[pnpgm] Game Update #48 - File #195 - Chion Duels Zing

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Jun 6 07:40:50 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  -- J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #48 in sequence (file #195)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar regards the Alfar thoughtfully, wondering about his
          words. Bigger things in the world than one's honor?  It is a
          strange concept for the Z'enda barbarian to accept.  "Zing's
          pain and dishonor must be dealt with.  He has chosen to
          extinguish it either through redemption or death.  Is there a
          third alternative?  If so, I do not see it."
        GM: Ack.

                -----------------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          (Not sure if this was said to Arawn but I'm guessing it was
          and i'll assume it was before he left or after the fight.)

          "A third alternative?," the alfar said, "Yes, healing. All
          things exist for a reason and that includes pain, evil.  Like a
          weed, one can hack at it all day and it will inevitably grow
          back unless one is patient and willing to dig deep to get to
          the root. Pain is a weed, we can hack at it for an eternity and
          it will always find a way to come back unless we are patient and
          strong enough to get to the root of the problem. Only then will
          there be a chance to remove evil and suffering from the world
          once and for all, or at the least go a long way towards
          minimizing its impact."

          Arawn's face was soft as he spoke, his voice quiet and humble.
          "I pity Zing. I cannot speak in defense of his character, I've
          only just met the man, but I have to wonder what things were
          set in motion to place him and Chion where they are right now.
          The same can be said for Chion, perhaps without the influence
          of gentle Correl he might have walked a darker path. Still, no
          matter the outcome of this fight there will be repurcussions.
          If Chion dies then there will be pain on the part of his friends
          and family. If Zing dies, the same, with the possible added
          problem of any that might seek revenge, thus starting another
          evil cycle of revenge in this tormented world.

          Don't get me wrong my friend, honor is important, especially
          integrity but, in my opinion, there are some things greater
          still. Like love, kindness, compassion- Good- and sometimes one
          must fight for the greater cause. Tell me Bendar, if you had to
          choose between keeping your honor intact or saving the lives of
          innocents and loved ones, to do what is good, and only able to
          pick one, which would you choose and why?"

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar's listens to Arawn's eloquent words, a blank look
          stealing onto his face at the weed metaphor.  Then at the
          question, Ben'Dar's brow furrows in thought.  "All are either
          owned or maintain their freedom through strength of arms.  I do
          not understand your question. I cannot imagine a situation where
          I must choose between doing what is right and keeping my honor
          intact.  They are the same thing."

          OOC:  Don't worry - eventually Arawn will get through Ben'Dar's
          thick barbarian skull!

          OOC:  This barbarian's a stubborn one, eh?
        GM:  Ack.

        [Marqi 30th, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: High Elder's Domain, Dark Lands, North-East
           corner of continent, center of Dark Lands.]

        GM: The following conversation between Arawn and Ben'dar
            happens before, during and maybe after the duel.
            It went privately in email for some time but started
            publicly (above in recap section).  I will try to
            post it in a coherent manner as best I can.  Anyone
            can reply or interact if you listen in. May have to
            see the last update before this one to see where
            Arawn started off in disgust of the barbaric fight.
            I will add some introspection's and leave what the
            players do as well.  Maybe you can tell what is mine
            and what is theirs. :)  If its in the middle of the
            duel it can be finished after the duel once Arawn
            returns inside the citadel grounds.  It won't matter
            in the overall scheme of things.  But tied it all
            together in one speech segment.

                        ----------------------------

        *
        [Ben'Dar regards the Alfar thoughtfully, wondering about his words.
         Bigger things in the world than one's honor?  It is a strange
         concept for the Z'enda barbarian to accept.]

        Ben'dar: "Zing's pain and dishonor must be dealt with.  He has
          chosen to extinguish it either through redemption or death.  Is
          there a third alternative? If so, I do not see it."

        Arawn: "A third alternative?," [the Alfar said,] "Yes, healing.
          All things exist for a reason and that includes pain, evil.
          Like a weed, one can hack at it all day and it will inevitably
          grow back unless one is patient and willing to dig deep to get
          to the root. Pain is a weed, we can hack at it for an eternity
          and it will always find a way to come back unless we are patient
          and strong enough to get to the root of the problem. Only then
          will there be a chance to remove evil and suffering from the
          world once and for all, or at the least go a long way towards
          minimizing its impact."

        [Arawn's face was soft as he spoke, his voice quiet and humble.]

        Arawn: "I pity Zing. I cannot speak in defense of his character,
          I've only just met the man, but I have to wonder what things
          were set in motion to place him and Chion where they are right
          now.  The same can be said for Chion, perhaps without the
          influence of gentle Correl he might have walked a darker path.
          Still, no matter the outcome of this fight there will be
          repercussions.  If Chion dies then there will be pain on the
          part of his friends and family. If Zing dies, the same, with
          the possible added problem of any that might seek revenge, thus
          starting another evil cycle of revenge in this tormented world.

          Don't get me wrong my friend, honor is important, especially
          integrity. But, in my opinion, there are some things greater
          still. Like love, kindness, compassion- Good- and sometimes one
          must fight for the greater cause. Tell me Ben'dar, if you had to
          choose between keeping your honor intact or saving the lives of
          innocents and loved ones, to do what is good, and only able to
          pick one, which would you choose and why?"

        [Ben'dar listens to the well educated and civilized Alfar with
         open ears but wonders if all Elves are like this?  Jordi was
         eager to help others and all for diplomacy.  the good in all
         to come together in friendship.  But at least Jordi knew when
         to fight this Elf seems to be too high to stoop low enough
         to fight for honor.  Ben'dar hopes this isn't like all Elves.]

        [Ben'Dar's listens to Arawn's eloquent words, a blank look stealing
         onto his face at the weed metaphor.  Then at the question,
         Ben'Dar's brow furrows in thought.]

        Ben'dar: "All are either owned or maintain their freedom through
          strength of arms.  I do not understand your question. I cannot
          imagine a situation where I must choose between doing what is
          right and keeping my honor intact.  They are the same thing."

        [Ben'dar shakes his head slightly and wonders if Arawn will
         ever understand how honor is.  Nobles have honor in terms
         of money if one is insulted in some silly business practice
         they are honor bound to fight back.  The Zen'da, Ben'dar
         believes, have the true way of honor.  It is a more world
         view of morals and judgements.  A long tradition of customs
         that all understand and few break to dishonor someone else.
         Arawn's view seems to be godly where honor is what the god
         defines at that time and place.  If a god kills a dragon
         and a entire city in the process he claims it honorable
         in that he did kill the evil dragon but at the cost of
         the city.  Ben'dar figures Arawn has a lot to learn about
         middle world humanly honor.  Both will have to teach other
         their own views of peace and honor.]

        [Arawn laughed politely as he listened to the barbarian, a smile
         lingering on his face as he replied.]

        Arawn: "My good friend, let me reword this then. Imagine, if you
          will, that someone has done something to earn a promise from you,
          perhaps they saved your life or some other thing that would
          behold you to them. In return they ask that you will not attempt
          to hinder or harm them in the future and you give your word to
          let them be. Now imagine that someday you find this same person
          hurting or killing innocent men, women, and children, perhaps
          even with your own friends and family among those suffering by
          this man's actions. In this situation, you have given your word
          to let him be and to never attempt to hinder or harm him but
          innocent people, including those you care for, are being killed.
          In that moment, with no other options, which action would you
          choose, to let the man kill them all or to break your word and
          fight to save the innocent, and why?"

        [Ben'dar looks away and down as if in deep thought.  Something
         in his past comes to mind as he flashes to memories and past
         events.  He looks back up in a quick second to reply and
         not draw attention to his own thoughts.  He recalls other
         memories when the village shaman would ask these type of
         confusing and boring questions on morals.  Help the wolf capture
         the weak deer or kill the strong wolf killing the deer? Boring!
         Ben'dar rather hear about war and combat.]

        [Ben'Dar's eyes flash and his ruddy face darkens.]

        Ben'dar: "I would never make such a promise to a dishonorable man
          like that!  If he did harm to my family, he would die painfully!"
          [Ben'Dar's pike quivers dangerously as his grip on the handle
          intensifies.  He takes several breaths to steady himself.  He
          looks seriously at the Elf.] "There is no third alternative.
          Men must live by honor or die trying."

        [Arawn remained calm as he continues.]

        Arawn: "I believe you, if you knew that the man was dishonorable.
          But what if he appeared to be honorable at the time of your
          promise? Or, perhaps, he turned to a darker path later on in
          life, after you met him? These ideas should not be foreign to
          you, the Zen'da may be an honorable people but you are wise
          enough to know that some people lie and play tricks, while
          others change who they are over time. If this man did not seem
          dishonorable at the time of your promise, or turned to a darker
          path later on, and you have already given your word then what
          do you do when innocents and loved ones are being hurt? Relax
          yourself Ben'dar and think on this. Take your time if need be."

        [Arawn now realizes that Ben'dar may need some work. A pet project
         of sorts.  Chion is set in his ways.  Fremea needs work too
         to help her redeem her past and family.  Raban seems happy
         and content.  Arawn considers helping Unali in her belligerent
         ways but knows she'd be a hard case.  Ben'dar is more pliable
         being so uncultured.  Z'leyra is well balanced Arawn figures.
         How to get through this stubborn barbarian?  A being of opposite
         personality.  One minute going to battle and dripping with blood.
         The next the simple and gentle horse trainer.  Arawn has seen
         gods like that.  One hand they are cold and calculating ready
         to kill entire civilizations at the wave of a hand with no
         thought.  On the other hand they can cater to those who worship
         them and care for them like a parent.  Arawn also found those
         gods a bit odd as well.  Maybe this is Arawn's path in life to
         learn and teach but above all to learn the proper path?]

        [Ben'Dar thinks back to Cetric.  The man started off dishonorable
         but ended up somewhat honorable.  A man who was only doing what
         he felt right for his people and nation at any cost.]

        Ben'dar: "I suppose it is possible." [he says grudgingly, doubt
          still lingering in his dark eyes.]

        [Arawn stood by patiently, turning his close attention to his
         surroundings so as not to pressure Ben'dar. Out of the corner of
         his eye he could tell the barbarian was musing over something and
         the alfar wondered what. Before long Ben'dar replied, doubt still
         apparent but Arawn could tell he was thinking over what was being
         said.  Arawn sees a spark of hope.]

        Arawn: "And if it is possible, isn't it possible that you might
          have made such a promise to such a man, no matter how unlikely?
          And, if so, and you then ended up in the predicament mentioned
          earlier, what difficult decision would you make, what path would
          you choose?"

        Ben'dar: "I would choose your path of healing...by killing the man
          painfully," [Ben'Dar growls.]  "First for deceiving me, second
          for inflicting harm on my family."  [Ben'Dar tries to look
          serious, but he realizes the inadvertent humor in his answer
          and his stoic face splits into a huge grin.]

        Arawn: "Nice one," [Arawn laughs, a grin on his face.] "In that
          particular scenario there was not the option of healing but I
          think you understand what I was getting at, that sometimes one
          has to make sacrifices for the greater good. Whether that
          sacrifice be one form of honor, your word, or in time and
          patience, such as when the option to heal an evil and restore
          good to the world instead of simply destroying it exists.

          After all, just as a hero can fall to darkness so to can a great
          evil sometimes be redeemed and become a great champion of good,
          doing much more for the world. And in regards to honor, I think,
          in my humble opinion, that there is great honor in doing good
          without glory. To influence others and bring peace to others
          for generations to come, to bring laughter, kindness, and
          happiness to people around the world. What greater honor is
          there than to change a world and, through your actions, make
          it a better place for all and, by showing others how to bring
          the best out in themselves, leave a legacy that carries on
          throughout time, your influence growing as it moves from one
          person to another."

                -------------------------------------

        [Time: 12:46pm]

        GM: I will restart the duel from the initial actions.  This
            way it can be read in its entirety.  At this point I
            still do not know how it'll end.  Zing as a subset
            of my own mind could surprise me.  So you never know.
            This fight is not pre-determined in any ways.  It is
            still of great risk to Chion.  This style of fighting is
            harder to make it fair in phases so will do in story
            and second format (second by second).  For this particular
            situation it seems easier to handle that way (and fairer).
            Should review last update for more duel comments if need be.

        [The crowd forms outside the front gate of the citadel grounds.
         Bets are placed as little as bets of chores to as big as
         gold coins with some of the nobles.  Ben'dar himself places
         a bet on the duel.  Caladan gets final instructions by
         Zhou, Kee and Sven on the rules of the game.]

        [The duel circle is made by chalk in the green grass making
         a 10 foot diameter circle.  Both men know that physical
         contact is allowed but if thrown out of the ring by such
         the person who forced the other out loses a free round of
         attack.  So it is discouraged to touch each other even in cases
         of accidents.  Zing has declared Chion can't use Teleport
         which is fine by Chion.  As both men are inspected and magical
         items are removed, Caladan watches to ensure both are not
         holding secret items.  It would be unwise to use magical
         items to give one man the advantage in this situation.  This
         is a simple duel of skill in magic and nothing else.  Which
         man is the most clever? Who can outlast the other?  Such duels
         are common place in the Dark Lands and almost always lead to
         death.  It can be decided to not fight to the death but Zing
         wanted death.  In those cases the loser will become a slave
         or property of the other.  It is not unheard of to hold a
         wizard in some transmuted form in a gallery to show off.
         But by far due to politics and sheer arrogance the duel is
         almost always to the death.  Such duels also occur commonly
         in Marentia or Katai but are feats of physical or weapon
         prowess only.  Where as those duels tend to be from some
         offense dealing with money, status or love these Dark Land
         duels tend to be out of sheer jealously or a power struggle
         for one person to gain status and land.]

        [As the two men enter the circle, Caladan also approaches and
         does one brief cursory examination.  Unali shakes her head
         on the sidelines.]

        Unali: "Boys."

        [Zhou declares all bets are final and the duel is to start.
         Chion glances to the north at the wizard's tower and wonders
         if Ki'ama is watching.  There is little doubt he wouldn't be.
         But there might be doubt as to which side he might choose.]

        Caladan: "Ready."

        [Both men stare at each other and flex their fingers.]

        Caladan: "Set...go!"

        [At the same second Chion begins to speak his words in Marentian
         and waves his hands.  At the same time Zing speaks words that
         Chion doesn't understand and gestures with his hands toward
         his body.]

        Zhou: "Clever using Kll'maun."

        [the party thinks Chion doesn't know that language.  Zing has
         one slight advantage in being able to speak his magical words
         without Chion knowing them.  But then again so does Zing
         understanding Marentian.]

        [Seconds later Chion loses his solid mass and becomes insubstantial.
         Fremea notices a blue aura surround Zing but isn't sure of what
         spell he casts.  She figures it is some defensive spell.]

        [Zhou studies Zing's gestures and quickly guesses.]

        Zhou: "Protection?"

        [Both men start out it seems with defense magic.  Figuring each
         to attack first.  Which in some circles is just as bad as
         initiating the duel in the first place.  ]

        Chion: "Well, at least you are not as rash as I expected from your
          fuming and ranting about not getting to see the High Elder."

        Zing: "Look at you the coward's spell.  Afraid of me already?"

        [Chion smirks in his ghostly image as both men seem to stare down
         each other.  Chion notices that Zing is flexing his fingers as if
         keeping a mental count of a possible spell duration. Zing knows
         if he can get the right second down he can plan his move just
         when Chion becomes solid again.  Chion knows this as well and
         wonders if he made the first wrong spell.]

        Chion: "12, 1, 16, 17, 19, 23, 11, 2, 4, 9, 10... "

        [Chion rattles on more numbers in an attempt to confuse Zing.]

        [The crowd seems to murmur and whisper.  Some laugh and some taunt
         both men. As the seconds roll on...]

        [Unali turns from the duel circle rather stiffly and walks away
         toward the main gate.  She enters the citadel and turns west
         toward her destination the Inn.]

        [Zing hears the counting distraction that Chion continues but
         attempts to cast another spell.  He speaks Kll'maun and
         gestures but nothing seems to happen to Chion.]

        [Chion figures he has another 30 seconds or so before his
         spell ends but he continues to speak in random numbers to
         confuse Zing.]

        [This time Zing changes the words it seems and casts another
         spell onto Chion but nothing seems to happen.  Frustrated
         Zing paces back and forth staring at Zing.]

        Zing: "Fight like a man!"

        [As Chion continues to count Zing paces back and forth like
         a caged tiger.  He remains quiet for about 15 seconds. He
         then turns and gestures to start another spell on Chion.
         This time Fremea sees dark grey black energy emit from
         Zing's hands and hit Chion even in insubstantial form.
         Chion can feel tingles of energy seem to hit him like ants
         all over as they seem to bite and drain him of energy.  Chion
         figures Zing is using some form of energy attack.  A logical
         choice at a time like this.  Chion feels weaker as the energy
         attack seems to last several seconds.]

        [In fact the attack lasts around 12 seconds.  Fremea notices
         the gray energy attack seems to pinpoint areas on Chion's
         "body" and retract in a red energy stream.  She figures he
         is being drained.  Suddenly on the 11th second of the attack
         Chion becomes solid and immediately welts and sores hit his
         body as he takes 6 points of damage from the attack.  Zing
         smiles as Chion grits his teeth.]

        [The crowd goes up in a loud whisper as bets are exchanged
         as some bet on first blood or first hit.  Those who bet
         on Zing collect their coins.  The party is distressed to
         see Chion hurt first.]

        [Chion's legs waver just slightly as he regains his strength
         and mental strength as the attack spell ends.  Chion begins
         to quickly recast his insubstantial spell.  He knows he'll
         be subject to another attack but its better than being subject
         to physical attack spells which Zing surely has.  Zing grabs
         his breath and smiles as he gestures and speaks as well the
         magical words to start another spell.  But it turns out he
         is one second behind Chion.  One second before Zing finishes
         his spell Chion goes insubstantial again.]

        [Zing completes his spell and Chion knows it to be the energy
         attack spell again.  Chion becomes subject to energy drain
         again as Zing's spell goes off.  Chion tries to continue
         to count random numbers but becomes slightly disoriented at
         the quick energy drain.]

        [Zing stands with arms folded and stares at Chion.]

        Zing: "I got first blood and you stand there like a coward."

        [Zing continues to stare as Caladan circles the two.  Caladan
         looks to Chion like "will you do something" but remains quiet.
         The crowd continues to whisper among themselves.]

        [Around 9 seconds later and Fremea notices the blue aura of
         Zing goes away as the protection spell ends.]

        [By now its been almost a full minute of spell casting and
         duel.  The crowd is amazed at the length of time.  By now
         a victor would've surely walked away.  New bets are taken
         on the new length of the fight.]

        [Chion watches Zing's face and notices he is drained a bit
         in color and is sweating.  He figures Zing must already
         be low on magical strength.  A weakling Chion figures.]

        [The energy attack ends 12 seconds later and Chion stands
         and continues to count random figures.  Zing steps back
         and refigures his next move.]

        [Chion figures he has about 25-30 seconds left on his insubstantial
         spell and continues to count outloud random numbers to confuse
         and annoy Zing.  Chion wonders if Zing is faking or if he is
         trying drained in mana energy.]

        [Three seconds later Zing smiles and walks forward.  he
         flexes his fingers and waits.]

        [Zing counts mentally to himself.  He then quickly speaks
         and gestures 20 seconds later.  At the same instant Chion
         prepares to cast his next spell.]

        [A second after Chion becomes solid a bright white energy
         goes from zing's hands and it almost looks like a fire
         dart but in this case its actually cold ice shooting out.
         Chion sees the Ice Dart shoot forward but when it hits
         Chion it explodes and nothing happens.  Chion takes no damage
         as his magical defense seems to have stopped it.  Chion smirks.
         Zing curses out loud.]

        [Chion knew that the critical time was lost.  But he also figures
         Zing is weak now.  He casts this time in Marentian a different
         spell and the gestures indicate this as well.  Zing figures
         this to be a different spell and prepares for it mentally.]

        [Chion loses form again and remains still.  The crowd seems to
         murmur and whispers roar up as some see one thing and others
         see another.  Z'leyra and Fremea blink their eyes and see
         what looks like Chion in insubstantial form go back into
         solid form.  They both realize Chion has cast an illusion
         to fool Zing.  The rest of the party, those that have remained,
         seem to believe the illusion.  It seems only a few in the
         crowd (maybe 10%) see through the illusion.  Caladan believes
         the illusion as he circles the ring.  Some are tempted to
         yell a warning to Zing but know that interference isn't
         tolerated.]

        [Zing steps back and looks at Chion in insubstantial form
         again and sneers.  Chion figures that as his "your a coward
         stance".  Chion figures he believes the illusion as cast.
         The fool. Chion knows in illusion mode he can't move so he'll
         have to draw Zing in closer.  As the illusionary Chion seems
         to speak now in Marentian to confuse Zing Chion quietly
         murmurs his next spell.]

        [Chion finishes his small hand gestures and Fremea notices
         a brownish energy emit from Chion's right hand about the
         size of a dagger.  It almost looks like a dagger but looks
         like a magical form.  Fremea has not seen such a spell before.
         Chion waits patiently knowing that the spell will last well
         over 45 seconds or so.]

        [Chion under the illusion speaks quickly a insult toward
         Zing in Katai.  Zing growls and steps forward.  Chion sees
         his change and gets into a fighting stands behind the illusion
         of himself.  Chion stabs upward with his magical dagger trying
         to hit in the neck but hits dead chest center at the last second
         when Zing moves.  The magical dagger impales Zing and blood
         splays outward.  Zing looks down to see the magical glowing
         dagger and looks up in shock and surprise.  Caladan approaches
         quickly to examine the blow to ensure its magical and not
         Chion's sai weapons.  The crowd yells and hisses as Zing takes
         first blood.]

        [Zing places his left hand over his chest at the wound and steps
         back.  His eyes show confusion as Chion steps away from his
         illusion and he suddenly blinks as the illusion fades.  For
         a split second Chion seems to notice that friendly boyish
         eye twinkle Chion actually liked.  A hint of the scared boy
         inside seems to make Chion wary for a split second.  Is this
         wrong Chion wonders?  Could Chion be so wrong and this duel
         be a waste?]

        [Caladan raises a hand to quiet the audience.  In solid form
         Chion steps forward and for a split second feels pity for
         Zing.  He glances to the audience and notices Unali and Arawn
         are no where to be seen.  Ben'dar is the most vocal seeming
         to cheer Chion on.  Chion looks to the surprised Caladan and
         then back to Chion as the crowd seems to go to dead silence.]

        [Zing tries to step back but the hefty yet nimble Chion tries to
         step behind Zing.  But Zing moves aside and Chion stabs Zing
         in the right arm drawing more damage from the magical dagger.]

        Zing: "Chion..." [He tries to speak in a low voice...]

        [Chion tries twice more to hit Zing but Zing seems to dodge
         Chion well and remain in the circle.  Zing looks outside
         the circle to wonder if he should just withdrawal.  He would
         be banished and declared a coward.  But Zing's arrogance
         seems to get in the way, or his stupidity.  Zing seems
         to circle the duel ring trying to figure his next step.
         But quietly he feels drained and can't seem to concentrate.]

        [Chion now is able to get behind Zing and with a powerful thrust
         impales the wizard in the back behind the heart.  The Magical
         dagger does massive damage as his ex-friend's blood sprays
         onto Chion's clothes.  Zing's knees give out and he collapses
         to the ground.  Zing falls forward and then rolls onto his
         bleeding back.  He looks up at Chion and tries to speak.  He
         coughs up blood.]

        Zing: "-he was right..." (Cough) "..what is..that..."

        [Zing seems to look upward to the sky.  Chion doesn't look
         up in case its a trick.  Chion's chest heaves two more times
         and Chion's eyes stare up into the clouds.  this Zing's
         eyes roll back and his hands fall to his sides.  For a
         second Chion feels great pity to lose a ex-friend.  But Zing
         did bring it on himself.  Knowing that Zing has to be dead
         Chion finally looks up.  But only sees fluffy clouds and
         Corona to the east.]

        [Caldan comes over and checks Zing's pulse to the three wounds
         and finds none. He shakes his hands and stands.]

        Caladan: "the fight is over.  Zing is dead."

        [The crowd roars up in cheers or jeers, but mostly cheers.
         From inside the citadel Unali and Arawn hear the crowd and
         figure the fight is over.  They sigh and wonder who was
         victorious.  Chion's Wounds spell ends 32 seconds later.]

        [The total fight ends in exactly 90 seconds to the second.
         A lengthy duel in these parts.]

        [Chion looks down and grabs his bone shamanic focus device.
         Caladan notices this as Zhou collects bets and talks
         among the crowd.  Caladan stops Chion.]

        Caladan: "I know what you want to do.  Destroy his soul.
          Haven't you done enough here today?  Killed a past friend
          and showed yourself to the new people in our group to
          who and what you are?  If you cross this line you cross
          a mental line.  Also Cetric would not be pleased.  I'm
          told by Ben'dar, Arawn tried to talk to the spirits back
          in some cabin.  The shamans destroyed their souls to
          prevent him from doing so.  If you kill his soul you
          are going to upset Cetric and all his teachings.  He
          doesn't teach such acts of cruelty.  The Zen'da way is
          to honor the spirits in the extreme.  Not to kill them.
          I can't prevent you and I don't even know if its against
          the rules.  But if you do this I will lose respect for
          you as a shaman in training."

        [Caladan says the words quietly and the party doesn't hear
         it over the roar of the crowd.  But Caladan looks a bit
         disappointed at Chion as he walks away from the circle toward
         the party.  Zhou and Kee join him to debrief him and then
         quickly give thanks for being a judge in this duel.]

        [Chion watches the crowd.  Ben'dar seems to collect a small
         bag of coins and figures he bet on him.  He notices Arawn
         and Unali are still not around.  Ben'dar seems pleased
         at himself for winning and for Chion winning.  Fremea seems
         to stare at Chion covertly in fascination at the wizard
         and the duel.  Kiet the new stranger to this group seems to
         look a bit befuddled at the quick duel.  In his homeland
         duels were rare.  Raban seems impassive to the whole vent
         and Chion can't seem to read him.  Z'leyra looks concerned
         at Chion's wounds.]

        [Chion looks over and sees Novassa turn over a bag of coins
         it seems to a smiling Sven Redhand.  Chion looks for the
         Sorceress's wagon and finds it.  Just in time to see the
         curtain close and servants pick up stairs to place onto the
         wagon.  He couldn't see what she was doing or her expression.]

        [A minute or two pass and three servants come to fetch
         Zing's body regardless of what Chion does.]

        Zhou: "A good duel and a long one.  One of our longest
          I think Chion Blades.  I can see why they call you that
          now.  A bit disappointed to see you not directly attack
          rather than wait for him to deplenish his energy.  But
          in the end the method worked."

        [Soon the crowd disperses and the party returns to the Citadel
         grounds.]

                                -----------------

        [Time: 1:00pm]

        [After the duel servants run back and forth on getting supplies
         for various party members.  Unali's horse is stocked with
         a few weeks worth of water and rations.]

        [A servant finds Raban and directs him to the side.  Soon
         Zhou and Kee come up and wave over a large horse.]

        Zhou: "This horse by itself can handle a man around 370=375
          pounds and gear about 120 pounds or so.  It should be
          good enough for you.  It is no runestaff but the High
          Elder sees to your need and felt you can use it.  Sven
          actually found this horse a couple years ago in the cold
          north.  He gives it to the High Elder and the High Elder
          gives it to you.  I assume you know how to ride?  The
          stables can equip you with a decent saddle and tack if
          you need that material?  It is not combat trained and
          you should not ride it hard in terms of fast speed for
          lengthy times.  It would exhaust it.  But on simple
          riding lengths it should be sufficient."

        [Raban looks at the tall horse that stands taller than Zhou
         at just over 6 foot at the back.  A tall horse indeed.
         Raban wonders if Ben'dar can check its age and bearing to
         see if it would survive a long trip.]

        [The party leaves at 2pm - one hour from now as Sven gathers
         up his own equipment from stores.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Monday...

        GM: Schedule of future Updates
            Marqi 30 - 3pm - 6pm - Travel east
            Marqi 31 - 7am - 7pm - Travel east
            Ma     1 - 7am - 7pm - Travel east

        GM: Trip plans (as note for myself)

            Ben'dar -   2 days Survival    skill practice
            Fremea  -   2 days Herbalist   skill practice and item hunt
            Kiet    -   2 Days Rope making skill practice

        GML Well its good to be back and into the groove of the game
            again.  I know some wanted to send out the dwarves for
            help but they were already getting into mischief.  If for
            some reason this happens again where I can't get online.
            The general rule is that I will always warn you guys
            of update disruption (vacation, sickness, delays, etc.).
            If for some reason you see no update and then another one
            go by its almost certain I'm not able to get online.
            In the 12 years I've been with this ISP I've been offline
            maybe a month at most including the 2 weeks last time.
            So chances are rare.  But stuff does happen.  If it gets
            over a week I will try to notify someone.  Just keep
            this in mind if it happens again. Never say never is how
            I best figure things as stuff happens.

        GM: Chion still attack Zing's soul as planned?  I hope the
            duel went as you pretty much planned and we talked about
            in email.  It fit your schedule.  Quick note on the
            damage.  You took 16 hits and 47 energy lost.  Still
            not enough to even be severe for you.  I'll report
            on Experience and such in a email this weekend.  Let me
            know if you want to heal yourself or be treated by others.

        GM: Last chance to give me info on Gear requests and private
            audiences with Sven, High Elder.  Also let me know what
            skills you'll be doing in the next travel days.
            I will work on some of Monday's update maybe Sunday.
            I will include any first (if any) encounters in Monday's
            update.  We will move on to travel in next update.

        GM: Ahh..after 18 days its nice to do a update!  Reminder
            a map of the trip route is on the website.