[pnpgm] Game Update #63 - File #310 - Raban starts potions..

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Aug 1 05:57:35 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #63 in sequence (file #310)

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <Odd I thought the blesses had expired already, I must have
          miscounted the days. Doesn't hurt to extend one.>

          Raban (to Unali): "Thank you for the wine, Angelica potions are
          not difficult to make once you have the required materials. I
          have enough of the plant to make 16 doses which would need 2
          quarts of fine wine."

          Raban (to Caladan): "Yes with all the strange magics we have been
          running into, it would be best to make some defensive potions.
          Angelica is one of the best for defending against magic. It is
          also excellent at restoring lost Life Energy."

          [Raban opens his vast backpack and searches for a little while,
          before he sighs.}

          Raban: "Sometimes I am such an idiot. Not only did I forget to
          bring the wine but I forgot to pack a mortar and pestle to grind
          the plant with. I found the list I wrote to remind me I needed to
          order some small flasks to put the finished potions in, another
          thing I forgot to do. So we have the primary ingredients, but we
          need the tools and containers to finish it. The doses need to be
          carefully measured as too much can be poisonous. That is why I
          wanted the small flasks, so that each dose would be separately
          stored. Once it is made, I will need to measure the dose for each
          person in a cup. The remainder can be kept in a wine skin, though
          it must not be drank from by mistake!"

          Raban (to Z'leyra), "Z'leyra, do you have a way to grind the
          angelica in your medical supplies and tools? If you do, it will
          not take long to make the potions."

          <The big question is.... did I plan the forgetfulness or not? LOL.
          Actually Raban is slightly smarter than the average peasant.>
        GM: Ack.  No your right two blessings did expire awhile back. But
            There was a 3rd (on you) still active.

                        ----------------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          After Raban gives his blessing and she feels it flowing around
          her, "Thank you, I do not mean to offend, it is just that your
          size reminds me much of others that harmed me long ago and I have
          to remember you are not like that."

          Fremea has a small smile on her face after seeing how well she
          finally has gotten her arrow spells to work and to use it on such
          a fine beast. This creature intrigues her and she goes to inspect
          it. (Using her 'knowledge' to recall any info about uses from the
          creature - if so, she will take what she can). It just seems a bit
          out of place in the world, almost like her.

          "I believe that the potions will be of importance as we move
          forward. Though I do not have the knowledge that the others do, I
          can see much magic being an issue here." Fremea will pick up the
          lead again when everyone is ready.
        GM: Ack.  Chimeara has no natural magical animal by-products.

                        ----------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          > After Raban gives his blessing and she feels it flowing around

          "Thank you, I do not mean to offend, it is just that your size
          reminds me much of others that harmed me long ago and I have to
          remember you are not like that."

          Raban looks concerned as he replies to Frema, "I have learned to
          overcome most of the problems my size gives me, especially how to
          be tender with women. Most would not think such would be a
          problem, but for someone who can easily crush bones, even stone,
          in his hands it took a lot of skill. Fortunately my acrobatics
          training aided my learning such fine control over my strength. I
          would never injure anyone by accident, especially a woman. But
          there are those that enjoy hurting others, such people need to be
          punished. If you want my help to punish the ones who hurt you, I
          will do so gladly."
        GM: Ack.

                        ----------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Telling the others of Corona's report as Z'leyra briefly
          considers casting Oblivion on the corpses of the chimeara and
          Beast to save their parts for later use in enchantments she
          decides to go ahead and quickly readies her staff and casts
          Oblivion on it and again on the Beast at EL0 telling the others
          what she is doing.

          To make use of the Concealing Mist before it goes away and to
          avoid having the others bothered by the mist she will then head
          towards the wall telling the party she will scout ahead and for
          them to follow the mist. As she strides onwards she again puts
          away her staff and keeps her greatsword at the ready. She will
          try to be alert to potential enemies and fresh tracks.

          Replying to Raban Z'leyra says "We shall have to improvise. One
          of the stones at the wall and a dagger should work adequately if
          one is careful."
        GM: Ack.

                        ----------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Reply to Z'leyra]
          > Replying to Raban Z'leyra says "We shall have to improvise.

          Raban smiles and says, "Then improvise it will be. I just need to
          minimize what else could get mixed in and be careful not to loose
          any. So a stone wall and dagger would not be the best. Perhaps
          someone brought a strong pot or bowl? I left what I had behind to
          reduce weight.  I could use a small sharpening stone and a dagger
          hilt as long as I had something like a bowl to ketch the
          grindings. Actually any hard fairly smooth surface could be used
          to grind against. A mortar and pestle are just better due to their
          smooth easily cleaned surfaces and matching hardness so you don't
          chip. Metal to metal may be best with what we have as that should
          not flake into the mix. Maybe an unlined shield could be used if
          there are no bowls."
        GM: Ack.

                        ----------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          "I fear my magic might not be enough for what's needed here but
          if you'd like to try...," Arawn replied to Caladan, a grin on his
          face. "Still, when we've gathered more information then freeing
          the air spirits here and ending the potential threat the castle
          represents could be an option. As for speaking with the spirits,"
          Arawn looked around, "I could do it now if everyone wants and if
          there is a specific question in mind but if no one is in a hurry
          it might prove more useful once we've gathered a bit more
          information and have a safe place to perform it."

          Unless the group wants Arawn to cast the spell now he'll wait
          until they are in a more secure spot.
          "By any chance has their inner power been called forth? Are they
          enhanced?"
          When Z'leyra offers to lead the way Arawn will follow after her
          and Fremea, offering to guide the others through the mist if needed.

          Arawn will take samples from the chimaera and when Z'leyra mentions
          using the Oblivion spell he speaks up.

          "A good idea. I have already gathered samples from all the creatures
          but had hoped to study them in detail but was not sure how best to
          go about that. With your permission I'd love to share and study
          the creatures when they have been freed from you spell."
        GM: Ack. Samples?  From other creatures.  Don't recall seeing that.
            Since samples are vague words I just assume hair unless told
            otherwise.

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands, 9 Miles up, Flying Island]

        [Time: 9:46am]

        [Minutes earlier when Raban Blesses Fremea after her reaction to
         the giant's laying on hands.  She glances down and sees the
         blessing flow through her in a faint blue aura.  She then glances
         up and speaks to Raban.]

        Fremea: "Thank you, I do not mean to offend, it is just that your
          size reminds me much of others that harmed me long ago and I have
          to remember you are not like that."

        [Raban's face shows concern as she replies and now he understands.
         Of course he forgot about that part of her life.  Little he truly
         knows of her there was some mention of her being a slave at one
         point by her or someone else.]

        Raban: "I have learned to overcome most of the problems my size
          gives me, especially how to be tender with women. Most would not
          think such would be a problem, but for someone who can easily
          crush bones, even stone, in his hands it took a lot of skill.
          Fortunately my acrobatics training aided my learning such fine
          control over my strength. I would never injure anyone by accident,
          especially a woman. But there are those that enjoy hurting others,
          such people need to be punished. If you want my help to punish
          the ones who hurt you, I will do so gladly."

                        --------------------------

        [Time: 9:51am]

        [After Raban grab's the wine skin from Unali he sniffs it and finds
         it in good condition.  He smiles and replies back to her.]

        Raban: "Thank you for the wine, Angelica potions are not difficult
          to make once you have the required materials. I have enough of
          the plant to make 16 doses which would need 2 quarts of fine
          wine."

        [Raban places the wine skin on the ground and digs through his
         large backpack of equipment.  He listens to Caladan talk about
         the magics around the place and replies.]

        Raban: "Yes with all the strange magics we have been running into,
          it would be best to make some defensive potions. Angelica is one
          of the best for defending against magic. It is also excellent at
          restoring lost Life Energy."

        [Caladan looks to the east to the sound of the approaching storm.]

        Caladan: "Good also for some morning wine.  But we must hurry if we
          are to do this.  I rather not be caught in the open like this with
          a storm with wind and lightning at this height. It would be like
          being in the middle of a lightning swarm." [He looks back to the
          party] "You must have noticed the creatures we've encountered
          have all been flying ones through magic or natural means.  So
          I doubt there are any land based creatures here.  For all we
          know these creatures could've just found this place and settled
          here for some reason long ago."

        [Raban listens almost absent minded and sighs at his quick
         search of his materials.]

        Raban: "Sometimes I am such an idiot. Not only did I forget to
          bring the wine but I forgot to pack a mortar and pestle to grind
          the plant with. I found the list I wrote to remind me I needed to
          order some small flasks to put the finished potions in, another
          thing I forgot to do. So we have the primary ingredients, but we
          need the tools and containers to finish it. The doses need to be
          carefully measured as too much can be poisonous. That is why I
          wanted the small flasks, so that each dose would be separately
          stored. Once it is made, I will need to measure the dose for each
          person in a cup. The remainder can be kept in a wine skin, though
          it must not be drank from by mistake!"

        [Raban turns to the white wall like concealing mist he can't
         see through and speaks a bit louder toward Z'leyra.]

        Raban: "Z'leyra, do you have a way to grind the angelica in your
          medical supplies and tools? If you do, it will not take long to
          make the potions."

        [As Raban talks about making potions Fremea places her bow back onto
         her back strap and lands near the strange creature.  She beams with
         a smile of satisfaction. She examines the goat head and notices ice
         crystals on the strange skin where the arrow hit him and did the
         cold damage.  She circles around the beast and can see through
         Z'leyra's spell clearly.  She is confused by the likes of this
         beast but finds it a oddity in a world where order seems normal.
         A oddity set apart from other creatures and reminds her of her
         place in life.  She hasn't heard of any natural by-products this
         beast could handle and Z'leyra doesn't seem to mention anything.]

        [Z'leyra turns from Corona and tells the party of Corona's report
         of a possible structure some distance away.  She then sheaths her
         magical great sword and grabs her staff.  She explains to the
         others she is going to put the body into an oblivion zone and
         warns Fremea to step back.  Fremea leaps up and heads toward Raban
         and the others.  She grabs her staff and prepares to cast Oblivion.
         The first spell goes off but the Chimeara remains in place.  She
         grumbles and recasts the spell on the creature again but the
         Oblivion again fails.  Either it is this place of magical purified
         ground or just bad luck.  But Z'leyra knows that capturing large
         creatures like this takes extra care.  Capturing a dragon for
         example in Oblivion is difficult.  She turns and places her staff
         back onto her hip and readies her great sword.]

        [Arawn considers the use of Oblivion for the creatures and replies
         as she attempts to do so.]

        Arawn: "A good idea. I have already gathered samples from all the
          creatures but had hoped to study them in detail but was not sure
          how best to go about that. With your permission I'd love to share
          and study the creatures when they have been freed from you
          spell."

        [Z'leyra hears Raban and Caladan talk about potions and lack of
         good materials.]

        Z'leyra: "We shall have to improvise. One of the stones at the wall
          and a dagger should work adequately if one is careful."

        [Raban looks to the white mist unable to see Z'leyra but hears her
         voice in the howl of the wind that seems to have suddenly picked
         up in the last few moments.  Raban smiles and nods.]

        Raban: "Then improvise it will be. I just need to minimize what else
          could get mixed in and be careful not to loose any. So a stone
          wall and dagger would not be the best. Perhaps someone brought a
          strong pot or bowl? I left what I had behind to reduce weight.  I
          could use a small sharpening stone and a dagger hilt as long as I
          had something like a bowl to ketch the grindings. Actually any
          hard fairly smooth surface could be used to grind against. A
          mortar and pestle are just better due to their smooth easily
          cleaned surfaces and matching hardness so you don't chip. Metal
          to metal may be best with what we have as that should not flake
          into the mix. Maybe an unlined shield could be used if there are
          no bowls."

        [Fremea is surprised with all the herbalists in this group no one
         has the proper tools it seems.  She speaks up on the idea of making
         potions.]

        Fremea: "I believe that the potions will be of importance as we move
          forward. Though I do not have the knowledge that the others do, I
          can see much magic being an issue here."

        [As Raban continues to dig in his pack for stuff to use Arawn
         approaches alongside Caladan.  He considers Caladan's offer to
         check out the edge of this place and the magics that seem to
         keep it going.  After a few careful thoughts he replies.]

        Arawn: "I fear my magic might not be enough for what's needed here
          but if you'd like to try...," [Arawn replied to Caladan, a grin
          on his face.] "Still, when we've gathered more information then
          freeing the air spirits here and ending the potential threat the
          castle represents could be an option. As for speaking with the
          spirits,"  [Arawn looked around,] "I could do it now if everyone
          wants and if there is a specific question in mind but if no one
          is in a hurry it might prove more useful once we've gathered a
          bit more information and have a safe place to perform it."

        [Caladan looks to the moving white mist and sighs.]

        Caladan: "Z'leyra is leaving us which means we don't have much
          time so I doubt talking to spirits is in the cards for now."

        [Arawn leans down and asks about the angelica plants.]

        Arawn: "By any chance has their inner power been called forth? Are t
          hey enhanced?"

        [Raban nods as he considers his materials at hand.]

        GM: This is where it gets complicated.  Z'leyra has decided to
            go scout ahead using her Concealing Mist duration as cover.
            She has decided to do so immediately leaving the party doing
            potions behind.  So I have to coordinate this by the second
            to unite each group into a cohesive timeline. :)  This is where
            separation in the group leads to issues but I can overcome. :)

        [Z'leyra re-explains her plan to scout ahead.  She considers going
         after the beast and using Oblivion on it but it is a minute or
         two in the other direction.  She decides to continue on the way
         Corona has told her is the wall.  His estimation of distance
         in this weather can't be all pin-point so she hopes it is close.]

        [The Mist follows her northward leaving the party southward of
         her and Corona flies and circles around her.  She moves slowly
         at a snail's pace to ensure she doesn't suddenly find herself
         falling 9 miles downward.  She slowly steps forward feet by feet.]

                        ---------------------------

        [Time: 9:21:00am]

        [Raban places the materials in front of him.  One of the enhanced
         angelica small plants.  A dagger.  Unali's wineskin which will be
         used for the potions.  He sighs at the thought of leaving his spoon
         and bowl down below.  Caladan leans down after going through is own
         bag and gives Raban a bowl, cup, plate and spoon for mixing.  Raban
         smiles at the wizard but Caladan's face shows a bit impatience as
         he looks around.]

        Caladan: "Hurry this storm is approaching fast."

        [Raban then looks but finds that he has nothing to put the finished
         product in.  He'll have to mix it directly into the wine skin
         for now and use the cup to measure the potions out. He grabs the
         angelica and rips off the leaves and takes the dagger hilt to
         start to grind it hard with his brute strength.  As he does
         the wind begins to pick up even more and thunder is further heard
         to the east.]

                        ---------------------------

        [Time: 9:23:00am]

        [Two minutes later and Raban grunts as he grinds and grinds.
         He asks Arawn to watch him as his Herbalist skill is more for
         the erotic arts than making potions.  Arawn should know enough
         to how to handle this.  Arawn watches and gives suggestions
         but feels he should be following Z'leyra.]

        [Z'leyra continues slowly north and gets a nudge or two from
         Corona as he circles overhead.  Z'leyra could run forward
         but rather be careful and alert.]

                        ---------------------------

        [Time: 9:24:17am]

        [The sun suddenly in the east fades from view as a dark black
         cloud overwhelms it.  Day becomes night all around as now
         visibility goes down to inches for those without night or good
         vision like the sidh.]

                        ---------------------------

        [Time: 9:25:02am]

        [After Z'leyra estimates going 480 or so feet she suddenly hears
         flapping coming back toward her.  She recognizes the wings of
         Corona and looks up to see darkness.  She considers getting
         her amber out of her satchel so she can see in the darkness or
         light a torch.  Corona's snow white form flies directly over
         her by 2 feet and yells "Run!" in the eagle language.]

        [Z'leyra raises her great sword and gets a twinge of alertness
         from her clairvoyance as something comes straight after Corona.
         It is small but long it seems.  Suddenly out of the darkness
         it attacks.  The attack is a blur but it seems to be some kind
         of flying snake?  Three snake heads lunge out of several more
         from a large front section and attack.  One lunges at her upper
         left chest but fails to penetrate her chainmail, the second
         hits in the center of her center chest but also fails to bite
         through.  But the third clamps down on her right arm and does
         1 point of damage to Z'leyra.]

        [The flying creature jerks up and tot he side of Z'leyra and flees
         the area.  But Z'leyra swings her magical sword and hits the body
         of the snake which seems rather long in fact and takes a chunk of
         flesh with it.  But she notices big resistance in the body from
         natural armor.]

        [Z'leyra can hear Corona far behind her in the darkness flying
         away from her and seeming to indicate one creature is on it.
         Corona flies south toward the others to warn them.  At the
         same instant Corona flies over Z'leyra and warns her Unali's
         ruby necklace warns her of the incoming attack.  She draws her
         dagger up and looks around in the darkness.  She feels the
         attack is soon to come.  She warns the others quickly of a
         possible attack from somewhere unknown.  All but Raban stand
         and prepare weapons as they hear in the north about 400 feet
         away a faint squawk of a eagle.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update....Monday....

        GM: Guess no comments on Dispesion huh? :)

        GM: Don't forget to read the Recap section at top to see if
            your actions have comments as always. :)

        GM: Player Status -

               Player       Energy Level Status     Hit Point Status
              Arawn                 100%             100%  [Full]
              Ben'dar               100%             100%  [Full]
              Caladan               100%              86%  [Light]
              Chion                  93%             100%  [Full]
              Fremea                100%             100%  [Full]
              Kiet                  100%             100%  [Full]
              Raban                 100%              77%  [Moderate]
              Unali                 100%              92%  [Light]
              Z'leyra               100%              97%  [Light]

            Note: Energy Level - percentage of max Enl.  Same for HPV.
            There is a link on the website that has a tally of folks
            healings for the day.

        GM: Mana Status

                            Mana Level    Daily Limit   Up to Point
               Player         Status         Status        Status
              Arawn            87%             87%           73%
              Caladan          90%             92%           90%
              Chion            91%             80%           86%
              Fremea           61%             54%           25%
              Kiet             65%             53%           39%
              Raban            83%             91%           83%
              Z'leyra          81%             39%           ---

              Note: Mana Level Status - This is CA (Casting Ability) plus
              any aids (staffs, etc.).  With this total the listed figure
              is the % of that total.  For example 100 CA and cast 20 for
              the day then 80% would be figure.  This figure is for the
              present day.  Daily limits is the daily limit for each MU
              (Energy Level) and based on number of mana cast that day.
              So Energy Level 100 and cast 30 points that day your at
              70% of your daily limit.  The last column is Up to this
              point figures for mana cast up to this point.  This figure
              may differ from first column.  It is total mana cast up to
              the present day and past days if did so.  Based on CA and
              mana cast.  So CA is 120 and cast 60 points in the last 3
              days then your at 50%.

        GM: Here is the situation.  Darkness has fallen due to the storm
            nearby.  Naked eye vision is down to maybe a foot at best
            at worst a few inches.  For sidh and those with good night
            vision its better maybe 5 feet.  For those who might have
            magical night vision aids then darkness is not a issue but
            just the clouds/mist are with visibility of a few feet.  So
            either way seeing is difficult.  Z'leyra is about 480 feet
            away from the other party.  She is alone.  She can't quite
            see clearly at this point the creature attacking her or the
            second (or first?) following Corona.  Unali has detected
            danger and is ready for any ambush as well as the party.
            But to re-join Z'leyra will take some time.  Z'leyra's mist
            is still in effect making it that the creature must just have
            lucked up on her or by smell.  Not knowing where Z'leyra is
            exactly will require tracking a bit to get to her.  Running
            to get with her could take 12 or so phases?  So at this
            point since she decided to go alone she is pretty much alone.
            Raban your about 20-25 seconds from finishing the grinding
            process and starting the mixture.  You can continue or react
            as above.  I did this by the second thus the second marks
            on the time tickers.  It has been 4 minutes since Z'leyra
            left the others.   Arawn did mention going behind and following
            Z'leyra but since wasn't clear (or in ICQ to question) I
            stuck you with the others to help Raban since his herbalist
            skill isn't that great.