himself.  Humans
          have some odd fondness to name things in such complicated
          or simple things.  Dark Lands means what all darkness?
          Can't name an area with flair.  A Wizard's Realm should
          fit him nicely.  It will be interesting to see a part of
          his upper world here on this plane.  He wonders how it
          is dealt with here compared to there.  There the gods
          have ruled so long humans take it for granted.  Here they
          must rule by humans who die.  What does that do to their
          mental souls and physical bodies?  Are they happy and
          contented or sad.  An interesting thing to see and later
          report to his parents.  After all the long held whispers
          in the upper World is that the gods will return here
          to rule as they do in the Upper World.  They are always
          trying to figure out ways to break the agreements
          and come back here in full force.  Course then the world
          was mostly sidh and humans were primitive.  Now the Middle
          World is mostly humans with civilized cultures and powerful
          armies.  Could the gods rule here again?  Would the humans
          allow such to happen.  But Arawn knows the humans are weak
          and the gods are well divine!  Of course in his recent
          time here maybe theres a select few that could hinder the
          Divine Plans of the Gods.]

         [Ben'dar hears Kaylle's words.  A domain where non-magic
          users like himself are lower than dirt.  Course he recalls
          that on his own Plains women are just better than dirt
          but less than men.  So each culture has their own unique
          style.  Of course he might be the only non magical user
          in the group to go.  His bravado might not work so well
          in these "Dark Lands".]

         [Ben'dar turns to the guard by the door who lasoed his pike.
          He waves him over and offers him a drink.  The man walks
          over to the bar.]

         Ben'dar: "Nice trick back there. I could use a man of your
           skills on my ranch.  Talk to me if you are ever looking for
           work."

         [The young guard in his mid 20s and lightly blond brown hair
          and green eyes nods.]

         Guard: "Family's ranch taught me all I needed to know.  After
           15 years I've gotten good.  You have a ranch?  What type?
           We raised sheep near Malnon till the merchants bought us
           out wanting the land...." [He places Ben'dar's pike on
           the side of the bar so Ben'dar can get it.  Never been
           ordered to hold it.] "Your own stunt didn't impress
           Jensen.  He don't take kindly to wackos.  Your lucky to
           be walking in here." [He smiles but shakes his head to
           the bartender] "Sorry on duty can't drink, especially
           while Jensen is here.  Maybe after a bit." [He looks
           toward Jensen.]

         [Fremea gets her bag and finds a corner to slink into and
          cover her ears.  She finds the discussion of the Dark
          Lands interesting.  But its a far away land she can't
          pursue her primary goal.  Maybe her other plans will
          go well.]

                ---------------------------------------

         [Jensen and Elam continue to talk for about five minutes
          as the party talks about the Dark Lands.  Elam seems
          convincing to the party but Jensen seems unmoved.  Jensen
          then moves on to the witnesses in the tavern.  He moves
          to the beggars, civilians, bar staff and finally toward
          the party.  During his questions he asks various things
          and gives comments like the following.]

         Jensen [to Ben'dar] : "The messenger will not press charges
           against your attack.  He seems more interested in
           leaving to get back to his delivery job.  Should be
           careful in the future attacking citizens.  We don't
           take kindly to such assaults.  Your lucky this time."

         [Jensen sees Arawn and his full features including the
          sign of Elf ears but seems unmoved.  After getting
          Arawn's story of the situation he states.]

         Jensen [To Arawn] "It is not common to have Elves in the
           land but may I ask where you are from?  Which nation or
           land?  We try to keep records for our census."

         Jensen [To Chion] "What was so important on the scroll?
           Anything related to this situation?"

         Jensen [To Raban] "The Baron will not press charges but
           may complain to the local Entertainer's Guild.  I
           informed him that this city has none.  So for now
           your in the clear.  I would advise attacking a noble
           in this realm is not at all tolerated.  By rights
           I should arrest you now.  But I understand there were
           circumstances beyond control.  I will have to make
           a note of this for my records so attack another noble
           and you may not be so free in the clear."

         [Jensen seems to ignore Fremea but does ask Z'leyra of
          her take on the situation and what she saw.]

         [Question and Answers by Jensen takes almost two full
          hours before Jensen finally gets to his last witness
          of Whet the tavern owner.  The memory wipe seems to
          take with Whet and the other witnesses and so Jensen
          gets a rough version of what Elam spoke of earlier.]

         [Jensen finally gathers near the party.]

         Jensen: "All right.  We've started the search for the
           man and ended the cordon of the area an hour ago.  Too
           many merchants complained.  Everyone is free to go.
           You " [He looks at Elam] "will have to come with us.
           We will need to follow up on your story. Our wizard
           can't locate him by the dart.  But we are looking
           for him.  For the rest of you it seems you were just
           in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I hope this
           does not turn you off to what Sivas and Marentia can
           do for you.  We are a safe land.  For the trouble of
           the past two hours the city will pay for the next round
           of drinks.  Enjoy yourselves."

         [With that Jensen heads to the door waving for Elam to
          join him.  As Jensen leaves the guards follow suit.
          Outside Jensen speaks to a guard.]

         Jensen: "You sure he wasn't upstairs?"

         Guard: "We searched well.  We only found that tall big
           brute and the one with the scarred hand."

         [Jensen looks around the street and around the various
          nearby buildings.  He sighs and then mounts his horse.
          He and all but 2 guards head out and back the way
          they came.  One of the 2 guards left heads east to
          a post he was at.  The last one watches Jensen leave
          and re-enters the bar for his free drink from Ben'dar.]

         [All the while from a nearby rooftop Micah has been
          listening to the situation with his magical listening
          devices he planted while no lone saw or detected it
          seems.  Over an hour earlier his man was able to
          distract and replace the dart with another one that
          will lead to no one.  The actual dart will be destroyed.
          When Jensen leaves both Micah and the other man head
          down stairs to a waiting wagon coach.  They ride
          back to the tavern and park outside.  Micah re-enters
          the tavern and notices one lone guard remains near
          Ben'dar but the guard doesn't seem to care.  Micah
          nods to Z'leyra and smiles at Unali as he heads upstairs.
          In the second floor hallway he considers where the
          Assassin must be hid.  He studies the doors and notice
          light from one door and heads there.  He knocks and
          Cholan opens the door.]

         Micah: "Where is he?"
          .
         [Cholan sticks his head out and looks up and down the
          hallway.]

         Micah: "Jensen and the others are gone."

         [Cholan opens the door and lets him in further and
          leads to the secret alcove by the wine storage area.
          Kel is still knocked out and looks to have a new
          bruise on his head from where Cholan probably knocked
          him out again.]

         Micah: "Thank the others.  We'll be in touch."

         [With that he pulls out a amulet and grabs Kel by the
          arm.  He taps the amulet with three fingers twice and
          both micah and Kel disappear in a blue hue.  Both
          appear again outside in the darkened coach.  Micah
          taps the side and the coach starts off down the street.]

         [Inside Cholan shakes his head.  This spy business must
          be fun.  Suresh didn't seem to have such nice toys.
          Cholan closes the alcove and heads back down stairs
          to inform the party that Kel is gone with Micah.]

         [Minutes after Jensen leaves the Baron, Messenger and
          other civilians quickly leave.  Leaving only the party
          alone in the tavern.]

         [Time: 10:43am]

         [Raban stands at the bar and finalizes his bar bill with
          Whet.  His bags to his side he watches Ben'dar talk to
          the guard and wonders what the party will do next.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Friday...

        GM: Well was hoping folks would post last week on their
            gear selections and possible discussions on the trip.
            But I guess that didn't come about.  Oh well.  Why
            I wanted to end the update on the scroll contents so
            it could be done.  As they say best plans...

        GM: Cruise went well.  Was fun.  Tiresome but fun.  I'm sure
            we can all plan on a P&P chartered cruise some year.
            But first you guys gotta get me the winning Lotto Numbers
            so I can book the cruise!

        GM: Looks like Chion didn't say he fully translated the
            scroll.  Unali could still.  But a general jist of what
            was said can be obtained from Chion's comments.  For
            equipment again I just need to know what your taking
            with you.  If your gear is all going then that's fine.
            If the part of the gear that is the most going or staying
            let me know.  i.e. if you have 10 items and 8 are going
            you can just list the 2 not going and save time.  If
            you take all then that's easy just say that.  :)

        GM: I will assume all Q&A with Jensen is handled as Elam wanted.
            If you intend to change the story or add to it or remove
            parts let me know.  Otherwise I will assume you give
            full details and answer any and all questions truthfully.
            Let me know otherwise.  I went and just moved the
            investigation to the end so we can move on.

        GM: Katai Coins - If your taking money let me know if you wish
            to convert any money to Katai denominations.  Moneylenders
            might charge a small fee for it.

        GM: Arawn - See Recap section for your section.  Just for
              my info will you cover your face again the Dark Lands?
              Might offend some there too.

            Ben'dar - See recap section as well.

            Chion - Do you translate the scroll or keep as above?
              If not the Elder mentioned bringing others.  Want
              to warn the party about the Lands or give any
              comments on it?

            Unali - Same for you on translations?

        GM: The wand will handle any transmutations so mana doesn't
            have to be used.  So this will help for future
            things. The party is expected to be over a thousand
            miles away by 5pm today.  The scroll was obviously
            delayed by its trip and got here 2 weeks later than
            planned.  Its 10:30 now so the party has roughly
            6.5 hours to plan and do things.  Chion could be
            persuaded to teleport folks to Maren city if needed.
            The plan is to teleport first to Caladan's village
            on the plains as a halfway point then continue up
            to the Dark Lands where Chion knows where to teleport
            by their closed in teleport circle.  They restrict
            teleports anywhere else in the castle grounds except
            for this teleport circle.  It'll be open from 5-6pm
            today.  Its short notice but things can be done.
            If the window is missed the teleport circle might
            be blocked and teleporting in the area is fine but
            missing an appointment by the High Elder might be
            a bit rude for Chion. :)  It was also said that
            nice clothing might be needed but it hasn't been
            informed to the party yet.

        GM: Once I determine gear stuff we can teleport and move
            the party on.  Due to this delayed update Friday
            might be a short update as well.