[pnpgm] Game Update #50a - File #208 - Party continues east

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Jun 17 05:04:20 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #50a in sequence (file #208)

     Admin notes: Part 1 of 2.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will convert the silver to gold and sell the horse, gear,
          etc. to anyone willing to buy it. If he saw the young lady (if
          she was with Zing earlier as well) rush away upset, he will
          attempt to find her and give her all the money from Zing. He
          will try to explain, "Zing was a friend. He had bad luck. And
          I am sorry that he died. I have a lot to learn about preserving
          life. And that is why I travel with the group I do now. Please
          accept this, as I am sure he would have wanted you to have it."
          If possible, he will ask her name and if she knows why he went
          to see the High Elder.

          As far as XP goes - Forest survival is fine. Riding is fine. If
          Raban wants to show Chion how to make a rope, he will show his
          interest, "A good rope is like a good sailor. It can help you
          hold your britches up and keep your ship from sinking too,
          sometimes at the same time!" With a smile, and seeing what
          Raban's take on his "insanity talk" is for the first time.

          Giants;
          Chion will wonder out loud, "Given our previous experience,
          should we perhaps attempt to communicate or subdue rather than
          slay these tallfolk? After all, we are in their domain, and
          not vice versa." Smiling at the serendipitous nature of having
          the chance at two challenges on his first week home. No wonder
          he doesn't visit as often. "Also, couldn't killing them lead to
          a challenge if they are someone's pets?" In the magical language
          he learned he will say "Halt!" to the Giants in a loud voice
          (if he knows the word).
        GM: Ack.

                -------------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar looks at the giant and growls back.  He couches his
          pike like a lance and prepares to charge, but he will wait to
          see what the giant does.  He remembers that he is in a strange,
          foreign land and he will not initiate hostilities unprovoked.

          If the giants attack, Ben'Dar will charge the closest giant,
          trying to hit with his pike at full speed.  He'll continue
          fighting with his pike until the giants are dead or they run
          away.  He'll not pursue in the latter case.
        GM: Ack.

                -------------------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          Raban smiles and thanks Sven himself. "Sven, I must thank you
          for loaning me a horse of such quality. I am quite used to
          walking and I have never needed to go quickly for any length of
          time, as my services are needed most everywhere I travel. But
          this is not a time for relaxed travel and I must do what I can
          to not slow the others down." Turning to Ben'Dar, "Thank you,
          Ben'Dar, I am sure you and Sven will keep me from making too
          many mistakes."

          [Days later, when news of the giants is given] Raban dismounts
          the horse and says, "I can handle a forest giant without killing
          it if that is what you want. Fighting me would keep it away from
          the others, but if the second one joins in, I could have trouble
          handling both of them. Of course, softening them up a little
          first will help a lot."

          [If there is time, Raban readies his bow (may need to string
          it?) for a few shots before he charges the Giant.]

          <Skill use. With Bow maximum offense. With Hand to Hand 2/3rds
          offense, Raban will try to avoid their worst hits.> <What a time
          to notice you forgot to get a shield to go with the skill!

          It could have stopped one hit. Oh well, it does not fit with Hand
          to Hand anyway.>

          <Now the fun part, giant swinging big club likely gets to hit
          first in PnP melee. If there are rules for close fighting that
          will help Raban, please switch to them. He can potentially out
          wrestle a giant.>
        GM: Ack.

                -------------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra readies her sling as she watches the giant approaching.
          Upon determining that it is a Kotothi giant and looking like it
          will attack she slings several stones to damage the giant. If
          it gets to melee range she will drop the sling and ready her
          greatsword.
        GM: Ack.

                -------------------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Combat with the Giants-

          As soon as he hears the sound of potential danger Arawn's
          immediate action is to use his ability to hide in the forest,
          the better to prepare any follow up actions. Upon hearing about
          the giants he will cast Repel Evil on himself but will remain
          hidden. If the giants show up before he can cast then he will
          remain hidden and channel mana for a spell if one is needed
          later. For now he will allow Chion to attempt communication
          and see how things unfold.

          As he steps into the foliage he whispers to Fremea, "You may
          wish to move into hiding as well."

          - If combat is inevitable Arawn will cast Create Warrior (if
          the shadows are strong enough), remaining in hiding while
          creating 4 warriors at EL 4 to serve as the first line of
          offense/defense. If the shadows aren't strong enough then
          he'll keep his distance and cast Dispersion on the nearest
          one at max EL .

          OOC: Scott, unless the rules have changed Forest Giants are
          listed as being able to speak Kotothi so they should be able
          to understand Chion.
        GM: Ack.  He doesn't know Elder or Kotothi.

        From Arawn: [Re: More Actions]
          When Arawn realizes that Zing is dead he will take some time
          to pay his respect to any family or friends that Zing has and
          would like to say a prayer by the body, quietly to himself if
          permission is not granted to do so aloud. Arawn feels pity for
          the man and a sadness that things turned out as they did. He had
          his suspicions that there was more going on than a mere rivalry
          from the past but he did not feel it would be right to question
          the spirit of the man without evidence, no matter what his
          intuition said or how strongly he felt the urge to do so. Until
          then he would limit his prayer for peace for the man's soul and
          a safe and speedy journey for Zing's immortal soul on the cycle
          of life.

          During this time he will speak to any present as to the life
          and personality of the man and why he would so strongly feel the
          need to challenge Chion.
          As the group made final preparations for their journey he
          pondered the cryptic prophecy regarding the dark cloud. He had
          gathered a few supplies in hopes of protecting himself and others
          from what he feared might lie within the castle walls. Upon
          seeing Zhou and Kee scratching at themselves he dismounted to
          take a closer look at the rash. (His primary Healing skill is
          for alfar/elves but he can still identify and treat humans. What
          can he tell by examination?)

          "You both acquired this rash recently? When did it first appear
          and were either of you in contact with the same object or place
          prior to its appearance?"

          If they can think of a common source then Arawn will ask to be
          taken to it and will very carefully examine it, doing his best
          to avoid infection (this also applies to his initial inspection
          of the two).

          At some point, when Kee and Zhou are out of earshot he will
          speak to the party.

          "This sudden rash concerns me. It could just be a coincidence
          or perhaps another 'trick' placed by whomever has chosen to
          target us since our arrival but I worry that it may be something
          more disturbing. In Xa Ming's prophecy he spoke of the days
          before the second Great Plague, of a dark cloud and a tainted
          and cursed one. I've been thinking about this and wondering if
          the plague starts with this dark cloud, the floating castle. If
          so this may be the beginning of the blight mentioned, and I
          wonder if the curse and taint spoken of is manifested as a
          disease of epic proportions. I don't seek to breed fear but if
          this is true we might not only be seeing the beginning of the
          great plague but, I fear, that if we are not very careful in
          the actions we take in the castle, we may be responsible,
          inadvertantly, for bringing the plague to the world by releasing
          something trapped for centuries within the castle walls."
          When Arawn notices the guard sharing news of the babies birth he
          will, if nearby, offer a blessing for the child if the father
          accepts.
          On the way out of town Arawn will swing by the remaining 3
          wagons to investigate their wares and possibly listen to rumours
          or gossip spoken around them as well as inquire with the owners
          as to recent events outside of the Elder's domain, if they are
          not local.
          The night before leaving Arawn will inquire with the Elder's
          major domo in regards to the grey creatures and the rumour of a
          mountain where the crab armored body mentioned by Kaylle was
          found. If they don't have info right now then it gives them time
          to do some research before the group returns. He will also show
          the picture of the mountain he saw in a vision and will use the
          elvish empathic ability to 'read' people in case someone might
          be holding something back.
          During the trip through the woods Arawn will keep an eye out for
          Dirasa and, at night, invite Fremea to stay in his tent and make
          sure to seal the entrance tight with cord just in case. He will
          also accompany be on the lookout for interesting and useful
          plants and other natural items as they journey (at a casual pace
          so as to not upset his Smuggler training).

          OOC: Fremea, I'll send a separate post to cover the topic of
          learning about the Sidh, spells, and performing divinations for
          you on the second night out.
        GM: Ack. As to Grey creatures.  The Elder mentioned in a talk
            that'd he'd covered the Claw and maybe those questions
            later. :)

        [Marqi 30th, 1633TH. 2nd Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: High Elder's Domain, Dark Lands, North-East
           corner of continent, center of Dark Lands.]

        [Time: 12:53pm]

        [After Zing's body is taken to a spot by the lake for future
         burial the crowd disperses.  Arawn returns to the gate
         and leaves to find the body with help from a guard and
         servant.  Arawn finds the body in a simple white blanket
         on a table in a wooden shed of all places.  Arawn finds
         it sad to end up here in this dank and dark place.  Clearly
         a sign of Zing's status.  A noble would likely find himself
         in the temple in nice surroundings.  The shed is quiet and
         Arawn enters to offer him a quick prayer of peace for his
         soul.  After a few minutes Arawn exits and hears two men
         likely grave diggers talking about Zing.  Arawn overhears
         that some in the crowd thought Chion was going to do more
         to Zing even after death.  Arawn recalls that Chion had
         his bone shamanic focus still on him and knows he could've
         probably destroyed Zing's soul.  The men talk about the
         Referee seemingly stopping that action through a quiet
         and heated discussion.  Arawn finds pity for Zing but
         is glad his soul remains to be ascended.  Arawn walks back
         to the citadel in quiet contemplation.]

        [Arawn sees not even one person to mourn the dead.  Arawn asks
         Zhou about Zing's family but gets the reply that he had none
         that they knew of at this time.  Arawn tries to mingle with
         the few people still left to talk about Zing but most seem to
         be laughing or judging Zing as a pitiful wizard.  Arawn finds
         most don't seem to care about Zing in terms of why he did it
         just that he did it.]

        [Time: 1:20pm]

        [After Sven gives Raban his horse.]

        [Raban smiles and nods back to Sven.]

        Raban: "Sven, I must thank you for loaning me a horse of such
          quality. I am quite used to walking and I have never needed to
          go quickly for any length of time, as my services are needed
          most everywhere I travel. But this is not a time for relaxed
          travel and I must do what I can to not slow the others down."

          [Turning to Ben'Dar,] "Thank you, Ben'Dar, I am sure you and
          Sven will keep me from making too many mistakes."

        Sven: "No problem.  We couldn't use the horse and it isn't a good
          combat horse.  We'd have just sold it to a farm or something."

        [Time: 1:50pm]

        [Chion decides to sell the horse Zing owned after Ben'dar checks
         it out to improve the selling.  A noble quickly buys it up for
         a standard price.  Chion sells Zing's things in the General Store
         in the Citadel quickly and gathers up his coins.  He then asks
         for the Moneylender to open his shop to convert the coins.  For
         a small fee the Moneylender converts the silver to gold Katai
         coins. Chion counts his winnings and smiles, 37 gold and change.
         Not a bad day's haul for a quick duel.  Of course its not
         a sprawling estate and miles of land.]

        [Chion asks again if there are any relatives to Zing to give
         the money to.  But Zhou knows of no one.  He'll check to
         be sure and let Chion know when they return.  Only Raban knows
         of the female he saw in the crowd.]

        [Time: 1:53pm]

        [Arawn notices Zhou and Kee scratching their hands, arms
         and chest.  Arawn finds it odd and speaks up.]

        Arawn: "You both acquired this rash recently? When did it first
          appear and were either of you in contact with the same object
          or place prior to its appearance?"

        [Arawn inspects the two men and sees there is no rash on their
         hands or other areas.  It just seems to be itchy.  Arawn finds
         it odd but they seem to be thinking its itchy.  Arawn doesn't
         touch them but considers his options when they interrupt his
         thoughts.]

        Zhou: "No place that I can think." [Kee shakes his head.] "It
          just started recently.  Excuse us we're off to the healer
          to get some help."

        [Before Arawn can speak up and help them with his Healer skill
         the men rush off eager to see the Healer.  Arawn figures
         they didn't know he could help them or prefer the Citadel's
         own healer to Arawn?]

        GM: I had already completed this scene in previous update.
            Since this action was late the healing couldn't be done
            sorry.  They prefer to rush off to their healer.

        [Both rush off to get help from the Citadel Healer.  Arawn
         turns and looks at the party.  Some seem to be smirking
         and others seem to be dead serious at the sight of the
         two men scratching.]

        Arawn: "This sudden rash concerns me. It could just be a coincidence
          or perhaps another 'trick' placed by whomever has chosen to
          target us since our arrival but I worry that it may be something
          more disturbing. In Xa Ming's prophecy he spoke of the days
          before the second Great Plague, of a dark cloud and a tainted
          and cursed one. I've been thinking about this and wondering if
          the plague starts with this dark cloud, the floating castle. If
          so this may be the beginning of the blight mentioned, and I
          wonder if the curse and taint spoken of is manifested as a
          disease of epic proportions. I don't seek to breed fear but if
          this is true we might not only be seeing the beginning of the
          great plague but, I fear, that if we are not very careful in
          the actions we take in the castle, we may be responsible,
          inadvertently, for bringing the plague to the world by releasing
          something trapped for centuries within the castle walls."

        Caladan: "...or it could just be poison Ivy..." [He smiles.]

        [Soon near the gate the happy new father makes his announcement
         of his new baby.  Arawn offers a general blessing but the
         father explains the baby is a bit far away.   He accepts the
         blessing even though it can't be placed on the baby due to time
         and location.]

        [Later outside the gate Arawn tries to slip near the 3 wagons
         that remain and listen to rumors.  But he only finds tired
         nobles and servants who served as host the wedding with  supplies
         from food and furniture.  nothing interesting is learned.]

        [Marqi 31st, 1633TH. 3rd Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Balance Domain camp

        [Time: Mid-morning]

        [The party notices Fremea lands on Chion's horse and whispers
         to him for several lengthy minutes in a private conversation.
         At one point she lifts up and in front of the horse and grins.
         With Chion smirking back.  Later on she returns and they
         finish more chatting.]

        [Time: Mid-Evening]

        [For the past day Kiet has felt a bit alone in a party of 10.
         No one has yet seemed to talk to him much less care to get
         to know him.  Sure there has been chit-chat but he finds it
         nerve racking.  Being an entertainer he is very out going
         and this party seems to be introverted it seems.  But tonight
         he notices the large dueler Chion approach.  Chion notices
         Kiet has finalized the rope strands minutes before and is
         actually starting to make the final rope out of the rope
         strand's raw materials.]

        Chion: "A good rope is like a good sailor. It can help you hold
          your britches up and keep your ship from sinking too, sometimes
          at the same time!"

        [Kiet notices Chion seems genuinely interested in rope making.
         Might be that Chion has some sailor background training and
         the life of a sailor is a good rope.]

        Next update...Next email...

        GM: Skill Practice - Skill points earned and allocated.  All are
            partial except for Scimitar +1 EL for Unali. All points
            allocated for those who stated skills to practice on.

        GM: Website link update - People of Adventure link.  I've added
            7 people to the list that the party has encountered or
            heard about.  As a reference.  Bottom of the website.

        GM: This is part 1 of 2.  For ease of reading since its over
            400 lines easier to separate.  Keep in mind the above
            time and date stamps to figure out when events take place.