[pnpgm] Game Update #65a - File #336 - Recap/Notes

Wout Broere broere at powersandperils.org
Sat Aug 16 12:40:25 CEST 2008

On shadow magic:

>          [7-Magical items]
>          Haven't seen that written anywhere but if someone can point it
>          out I'll look it over.
>
>          Beyond that, the reason for this is that you've ruled that Shadow
>          magics dissipate in light, hence my shadow warriors couldn't step
>          within the light of a campfire to fight and ruling that Shadow
>          Sculpted items will disappear in daylight (even in the shadows of
>          daylit forest). This really limits Shadow magic as I'm not really
>          sure when it will work or where so I'm trying to figure out how to
>          craft a usable item with the spell.
>
>          I haven't seen rules that say Shadow magic breaks in light but
>          assume that it is a house rule. I'm cool with house rules but
>          it makes it difficult for me to gauge when to use Shadow magics
>          in the game.
>        GM: Ack.  Ok.  I have no clue if party is in a rush or not.  But
>            to take samples or trophies from that other snake. The thing
>            is the mythos of Shadows.  Shadow is the border between light
>            and dark.  They exist mostly in dark so disappear once light
>            hits shadow.  Ergo same for the magic.  To me it only makes
>            sense.  In fact I believe some of the spells indicate the same
>            thing.  But on the other hand some like Sculpt say they take
>            on normal appearance with work (normal wouldn't be shadow).
>            It would be solid.  As I would figure.  I'm no shadow expert
>            here but Shadow mages do work mostly in the dark of night and
>            can use magic quite well in the day as well with limited use.
>            Your idea of hiding the item under the clothes was well done.
>            It fits the rules I've defined.  It would still work just keep
>            in mind the light limit and duration of the spell.  I can follow
>            up later on other shadow ideas if you have some and clarify my
>            position on them.  I'm new to shadow magic as you are and still
>            learning.  Shadow isn't just a magic path its a definition of
>            light and dark.  So thank of it in that terms.  Think of it
>            as Fire not working in Water and Water not working in Fire. It
>            would be canceled out.  As a player I could figure out ways
>            around this light issue but it would take some nasty twisting
>            of spells and development.  I do seem to recall one spell
>            mentions the shadows lose form in light.  But I'd have to look.

In the Shadow Magic article it explicitly says that Shadow Magic will
work where shadows exist.

<quote>
Shadow Magic Restrictions
    1. Shadow Magic only affects creatures that cast a shadow.
    2. Shadow Magic only operates where shadow exists. If there are no
shadows, Shadow Magic is impossible.
</quote>

I have always interpreted that that it wouldn't work in complete
darkness (especially magical darkness) or complete light (magical light
on number one, as light in most cases will imply shadows).

A shadow sculpted amulet worn at the edge of a shirt or coat would fall
at the (shadow) edge of that shirt or coat and could well exist. (If it
is made permanent the point is moot, than in my opinion it will exist
even if darkness or light powers are cast. It is permanent until dispelled.

And casting shadow warriors should be possible where shadows exist.
Around a campfire at night there are numerous shadows, so I don't see
any point in casting the spell or bringing them into the visibility of
the fire. (Inside the fire might be different, it is easy to argue that
there are no shadows inside the fire.)