[pnpgm] Game Update #56 - File #259 - Party moves forward and falls...

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Jul 11 06:27:19 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #57 in sequence (file #259)

     Admin notes: Some order of the Recap section was taken from when
     I got the emails.  Though some replies were actually done before
     I got the post.  Go figure.

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          "If any of those creatures had a spear on them, I might want
          one... just to keep other flying buzzards away"

          "I'm afraid that I am not able to take much damage...but I also
          was able to help dispatch at least two of them, and those were
          the bigger males."

          "Might I also ask who or what made my Pseudo Sven disappear?  I
          brought him along to protect me, and I find it rather
          'disconcerting' that my rather expensive protection might be
          compromised unexpectedly."  (Kiet is not wearing his happy face...
          grim, not angry) Kiet

          "First of all, let us check these creatures to make sure they
          are dead.  I would be happy to make sure if others of you are
          squeemish."

          "Secondly, let us gather up their weapons and check their bodies
          for valuables.  The females are wearing leather harnesses, and
          the males may have something on them."

          "And...Are any of you able to repair torn leather armor?...
          (sigh)" "Red is not my color..."

          Kiet will also go about collecting his ropes and other items
          once the bodies are checked and someone can heal him up.

          [Re: Tossed Spear]
          I hope not point first...
        GM: Ack.  Removed line about harnesses per our email.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar grins.  "I'll help you make sure they're all dead."

          "I can repair your armor, though Z'leyra is better at leather
          working than I am."

        From Alex: [Re: Reply to John H]
          J Hooten wrote:
          [Quote deleted actual text below in John's section]

          In order to run Z'leyra as a more effective healer I put a lot
          of study into the rules for healing.

          Healing SKILLS don't endanger the patient (unless herbalist roll
          is failed by 25 or more) and can be used as long as healing
          supplies last and at half value thereafter. Limits for healing
          skills are once per day + once per magical healing, though in
          certain cases (multiple encounters wounds and bandaging per
          day) it can be higher. Note that different healing skills
          (bandaging, herbs, massage) can be used and are cumulative.
          Simple bandaging can be used by even the unskilled, but are more
          effective when used by a skilled healer. Healing skills are
          cumulative with healing spells if the skills are used first.

          Combining healing skills and magic results in the fastest and
          most complete healing available. Scratches can heal on their own
          or with bandaging, generally without much problem unless the
          scratch gets infected. Minor wounds can use either skill or spell
          to heal. Major wounds require a lot of time, major healing spells
          or preferably the combination of healing skills and spells.

          Rule 1.3431 is a little vague about the definition of Hit Points
          Taken. If it is total damage taken that day even a C80 character
          with HPV40 may not want to risk a second magical healing if the
          total damage is high enough. If fully healed from 40 damage the
          first time and hit for another 35 points of damage the risk
          would be 80x2 - 75x(2-1) = 160-75 = 85% chance of surviving the
          second magical healing. A 15% chance of dying. In a game I GM'd
          years ago one character failed such a roll. The players were
          careful thereafter to never risk it happening again.

          Yes, Watchful Sleep is dangerous and shouldn't be used when it
          will result in a risk of dying. Note that Healing Light can be
          used as an offensive spell since it freezes the recipients (and
          caster) for a turn.

          A lot of damage can be done in a turn to someone who can't move.
          If an opposing caster used Healing Light my character would in
          most circumstances try to resist the spell, not wanting to be
          either frozen or having  a minor amount of magical healing
          instead of major magical healing later. I suspect that the
          healing gods would likely frown on using Healing Light
          offensively.
        GM: Ack. Good comments.

        From John H: [Re: Healing Comments]
          <Healing is an area that varies by GM rules. So the question
          becomes, are there healing magics that do not have the usage
          limits? Otherwise healing mist which will totally heal people
          may be the best choice? Raban has a fair chance to be totally
          healed by his own Healing Magic, but it is not safe to use it
          more than once. A more skilled caster would improve that chance.
          In any case Raban will offer to use healing magic on anyone who
          needs it, assuming a better method has not been mentioned.>

          <This could make Watchful Sleep a hazardous spell if its side
          effect of healing counts for risk of death? Healing Light may
          heal only a tiny amount on each person and thus aggravate the
          risk for other healing. Its one of those PnP rules that add
          confusion and more bookkeeping. I understand they wished to
          make it harder to just heal everything after a fight.>

          <Raban can do a serious healing massage, +3 to CB and StB. His
          healing skill is for horses, though that should mean he knows a
          little human healing? El3 magical healing is fairly effective but
          has that serious drawback for most people.>

          <And no, Healing Light should never be usable offensively, thats
          a question for the designer! And personally I don't think Watchful
          Sleep should have that risk, but technically the rules imply both
          of those can be a risk. Healing Mist can also be used offensively
          as it puts targets comatose while healing making them an easy
          kill. Obviously all the healing related spells need to be
          checked over for abuse, especially area effects.>
          [Alex's email quoted text deleted for space. See above]

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will cast EL0 Orient Self then cast a Max EL Healing on
          Corona through her staff.

          Then she will use her healing skills on Kiet (not having time
          she will forgo giving a proper massage) followed by an EL4
          healing spell through her staff figuring that that should be
          enough to heal him.

          While patching Kiet she apologizes "Sorry Kiet, a side effect of
          one of my magical items is that it automatically dispels nearby
          illusions. When we have time I or Ben'Dar can sew up your
          leather armor."

          To the party "This is a good time to practice your healing skills
          then healing spells for those of you who can, lots of patients
          with only minor wounds. I will assist and give guidance to your
          healing if you want."

          If any want her to do the healing she will comply.

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea will make sure everbody knows where she is and then she
          will cast healing (el 1) on herself. When she notices Chion's
          wounds, she will offer her healing spell to him (el 1) if he
          wants.

          "Since it is hard to see up here and we are not sure of where
          the edge is, I will be glad to take the point, since I can fly
          easily, even if I fall off the ledge. I will also be able to
          sense the mana ebbs with Mana Sensing, and hopefully that will
          tell us when we reach an area that is the edge."

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar nods.  "Good idea.  I'd rather not fall through the
          clouds!" Ben'Dar will stay near Fremea and/or Chion, letting
          them test the ground and stepping only where they step.
          [Fremea's text quote deleted for space]

          Ben'Dar tosses Kiet his spare spear.

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          [Raban finally had a chance to see the opponents clearly, and
          their bodies quickly showed him the truth. Raban hugs one of the
          broken bodies, one whose face is caved in from his mighty fists,
          and cries. He has never killed a female before and only rarely
          been forced to hurt one. If only he had not worm his gauntlets,
          then maybe she would have only been knocked unconscious. But this
          mission was important and so many needed protection, it seemed to
          need a serious response. Did this frail female deserve to die?
          They attacked without warning nor would they respond to attempts
          for peaceful talks. But we are likely invading their home.
          Seeking deep within his heart and soul, Raban asks for forgiveness
          from his Goddess... After a bit, his crying stops, he finds no
          judgment against him, though his heart still hurts for what he
          has done. He would need to try to be more careful, but there may
          not be time to choose not to kill. His goddess does not require
          him to blindly protect all females, part of that is his own n
          ature, she only requires it for a much more select few. This may
          be partially her way to tell him he needs to change.]

          [A little later he has pulled himself back together, and looks
          more his old cheerful self. At first he refused to heal himself
          but he can not protect others if he cant take a few hits himself.
          So with a prayer to his Goddess, he heals himself <el3>. He
          offers his services as a skilled healing masseuse or as a magical
          healer to the others.]

          <This may need some changes if others respond or events occur.>
          <Depending on how much time has passed, Raban likely missed much
          of the others actions. I should add that killing one of the
          females near Raban, could be a serious mistake. He may not be the
          most rational during the early part of this post.>

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will offer his services and add, "Cetric taught me that
          proper preparation of the wounds prior to magical healing greatly
          aids the healing magic. Anyone who wishes can have Z'leyra or I
          help or magically heal them." Chion will have Z'leyra help him
          prep his wounds and then cast healing himself.

          (OOC: you do get an immediate healing after magical aid is
          applied, right?)

          Anyway, he will offer to help Keit, "Wow, they nearly got the
          better of you, didn't they? Nothing we can't fix though." he
          will say smiling.

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          [Seeing Raban hug a gargoyle.]

          Kiet with a look of stunned amazement mixed with disgust,
          whispering to Chion: "What the...by the balls of Tiamat...does
          the size of the man's body also addle his mind?  I have long
          wished to be that powerful, but not at such a cost as this!"

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will wisper back, "I probably shouldn't ever go into
          detail about killing the Climan Priestesses in front of him,
          and it looks like taking him to L'P'Nth is straight out of the
          question."

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          While the others scramble to heal one another Arawn stood
          slightly apart, a look on his face of deep thought or perhaps
          concentration.  After several moments he turned to look back to
          the others and offered his services as a healer as well, though
          he knew that Z'leyra was more adept with humans he wondered if
          his own training as a healer of elves would be a better transfer
          for the other sidh in the group. Aside from that he searches
          through the remains, saying a prayer in the true tongue of the
          Sidh for a chance that their spirits might recycle out of the
          reach of chaos. When he was done he looked about again and then
          spoke to the party.

          "There is ancient and terrible magic here. It covers this place
          and reeks of darkness and evil, the stink of Chaos. There are
          multiple magics at work here, all very, very powerful, and it
          was one such effect that protected the gargoyles from the light
          of the sun, else they would have been stone and dust.

          The spirits of the air speak of other guardians here, most gifted
          with the power of flight, though I do not know specifics at this
          time. Be prepared though, with this magic in existence we may
          find other creatures of darkness flying about this domain."
          When Fremea offers herself as point Arawn nods his agreement.

          "It would likely be for the best. In the case of an accidental
          fall do we want to tie ourselves together or keep independent of
          each other?"

          OOC: After assisting anyone that needs it Arawn will search the
          bodies and immediate area, using Mana Sensing to try and locate
          any other magics present. Afterwards he will try to use Mana
          Reading, now that he is less distracted, to read the various
          auras he has sensed.
        GM: Ack. I may not get to the mana sensing and reading stuff
            tonight due to time.  But a quick reminder.  I'm going to
            be more strict on the Sensing/Reading limits and costs
            (if applicable).  Some limits do apply on use per day and
            such.  So keep this in mind. :)

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands, 9 Miles up]

        [Time: 9:30am]

        [The combat ends after 30 seconds and the party begins to breathe
         a sigh of relief.  The party figures either this place now has
         guardians or creatures that took this place a home.  Yet some
         magic still seems to be in place.  Arawn detected a overall
         magical effect to the area around the party.  Like the citadel
         which had a huge ward to keep the cold at bay and keep his domain
         at a constant spring like environment is almost that level of
         power.  That power seems to be great, vast and old.]

        [Kiet realizes that fighting with daggers might suit someone
         like Unali but it means the enemy gets in close.  He looks
         around to see if the creatures used weapons.]

        Kiet: "If any of those creatures had a spear on them, I might want
          one... just to keep other flying buzzards away"

        [As he looks around Kiet further comments on his combat prowess.]

        Kiet: "I'm afraid that I am not able to take much damage...but I
          also was able to help dispatch at least two of them, and those
          were the bigger males."

        [Caladan looks to Kiet's voice in the mist abut doesn't see him.]

        Caladan: "You can tell the sex?  Most wouldn't."

        [Kiet checks a body and then another and makes another comment
         on something that didn't make him so happy.]

        Kiet: "Might I also ask who or what made my Pseudo Sven disappear?
          I brought him along to protect me, and I find it rather
          disconcerting' that my rather expensive protection might be
          compromised unexpectedly."

        [Z'leyra hears this and stops and realizes what she has done.
         Sometimes having magical toys are nice for one's protection
         but they can also hinder others.]

        Kiet: "First of all, let us check these creatures to make sure
          they are dead.  I would be happy to make sure if others of you
          are  squaemish."

        [Kiet finds the creature Raban first tackled and took down. It
         is knocked out and still alive.  Quietly as he continues to
         talk he draws his dagger.  He then slices their throat to
         ensure their death is quick.]

        Kiet: "Secondly, let us gather up their weapons and check their
          bodies for valuables."

        [As Kiet stumbles around slowly to a 3rd body he checks his
         armor but finds it in good shape just minor stretch marks.]

        Kiet: "And...Are any of you able to repair torn leather armor?..."
          (sigh) "Red is not my color..."

        [As Kiet moves around he collects his two ropes after the magic
         ends back to his person.

        [Ben'dar grins at the battle.  Its good to know he wasn't
         hurt and to have some good armor made by Z'leyra.  He grins
         and comes up to some of the creature bodies.]

        Ben'dar: "I'll help you make sure they're all dead."

        [Seconds later on another body he comments on armor repair.]

        Ben'dar: "I can repair your armor, though Z'leyra is better at
          leather working than I am."

        [When Ben'dar is within visual sight of Kiet, he unclips his spare
         spear from his belt and tosses it toward Kiet.  Kiet catches
         it and nods back.  Kiet grips the spear to ensure it'll work
         for him.  Kiet knows he doesn't have skill in using the spear
         but he can certainly throw one.  Just hopes he doesn't throw
         it and it lands 9 miles down on Sven.  That wouldn't be good.]

        [Ben'dar, Unali and Chion take over looking over the bodies
         as Kiet suddenly stops.  Feeling his wounds he sits on the
         ground and waiting for healing.]

        [Z'leyra decides her companion is in most need of healing right
         away.  She kneels to the bird and grabs her staff and drum.  She
         casts a quick shamanic orientation spell and then a healing spell
         upon Corona.  Placing both hands on Corona's two wounds green
         healing energy comes from her arms into Corona.  The 9 points of
         damage the eagle had completely heals.  She then brushes some
         water into his back and wing to clean the red blood out.  Corona
         flexes his wings and squawks a thanks to Z'leyra.]

        [Z'leyra glances to the dead creatures about the ground and her
         hatred for these things builds.  If she could she would kill the
         god that made them.  Then her memories fade and she returns to
         reality.  She stands and moves over to Kiet and pulls out her
         satchel.  She pulls out herbs, water and bandages.  She begins
         to clean his wounds and apply some herb treatment quickly to
         prevent infection. As she works she doesn't look at Kiet but
         replies to him softly in a soothing apologetic tone.]

        [Before she replies she notices Chion nearby looking down and
         offering his own help.]

        Chion: "Wow, they nearly got the better of you, didn't they?
          Nothing we can't fix though." [He says this smiling but he
          notices Kiet seems to want Z'leyra's help.]

        Z'leyra: "Sorry Kiet, a side effect of one of my magical items
          is that it automatically dispels nearby illusions. When we have
          time I or Ben'Dar can sew up your leather armor."

        [Kiet grimaces and looks Z'leyra up and down to figure out what
         could've been the item.  Her helmet, her necklace, her boots, her
         rings, her staff?  Kiet notices she seems to have 10 times as
         much magical items than the party combined.  She knows she will
         not have time for a healing massage and this certainly isn't the
         place for it.  She examines the 3 wounds.  One is only a minor
         scratch the others are ddeper cuts (1+3+4).  She places her hands
         on the 2 worst wounds after using her healer skill.  More green
         energy flow through her arms to his wounds and completely heal
         her 3 wounds for a total healing of 13 points.  Even the scar
         tissue seems to heal back to normal as if nothing was done to
         him.  She nods and packs up her materials quickly knowing the
         party will be moving soon.  Kiet nods thanks back and finds her
         skill as healer formidable.  As she is packing up Chion asks for
         her to help him prepare his wounds.  She does so with her healing
         materials then packs up finally.]

        [Chion casts a quick healing spell upon himself. He has 5 wounds
         (1+3+3+2+3) mostly light wounds.  After her excellent preparation
         work and his simple healing magic all 5 wounds heal up and he
         is now at full health.]

        [As Z'leyra packs up her materials she speaks to the party out
         loud so all can hear her.]

        Z'leyra: "This is a good time to practice your healing skills then
          healing spells for those of you who can, lots of patients with
          only minor wounds. I will assist and give guidance to your
          healing if you want."

        [Moments ago Fremea still invisible ensures that all know where she
         is in case no one thinks her a bad guy.  Landing on the ground
         she helps the party check the bodies.  Landing near Chion she
         notices his scratches and offers her healing to him.  She
         then casts a healing spell upon herself.  But the spell fails.
         She recasts it and this time her wound heals up completely.]

        [Raban helps to look over the bodies near him.  He finds the first
         one he punched out.  The one he crushed her face in with the
         dead on strike to her face.  For the first time he begins to
         look over the body and size.  Her physique and her skin.  He
         glances over to the male he also attacked and notices a distinct
         difference in size and body.  A sad realization comes to his
         mind as he finally realizes this is a female of the species.
         He checks her body out and finds no breathing or pulse.  As tears
         come to his eyes he lifts her neck up and brings her limp torso
         to his chest.  He begins to rock back and forth in despair and
         cries silently.  He has never killed a female before and only
[...]

        [Kiet glances over to see Raban hugging the creature.  Kiet's
         is stunned and amazed at the sight, with mixed feelings of
         disgsut  He glances up to Chion and whispers to him.]

        Kiet: "What the...by the balls of Tiamat...does the size of the
          man's body also addle his mind?  I have long wished to be that
          powerful, but not at such a cost as this!"

        [Chion glances over to see Raban and nods.  he realizes what has
         come over him.  Raban's almost fanatical nature to protect
         women or the sex seems to make sense to him.  In life we all
         strive for something to work with.  For Chion that may be
         knowledge and magic.  For Raban that's helping women.  Chion
         seems to understand the big giant.  A giant that can show such
         emotion in front of strangers has some good things to share
         with others.  Who should be the first to judge such a thing?
         Of course Chion knows that Kiet just met Raban.  He wasn't at the
         tavern attack and doesn't know his nature to help women.]

        Chion: [in a low whisper] "I probably shouldn't ever go into detail
          about killing the Climan Priestesses in front of him, and it
          looks like taking him to L'P'Nth is straight out of the question."

        [Chion forgets he is talking to a new person in the group one that
         hasn't been to Clima.  Chion forgets he agreed to keep the whole
         Climan fiasco secret for many more years.  If Unali had heard she
         might have to report this to Duke Aren.  But its just further
         confusion to Kiet.  Climan priestess?  Kiet learns more details
         about this strange party.  Even the folks in Lemasa has heard of
         the renown Climan island.  Their pirates and their age-old empire.
         So this party has likely been to Clima?  Kiet puts it away for
         safe keeping, maybe one day to follow up on.]

        [Arawn seems to see the Raban situation as a good sign that even
         a powerful being like him has hope.  Humans are so guided to
         war and fighting.  Kill first, ask questions later.  Sure
         Raban attacked but he had to.  But now to show such regret and
         emotion is hope for mankind.  He must remember to tell his parents
         of this day, to fight their disapproval of mankind's future.]

        [Ben'dar sees the big giant as well but figures he is sad to have
         killed in battle for the first time.  Such things will soon
         fade from the giant.]

        [Fremea flies over Raban and notices the strange sight of him
         hugging the creature and shrugs in confusion.  In her time
         as slave even men cried at being beaten and tortured.  So
         emotional scenes like this isn't that far fetched.]

        [Unali and Z'leyra watch the giant as well and nod silently
         knowing how the big lug is.  They actually find it refreshing
         to see a man like him show such emotion.  Certainly Farseeker
         wouldn't show such things.]

        [Caladan looks at the tall bard in confusion and frowns.  He
         doesn't know the his of Raban or why he likes women.  But
         he softly pads over to Raban.]

        Caladan: "They would have killed you without a thought and likely
          eaten you later.  You'd have been a feast for weeks.  Don't
          give it a second thought." [He then walks away shaking his
          head and joins the others.]

        [Many thoughts go through Raban's mind as he realizes his mistake
         to himself and his goddess. he knows he was defending himself and
         the others.  If he wasn't even near Kiet could've died.  He
         places the female back down and wipes his eyes.  Raban knows he
         will have to spend time alone seeking forgiveness with his fellow
         man and goddess.  But that will be for a later time.  He hears
         Caladan speak and knows the words are true.  But death is not
         always the option.  Knocking them out is always possible.]

        [Raban stands and realizes in order to protect the others he'll have
         to be at his full self.  He casts a healing spell upon himself
         without use of healing skill by Z'leyra or others.  but as he
         casts the spell nothing happens.  His light wound seems to remain
         in place.  He wonders if his goddess is sad with him?]

        [As Z'leyra heals Kiet Chion also offers his healing services.]

        Chion: "Cetric taught me that proper preparation of the wounds
          prior to magical healing greatly aids the healing magic. Anyone
          who wishes can have Z'leyra or I help or magically heal them."

        [The bodies are gathered up and counted.]

        Caladan: "So there were 23?  A lot more than we've fought before.
          There must've been a whole clan of them up here.  Hopefully
          that's the last of them."

        [Unali and Caladan ensure their wounds are bandaged.]

        [Raban, Chion and Z'leyra continue to offer healing aid and
         skill help if needed.]

        [The creatures have nothing on them at all.  No coins, no rocks
         or food.  Nothing.  The males were the only ones to carry swords.
         All five swords are gathered up and put into a pile.  Then
         the party decides to head on.  It is clear that what direction
         to go is purely random it seems in this climate.]

        [While the others scramble to heal one another Arawn stood slightly
         apart, a look on his face of deep thought or perhaps concentration
         After several moments he turned to look back to the others and
         offered his services as a healer as well, though he knew that
         Z'leyra was more adept with humans, he wondered if his own

         training as a healer of elves would be a better transfer for the
         other sidh in the group. Aside from that he searches through the
         remains, saying a prayer in the true tongue of the Sidh for a
         chance that their spirits might recycle out of the reach of chaos.
         When he was done he looked about again and then spoke to the party.]

        [Before his lips part his fleeting thought of healing sidh seems
         to open a thought flash.  A memory or some knowledge gained in
         a previous prayer to the gods or spell.  It was so fast though
         he can't seem to recall what it was.  But there is something like
         a connection to the thought and this place.  As quickly as the
         nanosecond memory flash hits him it leaves his mind.  He tries to
         rethink the thought but it doesn't return.  Something or someone
         seems to have given him a brief flash into this place yet it doesn't
         seem to help.  Maybe later in time it will become more clear?
         He continues to speak to the party.]

        Arawn: "There is ancient and terrible magic here. It covers this
          place and reeks of darkness and evil, the stink of Chaos. There
          are multiple magics at work here, all very, very powerful, and
          it was one such effect that protected the gargoyles from the
          light of the sun, else they would have been stone and dust."

          "The spirits of the air speak of other guardians here, most
          gifted with the power of flight, though I do not know specifics
          at this time. Be prepared though, with this magic in existence
          we may find other creatures of darkness flying about this
          domain."

        [With that warning Ben'dar, Chion, Caladan, Raban, Unali look
         around all prepared and ready for action.  No one places
         weapons at the rest.  The warning makes everyone alert and
         wary of the day to come.  The party wonders how many evil
         guardians there could be up here.  Maybe healing so fast wasn't
         such a good idea?]

                        ------------------------------

        [Time: 9:35am]

        Fremea: "Since it is hard to see up here and we are not sure of
          where the edge is, I will be glad to take the point, since I can
          fly easily, even if I fall off the ledge. I will also be able
          to sense the mana ebbs with Mana Sensing, and hopefully that
          will tell us when we reach an area that is the edge."

        Ben'Dar: [nods.] "Good idea.  I'd rather not fall through the
          clouds!"

        [When Fremea offers herself as point Arawn nods his agreement.

        Arawn: "It would likely be for the best. In the case of an
          accidental fall do we want to tie ourselves together or keep
          independent of each other?"

        Caladan: "Tying rope to each other is good.  But if some of us."
          [He briefly glances at Raban] "were to fall he or she might take
          us with them." [He grins] "Some of us are safe for falls.  Arawn
          you might have magic to teleport back up before impact.  Chion can
          easily teleport away and grab many of the fallen with him since
          he no longer seems to requite touch for effect.  Fremea can fly.
          Z'leyra can turn into a eagle if so needed or teleport.  That
          leaves Ben'dar, myself, Kiet, Raban and Unali vulnerable.  I
          say we stick together as best we can.  Be near a safe person and
          trade off. Chion can be in the center so he can catch us all.
          Fremea will be our eyes and feet.  If there is a combat situation
          we should back up to a area we know is not the edge for safety."

        [Fremea takes the lead position walking.  She could fly it
         but its best for her to walk even though its a much slower pace
         than the party is used to.  It better than nothing.  The
         party takes 2 columns behind her to her left and a right.  Taking
         up a column about 6 feet of safety.  Caladan offers his spare
         staff to Fremea to poke the ground in front of her as it is
         taller than she is.]

        GM: We could wait here and see about ropes or not.  Its a good
            suggestion actually.  But it won't affect the immediate
            future.  If you guys want to use rope to tie up to your
            buddy let me know.  Best to move on a bit.]

        Caladan: "Let's use the C path."

        [The party looks at Caladan with doubt and confusion.]

        Caladan: "Farseeker used to tell me about it.  We go this way
          and that...and..."

        [Unali having spent a winter month with Farseeker in the Marentian
         fort saw first hand use of the C path of searches.  She explains
         it to the party.  Basically using a wide circle, using what little
         of the sun can be seen as a guide, decreasing the circle every
         so often so it tightens a search path or vice versa.]

        [Walking slowly, quietly and with caution, trodding through wet
         ground.  The first bit of more solid ground; rocks, pebbles,
         and hand sized boulders are found.  Patches of grass is seen
         but of a dull green due to few rays of sunlight.  Mostly its
         wet and muddy dirt.  Boots will have to be cleaned later for
         sure.  Fremea waves her staff back and forth testing the ground
         but it is as solid as previous trampled on ground.]

        [Time: 9:38am]

        [Three minutes after moving, at a slow half human pace, the party
         finds small bushes and trees to the left.  The party tries to
         listen for life and animals but the howl of the winds is too great
         or the animals must be small and hiding.  The bushes at was it
         human level soon turn to trees of all things.  This high up there
         seems to be trees here.  It amazes the party to find the trees
         well thriving in this moist place.  Visibility still is at times
         as low as 3 feet or as much as 12 feet depending on how the winds
         shift and blow.]

        [As the party explore the area suddenly Chion, Kiet and Caladan
         stop in their tracks.  Those behind them bump into them.  They
         then suddenly fall to their knees.  Their eyes bulge out as if
         seeing some great horror and they land onto the ground on their
         backs looking up seemingly out of it.  At the same time Unali
         seems to feel something creeping about her body.  Some sensation
         but her magical dagger and scabbard that Z'leyra created seems
         to protect her and she shivers whatever it is off.  >She remains
         moving.  The party goes into quick chaos looking about.  Corona
         takes to the air.  The party look all about for any signs of
         activity.  Then a blur passes the party to the front and right.]

        [Those not on the ground see a red blur about the size of 3-4,
         maybe 5 feet rush by.  Two of them.  It seems to pulsate red and
         hairs raise on the back of folks necks.  The party has seen Corona
         fly and chase prey on the plains.  It could go 25 feet seemingly
         fast.  This thing seems to move much faster whizzing past so fast
         its a blur.  The only sign it is nearby is its red color among
         the gray clouds.  Even with short visibility the red color is
         obvious.  Then out from the rear the party hears flapping of
         wings.  The sound is known by now - gargoyles.  The party seems
         to realize now that one or two must've escaped.  As those who
         are able look back two forms land on the ground and growl.  One
         a short female (F#5) and a large, very large male carrying a sword.
         The male raises his sword toward the party and speaks something
         in its language.  Those who see the male can tell it must be
         the gargoyle leader maybe their clan king?]

        GM: Good place to stop huh? :)  In case unclear the red things
            are moving diagonally to the right and front of the party
            moving (if party facing north) south-east to north-west.
            The 2 gargoyles are to the rear.  I rolled in the last
            encounter to see if F#5 was seen fleeing and not one person
            detected it.  Sorry :<  These red things have never been
            encountered by any of the party's history.  This is the first
            that the party seems to have encountered them.

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Monday...

        GM: Combat Stats -

            * Time: 30 seconds - 10 phases

            * Experience - [If columns mess up see website]

                Player   CEP MEP Expertise       Notes
                Arawn    ---  16    8      EL2 Armor
                Arawn    ---  10   10      EL0 God's Eyes
                Arawn     26 ---    4      Sword
                Ben'dar   28 ---    8      Pike
                Caladan  ---   6    4      EL1 Clairvoyance
                Caladan   11 ---    4      War Staff
                Fremea   ---   4    5      EL0 Invisibility x2 [1 S/1 F]
                Chion     51 ---   14      Fight - Dagger
                Fremea    49 ---   12      Fight - Dagger
                Kiet     --- ---    1      ELO Protection-Chaos [Failure]
                Kiet     ---   6    8      EL1 Entangle x2
                Kiet     ---  20    8      EL3 Active Illusion
                Kiet      36 ---    6      Fight - Dagger
                Raban     65 ---   12      Hand-to-hand
                Unali     38 ---   12      Fight - Dagger
                Z'leyra  ---  12   12      EL0 Astral Web
                Z'leyra   28 ---    6      War Staff

              Notes:
              1. Arawn - +1 CEL! [+1 OCV/DCV], +1 Sword EL!
              2. Chion - +1 CEL! [+1 OCV/DCV]
              3. Some Skill/Experience not reported here for private
                 reasons if used in a private manner.
              4. CEP MVP - Raban!      MEP MVP - Kiet!

            * Fighting Tally -

                Player            Creatures Fought        Total
                Arawn         M#5 x2                        1
                Ben'dar       F#8 x2, F#12, F#1             3
                Caladan       F#9, F#3                      2
                Chion         M#2 x2, F#12, F#17, F#18      4
                Fremea        F#10, F#14 x2, F#6, M#2       4
                Kiet          M#3, F#3                      2
                Raban         M#4, M#?, F#14, F#16          4
                Unali         F#13, M#4 x2, F#15,           3
                Z'leyra       F#15, F#11, M#5               3

                Notes: Based on random target determination looks like
                a pretty spread out group.  Arawn fought the least.
                While 3 fought 4 each.

            * Item Damage -

                Player                Notes
                Ben'dar   Pike   FV -1
                Fremea    Dagger FV -2

                Note: For Armor since most wounds were from rocks or claws
                I didn't do armor damage this case.  I figure they wouldn't
                be tough enough to damage them. So the swords were the only
                ones to do so but no one's armor was damaged this combat.

        GM: Player Status

               Player/Ally       Status    Percentage    Notes
            Unali                Light          8%     3 wounds
            Caladan              Light         16%     1 wound
            Raban                Light         20%     3 wounds

            Everyone else back at 100%.  Actually surprised those with
            light wounds used a spell.  The day's young. :)  Those who
            healed themselves have 1 Magical Healing Count.

        GM: Raban - Since you said you'd be out of town didn't send email.
            But your healing spell failed and you didn't say to repeat it.
            So repeat it or wait and see if need it later? :)  I'll
            allow it past healing for this current situation.

        GM: This update was a bit rushed so may not have organized it
            in terms of interaction as best as could.  Hope its in some
            form of reasonable reading sequence.  due to time limits
            I couldn't format it a bit better more cohesively.

        GM: Sidh - V2 rules seem to have a limit on Mana Reading now.
            Not so for Mana sensing that I've found.  But will try to
            research it this weekend.  This means EL uses per day for
            mana reading.  This I agree with Richard as it limits sidh to
            being all knowing puzzle solvers for GM things. :)

        GM: Sorry Chion, Kiet but due to the magic and sucky rolls you
            were affected.  You'll probably be out of it for this
            combat unless someone comes up with a good plan.  You
            guys can sit back and complain at the GM :) But of course
            with Chion gone the party is hard to teleport away.  Yes,
            I rolled and counted for MDV, ELs, protection things like
            magical Chaos belts, immunity devices and the like.  This
            is why Ben'dar with low MDV was protected by his belt. For
            once it seems Z'leyra's belts come in handy.  Sorry for
            those who are down.  Just how the magical orb crumbles. :<