[pnpgm] Game Update #67 - File #343 - Party dries off

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Aug 19 08:43:36 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #67 in sequence (file #343)

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          Um...is Kiet dead...?  He's not on the map....(grin)   This is
          a bad, bad omen...

          Nope, haven't gotten Scott's emails.  I'm getting email from
          other players, but no updates either...checking...

          Sigh...for some reason scott was on a do not accept list...his
          emails were going straight to the 'delete' folder...at least
          they weren't fully deleted.  I killed that setting...

          Yes, the action is moot.
        GM: Ack.  Yes.  I forgot to mention you were hit by a falling brick
            and died. Nah.  Just forgot to add you to map.  I've learned my
            lesson on my spam filter.  I'm sure for years and years I lost
            tons of emails I needed to see.  Now I look it over every night
            and get maybe 1-3 good emails a week out of it.

                        -------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          " Plus would you as a player look good wearing 8 amulets and
          walking into a temple or castle?  You'd look insane. "

          Chion replies, "And your point would be....?"

          He's spent a lot of time trying to appear insane. Its an easy
          dodge of responsibility, after all. Plus he is a bit nuts, what
          with growing up killing people for a living. Or perhaps he simply
          has a certain moral flexibility you might say.

          "10 YEARS! Wow! Man! Where you been!"

          "I went into the army, afterwards I was recruited by a private
          outfit..." Etc...

          ps. Its still my contention that Transmutation can change any
          ONE thing to and ONE other thing. So a horse can change into a
          rock (the original example in the book). So can a dragon. But a
          castle has PARTS... and well, PARTS is PARTS. Option B is that
          transmutation only changes the chemical make-up and not the FORM.
          Because well, a horse to rock might still be a horse shaped rock?
          (I think in the book they said it could go both ways though, and
          well a rock shaped horse wouldn't be too useful).
        GM: Ack.  You realize it was my comments nothing to reply for Chion
            about. :)  It wasn't dialogue. I get your point on transmute and
            appreciate it.  I just have to sit and balance it out.  It can
            get greatly abused like some spells.  Problem is if players use
            it then so can the bad guys.  This is how balance works for me.
            So a plus for good side is plus for bad side on the same level
            of abuse.  Then suddenly players are frogs.  :)

                        -------------------------

        From Unali: [Re: Actions]
          On shadow magic:

          In the Shadow Magic article it explicitly says that Shadow
          Magic will work where shadows exist.

          <quote>
          Shadow Magic Restrictions
          1. Shadow Magic only affects creatures that cast a shadow.
          2. Shadow Magic only operates where shadow exists. If there are
             no shadows, Shadow Magic is impossible.

          I have always interpreted that that it wouldn't work in complete
          darkness (especially magical darkness) or complete light (magical
          light on number one, as light in most cases will imply shadows).

          A shadow sculpted amulet worn at the edge of a shirt or coat
          would fall at the (shadow) edge of that shirt or coat and could
          well exist. (If it is made permanent the point is moot, than in
          my opinion it will exist even if darkness or light powers are
          cast. It is permanent until dispelled.

          And casting shadow warriors should be possible where shadows
          exist. Around a campfire at night there are numerous shadows, so
          I don't see any point in casting the spell or bringing them into
          the visibility of the fire. (Inside the fire might be different,
          it is easy to argue that there are no shadows inside the fire.)
        GM: Ack.  I appreciate the info.  I have never really got into
            Shadow magics all that well and so its new to me beyond 4-5
            years of low level learning.  When I think of shadow I think of
            borderline.  Its hard to grasp (to me) that a object of "shadow"
            could exist in both light and dark.  I keep going to think its
            one or the other.  I have to train my brain to think otherwise.
            I've never known anyone to even run a shadow weaver or such to
            work with yet.  My brain keeps thinking that a apple of shadow
            (for example) seeing with a flashlight disappears.  But a
            flashlight still does shadow and maybe the apple twists around
            the light.  Its just a really hard concept at times. :)

                        -------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra takes a towel, saying "Thank you" to the metal butler.
          She steps back and spends a minute using the towel to dry herself
          and her equipment.

          As she dries herself she tells the party "I suspect that this
          metal...'butler' was created via a permanent form of the very
          powerful Balance spell 'Automata'. Do not get in a fight with
          it as only the creator of it can ultimately defeat it. While it
          could  be cut into little pieces, those pieces would reassemble.
          Even if  one can temporarily defeat it, it would be a terribly
          dangerous  opponent to have chasing you the rest of your life."

          She will ask the Butler "Is it permitted to cast non-damaging
          spells in this area?"
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <oops I forgot to reply to this>
          [Raban takes a towel and dries off, it would be bad manners to
          drip all over your hosts floors. Raban will watch over the ladies
          as well as he can, but perhaps there is no immediate danger here.
          A break would be nice... ]

          <Don't see any need to change Raban's default actions other than
          he will try not to kill things unless others make it clear that
          it is fine to do so. This is a problem in that Raban cannot hold
          back much if he is to protect others, yet hitting something more
          than once is likely to kill it if the first hit did not. I suppose
          fighting with more skill toward defense is about as close as he
          can get at this time.>

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands, 9 Miles up, Flying Island]

        [Time: 10:10am]

        [As the party enter and examine the large reception room they find
         the area is disorganized almost chaotic in its order. Most places
         have a standard layout.  Rooms here.  Hallways there. This seems to
         have one room there jutted out but the right area isn't matching.
         It is as if a architect just decided to plop the rooms out as he
         went.  Of course this may all confirm what Caladan said about space
         being a premium for a floating island must be true.  To bring up
         stone and furniture must have been a long and tasking experience.]

        [As Caladan takes the first white towel from the metal-man the storm
         outside seems to break out in worse noise of thunder.  The party
         notices thunder seems to bounce off the walls of the foyer area
         as if there are holes in the ceiling but none are seen.]

        [Z'leyra grabs a towel from the stern arms of the metal-man.  She
         steps back and begins to dry herself off as well as her wet
         equipment.  She nods at the butler and gives a faint smile.]

        Z'leyra: "Thank you."

        [The metal-man simply stands there like a statue and stares with
         its metal black eyes at the party seemingly at no one in
         particular.  Most in the party find it unnerving to be stared
         at as if one isn't there.]

        [As she dries her hair, taking her soaked helmet off briefly,
         she speaks to the party quietly.]

        Z'leyra: "I suspect that this metal...'butler' was created via a
          permanent form of the very powerful Balance spell 'Automata'. Do
          not get in a fight with it as only the creator of it can
          ultimately defeat it. While it could  be cut into little pieces,
          those pieces would reassemble. Even if  one can temporarily defeat
          it, it would be a terribly dangerous  opponent to have chasing you
          the rest of your life."

         [The party listens to Z'leyra and glance occasionally at the taunt
          looking metal-man.  Is that what it is or is it something entirely
          different?]

         GM: No one has posted disagreement on taking towels.

         [Caladan gives a towel to Arawn since he figures Arawn would not
          like so much to get near the metal-man.  Arawn tries his best to
          recall any form of being like this butler but doesn't seem to
          recall anything like him. Of course nothing like it would be found
          in his realms since it is metal.  He senses nothing from the metal-
          man not even emotions.  He wonders if it even has some form of
          intellect or is remotely controlled.  Arawn dries his clothes,
          sword and armor.  Unlike most human crude alloys he knows his
          armor and sword are not prone to quick decay from rust.  Arawn
          glances at the statue and senses magic from it but mainly keeps
          an eye out on the metal-man.  He waits to ensure there is any
          sign or hint of mannerism that might lead the party to their
          next situation or the metal-man's leader if he exists.]

         [Ben'dar cautiously grabs a towel after seeing the metal-man not
          seeming to care if a towel is taken or not.  Rain is not a big
          deal to a Zen'da.  He finds it amusing that Caladan would want to
          dry himself off.  Living on the open plains leads to a life in the
          elements.  Ben'dar figures it is just another indication that
          Caldan has become soft with his more civilized ways.  He finds the
          leathers are the most wet.  Yet his dragon armor is virtually dry
          with its scales seemingly to repel water itself.  Ben'dar studies
          the metal-man in a way to discover weak points or major drawbacks
          if combat were to happen.  The best bet are the limbs that might
          be cut off.  But cutting through pure metal with metal is
          difficult to near impossible.  it will take a bit more to damage
          this metal-man.]

         [As Caladan dries himself the firesnake comes out and Caladan dries
          the flying snake with loving hands.  As he dries his boots he
          speaks softly.]

         Caladan: "I find it odd the metal butler found us at the right
           time.  Either he was expecting us or heard us talking or there
           is magic to have warned him."

         [Chion not one for much baggage or equipment quickly dries off
          and finishes up with his hair, at least to the point of being
          mostly dry.  He hears what Z'leyra says but wonders about the
          conclusion.  He has seen creations by other wizards and they
          seem to be less stocky for lack of a better word.  Why build
          such a massive being to do nothing but open doors?]

         [Fremea steps back as the metal-man approaches with the towels. She
          has never seen such a huge source of metal before in one place.
          It seems to make her nervous.  She glances over at Chion who is
          near the butler.]

         Fremea: "Chion, would you be a friend and hand me a towel please?
           I am not really excited about getting too close to that metal."

         [Chion reaches for a towel and turns to toss it toward Fremea who
          catches it.  Fremea smiles back and nods thanks.]

         Fremea: "I thank you much."

         [The party finds it somewhat amusing to see Fremea spread her wings
          and like a dog shake them to clear the rain away.  Some have seen
          Thig do the same but it never fails to amuse.  Fremea looks for a
          spot to possibly use as cover in case of attack but finds nothing
          beyond the stairs way tot he right.  She knows that folks could
          come down it and make a poor hiding spot.  As she dries herself,
          which being her size not taking long, she stares at the statue for
          several long seconds and studies it.  She finds that suddenly she
          is drained and exhausted.  Not from some sudden magical attack but
          from simple activity.  Flying in the high winds was more draining
          than she thought.  Fighting as well was an endurance event that
          took strength away.  She finds this time in the reception area a
          bit uplifting as she tries to regain her full strength back.]

         [Kiet takes a towel and dries his clothing and hair off.  He makes
          sure his ropes are dry as best they can.  It would do no good  to
          have his ropes be used to capture only to slip due to being wet.
          Kiet glances left and right looking the place over.  As he dries
          his ropes he speaks a few words in Lemasan but no one seems to
          understand it.]

         [Raban takes a towel and goes over the events of the past few days
          in his head.  One minute he is playing in a nice tavern the next
          he is here high in the sky protecting women who seem to be able
          to take care of themselves.  He wonders what he has gotten into.
          Raban has played in a few noble houses before and knows how
          butlers are.  They are domesticated and docile.  He figures this
          metal-man to be the same.  But he also knows they can be loyal so
          keeps an eye on it.  He dries his clothing as best he can but
          being as big as he is takes a bit of time.  He wonders if he
          could even take the metal-man.  It would be like punching a metal
          door.  Could be quite painful.]

         [Unali glances at the doors, the walls, the ceiling and floors.
          All in an attempt to get tactical information for battle, escape
          and evasion.  As the others stare at the odd metal-man or the
          statue her time with Aren seems to wear off more and more.  She
          almost by reflex studies each item and each place as a tactical
          situation.  She knows on a dagger basis the metal-man couldn't be
          hurt likely.  But she finds it encouraging that there seems to be
          no ambush slits in the ceiling or walls.  Yet there is only one
          exit it seems out of this place.  She finds it odd there is no
          cultural references here like in most reception area.  No artwork
          like paintings or rugs.  Points that might lead to origin of the
          owners of this place.  The statue seems to be the only thing and
          beyond the strange disk it could be like any standard statue.  She
          keeps an eye out on the doors at the right and the stairs.  She
          learns the stairs would be the best place for folks to ambush the
          party.  But she relies on her dagger though sheathed to warn her
          of danger.]

         [Z'leyra puts her helmet back on and adjusts her body gear as she
          begins to dry her satchel.  She turns her head to the metal-man
          and speaks in Marentian.]

         Z'leyra: "Is it permitted to cast non-damaging spells in this
           area?"

         [Now that there are no towels left the metal-man lowers his arms.
          The gender is assumed male only that it is impossible to tell and
          most butlers are male.  The metal-man stares at Z'leyra as she
          asks her questions but does nothing.  Since it has no mouth it
          can't reply.  But surely it can nod its head or not?  For several
          long seconds Z'leyra wonders if he can even understand a verbal
          language.  Being a thousand miles from Marentia she even wonders
          if he can understand Marentian.]

         [As the party waits for the metal-man to do something you begin
          to adjust to the surroundings.  Smells, noises and senses are
          better attuned.  Scents of smoke, food, dust, dampness and soap
          seems to be nearby.  Warmth also is a warm welcome thing to
          finally have.  The temperature is drastically colder than on the
          surface and only arawn seems fully protected.  As limbs and
          fingers begin to re-adjust to normal room temperature the true
          nature of the cold outside begins to dawn on folks.  It is one
          thing to be cold from the rain but the winds and the sheer
          temperature is daunting.  Logic would dictate that either the
          candles are lit by magic automatically or there is more here than
          this metal-man.  It is unlikely he could reach up and light such
          things without bringing the chandelier down from sheer force of
          his frame.  No matter how much one dries themselves the cold wet
          feeling remains.  The important things like metal weapons and hair
          are best to dry.  But it is like getting out of a bath and not
          drying off.  Only so much can be done with a towel in a brief
          time.  Chances of cold are moderate but at least frost bite
          shouldn't be a issue at this point.]

        [Time: 10:12am]

        [Two minutes pass since first entering and most get to the point
         that almost-dry is better than being drenched.  The party soon
         finds that many are tired.  The lack of good breathing, the
         ear splitting effects of the height, the winds, the combats
         are all signs of exhaustion that seem to affect everyone.  Fremea
         finds it as if flying for 10 miles straight without rest.  Her
         body isn't tired but her endurance is drained.  The least tired
         of the party is Ben'dar who saw little combat and thus had to
         do little movements.  Adrenaline begins to stop from the bulk
         of the party though Z'leyra still has traces of it from her last
         encounter.  The party knows that when adrenaline slows down the
         body begins to shake and feel cold.  But the party doesn't know
         if its the weather, rain or adrenaline.]

        [The metal-man seems to stare for about 30 seconds then turns and
         walks toward the north.  With a rumble of a heavy load on stone
         it clanks.  It stops near the north door and turns around.  It
         turns his head to the door and then back at the party and raises
         a stiff hand toward the door.  Z'leyra is unsure if the metal-man
         understood her or doesn't want to react.]

        Actions/ Comments?

        Next Update...Friday...

        GM: Small update but as I said at this point they will be small
            and slower to give full reaction time.

        GM: Doors - Entering I did it in random order last time.  But
            for future reference if you feel it important to go in
            certain order (1st, last, middle, etc.) into a door let
            me know.  If there is a future combat or dangerous situation
            I'll let you choose if able if not like an empty room then
            it'll be purely random if applicable.

        GM: Website has start of player map (just like below).  As always
            if map messes up (some email clients do tabs wrong) then see
            map on website.  The link is at the very bottom.  It'll be
            updated as explored with pretty much same detail as in the
            updates.  I may on purpose or accident leave details not
            in update in that file.  I won't list player positions in
            that map but only for combat situations list them in the
            update maps.  If combat were to happen of course. :)

        GM: Couple of you will get some emails in next day or two on
            some behind the scenes things. Stay tuned.  Too brain tired
            tonight to handle it.

  Legend -           North /|\
           1 Row    = 2 feet
           1 Column = 2 feet
                ° = Solid wall or earthen rock
           / or \ = Door
           ,,     = Stone Steps
           I      = Stone wall

  [1st Floor]

        [Ceiling here is about 10 feet high.]

                  1         2         3         4         5
         12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
        I                                                  I
        I            I_________/\_________I     I          I
        I                  I  M           /     I    I     I
        I                  I              \_____I    I     I
        I               A  I        $$               I     I
        I        \    ___/\I   N    $$               I     I
        I        /              B                    I     I
        I        I          C H Z R U   F             [[[..I

                           Main Door

     R - Arawn   B - Ben'dar    C - Caladan    H - Chion
     F - Fremea  N - Raban      U - Unali      Z - Z'leyra
     M - Bronze being          $$ - Statue
     K - Kiet