[pnpgm] Making friends with the chimaera

john haight lithalis at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 03:45:41 CEST 2008

   Arawn simply smirked when Caladan asked for his sword, aware of the jest. As Ben'dar and Caladan continued to talk Arawn looked ahead in an attempt to sense what lay ahead in the mist. He thought of the possibility for a peaceful resolution but was not sure that this exact moment would be the right time.
   "Thank you for the offer Ben'dar," he said with a smile. "But, in this case, I believe that you and Caladan are right, about this creature being no more than a guard dog. Though I admit that with the ancient powers in place here it could prove to be unusually intelligent they are, for the most part, exactly that, guard dogs, usually for giants. I would try communication but they are about as intelligent as a dog which would limit things. My statement earlier tends to hold better where intelligent communication is possible. Still, if the group desires, I can move ahead and see what surprises await."
    If no one objects then Arawn will first cast Sensory Power: Smell, using the Sidh Tongue,and then try to catch individual members scents. As the spell descrip is vague and the character has had innate experience with it he'll only cast this if he could use it to detect a new scent (assuming the chimaera, like most monsters, would have a strong scent). If you rule this doesn't work then he'll use Sensory Power: Hearing, using the Sidh Tongue.
   He will then cast Invisibility (if Ben'dar wants it he'll cast it on the barbarian as well and will make sure that both can see each other) at EL2, using the Sidh Tongue, and move into the mist. He will use his tent pole to gently prod the ground ahead for any holes.
   What happens here depends on the party-
- If they wish to follow and want to AVOID the chimaera then he will attempt to use his enhanced senses to try and steer them clear of it.
- If they would rather he go alone and they wait behind then he will try to home in on where the chimaera landed and use his enhanced senses to determine if it is alone. If it ends up in range, is alone, then he will attempt to use Elven Communication to determine it's current intent.
   If combat ensues and the creature breathes Arawn will attempt to dodge it.
   One last option, if there is time before posts, is to see if the group would like to spend time trying to further understand the magics surrounding us in hopes of finding away around it or dispelling it. If no one wants to use Mana Reading then Arawn will offer to speak with the spirits of the sky (Sky Knowledge) to determine if there is a way to see through or disperse the mist.