[pnpgm] Game Update #19 - File #37 - Unali dead or alive?

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Jan 29 08:54:16 CET 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
     Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #19 in sequence (file #37)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar growls back to the man in tan leathers, "Yes, you're
          too late.  My friend just got attacked by an assassin in there.
          The assassin may still be nearby!"  He points his pike at the
          beggars huddled behind him.  "These were part of the plot.
          They came in and provided distraction when the attack
          occurred!"  He strikes over to the beggars, looming over them
          threateningly.  "Who hired you to enter the tavern and cause a
          scene?" he demands.

          Upon getting an answer, he will tell the beggars to get back
          into the tavern and take a seat at a table.  They're not going
          anywhere until we figure out what happened.  Once back inside,
           Ben'Dar splashes some water in the face of the unconcscious
           messenger, reviving him.  He questions the messenger roughly,
           and tries to determine whether the man was also part of the
           plot.  (Assuming that at that point Ben'Dar will learn who
           the real attacker was.)

           At some point, he eyes the huge man standing near Arawn.
           Suspiciously, he grunts, "Who are you?"
        GM: Ack.

                ---------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          As the trio hover around Unali Arawn balances tending to her
          while keeping his eye on the situation around them. Assisting
          Z'leyra as best as he can he barely takes notice of the rather
          large man hovering over them at first but once the shaman's
          potion has been administered and Unali's wound tended to he
          looks back to the man, his eyes smiling for him, the only
          visible part showing through his face wrap. When he speaks his
          voice is serious and tinged with concern, his eyes drifting to
          his companion while he assists Z'leyra.

          "Our friend seems to have been poisoned but I think she will be
          alright now. Nevertheless, the offer is much appreciated." Arawn
          looked back to Unali and then past the giant of a man several
          times in a somewhat distracted matter. Finally appearing fixate
          on something he said, "Z'leyra, I'll be right back. Let me know
          if the potion doesn't seem to be working."

          As he prepared to stand he said the Kalu, "Perhaps you can
          assist my friend until I return."

          Moving away from the table, but keeping his eyes sharp, he made
          a beeline to the dart as it lay beside the table where only
          moments before all were enjoying themselves. He wasn't sure
          where the assailant was but he could use the dart to locate
          him should he evade the others. Picking it up and slipping it
          into a pouch at his side he made his way back toward Z'leyra,
          Raban, Unali.

          If the potion doesn't seem to have an effect Arawn will cast
          Negate Poison.
        GM: Ack.

                ---------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          After treating Unali, Z'leyra will ask if any others were
          rounded by the assassin. If so, she will offer a similar
          potion to them. She suggests that the assassin be bound and
          will do it herself if no one else does.

          Z'leyra looks closely at the city guard to see if she recognizes
          them. Considering their timely arrival she is wary of potential
          impostors.
        GM: Ack.

                ---------------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Making sure her dagger is secure, Fremea starts to run towards
          Chion, yelling in a little kids voice "Daddy,  your here!" and
          "trips" over something near the unconscious assassin. Sprawling
          across him, and fumbling on him to get up "quickly."

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Sivas, Marentia, Green Eye Tavern.
         [Time: 8:18am]

         [Corona flies 200 odd feet above the Tavern watching the
          sudden surge of movement around the tavern.  He notices
          a glint of blue in the neighborhood.  Someone standing
          on a roof wearing blue robes?  Suddenly Corona sees
          horses surround the tavern and some coming around back
          to meet Chion and Fremea.  Corona looks back up to the
          nearby roof a few streets over and the man is gone.]

         [Inside the tavern......]

         [Arawn looks upward to Raban and replies back.]

         Arawn: "Our friend seems to have been poisoned but I think
           she will be alright now. Nevertheless, the offer is much
           appreciated."

         [Raban stares at Arawn with his strange face wrap very
          rare for this society.  Raban sees Arawn's blue green eyes
          and black hair but not his face.  Raban nods in response to
          Arawn.  Arawn also studies Raban quickly.  Raban wears
          all leather from his boots to his clothing.  One distinction
          is Raban has 2 jeweled armbands that reveal themselves when
          Raban moves in certain ways.  Arawn notices for a human
          Raban seems rather handsome looking.  Arawn also notices he
          wears the leathers with bardic like symbols on them
          as Strie'bog does at times.  Arawn recognizes him as
          a possible servants of Cernunnos like Strie'bog.]

         [Z'leyra finishes giving Unali the potion and puts down the
          goblet and pulls out the Bezoar.  She knows little of
          poison matters not being a poisoner herself. But her healing
          treatment in poisons is limited.  She does know each person
          reacts differently to poison.  Some may react faster or
          slower while others could resist lethal amounts of poison
          and still others die from a simple bee sting.  She checks
          the neck wound and tries to clean the poison off with a table
          cloth and wipes poison and blood froth from Unali's mouth.
          Seconds pass what seems to be hours.  Z'leyra checks Unali's
          pulse and finds it continue to decrease in tempo.  Then
          the man that just entered the tavern comes over closer and
          distracts Z'leyra for a half second.  The man sighs and looks
          at the trio under the table.  Z'leyra rechecks her pulse
          and finds none.  It has completely stopped.  Z'leyra begins to
          consider options for immediate treatment.  Surely this must
          be a death poison so why didn't the potion work?  She glances
          at Arawn who raises an eyebrow to wonder about his poison
          removal spell.  Z'leyra begins to try to restart Unali's
          heart by using her fist in a pounding motion she was taught
          onto Unali's chest.  Unali's body flails under the pounding.
          Raban watching this growls and leans in closer.  The man
          commanding the guards comes closer and kneels down a few feet
          from Unali.  After a few seconds of pounding Z'leyra checks
          her pulse again and finds nothing.]

         Guard Leader: "She's dead?" [He glances over his shoulder to
           the guards] "Prepare to question everyone.  Call fore
           some reinforcements."

         [With those cold words Raban's mind does a double take hearing
          the cold nature of the guard he stands up and growls.  He
          moves around the table throwing a chair a few feet with his
          feet and charges the man.  With a forceful tug he yanks the
          man up by his feet and growls in anger.  The man struggles
          and waves his arms and feet in the air 2 feet off the ground.]

         [The three guards draw their swords...]

         [Outside in the rear of the tavern....]

         [The guards repeat their order for Chion to stand down.
          Chion and Fremea eye each other.  Fremea deftly places
          her dagger into her clothes as the guards seem to be
          staring at Chion.  Chion lets the 2 daggers that the
          assassin threw at him fall from his chest onto the ground
          with a clank. ]

         Chion: "Oh dear, young one, you should not have to see this."

         [Chion raises his hand and Fremea notices a nice Sapphire
          ring on his hand.  Chion lowers his voice and begins to
          mutter but in reality begins to cast a spell.  Fremea
          in a little kids voice replies.]

         Fremea: "Daddy,  your here!"

         [Fremea steps forward a couple feet and stumbles over the
          unconscious assassin and her hands move quickly to regain
          her footing as she stands up again.]

         Horseman: "Back away from the body now!"

         [As one horseman dismounts and draws his sword he starts
          to move toward the trio.]

         Horseman: "Comply!"

         [The guard raises his sword and steps a few more feet
          closer as Chion, Fremea and the Assassin disappear in
          a blue hue of light.]

         [The guard stops cold and stares at the empty area where
          a bit of blood and 2 daggers are only left.  The guard
          turns and looks at the horseman.]

         [The horseman curses and looks around for any sign of
          Chion and the other 2.  The third horseman speaks up.]

         Guard: "That kid...she had wings?"

         Horseman: "This isn't good.  Secure the back stairs. I'll

         [The rider turns the horse and heads back east around the
          building toward the front.]

         [Seconds before out front......]

         [Ben'dar growls back at the guard commander.]

         Ben'dar: "Yes, you're too late.  My friend just got attacked by
           an assassin in there. The assassin may still be nearby!"

         [The leader just stares back and enters the tavern.]

         [Ben'dar twirls back to the beggars who jump at his reaction.]

         Ben'dar: "These were part of the plot. They came in and
           provided distraction when the attack occurred!"

         [Ben'dar strides toward the beggars and looks normal but
          to anyone else its a threatening stance.]

         Ben'dar: "Who hired you to enter the tavern and cause a scene?"

         Beggar: "Some girl told us we should come here for some painting
           and other odd jobs for good money."

         [Ben'dar growls and tells the beggars to enter the tavern as
          the guards outside begin to surround the tavern on all sides.]

         [Back inside......]

         [The dangling commander tries to speak.]

         Leader: "Hey!  Let go! If anyone..." [cough] "...could help
           it would be Z'leyra!..let--"

         [Z'leyra and Arawn both hear this and look up quickly at the
          name of the healer.  How could this man know it?  Raban
          suddenly comes to his senses not sure how he got into this
          mess but only seemed to react to instinct he slowly puts
          the man down and back away with hands outward.  The guards
          stop moving as the leader grabs his throat.]

         [Suddenly Unali's body begins to twitch and Z'leyra looks
          down to the dead Unali.  Arawn begins to speak the words
          to negate the poison but Z'leyra raises a hand as she
          checks Unali's pulse and finds a weak one.  Suddenly
          Unali begins to cough and in reflect rolls on her side
          and coughs up a black vicious liquid onto the ground.
          Arawn backs away not wanting it on his nice clothes.]

         [Unali begins to open her eyes and cough one last time
          and then rolls onto her back.  Weak she stares up at
          the table and at Z'leyra and Arawn.]

         [Unali tries to sit up but at first fails.  Raban comes
          over and physically pushes the table full of food 4 feet
          to the west.  He leans down and helps Unali sit up.
          With a tear from the pain and body reactions Unali checks
          her neck to find dried blood but no dart or wound.  She
          starts to sit up with help from Raban who with his large
          hands acts like a chair.]

         [Ben'dar enters the tavern with the beggars and pushes them
          to a side table to sit down.  Ben'dar then notices
          Unali trying to sit up and grins.]

         [With a raspy voice Unali speaks to Z'leyra.]

         Unali: "You're a superb healer as always. I guess I am not
           much help today." [She pauses.  Raban and Ben'dar help
           Unali stand up.  She loses her balance and stumbles but
           Raban catches her easily.  They help her to a chair to
           sit. The guard leader comes over as Unali eyes the
           situation over not seeing Kaylle, Chion and Fremea.]

          Unali: "Or lately for that matter. We must have missed one
            when rounding up ..."

          [Guard leader smiles and nods.]

          Leader: "Yes.  I'm sorry Unali."

          [The guard from the rear enters the tavern and walks
           up to the leader and whispers.]

          Leader: [in a low voice] "That would be Chion and Thig
            I suspect.  Search the area." [Raises voice] "Continue
            to surround the area.  Call for help if needed from
            the Thatcher street garrison.  Then start to move these
            citizens over there and there to the back so we can
            talk here."

          [Arawn stands.]

          Arawn: "Z'leyra, I'll be right back. Let me know if the
            potion doesn't seem to be working."

          [Arawn then turns to Raban who only identified himself as
           a Kalu person.]

          Arawn: "Perhaps you can assist my friend until I return."

          [Kaylle now on the second floor gets tot he balcony and
           looks down.  He suddenly stops seeing all the new people
           and Unali holding her head. He begins to jump off the
           balcony and fly down to the ground.]

          Kaylle: "What is going on--whoa!"

          [Raban reacts again on instinct thinking this form moving
           toward them is the assassin he grabs Kaylle by one leg
           and jerks.  Kaylle gives a muffled grunt as Raban pulls
           the short 4 foot person to him and onto the ground.]

          Cholan: "Whoa!  He's good!"

          [Raban realizes this short person must not be a threat
           and releases him blushing slightly.]

          Kaylle: "Wow.  I go to my room for something and come back
           and all heck breaks loose.  What is going on?"

          Leader: "Wait if your Thig where is Chion?"

          Kaylle: "Excuse me?  I'm Kaylle not Thig."

          [The other 2 guards moves the family and other citizens
           to the rear of the tavern along with the bar maids.
           The man who was thrown from the bar gets splashed with
           water by the tavern owner and he gets to his feet behind
           the bar.  He looks around and sees Raban and raises
           a fist.]

          Man: "How dare you! I shou--" [He notices blood dripping
           from his nose and places a hand to it and then notices
           the blood on his hand.  The man faints with a thud behind
           the bar.  Raban sighs.]

          [Ben'dar comes to the passed out messenger and throws
           water on him and slaps him lightly to wake him.  But
           the man is well knocked out.  As he does he turns
           to Raban.]

          Ben'dar: "Who are you?"

          [Arawn walks over to the dart and bit of blood.  He
           examines the dart without touching it for a few
           seconds.  Arawn then starts to reach out for the
           dart but a voice stops him.]

          Leader: "Don't do that.  Some poisons can be contact
            poison as well.  Plus we'll need that for evidence
            and for the priest to use for any future convictions
            without you touching and tainting it.  Please leave it
            alone."

          [Meanwhile in the city of Maren where Chion has his home
           Chion, Fremea and the knocked out Assassin teleport inside
           his house.  Fremea still not used to the feeling moves
           away from Chion and looks around the darkened room.  She
           notices a few books and scrolls strewn about with a
           suit of chainmail and crossbow in one corner.  not sure
           where she is she looks at Chion for direction.]

          [Chion stops the bleeding of his 2 minor wounds and
           feels weak likely from the poison from the chest
           wound.  He risks the poison and hopes he can resist it
           since he isn't dead yet. He checks the assassin over for
           hidden weapons and false teeth.  He then ties up the
           man onto a chair and tends to his wounds quickly.]

          [Within 2 minutes the man wakes up as Chion finishes
           cleaning up his chest wound.  The Assassin looks around
           but looks confused.]

          Assassin: "This is how it will be huh? No quick death.
            You and your...pet here think you can do things I've
            not been used to all my life?  Go for it.  My job
            is done and she is dead by now.  Release me and I'll
            give you money.  Business is business."

          [Chion stands and feels his knees weaken as he realizes
           his energy is ebbing away from the slow poison.  He
           found no vials of antidote on the man.  If only there
           was a person who could help with poisons but Z'leyra
           is over 115 miles away.]

          [Meanwhile back at the Tavern...]

          Leader: "...You people are weird.  One wears barbaric
            fangs or whatever they are.  One covers his face like
            a bandit.  One has wings...maybe all should be detained
            and questioned? Bandits do work a like."

          [he paces back and forth looking over the party assembled
           in front of him.  Moments before a report comes in that
           Chion could not be found anywhere.]

          Leader: "Your friend Chion..and the other one like him."
            [He points to Kaylle] "I thought was Thig but now I
            guess not.  Where are they?  He escaped with my
            prisoner and I want him back now.  If the man comes
            back dead Chion could be in a great deal of trouble."

          Cholan: "I'm sorry and who are you?"

          Leader: "I'm an associate of Duke Aren." [He speaks
            quietly so the other guards don't hear then a bit
            louder] "Commander of Sivas Garrison Detached City
            Guards." [But the party, those who know Aren, likely
            realize this man is from the intelligence service and
            the guard position his cover.] "Unali here helped
            the city with a recent problem.  One of the prisoners
            we interrogated early this morning revealed a person
            had escaped our round up.  As soon as we got further
            information we later learned he helped in part to
            get the ring leader's female partner" [the priestess
            Unali spoke of?] "to escape a day ago.  But it failed.
            In the chaos though we learned she signed on for Unali's
            death as revenge.  The man fled without being caught
            again.  The prisoner we interrogated this morning
            gave info of the plan and we sought out the location
            of Aren and Unali.  The Duke is back in Maren and
            we learned Unali was in town and likly here.  So
            we came here.  Just too late to warn anyone.  For
            that I'm sorry.  Took us too long to put the pieces
            of the plan together."

          [The story with the beggars seems to continue as they
           were hired by some girl maybe age 10 or 11 about 4
           foot tall to come here and paint.]

          Leader: "Typical trick of thieves and assassins.  They
            use some kid to hire someone else or as courier and
            then use distractions like them.  Course this guy
            was rather desperate to kill you here Unali.  Bold
            but desperate.  He didn't suspect no one could help
            with the deadly poison.  He underestimated."

          [He walks over to the dart and kneels down and sniffs it
           without touching.]

          Leader: "Krief poison. Very expensive and rare.  Fast
            acting if I'm not mistaken.  A good death poison that
            works in matter of ten seconds or so." [he stands
            and looks at the party.] "Again where do I find
            Chion?  I need my prisoner to question."

          [A groan is heard by the table and the messenger slowly
           wakes and raises up.  He sees Ben'dar and jerks back
           and then the towering Raban next time him and quickly
           gets to his feet and cowers.]

          Messenger: "Take it!  I knew I shouldn't have taken
            this job for my uncle!  First day get robbed and
            beat up!  Take it!" [He hands out his bag.]

          Guard Leader: "Son I suspect you were just in the wrong
            place at the wrong time.  Why did you come?"

          [Messenger looks to the man then the guards and seems to
           relax.]

          Messenger: "This mean here beat me up!  Arrest him!"

          [He points to Ben'dar.]

          Leader: "In the circumstances he was only defending himself."

          Messenger: "What!  Your not going to do anything!?"

          Leader: "I'm sure he'll say he is sorry. " [He glances and
            glares at Ben'dar then back at the messenger.] "We will
            need to check out your story but if your here by mistake
            you will be rewarded for your damages."

          Messenger: "Yea?  Like pain and suffering?  No nee for
            judges and all that?"

          Leader: "No.  We have enough evil to deal with as is without
            the law scholars to get involved."

          [The messenger relaxes and looks around.]

          Messenger: "Well in that case.  I have something here
            for Cheeorn Blades."

          Cholan: "Chion."

          Messenger: "Yes that's it.  Only for him.  Company policy."

          Leader: "No exceptions even for the Guard?"

          Messenger: "No exception some may be coded only for him.
            But I suppose I could turn it over to you for enough
            compensation I doubt I'll be doing this job tomorrow.
            Not with what I have to put up with."

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Friday...

        GM: Experience -

                Player       CEP       MEP    Expertise    Notes
                Ben'dar       1         -         2       Dagger - Fight
                Arawn         -        12         6       Healing Hand
                Raban         3         -         4       Hand to Hand
                Fremea        -        12         -       Not Listed
                Chion         -        12        13       Astral Web
                Chion         -        48        12       Teleport
                Chion         8         -         4       War Staff

            * Chion +1 EL War Staff.

        GM: Arawn - Still grab the dart?

            Chion - House is in Maren city not Sivas :)
               So the teleport had to be a EL6 one to get there
               over 115 miles away.  You continue to feel
               weak by the second.  Also telepathy can't be
               done over 115 miles sorry.  What questions and
               things do you do for the assassin?

        GM: Actions not done.  If action was not done that you planned
            or wanted don't feel back.  Some times the plot and other
            actions conflict.  There will be future chances for
            tons of experience for all.  :)  Its nothing personal.

        GM: Keep in mind the reality of who knows what.  No one
            knows where Chion went and Chion doesn't know what
            is going on in the tavern for example. I only started
            the teleport above since it wasn't requested to be
            private. :)