[pnpgm] Game Update #37 - File #143 - Chion meets old friend

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Sat Apr 12 09:13:04 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  -- J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #37 in sequence (file #143)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar waits until the two have finished speaking with the
          party. He has nothing more to say to them, and finds their
          subtle speech and their condescending appraisal of him and
          his friends to be irritating.

          Once the introductions are done and the two pretty little
          fellows leave, Ben'Dar asks Caladan to "unmagic" Tef'wo.  He
          spends time walking the horse around to stretch his muscles.
          He grooms the big animal and feeds him.

          After he has finished that important matter, Ben'Dar hurriedly
          changes into his pretty clothes.  He moves awkwardly out to
          the field where the dance/feast will be, trying to imitate
          the mannerisms of silly nobles he has seen in the cities of
          Marentia. He is obviously not enjoying the charade.  He will
          stay close to the others who remain at the feast.  Ben'Dar has
          never been one to skip out on a rowdy outdoor feast!

          Ben'Dar leaves his spear, pike, and bow with Tef'wo and the
          other horses.  He carries only his boot-dagger and his scimitar
          in their sheaths.
        GM: Ack.

                -------------------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Arwan and language; Chion wished to re-learn Evlish and will
          trade Katai for it. He also wished to learn any supernatural
          language in exchange for his known one, but had trouble
          breaching that topic with the Alfar (not knowing if he knew
          any). Overall, he let it go because he knew he needed to
          conserve mana.

          After all is said an done, Chion will think for a bit on these
          words. Has Lady Serene learned about the Egg Drop? Why the
          interest in him? And did she grow up some since he has been
          away. Most definately. But what does it mean, "is expecting",
          and why was it left out of the message. Well, this certainly
          will be interesting. 8 AM. Man. Hardly enough time to have a
          proper party with this band of friends. Chion will ask if
          there is any place he can go for his last night as a single
          man, or if there is some need for him to be somewhere. If he
          can, he will try to find someone local who he once knew and
          try to find out about Lady Serene. Preferably someone not to
          subserviant as to not speak their mind. Perhaps Red. No, he
          wouldn't be anything other than diplomatic. Maybe Zhuo-Chan
          or Yu-Hsaing? One of them might be infromative.
        GM: Ack.

                -------------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          To Unali, Z'leyra replies "I would be happy to sit with you.
          Indeed, while I have used magic to learn the words and grammar
          of your language I have not had the opportunity to listen how
          the words are used in practice. Hopefully I shall learn. As
          to whether Zhou's attitude comes from my being a woman, a
          shaman, dressed for battle or insufficiently humble I cannot
          know. Perhaps with practice I shall learn to ruffle feathers
          less. I don't try to antagonize people."

          She whispers "A wise man once said that specialization is for
          insects...that humans should learn an adequate array of skills
          to get by as well as to emphasize their strengths."

          Aloud "But first, shall we go and see that the musicians are
          as healthy as they might be...wouldn't want the celebrations
          flawed by inadequate musicianship due to sickness, now would
          we?"

          After seeing (and perhaps healing) the musicians Z'leyra
          will mingle and sit with Unali unless her assistance is needed.
          She will tell the musicians that she is available if needed
          for percussion, but that she is not familiar with the local
          music, songs and dances.
        GM: Ack.

                -------------------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          In regards to trading languages with Chion Arawn will accept
          the    trade of Elf Sidh for Katai. If Chion decides he wants
          to try for    Supernatural Languages and can think of how he
          wants to broach    the topic just let me know and we'll go
          from there.

          Arawn maintained his composure as Zhou and Kee reacted to his
          introduction. As they make their offers and speculations Arawn
          smiles modestly as he replied to their various questions.

          Arawn: "Thank you but please I ask for no special treatment but
          I am honored for the consideration."

          Arawn was aware of Chion's reaction and wondered what it
          was that made him grin. He did not wish to upstage the wizard
          on his return trip home but felt good that Chion could find
          some humor in the situation. Still, he was curious but he kept
          his thoughts to himself and maintained his focus on Zhou and
          Kee as they continued.

          Arawn: "No, I do not believe I am in need of anything at the
          moment but thank you for offering. As for the manor, I do not
          wish to impose or be an inconvenience but if the High Elder
          decides that he would wish my presence at his manor then I
          humbly accept."

          Arawn waited until Zhou and Kee were not looking to steal a
          glance to the party. He did not mean to be treated exclusively
          in regards to the others but he knew that asking for permission
          for them to stay at the manor would be in poor taste under the
          current situation. It would put pressure on Zhou to ask while
          the others were around. Perhaps later on, if he met with the
          High Elder, he may be able to procure them a place at the manor.

          As they continued on their brief tour Arawn took in everything
          Zhou had to say, pondering them for a moment before filing them
          away for later thought. As Zhou went over the issue with past
          Elves Arawn replied,

          "Thank you for the insight. I do not think that situation will
          be a problem with me. I have always held different views from
          most of my kin and always look for an opportunity to learn,
          grow, and understand others. I can only hope others will share
          or respect my beliefs."
          When it is discovered that Chion is the one to be wed Arawn
          cannot help but be aware of Chion's reaction. Apparently it is
          as much a surprise to him as it is to the others. While the
          others do their best to avoid laughing aloud or outright teasing
          the wizard Arawn's face remains relaxed. He was aware of the
          political nature of arranged marriages but was never a fan of
          them. The Sidh are an impulsive people, ruled by their passions
          and lusts, and though Arawn shared this quality in many ways
          he was also very different from his brethren. He did not
          believe in marriage but was nevertheless a hopeless romantic.
          To him love was the greatest of all things but until he found
          one to give his heart to he held no desire to be with a partner.
          All he wished was to be free, even in love, and to him marriage
          was an abhorant thing, sad in the invisible chains which bound
          people together and robbed them of their freedom, whether that
          freedom was given away willingly or not.

          Whatever he felt he did not choose to impose it upon others.
          Let them decide and learn themselves, free to make their
          decisions. But in Chion's case the marriage seemed to fit into
          Arawn's thinking as it appeared to be an upleasant surprise
          for the eastern wizard.
          During the tour Arawn will take some time to keep an eye out
          for a library or any other place where he can begin studies
          on the information found on the scroll discovered in witches
          cabin as well as look for house symbols in an effort to
          identify the symbol at the bottom of the parchment. With
          events going on tonight he will likely not have time for a
          real search but will make a note to himself to go there when
          time permits if such a place is found or inquire as to whether
          there is such a place nearby. (The parchement is update 65 in
          adventure 3)
        GM: Ack.  Good introspection comments.  Wow.  Thanks for the
            reminder on where the symbol is. :)

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: High Elder's Domain, Dark Lands, North-East
           corner of continent, center of Dark Lands.]

        [Time: 5:40pm]

        [Minutes before in the Reception Room during basic
         introductions...]

        [Arawn listens to Zhou's offer to stay in the manor house.]

        Arawn: "Thank you but please I ask for no special treatment
          but I am honored for the consideration."

        [Zhou nods and asks if Arawn needs anything.]

        Arawn: "No, I do not believe I am in need of anything at the
          moment but thank you for offering. As for the manor, I do not
          wish to impose or be an inconvenience but if the High Elder
          decides that he would wish my presence at his manor then I
          humbly accept."

        Zhou: "He would be most displeased if you didn't stay the
          night there.  So yes I would presume to wish you there.
          We will make arrangements."

        [Arawn nods back and glances at the party testing their
         reaction.  This human custom of hospitality would do the
         party no good to refuse an offer like this.  It would bring
         dishonor to Zhou and the High Elder.  Arawn wonders though
         if Zhou is reacting on Arawn's status igorning the fact
         he is an Elf or acting on both.  Likely just his status
         based on Zhou's reaction to the others.]

        [Zhou mentions about past Elves visiting the Lands.  Arawn
         replies back from their information.]

        Arawn: "Thank you for the insight. I do not think that situation
          will be a problem with me. I have always held different views
          from most of my kin and always look for an opportunity to
          learn, grow, and understand others. I can only hope others
          will share or respect my beliefs."

        Zhou: "I'm sure some will but others may not.  I wish you
          luck in your future interactions with them."

                                -----------------

        [Time: 5:50pm]

        [Z'leyra hears Unali's words on the Katai language and while
         the spell Tongues is a special spell that allows one to
         gain advantage in communication it does not give the subtle
         cues and non-verbal things a language includes.  Those
         can only be taught by people.  So while folks cheat to
         gain the speaking language by Tongues one must know they
         risk not knowing all the cues and implied communication a
         language bears.  Upon returning to Marentia in fact Z'leyra
         learned that Jordi's diplomacy with all the Climan
         prisoners, diplomats in their own right, got upset with
         the diplomacy.  Not from the words ppoken but by the missing
         bits of integral communications between people who know
         and respect one another to learn the language.  Jordi had
         mentioned to Balrog that he lost 2 diplomats due to this
         and they left in a bitter sweet retreat from Marentia.]

        [Z'leyra leans near Unali and whispers.]

        Z'leyra: "I would be happy to sit with you. Indeed, while I have
          used magic to learn the words and grammar of your language I
          have not had the opportunity to listen how the words are used
          in practice. Hopefully I shall learn. As to whether Zhou's
          attitude comes from my being a woman, a shaman, dressed for
          battle or insufficiently humble I cannot know. Perhaps with
          practice I shall learn to ruffle feathers less. I don't try
          to antagonize people. A wise man once said that specialization
          is for insects...that humans should learn an adequate array
          of skills to get by as well as to emphasize their strengths."

        [Z'leyra then speaks louder not caring who hears her.]

        Z'leyra: "But first, shall we go and see that the musicians are
          as healthy as they might be...wouldn't want the celebrations
          flawed by inadequate musicianship due to sickness, now would
          we?"

        [Kee happens to hear and speaks up.]

        Kee: "The musicians are fine.  The sick ones are not in this
          area.  You'd have to travel many miles away.  If you
          wish to we can arrange some food but you might miss your
          audience with the High Elder tomorrow."

        [As Zhou finishes his verbal tour of the Citadel the party
         isn't sure why he doesn't just walk you around the place.
         But it is fairly large.  The open field south of the party
         continues to increase in organized chaos.  Tables are setup
         for food.  A small wooden stage is constructed with great
         speed as if they've done it many times before.  The bulk
         of the people are citizens of the village it seems all
         who have their own tasks and duties.  They seem quite
         happy and content a clear sign there are no slaves in this
         domain.  Around the perimeter of the large field simple
         brass poles are setup into what looks like pre-used
         holes in the ground.  A group sets the poles as another
         comes by with bags to hang chinese like hanging orbs,
         one each, on the pole.  The orbs seem to be in a organized
         color for aesthetics - reds, greens, blues, yellows, oranges,
         whites and purples.  One person taps something against the
         orbs and they brighten up quickly.  Its clear they are
         magical light orbs and not flame.  Now with the sun low
         in the sky but not quite down they aren't bright but as
         the night gets darker they seem to brighten and light
         up 60% of the field just from the perimeter.  The other 40%
         or so other light poles are setup inside the field at
         strategic locations.  East of the field large covered wagons
         settle which will be used for supplies of food, drink and
         other things used in the dance.]

        [Chion continues to recover from the shock of his future
         marriage. He stares at the High Elder's manor and wonders
         if he'll come out of his hiding place and explain why
         he trapped him.  What of the Egg Drop? That mysterious object
         led him thousands of miles on the object to Clima to then
         join this wayward band of adventurers.  All that time he
         never really learned the purpose of the Egg Drop other than
         a Katai heirloom of great value.  Correl did warn there
         would be tests.  Maybe the whole mission was a test from
         the Elder to see if Chion could do it.  Who knows maybe
         even he set the Egg Drop adrift of its home.  Chion leans
         on his staff as he considers all this.]

        [Ben'dar waits for Zhou to finish his tour.  Every minute
         he gets more irritated at the Katai for his treatment
         of his friends.  In his homeland the man would be on
         his back laid out already.  This "civilized" land seems
         to fight with words like cowards than with fists.  A
         definite weak people.  Ben'dar asks about Tef'wo.]

        Zhou: "Yes.  The Wand of Change please?" [He holds out a
          hand to Chion.  Chion hands it over but almost tempted
          to use the wand on the man and turn him into a frog.
          Might look better.]

        [Zhou asks for the stones to be put on the ground.  First
         is Tef'wo's stone.  Zhou stands over and places his thumb
         on a red rune and hid middle finger on a green gem on the
         wand.  He then taps the stone with the tip of the wand
         twice and steps back.  Five seconds later, enough time
         it seems to step back and away, the stone transmutes back
         into Tef'wo and saddle gear.  The Horse neighs and looks
         around in confusion.  Ben'dar comes over and calms him.
         He walks the horse off a bit and with help from Z'leyra
         places the mysterious jeweled collar around his neck.]

        [Zhou then one by one transmutes back the other horses and the
         party's gear.  The party is unsure if Zhou is a wizard
         since the item may be used by non-magic users if they
         know how.  The party is curious if everyone in this domain
         knows magic or just the top of society.  Likely the cream
         and select few in order to control the masses.  Otherwise
         if all knew magic it would be a constant battle for power
         by ambitious wizards.]

        [Zhou pockets the Wand of Change in his belt and approaches
         Chion for any questions.  Chion asks about where he might
         go to spend his last night as a bachelor with his friends.
         Suddenly a small red bird flies to the ground next to
         Zhou.  Zhou looks over and raises a arm and the bird flies
         to him.  Zhou then finds a small note on the bird's leg
         and takes it.  The bird flies east and Chion watches it.
         As Zhou reads Chion sees the bird fly toward the manor
         house.  Zhou shows the note to Kee and both look at
         each other and nod.  They seem to shift feet and talk
         quietly in whispers.  Then Zhou steps forward.]

        Zhou: "Your last night?  Yes.  Well..." [Suddenly the stern
          face of Zhou transforms into a grin and he laughs.  Then
          Kee bursts out into laughter as they look at Chion.]

        [Now Chion seems worried but more anger that they would laugh
         at him and his last few hours as a free man.  When tears
         seem to form on the cheek of Zhou, Chion almost turns to
         leave when Zhou places a hand on him to stop him.  Zhou
         then pulls back out of respect.]

        Zhou: "Sorry!  Your not getting married!  It was a joke
          he setup." [He nods to the manor house.] "He couldn't
          resist the fun of the event.  Lady Serene is expecting
          you that is true.  She wishes to see how you've grown.
          But she is not to be your bride unless of course you
          wish to ask her?  No.  The marriage is between your
          master Correl and his soon to be bride Lady Zhing Yew.
          Even now Correl is still in the forest foraging even
          before the wedding.  You know him can't get him away
          from the forest when he is enthralled by new plants.
          This time though we have people with him.  By now they
          should be dragging him back for the dance tonight.
          The High Elder just wanted to see your reaction and
          it was priceless!"

        [Chion feels instant relief as the tension seems to fade.
         A vicious smirk comes to his face.  A trick?  Chion
         must think this isn't just the High Elder's idea but
         his old master Correl himself who had a hand in it.
         He was always a stern master more thinking than doing.
         The pranks both did on each other like the time Correl
         was first giving the basic instruction on teleport he
         caused Chion to teleport into the women's bath house
         in the village.  As a teenager Chion didn't mind but the
         angry female mob almost did him in.  Of course Chion got
         him back by help of another herbalist in replacing some
         herb with a flower that caused purple pimples all over
         Correl's face.  Chion considers the marriage.  Correl
         was married once before but his wife died from disease
         the healers couldn't cure.  Chion vaguely recalls that
         wife growing up.  Now a widow for a decade it seems he
         has found someone else.  Good for him.  Bad for his future
         apprentices.  This explains why the High Elder wanted him
         to appear.  Correl's finest student wouldn't show respect
         by not coming even if he was 2,000 miles away.  But why
         bring his friends?  The high Elder must still have plans
         for the group.]

        [Zhou smiles knowing that the last 15 minutes or so has been
         tense and a shock to Chion.  Zhou and Kee smiles as the
         party snickers and gives slight laughs behind Chion.  Chion
         ignores them knowing that he'll be the butt of many future
         jokes.]

        Zhou: "Now that your burden is over you are free to roam the
          citadel.  It IS planned that Correl appear at the dance
          and I'm sure he'll be glad to see you there."

        [After Kee translates what has been said into Marentian
         the others giggle slightly at the prank.]

        [Arawn is intrigued by this custom called a prank.  It
         seems exclusively the haven of humans.  Though Faerry
         are known to be tricksters humans seem to do pranks on
         a level of an art form.  Elves are too stern to learn
         such methods of humor.  Another weird human custom to
         file away in his mental cage.]

        [Caladan snickers openly, while stroking the firesnake.]

        Caladan: "Too bad you could've made a whole new life in
          family vacations across the world!"

        [Raban hears the prank and finds it in bad taste but then
         again his traveling group did pranks all the time.  You
         couldn't go a day without some prank being done.  It
         was just part of the process to relieve stress.]

                                -----------------

        [Time: 6:00pm - 8:00pm]

        [Zhou and Kee reminds the party they are free to roam around.
         Food and lodging can be found at the tavern at the west end
         of the citadel.  As the party splits up some take horses
         to the stables while others go on exploration runs.  For
         those leaving the citadel Kee gives them a pass word for
         special guests just for tonight so they can enter back into the
         citadel grounds.  Zhou gives one final warning.]

        Zhou: "That tower over there behind the High Elder's manor
          is his personal tower.  No one goes there or around it.
          Consider 50 feet around and above it to be off limits.
          Anyone near it are subject to possible defensive magic
          and the guard tower nearby."

        [Ben'dar checks his gear on Tef'wo and is directed to the stables
         at east side of the citadel grounds.  There a boy around 15
         helps to remove gear, feed and water Tef'wo quality oats and
         hay that looks to be enhanced for quality.  The groom boy
         doesn't understand Ben'dar but knows he wishes to groom Tef'wo.
         So he gives him a fine brush made of the softest hair Ben'dar
         has ever felt or seen.  For twenty odd minutes Tef'wo is
         treated like a royal horse.  Ben'dar whispers to Tef'wo what
         has gone on and the prank.  Tef'wo breathes softly and seems
         to understand the Zen'da warrior.  Ben'dar explores the stables
         and notices many stalls of nice riding horses but doesn't seem
         to be any war mounts like he has seen in Marentia.  These Katai
         people are indeed weak it seems.  But the quality of riding horses
         are superior likely all noble mounts.  He notices one that
         is white with tan spots that seems to be of high value.  If
         only he could sell these horses he could pay for his ranch
         expenses for a few weeks.  The boy prevents Ben'dar from
         entering the stalls and getting to the equipment lockers
         so that makes Ben'dar happy to know gear will be safe.

         At about 6:20 Ben'dar lightens Tef'wo's saddle load and
         mounts up.  He exits the stable area and begins to explore
         the citadel grounds itself.

          Ben'dar and Tef'wo ride around the well maintained grass
          grounds of the citadel.  Zhou mentioned the only place not to
          go was the Wizard's Tower, so Ben'dar takes advantage of this.
          Ben'dar stops near the shops of the Armorer, Blacksmith and
          Bowyer watching master and apprentice working hard.  Though
          at sunset the Armorer and Blacksmith shops shut down likely
          to keep things quiet. Ben'dar notices the bakery shop is in
          full chaos as it prepares baked goods in multitudes with
          looks like 12 chefs and a half dozen apprentices inside and
          outside open cooking areas.  Several apprentices offer
          samples to Ben'dar and he is happy to take the warm fresh
          bread. The Butcher shop is also busy with 3 Butcher masters
          and what looks like 3 apprentices working hard to put fresh
          meat on wagons to send to the field for the party.  Ben'dar
          is amazed to find no smell of dead or rotting animals and
          figures the shop must have some magic to prevent such or
          some magical disposal process?  Ben'dar spends a minute or
          two watching the weaponsmith shop work until it closes up
          early due to noise as well.  Ben'dar makes a note of where
          the tavern is for later then travels to the main gate.
          On the way he stops at one of the tables preparing drinks
          and gets a mug of beer.  At the main gate he studies the
          map of the village briefly and finds its now about 6:30
          soon the dance will start so little time to explore.

          Ben'dar exits the citadel satisfied that the citadel could
          likely hold off a force of Zen'da warriors.  Of course
          Zen'da do not have the money, resources or time to waste
          in building such a fortified walled fortress.  To the
          Zen'da such a structure is cowardly since all feel fighting
          in the open and direct way is the most honorable way to fight.

          Ben'dar finds the lake district to be the most interesting
          and rides around the north end of it.  As he does he notices
          a couple of families eating in picnic style and lovers
          eating in quiet seclusion at the lake edge.  But time flies
          and Ben'dar finds its getting late.  By the time Ben'dar
          returns its near 7pm.  As Ben'dar rides past the field many
          are already there and starting to mingle.  Ben'dar rides
          to the tavern where Kee said his gear would be in a room.
          There he changes into his nicer clothing.  On the way down
          Ben'dar grabs a nice beer at the bar and tries their
          strange looking nuts that are good.

          By the time Ben'dar arrives at the field letting a boy
          lead Tef'wo back to the stables its near 7:15pm.  Armed
          with only a scimitar and boot dagger Ben'dar walks onto the
          now noisy field.  By now the twilight light of the fading
          sun and the magical orb lights shine in a color mixture.
          Ben'dar plays with his collar for a few seconds not so
          comfortable with the new clothes.  Ben'dar finds the
          tables where Caladan, Chion, Unali and Z'leyra are.
          They notice the clothes and the girls smile.  But
          Chion gives his usual smirk of acknowledgement.  Caladan
          gives a slight laugh at seeing Ben'dar in the nice silk
          clothing.  He raises a mug of beer and Ben'dar notices
          the firesnake is gone.]

         Caladan: "Looks like your ready to join the cream of society!
           If only Farseeker and Xian could see you!" [He laughs
           a bit then drinks.] "Be careful you might slide off Tef'wo
           with all those silks!" [He winks.]

         [For the next 30 minutes Ben'dar sits at the table and eats
          and drinks from the many tables of food.  He notices there
          are fish, shrimp and more exotic things from the nearby
          sea that Ben'dar has never seen before. There are also
          many meats from boar, deer to what may be cattle steaks
          even.  The fruits are less numerous but there are some
          and plentiful herbs and vegetables.  Ben'dar enjoys the
          free drinks of beer, ale and wines of all quality types.
          Ben'dar at his table with Caladan notices the nobles
          dancing all about or mingling and talking.  He finds the
          awkward dance too strict to movements not the fun fire
          dances of his people.  Its as if these people can't
          show their emotions without breaking something.  Ben'dar
          tries to look for any pretty females but all seem to be
          attached sadly to men already.  Ben'dar starts to feel
          a bit bored when he notices Kee coming with another man.]

         [Ben'dar sees the man 6'10 rather tall among the Katai
          who are lucky to get 6 foot.  The man is also rather large
          at 240 odd pounds with rippling muscles that form around
          his leather tunic.  The man looks to be young around 20
          or 21.  He is wearing Scalemail, silver armbands with
          sparkling jewels and otherwise barbarian looking clothing.
          At his hip a sheathed scimitar is seen.  Ben'dar frowns
          that if this man can get away with barbarian like clothing
          why can't he?  The man comes up to the table holding a
          small mug of ale.]

         Kee: "Ben'dar this is Novasa Sha'han of the Sarghut people
            and Shadow Master."

         [Kee translates what must be Ben'dar's name and title.
          Novasa seems to frown.  But Ben'dar knows why the Zen'da
          and Sarghut aren't exactly friends.  Both people fight
          for many centuries.  The Sarghut are a fierce fighting
          force that has caused the Zen'da trouble for a long time.
          Novasa seems to just stare at Ben'dar and the girls back
          and forth.  Kee translates Novasa's words into Marentian.]

         Novasa: "You travel far from your homeland to visit us here.
           I've noticed your horse.  It is a quality mount and you
           should be happy to have him.  Of course true power comes
           from other areas not just the blade and fast horse.
           I hope your stay is good here.  Maybe we can ride
           together and have some fun." [He gives a wicked smirk that
           seems to cause a shiver down Ben'dar's spine.]

         [Novasa leans into Kee and whispers.  Unali is closest so
          happens to hear bits of it.]

         Novasa: "...these people ...fight a cow..."

                                     ------

         [Arawn breaks off from the group on his horse and heads to
          where Zhou said there were maps, the main gate.  There
          four fully armed and armored guards stand by the large
          pulled up portcullis.  There indeed Arawn finds a painted
          map on the right side of the gate showing the layout of
          the citadel and town in explicit detail.  One of the
          guards learns he wishes to have a guided tour and signals
          to a boy pruning nearby bushes.  The boy dusts off and
          approaches.  All of about 14 he seems to know the place
          well and the guard directs him to give Arawn a tour.
          Obviously this guard knows little of Arawn's status.
          Arawn could fetch Zhou and get a more dignified guide but
          there might be merit in this boy over an adult who may
          wish to hide or disclose things the lad may not.  One
          of the guards loans the boy a horse and he mounts up.
          Arawn studies the map a bit more and notices there are
          three village districts to the north where the bulk of
          the population lives.  A well designed mini-city it
          seems or a well balanced one.  The lad gives his name as
          Gajinn and mentions the tour can begin at the High Elder's
          manor.  Arawn still studying the map notices that the
          large square image of the manor on the map glows brightly.
          Interesting to Arawn, he tries "tavern" and it highlight's
          the tavern's location on the west side of the citadel and
          map.  Magical verbal command to locate a object.  Very
          nice for visitors.  Arawn decides to ask for library but
          nothing on the entire map highlights.  Arawn mounts up
          and begins his quickly guided tour of the citadel.

          Gajinn shows him the various places and shops.  Since
          its after 6pm it seems most are closing up or working
          hard for the field party.  Arawn finds the locations
          interesting but not overly fascinating.  When the
          boy shows him the temple, Arawn asks about the gods
          worshiped.]

         Gajinn: "Those things are beyond me.  But I do know its
           not dedicated to just one god, sir.  This is used for
           smaller weddings or rituals by the nobles.  Each
           person is allowed their own worship in their homes."

         [Religious tolerance is likely done here but Arawn figures
          in other domains its oriented to one person's belief's
          or orientations.  The tour ends as quickly as it starts
          within only about 15 minutes it seems.  Nothing is
          really learned from Zhou's verbal tour.  But from 6:15
          to around 6:30 Arawn decides to tour the citadel on his
          own.  Aside from the Wizard's Tower there is no overt
          restrictions it seems.  Though Arawn notices that while
          3 guards are in each sentry tower at least one constantly
          watches the citadel grounds.  Arawn would like to
          get near the tower but knows its 50 feet restriction
          is hard for reading.  Of course he could read at about
          70 feet but getting that close would definitely catch
          the eye of guards and get back to the High Elder.  It
          would be unwise to offend him this early.  Instead
          Arawn scans the inside with his quick riding tour alone.
          He notices the bright mana spots are the walls, manor,
          entry gate and temple.  The other shops and buildings
          seem to have little or no magic readings.  Arawn is
          almost mentally blinded by the aura the wizard's tower
          gives off.  There must be hundreds of spells or objects
          inside of great power.  Arawn has not seen a brighter
          spot in the middle world.  Getting close to the walls
          the wall itself has constant auras of blue and red
          mana sensations likely offensive and defensive spells.
          For the first time in 20 minutes Arawn tries to concentrate
          on one of the walls to detect the spells and read it.
          But the blue aura seems to grow more intense as he doe
          and seems to diffuse the reading.  Arawn confused has
          never seen such a thing before except once.  Growing up
          his father traveled near a forest with a cottage where
          a small goddess stayed.  Her magical wards were numerous
          and his father told him about them.  But on detection
          nothing could be read.  Arawn's father explained she
          had some strange material that blocked readings and in
          some cases gave false readings.  It makes sense if the
          High Elder wishes to remain protected from other wizards
          why not use the best natural or non-natural materials
          for his walls and likely the manor itself.  A clever way
          for a powerful magician to balance possible threats against
          him.  Arawn could break through maybe the anti-spell,
          anti-detect, anti-reading energy but it might drain him
          down to nothing or kill him in the process.  When Arawn
          recalls story of Elf forests there are major wards there
          from powerful ancient elves.  So magic on this scale isn't
          unheard of in his world.]

         [Arawn notices Kee getting on a horse near the entry
          gate and asks him to give him a tour of the town and
          area.  Kee explains he has a quick errand but he can
          do so soon after.  Kee and Arawn leave the citadel and
          enter a well kept dirt path west then turning north
          into the village itself.  After entering the village
          streets Kee passes a warehouse and then stops at a
          shop.  He dismounts and enters.  Arawn only may known the
          language but doesn't know how to read it.  So he doesn't
          know what shop it is.  But from the look of the window
          it seems to be a jewelry shop.  Kee returns and begins
          to show Arawn around.  First the west and some of the
          north district is looked at.  Over the time Kee explains
          some details of the shops and gives a brief overview.]

         Kee: "The west district tends to be more affluent citizens
           or masters.  Though each district is designed identical
           in nature all have the same style of house and street
           layout.  No one here has more influence of wealth or
           power over the other.  The north district has a lot of
           the farmers for the farms up north.  They are the ones
           that tend to supply all of us with food.  The East
           district tends to have the large family groups and
           apprentices.  The taverns are surely filled up or
           will be soon with visitors likely almost doubling our
           size due to the amount of visitors."

         [As the night grows on the streets are lit by torches rather
          than magical orbs like in the citadel.  Arawn studies the
          citizens go back and forth on the streets.  Many are indeed
          seem to be happy and content.  All are cordial and friendly
          to Arawn and nod but show no deference to his unwrapped
          face or status as an Elf, if they even notice in the darkness.
          Kee shows his house in the west district.  It is like all
          the same a one story 2 bedroom place.  Some houses may have
          3 bedrooms depending on their family size.  Arawn senses
          few if minimal magic in the village.  Wide spans of the
          village no magic is detected other than in the deep forest
          beyond the village grounds.  Arawn suspects that is the
          general ward that keeps the domain in perpetual spring as
          others may be in snow.  Occasionally magic can be detected
          from people as magic users or those who may have items.
          But that would make sense in this domain.  Arawn figures
          one out of 4 may have some magic on them or about them.
          Arawn asks about a library or family house names.]

         Kee: "There is no library in the village.  Only a few like
           those in the citadel, scribes or messengers know how to
           read and write.  Most wizards learn how to read and
           write and have their own personal library in their homes
           or place of study.  There is no public library as you
           may know of.  I am sorry you could not visit one here.
           The largest in the village is the High Elder's personal
           library in the manor.  But only a few are allowed access
           to it.  As to family houses like Katai most are house
           oriented in the Dark Lands.  Though not as strict or
           stringent as in Katai itself.  There may be a dozen
           Houses on each street from the ancient Houses of Katai
           but whether that family actually goes by the customs and
           rules of the house is up to them.  Such formal structure
           may not be the top priority of most here like it is
           in Katai.  This is why you do not see House symbols or
           names on family homes."

         [Saddened by the news of no library and his search for the
          strange symbol Kee and Arawn head back to the citadel
          as its getting late.  No visit is made to the east or
          lake districts as time runes out and its already 7:30 or so.]

         [Once back at the citadel Kee takes Arawn's horse to the
          stables as Arawn walks to the field and dusts himself off.
          Arawn notices a few hundred people have already come onto
          the field and are either dancing, eating or talking in
          clumps around the field.  Arawn also notices armed men
          obviously guards outside the field perimeter.  Arawn figures
          them to be guards for the nobles in the village.  He sees
          many of them stare at particular people.  Not much of
          a bodyguard if they have to travel some distance to get
          to their master.  But that may be how they do things here.
          Arawn enters the field and tries to listen and talk briefly
          to those who pass by.  It is obvious most here know each
          other in some fashion and treat Arawn as a stranger.
          Arawn notices Raban and then others sitting down at
          tables.  After a half hour of talking and mingling with
          others Arawn finds himself at Caladan's table and ready to
          eat from the feast around 8pm.]

                                     ------

         [After the verbal tour Caladan rides to the tavern and heads
          inside with his bags to his room.  He decides on unpacking
          in the single room and taking a nap.  The bed is too tempting
          and he hasn't been in a bed in a long time.  For an hour
          he naps with his firesnake.  Then little after 7pm he
          casts a spell on the snake to make it sleep for a good long
          time.  The snake is used to such spells and its almost become
          immune to them.   Well rested Caladan walks back to the
          field and gets some food and drink.  As Caladan gets another
          mug of ale he sees a man light a table candle with a quick
          fire spell.  This sparks Caladan's interest and watches the
          man for some time.  Caladan doesn't see Kee or anyone who could
          translate so gets back to his table.  Eventually Caladan
          notices Arawn coming to join him.]

                                     ------

         [After the verbal tour Fremea is distracted by the mana
          auras of the citadel.  Especially the burning beacon of
          the wizard's tower.  To a mana sensing creature it must
          be seen miles away in the air if such an ability existed.
          The walls and manor also glow as brightly.  Fremea asks
          Zhou about the help they asked of her minutes before in
          the reception room.  She replies she could help.]

         Fremea: "It would be interesting to see what another set of
           humans would need a Fae for. I would be interested in
           hearing about this assistance you could use. Sure, let me
           know when."

         Zhou: "Yes.  Let's step over here."

         [Both Zhou and Fremea step away from the talking party though
          Zhou doesn't speak in whispers.  Anyone that wants to hear
          could easily hear them talk.]

         Zhou: "With your ability to fly and sense magic we could
           use your help around the citadel.  For security purposes
           we scan the grounds twice a year.  But by foot and through
           hand held talismans it does take a few days.  But you might
           be able to do it in no time.  I only ask that you fly
           around the perimeter outside the walls and see if you detect
           anything beyond the basic wall wards.  You won't be able
           to detect the specific spells in the walls due to blocking
           spells.  But if you simply view the wall you will get a
           picture of what not to expect.  Sometimes a master and his
           apprentice might try to have fun and test their skills
           and place things or spells around the perimeter.  No one
           is allowed within 20 feet of the walls but I'll notify
           the guards of your flying about.  They won't kill you.
           But when you get near the Tower fly slow and again don't
           get that close.  We appreciate your help.  Give me a few
           minutes to notify the guards."

         [Zhou raises a hand and from the field a young boy comes
          running and they whisper.  The boy runs off to the main
          gate to notify the guard towers it seems.  Maybe there
          is some magical device there to notify all guard towers?
          Fremea decides to walk about the grounds and give the
          guards time to be warned.  Walking by one shop she sees
          it to be a herbalist shop.  The old man is still inside
          grinding some powder at the main counter.  Fremea enters
          and explores the shop.]

        [In the first table Fremea sees jars of what is obviously
         basil.  Another container of Qadishi root.  Fremea comes
         to a black flower and tries to identify it when she is
         surprised by the man coming close and gesturing to Fremea.
         Fremea doesn't know Katai but from the frantic nature he
         seems to treat her like they do in Marentia, as a kid.
         As an annoying kid who shouldn't be in an adult place.
         The man shoos Fremea outside and slams the door so fast
         she barely reacts.  Anger boils up but fades as she seems
         used to the treatment.  She decides to turn back to the
         shop when the man locks the door and closes the shades.
         It must be closing time as Fremea notices the shop next
         door also locking up.]

        [Fremea heads to the nearest wall and puts her clothing
         that protects her wings in a neat pile on the ground.  She
         unfurls her wings and takes up and above the wall.  As she
         does she notices the wall is wider and looks like a walk
         way for guards single file.  She flies over and lands
         on the other side and scans the wall.  Not sure of what
         spells are here she gets a general overview of what the
         wall should look like.  Then Fremea takes to the air and
         quickly flies along the perimeter of the wall using her
         ability to detect strange things.  On the west and north
         sides she notices the occasional citizen looking at her
         in wonder but she ignores them.  She also notices the
         guards watching in some awe.  Soon Fremea makes a full
         circle of the citadel and finds nothing.  She decides to
         head south and explore the lake district for fun.  She
         loses track of time and soon the dance begins.  The wards
         of the forest seem to intrigue Fremea so she decides to
         fly near the edge of the forest to see if there is anything
         she can find out of the ordinary.  For a couple miles though
         she finds nothing.  Ending up in the north farm land area
         she decides to head back to the citadel.  As she flies
         she notices Corona flying nearby and both chase and play
         a harmless game of tag.  For the first time Corona seems
         to enjoy flying with Fremea.  Soon the game ends as Corona
         goes to the citadel to sit on the wall and rest. ]

        [Fremea decides to fly once more around the citadel.  She
         wants to impress the High Elder and find something to gain
         his friendship.  As she rounds the west and north walls
         she still finds nothing out of the ordinary except the
         magic that is already there.  She hovers and looks at the
         Wizard's tower as 2 of the guards watch her from the nearby
         North-east sentry tower.  She then moves on and circles around
         toward the east wall.  She realizes that time has flown by
         and it must be near 8pm (actually about 7:55pm).  She has
         been flying for more than an hour.  As she nears the middle
         of the east wall she suddenly hears something behind her.
         She looks up in time to see a form diving for her.  In a flash
         she sees green and red and what looks like to be a lizard
         with wings?  It lands on her back and claws tear at her wings
         as fangs sink into her back and rip flesh doing 3 points of
         damage past her elven armor.  Fremea doesn't cry out but
         goes spinning into the darkness...]

        GM: Had to get up to around 8pm so all meet up on same timeline.
            You still have your gear (bow on back) and dagger on belt.

                                     ------

        [After the verbal tour Kee comes up to Raban and speaks.]

        Kee: "You said you could help?  Over there that man is
          in charge of the entertainment.  Let us go over so I
          can introduce you and see what he needs help with."

        [Raban grabs from his horse his pan pipe, drum and his
         mandolin remains on his back.  He sends the horse to
         the stables for safe keeping for now.  Raban and Kee
         travel to the old gray haired man and Kee translates
         what Raban knows and shows. The man points to the pipe
         and mandolin.]

        Kee: "He sees the mandolin will be of great use.  The
          pipe a bit later when the night grows on and folks
          get a bit drunk." [He smiles.] "He says you can play
          whatever you feel is right or sing.  While others may
          not know your language the basic use of song will
          be appreciated. Let me introduce you to the others."

        [Kee and the old man find the other entertainers.  Two
         women who play the drums in a soft tapping style. One
         man who plays a silver flute.  Last to be seen is
         a average looking man who doesn't appear to be Katai.]

        Kee: "This is Kiet he knows acrobatics well and will
          demonstrate them at various times."

        [Kee stands to the side in case translations are needed
         for a few minutes then leaves with Arawn later.]

        [Raban for the rest of the 2 hours works with the other
         entertainers to trade turns in their various specialties.
         Raban plays a half dozen songs with his mandolin.  During
         the evening he notices many cute females eye him and giggle
         from afar but never approach him at the sides.]

                                     ------

        [Unali mingles with the other Katai after changing at the
         tavern and unpacking.  As guests arrive she eats and drinks
         with the other party members who are there.  Then once
         the music and real party begins she mingles with the other
         folks.  Knowing Katai itself helps to communicate.  She
         learns that the general makeup of the guests are about 20%
         wizards and rest are free noble citizens.  Most seem to
         be no higher than the 2 counts she finds.  Most seem to be
         lower rank than Count and Baron.   Most treat Unali with
         welcome arms.  Having been in the Marentian court to
         uncover spies she has learned the art of "chit-chat"
         and nameless mundane talk.  Anything and everything that
         breaks the ice of communication but rarely anything of
         real value in conversation.  It takes just 45 minutes for
         her to finally learn a tidbit of what one Lady thinks of
         Correl.  She finds him a blowhard but knows he to be one
         of the rare loyal friends.  Being likely the only one of
         the party to truly mingle that night she learns nothing
         of value of "trouble" or danger in the area.  There
         are some rumors of something that may be a threat to
         the domains but when Unali asks the people move on to
         dance or become tight lipped.  She learns it came from
         the north but doesn't know the details of the rumored
         threat.  Most laugh off the threat as their egos get in
         the way thinking the domains are invincible.  Near 8pm
         Unali heads to the table and sits with Ben'dar.  That's
         when Novasa comes over and seems to covertly insult
         Ben'dar.  Novasa bows to Unali and seems to look into
         her eyes for a longer moment than he does Z'leyra.  Z'leyra
         has no clue as to why.  Kee introduces her as she did.]

        Kee: "This is Unali, Katai Warrior of the Shades."

        [Novasa bends down and takes her hand but does not kiss it.
         A custom barbarians aren't known to make unlike city
         folk.  He stares for a few seconds.]

        Novasa: "Most pleased to meet you.  Maybe we could talk
          more later?  Would you care to dance?"

                                     ------

        [Z'leyra heads to the tavern to store her gear at the tavern.
         Unsure on the safety she is shown by the tavern owner
         a private locker in her room.  He explains each locker is
         magical and only one key exists to it.  She stuffs her
         satchel and greatsword inside the large locker and he hands
         her the key.  She locks it and freshens up a bit.  She
         removes her armor and adds it to the stuff.  She grabs
         her staff and changes into her better clothing.  She
         grabs her staff and heads back to the field.  As guests
         start to arrive she watches Raban and this other man
         entertain the servants with music and acrobatics.]

        [Around 6:30 Z'leyra takes a stretch break as she hears there
         is a healer's and eroticist shop nearby.  She walks over
         there to explore the building but finds only the healer's
         is open.  Inside the well kept shop she finds many healing
         materials.  The old man running the shop notices her and
         both talk about healing materials.  In this land Z'leyra
         finds nothing she hasn't seen before.  Though she is
         impressed by a set of magical bandages that seem to double
         as ointment and bandages.  Something she may have to
         copy later for her healer's school.  The man explains he
         is closing up to join the party.  Both walk back to the
         field and he explains he does healing only for the nobles
         who visit the place.  The other citizens have their own
         healers in the village.  Z'leyra finds this kind of
         healing to be rude but doesn't say it.  Her school will
         help all of any status level.  This guy may be the High
         Elder's own personal healer.  She tries to assess his
         skill level and finds him to be masterful but its hard
         to tell without a live patient.  The man joins another
         female to be his wife and they go to eat.  Z'leyra then
         rejoins Unali for some time.]

        [From 7-8pm, Z'leyra is asked twice to dance.  The first
         from a young 20s something man who notices her drum and
         asks if she is a shaman.  The two dance for 4 songs
         and chat about her mostly.  She learns he is a guard
         officer who has dabbled in shamanic study but has no real
         skill in it other than forestry.  The second another
         man this one in his late 30s and losing hair notices
         her staff.  He asks to sit and talk about the design and
         she gives some info on the staff.  The man also talks
         to Unali for some time and all three chit-chat but learn
         only that he is a wizard scholar who practices  illusions.
         He notices Z'leyra's necklace and asks about it as well.
         He eventually asks her to dance and they continue to
         dance up to near 8pm.]

                                     ------

        [Chion heads to the tavern to unpack and settle in.  After
         the shock of his marriage not to be he freshens up and
         changes into some better clothing for the dance.  He
         hopes to see Correl and the big man himself tonight.
         Now he knows why he was needed to be here so early for
         the wedding but what of this threat to the domains?
         Zhou doesn't mention it at all.  Of course for security
         he might not even know it or want to know it.  Little
         after 6pm Chion gets to the field with his sais sheathed
         and staff in hand.  As many setup tables, lights and
         musical instruments he scans the citadel.  Just as he
         left it so long ago.  He notices a cat roaming the
         grounds and wonders if its a wizard or just a plain
         cat.  Growing up he found that even a rock he sat on
         could be a wizard punished for some minor crime or hiding
         in plain site from his apprentice.  While the cats seem
         to be spies for the various wizards as well as the birds.
         Chion knows that some wizards and as is rumored to be the
         High Elder to have supernatural forces as protection or
         spies.  Creatures that could be invisible could be
         watching him right now.  Chion sighs and knows that
         the rumors are there to scare apprentices into loyal
         obedience. Chion watches Raban play some practice songs
         with a few others.  At one point Chion notices Fremea
         dot the north wall and wonders what she is doing.]

        [As the party starts Chion goes to eat and drink and
         Joins the table where the bulk of the party sits.
         After eating he mingles with the others but finds
         that he doesn't recognize most of the people.  In the
         years since he grew up here and left on the Egg Drop
         mission many have grown up around here.  He recognizes
         only about 20% of the people and talks to them.  They
         are all happy to see him return and are curious about
         his past experiences.  Many ask about the strange
         bones on his hip but seem to ignore the ornate staff.
         Around 7:30pm it seems Corell finally makes an
         appearance.  Chion notices him from a distance but
         Corel is swamped by others so he'll have to wait
         till he is more free to talk.  As chion roams over
         to talk to him a few minutes later a person comes
         in front of him.  The short 5' 8 Katai in green silks
         and brown pants has a glass of wine in his hand and
         a nice gold ring on one finger.  From the sneer on
         his face Chion smirks back on recognizing the person
         in front of him.]

        Zing: "Chion blades.  You have finally run on home!  I knew
           you would return in disgrace one day." [He takes a swig
           of wine and continues.] "So you've come for your master's
           wedding I see?" [He uses the word master as a slight
           condescending voice.] "I hear you came with friends.
           They going to help you set up your mud house in the
           forest to live?" [He gets within 2 feet and stares
           at Chion.] "You should leave now before you disgrace
           Corel and the rest.  You left once with your tail
           between your legs you can leave now."

        [Di Zing the twerp Chion knew from childhood.  The boy would
         attempt to pick a fight at every chance he could.  Zing
         wanted to be chosen as apprentice to the renown Wizard
         Mishi who knows storm powers strongly.  But Chion found
         out that Zing killed a bird using some early wind spell
         he was attempting.  That for an apprentice is against the
         rules as birds could be other wizards.  The brash young
         apprentice Zing tried to blame Chion for the death and
         only after the Truth spells were used did it come out.
         Zing failed to gain his apprenticeship.  Last he heard Zing
         would have to apprentice in the village herbalist shop
         rather than at the feet of a wizard.  Of course in that
         time things could've changed and he may know magic now.
         Chion smirks as the one true enemy of his childhood stands
         in front of him.  Evil thoughts come to mind.  Teleporting
         100 miles out to the sea with Zing and leaving him to drown
         or simply using his sai.  Zing looks over to the table where
         Unali, Z'leyra and Ben'dar are sitting.]

        Zing: "Your friends look like you couldn't find anyone better
          to defend you.  The one in the funny clothes he looks like
          he is Novasa's son! The female you seem to like aren't
          of quality either." [He looks back at Chion and smirks.]
          "Have you accomplished anything since you left aside pick
          up that nice staff?"

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Monday...

        GM: Language Trade - Chion/Arawn: Chion you already have
            Elf Sidh and would only gain 1% from the trade.  Em/2
            for starting level.  So still want to learn it?
            Arawn you know Katai at a professional level but not
            max.  So you should do fine.  Will assume trade was
            done at Zen'da village. Chion can read your entry
            in the Recap section on your offer or let me know
            if he wants to learn another language or just improve
            Elf Sidh by 1%.

        GM: Schedule -
              Currently  - 8:00pm
              Currently  - Dance/Feast/Celebration/Reception -
              Tomorrow   - Wedding 8am
              Tomorrow   - Wedding Celebration - 10am
              Tomorrow   - High Elder Audience - around noon

        GM: Delays.  Delays.  I found the FAA shut me down.
            The stupid Fantasy Adventure Alliance found that
            some silly connection could burn and cause problems.
            So they closed me down.  Go figure.  Excuses.
            Oh well.  I was going to do more believe it or not.
            But I'm past overdue.  So this will be enough for now.
            We have some good spots for folks to interact.  If
            you wish to add to events let me know!  I figure
            its enough reading for now over 1,000 lines.  Man
            I babble don't I?