[pnpgm] Game Update #64 - File #317 - Snakes fly & Attack

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Mon Aug 4 06:00:47 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #64 in sequence (file #317)

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will fight the creature, attempting to kill it (fighting
          offensively) with her greatsword. If not in contact with it for a
          round she will grasp her amber in one hand to allow her to see...
          perhaps sneak up behind the creature to attack it...

          If nothing nearby she will clean and sheathe her greatsword, put
          away her amber and cast Orient Self EL0 on herself, followed by
          Darksight at EL5.
        GM: Ack.

                        ---------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea will have her daggers ready and start to fly towards where
          Z'lareya was heading (or for Corona if she hears her).
        GM: Ack.

                        ---------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <Was going to reply to Arawn but new update voided it and part
          of Arawn's post on bowl>

          [Raban is concerned but knows he cannot find her to help, so its
          best to stay with the others for now. Since he can see quite fine
          in the dark he continues to work on the potions so the wind wont
          blow it all away. With luck he should have time to finish before
          anything arrives.] <amber on right armband provides see in non
          magical darkness>

          <Depending on how far we get and what occurs, Raban may try to
          pour out a dose and offer it to someone nearby or take it
          himself.>
        GM: Ack. Can always reply to old stuff if it is important.
            Thanks for reminder on Amber.

                        ---------------------

       From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
         "I can't see a thing!  Can anybody?  If you can see, take one end
         of one of my ropes and lead the rest of us to safety!"
       GM: Ack.

                        ---------------------

       From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
         Arawn watched the growing storm with concern. He wondered if he
         could appease the air spirits enough to send the storm away but
         didn't know how the magics currently in effect would affect that
         nor how long it could take. Looking down at Raban he said,

         "Quickly! The storm is upon us and Z'leyra could be in trouble!"

         When the darkness descends and worrisome sounds come from deeper
         in the mist Arawn adds,

         "A rope is fine, Kiet. Chion, I don't know if you can or want to
         teleport to Z'leyra. If not I might be able to use magic to track
         her if someone has something she has touched recently, though I
         hope she has not wandered far."

         He calls out into the darkness,

         "Corona, if you can hear me, lead us to Z'leyra!" He will then
         repeat it in the Tonah Tongue just in case.

         OOC: The most recent samples were in update #60. Scales from the
         gargoyles for now and hair from the beasts. If there is a way to
         carry eyes or hearts in a container without leaking he'd have
         tried to do that. Giants were hair and, I believe, blood. Chimaera
         would be blood, hair, and poison if safe to do so and possible.
       GM: Ack. Problem is for all these samples you need containers.  I'll have
           to check if you have vials or such.

                        ---------------------

       From Raban: [Re: Actions]
         Raban sighs and says, "I am hurrying as fast as I can to finish
         this. I want to go rescue her as much as anyone, but we need a
         way to find her first. I can see and I can fly if needed, so find
         me a way to get to her and I will do so."

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands, 9 Miles up, Flying Island]

        [Time: 9:57:12am]

        [Arawn glances at the approaching storm mostly hearing the thunder
         and some shimmers of lightning in the east.  The winds have been
         picking up slowly over the last ten minutes as the air pressure in
         this place seems to be shifting.  Air moisture increases as well.
         Arawn considers trying to plead to the air spirits in this place
         or through other magic to stop the storm or at least slow it down.
         But that could take time and this storm is approaching fast.  Plus
         if his presence could be known to the air spirits here that might
         not like such a thing.  Arawn considers also that this place has
         to be protected by storms.  What fool would build a place that
         at this height would be hit by lightning strikes and high winds
         more than ground level sites?  Maybe the magical barriers will
         protect against some of the storm.  But then again who ever would
         use such a place could just raise above a storm?  Arawn considers
         all these things in a few seconds then turns back to the party just
         as the sun goes dark from an immense black storm cloud sending day
         into darkness.].

                ----------------------------------

        [Time: 9:58:02am]

        [Unali senses danger approaching and warns the others.]

        Unali: "Arawn, Fremea, Caladan, can you see a bit in this mess.
          There is a Chaotic aligned creature nearby, I can feel it. And
          that means that Z'leyra may need help. But I can't leave Raban
          until he is finished unguarded. I will stay here and try to keep
          him safe, you others go ahead."

        [Kiet grumbles to himself at the darkness then speaks.]

        Kiet: "I can't see a thing!  Can anybody?  If you can see, take one
          end of one of my ropes and lead the rest of us to safety!"

        [Arawn glances over his shoulder and listens to Unali then
         turns back toward Arawn and speaks quickly.]

        Arawn: "Quickly! The storm is upon us and Z'leyra could be in
          trouble!"

        [Arawn hears the calls of Corona and looks back over his shoulder
         to the others in the group.]

        Arawn: "A rope is fine, Kiet. Chion, I don't know if you can or want
          to teleport to Z'leyra. If not I might be able to use magic to
          track her if someone has something she has touched recently,
          though I hope she has not wandered far."

        [Raban continues to grind with his make do tools and grumbles at
         the attempt and at Arawn's rushed request.  Without looking at
         Arawn he sighs and replies.]

        Raban: "I am hurrying as fast as I can to finish this. I want to go
          rescue her as much as anyone, but we need a way to find her first.
          I can see and I can fly if needed, so find me a way to get to her
          and I will do so."

        [Arawn half listens to his reply as he considers his moves.  He
         knows that in this wet ground tracks are easy to see.  Z'leyra
         would surely have left good footprints.  It would only be a matter
         of following them and any simple tracker can do so.  He glances
         up to the air and tries to yell over the howl of the wind.]

        Arawn: "Corona, if you can hear me, lead us to Z'leyra!" [He will
          then repeat it in the Tonah Tongue just in case.]

        GM: Bsaed on my count of speaking the above took 22 seconds to
            occur and speak.  Yep talking takes time. :)  So I will now
            catch up Z'leyra's scene with 22 seconds (7 phases). Based on
            simultaneous actions Z'leyra fought for 2 phases (6 seconds).
            So this would be 22-6\16 seconds.  So will synch her scene with
            this one and do 6 phases of combat with Alex's permission.
            Sorry to be so detail oriented but that's me - a programmer and
            for mechanic purposes its needed.  I could fudge but for
            accuracy sake its easy to handle.

        [Time: 9:58:24am - End of above portion]

                ----------------------------------

        [Time: 9:58:08am - End of Z'leyra's last attack.]

        [The flying creature takes to the dark sky and up and around to
         the south around Z'leyra.  Taking this chance she reaches with
         her left hand and opens her satchel while holding the greatsword
         up in a defense posture.  She fumbles around for her amber resin
         piece in the satchel.]

        [The creature flies silently with an innate use of flight magic
         and begins to dive toward Z'leyra. It flies toward her right
         rear side (4 o'clock).  Three snake heads lung and bite but
         two heads miss targets entirely.  A third head does bite in her
         lower right back but her armor protects her.  Z'leyra continues
         to search for the resin as she twists but can't get a strike in
         with her sword as the creature flees.]

        [This time the snake changes side and comes in from Z'leyra's
         left front side (11 o'clock).  Two heads bite down.  The first
         bites just below her satchel and below her left ribs but the
         chainmail protects.  The other one that hits bites her left
         arm and she takes 1 more point of damage from the massive jaws.
         The third head fails to hit her entirely.  Z'leyra twists back
         around and tries to swing but her digging around in the satchel
         makes her one handed swing a bit weak and she misses.]

        [The creature flies up and turns around this time toward the same
         area as before.  Z'leyra's clairvoyance kicks in and she gets a
         brief warning and she raises her sword to block the attack this
         time with both hands.  All three snake heads bite down.  One head
         strikes her head but the blow doesn't penetrate her dragon scale
         helm.  Two bite center right and center left of her abdomen
         in her ribs and both penetrate through her chainmail doing
         2 more points of damage.  This time though Z'leyra gets a good
         glimpse of the creature and notice there are seven heads!  All
         hissing and moving in various directions.  She swings her sword
         up and tries to hit the creature. in the body doing 11 potions
         of damage.]

        [The creature in pain flies up and seems to consider its next
         move.  In this time Z'leyra finds relief and finally finds the
         amber stone.  She grabs it with one hand and the sword handle
         with both hands rather oddly.  She looks around and finds the
         creature to the east.  Now seeing in the dark she realizes the
         snake must be 35-40 feet long!]

        [The creature turns directly toward Z'leyra and dives again this
         time more upset.  Z'leyra readies her sword to fight back now
         seeing it clearly.  One head bites down on her right shoulder but
         fails to penetrate.  Two others again in the center left and
         center right.  The left one fails to penetrate but the right
         one again gets its fangs in for another point of damage.  As
         it turns the 40 foot tail wipes around and tries to hit her from
         the back right rear but does no damage.  Z'leyra swings her
         sword and hits in the long body doing 6 more points past its
         tough hide.]

        [Again the bold creature dives straight for Z'leyra in front of
         her and she prepares for it easily.  The three heads lunge down
         again and strike in random places.  The first clamps down on
         her chest middle left ribs and pulls back bringing blood through
         the chainmail for a 3 point wound.  The second bites in the
         neck but fails to penetrate.  The third in the left shoulder
         but also fails to penetrate.  With a grunt of pain and strength
         Z'leyra thrusts and stabs the creature again in another portion
         of the long body and does 8 points of damage to it.]

        [The snake this time comes to her right front side but Z'leyra
         twists a bit to protect that side.  The three heads lunge out. The
         first bites down on her left shoulder, second misses and third
         where she previously took the 3 point hit in the ribs.  But all
         three fail to penetrate and give damage.  Z'leyra swings her sword
         and suddenly it goes flying out of her hand.  The sweat, moisture
         and the odd holding of amber and sword causes her to fumble the
         sword.  The large great sword goes flying a couple feet away along
         with her amber stone.  Darkness fades around her as she curses her
         luck.]

        [Time: 9:58:24am - End of above portion.]

                ----------------------------------

        [Time: 9:58:10am]

        GM: Now the two groups are synched up.  But now to handle the
            chase of snake and Corona.

        [Corona is faster than the large snake and he knows it.  He is
         more agile and could probably survive quick hit and raid
         attacks on the lengthy snake.  But knows it might not last
         long without help.  The smarter than average eagle decides
         to go toward the other group in the south.  The eagle dives,
         raises, jukes and flaps as hard as he can in the winds around
         him.  Flying blind he loses sight of the snake behind him but
         assume it is still there.]

        [Time: 9:58:20am]

        [Corona hears Arawn yell out and uses it as a guide to pinpoint his
         course.  In the few seconds he has crossed a few hundred feet
         and now seems to be only 80-90 feet from the group.  He
         continues southward and flies over the group.]

        [Time: 9:58:24am - End of above portion.  Corona flies over
         Arawn just as the group finishes their own scene.]

                        --------------------

        [Time: 9:58:24am]

        GM: Now there are two distinct groups and on same timeline.  Corona
            has just flown over the group.  He gives a squawk but no one
            understands him.  In order to help move the situation
            along I will do one more phase.

        [Caladan waves his hand and a bush on the ground bursts into
         flames from a combustion spell.  The light of the bush gives
         those who can't see suddenly a good view of the area.  Mist
         and clouds still block most view though.]

        [Corona flies over the party and into the darkness further south.]

        [Fremea who grabbed her daggers took the air just seconds ago and
         now hearing Arawn and the Eagle make noise circle back toward
         the group thinking the Eagle could lead them to Z'leyra.
         That is when she notices the 40 foot snake with 7 small heads
         flying past her.]

        [The shape of the snake approaches and bursts from a cloud of
         darkness into the bush light of the small fire.  It now sees
         the group and decides on a target.  It decides Arawn looks nice
         and juicy.  Three heads lunge at the Elf and two fail to hit
         but he raises his shield up in time to block one head as it
         slides down the shield.  Arawn grunts at the hefty impact
         of the small head and its weight behind it.  The snake coils
         and loops through the group's direction a few feet above.]

        [The firesnake around Caladan's neck hisses at the larger snake
         but doesn't attack knowing it would be like an ant taking on
         Raban in futile attempt.]

        [Raban hears the smack of the shield and looks up to see the
         snake go over him and ducks instinctively and grumbles at the
         timing of this situation.  He continues toward his goal.  Now
         that there is light he notices the mush in the container seems
         ready enough to put into the wine.]

        [Unali draws both daggers and standing behind Raban lunges at
         the 40 foot flying snake.  Her magical dagger hits the large
         beast in the body and digs a hole doing 3 points past the tough
         scales.  But the second normal dagger fails to hit.]

        [Ben'dar rushes forward and swings his pike at the flying snake.
         The pike takes a large chunk of its body flesh and does a huge
         13 point strike to it past its scales.]

        [Arawn twists and thrusts upwards at the fleeing body with his
         magical sword.  The sword slides down the bottom side of the
         snake slicing flesh doing 6 points of damage to it.]

        [Chion lunges for the snake but it twists out of its sai range
         just as he gets close.]

        [Caladan swings his staff at the creature but fails to hit it
         as it continues out of sight.]

        [Time: 9:58:30am - End of above portion.]

                        --------------------

        [Time: 9:58:24am]

        [The snake dives toward Z'leyra's right side and all three snakes
         lunge out but all three fail to hit any of her body.]

        [Z'leyra ducks to the ground and begins to move back and forth
         with her feet to try and find the sword or amber stone.]

        [The snake comes directly in front of her and she raises up and
         tries to dodge the creature while grabbing her staff.  Two
         snake heads lunge at her left arm and chest but fail to penetrate
         past her armor.  The 3rd head fails to hit.  Her left foot finds
         the amber stone and she grabs it and can suddenly see back into
         the darkness and spots her sword.]

        [Time: 9:58:30am]

        GM: Both groups Z'leyra/Snake and Snake/others are a the same
            second 8-9 phases after this combat has pretty much started.
            Normally my rule is 2 phases of combat.  But since distance
            was involved and timing of dialogue I went ahead and got
            both groups into the same timeline.  I hope this is acceptable
            for this situation.  :)  If I hadn't done it to synch the time
            the Raban group would have to wait for 3-4 updates just to
            catch up to Z'leyra's time after all that talking.  :)

        Actions/ Comments?

        Next Update...Friday...

        GM: Sigh.  Major goof.  Last update had odd time marks.  Went from
            940 to 920s.  Gee.  We went back in time. :< The time is fixed
            for this update and if needed can be used to backtrack from the
            top time (9:$0) in the last update.  The Dwarves were using the
            Lower World Sidh Clock rather than the Katai time clock.  So
            their fault!

        GM: For those who can't see there is now the burning bush for light.
            It might not last long though.

        GM: Arawn   - Defend Raban?
            Ben'dar - Assume pike attack.
            Chion   - Assume sai attack.
            Fremea  - Didn't attack above since your size and the snake's
                      size might be intimidating.  Let me know if you
                      do go after Z'leyra to help or to this snake.
            Kiet    - Any actions?
            Unali   - Assume normal dagger attacks.
            Raban   - Mix Potion might take 1-2 phases.  Anything else
                      action wise after it?
            Z'leyra - Can get sword next phase but be careful of the
                      fumble chance as I warned in ICQ. :<

        GM: Hope doing the 8 or 9 phases of action is acceptable in this
            case.  In order to get both groups at the same second of
            time.  Even if Fremea or Arawn ran at full speed it would
            still take them more time to get to Z'leyra.  Will do only
            2 phases for next update unless the snakes are both about to
            die then might as well finish them off.  Both snakes are
            wounded at this point.

        GM: Arawn I got your new post on Tracking.  But see above. Past
            evidence and the boot tracks of her is enough for any even
            lightly trained tracker to follow.  So using magic and such
            might be waste.  But at this time your group is being attacked.
            So you might want to change your newest post actions?  If so
            let me know.  If not will follow through but the speech might
            take up the next 2 phases of combat.  I appreciate the early
            action posts. :)

Where's Sam Jackson when you need him? "Who let these snakes..." (movie reference...)