[pnpgm] Game Update #36 - File #138 - Intro & Engagement

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Apr 8 08:42:07 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  -- J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #36 in sequence (file #138)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          I hadn't heard back from Chion in regards to what he'd be
          looking    for in regards to trade for the language of Katai.
          Arawn would    like to trade evenly if possible, a mundane
          tongue for another    mundane tongue. He knows Helva, Elf
          Sidh, Faerry Sidh, Vassa,    and Zenda as well as the Horse
          Tongue and a specific Bird Tongue. If Chion is looking for
          Supernatural Tongues, what languages is he looking for and
          what languages does he have to trade? Arawn will mention Sidh,
          Elder, Cernunnos, Kototh, Tonah, and Neutral. Or is Chion
          looking for something else in trade ideally?
        GM: Ack. Who knows.

                --------------------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion (having smiled at the comment about not being able
          to steal here) smiles again and asks in a polite tone, "May
          I please know now whom is to be the bride and groom tomorrow?"
          He also smiled at having the option of not going to the
          wedding, but figures he probably should attend.
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          For an instant, Ben'Dar seems to consider answering Cetric's
          question.  Perhaps Ben'Dar will finally confront his past?
          But no, then the walls come back up.  Ben'Dar merely shrugs
          indifference to Cetric's question about further news or
          instructions to his kin.
          *****
          Later in the strange Katai citadel, Ben'Dar scowls fiercely to
          hide his discomfort at the strange surroundings.  In response
          to Zhou, he says briefly in Marentian, "Yes, from Zen'Da.  I
          am Ben'Dar, warrior of the Fel'oros people."

          At the remark on his clothing, Ben'Dar's scowl melts away and
          he smiles widely.  "But of course!  I have brought pretty
          clothing especially for the occasion."  He seems to be enjoying
          some private joke.
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea will answer:

          "Fremea, Donara, I do not know my family. Hmm, now that is an
          interesting quesion, I don't have an answer for it at this
          time." All the while she has a small smirk on her face, as if
          something is very funny to her.
          When they ask if her to possible assist on something later,
          she will answer: "It would be interesting to see what another
          set of humans would need a Fae for. I would be interested in
          hearing about this assistance you could use. Sure, let me
          know when." She keeps her attention on them as they do their
          checks and questions, just observing all the while.
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          Raban: "I am Raban Usherwood, son of the renown Dancer Areta
          Usherwood.  I am from Xian, though I rarely stayed there.
          Perhaps you know it better as part of Donara. I am an acolyte
          Bard of Miryan of the Court of Cernunnos and I would be happy
          to help entertain. There may be some small problems as I have
          not yet learned your language or culture so I may need to
          restrict myself to playing instruments or dancing. But I can
          assure you I am a master of both and will need little practice
          to perform properly. I have been given other titles but most
          should not be said in polite company."
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          To the questions Z'leyra responds "My name is Z'leyra. I am a
          very experienced shaman, wizard, magician, enchanter and
          healer. For determining status, respect for my magical abilities
          should grant me respect equal to that of high nobility. My
          mother Z'nayha, was a respected Kameri shaman. My siblings
          still live in the Kameran. My father Tiren, was a Ticasi
          scholar who was a member of the Counsel of Scholars. After
          his death I left my studying at The Great Library in Ticasi
          and have sought to help those I favor as I travel. I currently
          have an abode in Sivas, Marentia. This is my eagle companion
          Corona."

          Z'leyra steps forward saying "I offer my assistance both as a
          healer and as a percussionist. If skilled or magical healing
          of the musicians will assist in making the celebrations better
          then please lead me to them. I indulge in the hobbies of
          singing, dancing and playing percussion...but for such an
          assemblage I would be hesitant to be more than a backup
          percussionist."

          Z'leyra whispers back to Caladan "To do such magic is truly
          impressive...even to those highly skilled at magic. The
          amount of magic that must be manipulated to do that
          permanently for such an area is more than some wizards
          will cast in their lifetimes - and that was likely cast
          within a few days."
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn had spent his life in court, albeit one rife with
          immortal affairs, and he knew enough to understand that
          protocol was a varied thing. Still, he knew enough to
          understand that, most of the time, there were certain actions
          and behaviours worth applying in an unknown situation. Keeping
          to this he calmly replied back in a modest tone in regards to
          Zhou's questions.

          "Thank you, it is my honor to be here," he nodded, lowering
          his head courteously. "I am Arawn, son of Morrigan and Payan
          of the Courts of the Sidh and True Sidh in the higher realms
          and their voice and hand among the druids of their faith."

          As they journey along Arawn makes a mental note of any
          significant things, starting with using Memorization on the
          rune-covered wall. As Zhou leads them around he asks,

          "The wall in the room where we entered, it bears many
          interesting marks, some of which I recognize while there are
          others I do not. If I may inquire, what meaning do they hold?"
          Later on, before they exit the building, Arawn asks,

          "You mentioned that other elves had been here before but rarely
          stayed due to conflicts. I am unsure as to the nature of the
          conflict but is this anything that I may need to concern
          myself with?"

          When they finally arrive outside and Zhou asks if there are
          any further questions Arawn makes a general inquiry, stating
          what he has already learned, and attempt to gain a further
          understanding of their customs in an effort to further learn
          their etiquette. At the very least he asks Zhou for any
          physical acts (bowing, hand gestures, etc.) that are deemed
          rude or, on the other end, signs of respect as well as how to
          properly address someone.

          Afterwards he will take a map and guide book and take a guided
          tour around the town and Citadel before exploring it on his
          own. He will keep an eye out for anything of interest and
          magics being used in the area. He will fully explore all 4
          wards as well as the Citadel if time permits.

          In regards to the wedding and dance, Arawn will attend these
          if it comes up in the next post. He will dance and participate
          accordingly.

          During this time, if Chion has not yet allowed him access to
          learning the language (as I haven't gotten a response yet)
          Arawn will ask Zhou for permission to learn the tongue through
          magic. if this is allowed then Arawn will cast Tongues to
          learn the language permanently.

          During this time Arawn will have his face unwrapped. Despite
          his concerns in regards to his mysterious appearance in the
          middle-world he thinks that, if anywhere in the realm of
          mortals, he may be safe from prying eyes here. Indeed, he may
          have an opportunity for insight into this here, where supposedly
          the greatest living mortal mage is said to exist.
        GM:  Ack.

                --------------------------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea will explore (using her abilities as such) and find
          interesting places for the hour to the party. Fremea will
          attend the party, though mostly to see what it is like. She
          will observe as it seems she will be the only Fae there.

          When she hears of the wedding and who it is that is getting
          married, she snickers that people get married so young and
          wonders why it was arranged. Course, it is not like she really
          understands any of it herself.

          "I will be glad to attend. I hope it will be entertaining."
          [Deleted Quote]
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          [Deleted quote]

          Chion tries to recover his slight smile prior to the finish
          of the translation. When it is complete, he will say "Oh. Ok.
          That makes sense." And won't pay much attention to his
          companions who are no doubt cooing, wooing, and generally
          snickering by now. Serena. He looks down at his ring. Lady
          Serena. Looking back to Zhou he starts a hearty laugh. Then
          when he is done he will tell his friends, "Some traps cannot
          be avoided and must be braved instead." Smiling.
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          [Raban will inquire as to where he can find the other
          entertainers so he can practice the local music and prepared
          pieces. Once there he will quickly learn what is needed even
          without a common language, though it would be simpler with one.]
        GM: Ack.

                --------------------------------------

        From Unali: [Re: Emailed actions snippet]
          To Z'leyra in Marentian: "Z'leyra, we should find time and
          sit together. Even though you have mastered the skill to speak my language,
          you do it no justice. Theirs is the song of the butterfly
          if the eastern wind blows. No amount of translation can
          catch the meaning of that phrase unless the language is
          understood."

          To Zhou in Katai
          "I am Unali. It is Katai that I was born in and where is
          was trained as a warrior of the shades."

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: High Elder's Domain, Dark Lands, North-East
           corner of continent, center of Dark Lands.]

        [Time: 5:35pm]

        [In the Teleport/Reception Room underground.  Zhou asks
         for name and titles of each person for record keeping.
         Ben'dar replies to the question of introduction.]

        Ben'dar: "Yes, from Zen'Da.  I am Ben'Dar, warrior of the
          Fel'oros people."

        Zhou: "A proud and fierce people of great warrior stock.
          Of course rumors about your shamans are just that rumors.
          So I can't attest to their magical prowess.  I don't
          recall the tribe you speak of but know the Zen'da.
          In fact at the reception tonight if I see Novassa I
          will introduce you to him.  I believe he is from that
          area of the plains."

        [Kee leans in and whispers something to Zhou but Zhou just
         shoos him away with a hand.]

        [Zhou asks Ben'dar about proper clothing "just in case".]

        Ben'dar: "But of course!  I have brought pretty clothing
          especially for the occasion."

        [Ben'dar smiles back at Zhou.  Zhou begins to speak twice
         but nothing leaves his parted lips as he tries to be
         diplomatic it seems.  He moves on to the next person.

        [Eventually Zhou ends up at Fremea and she gives her
         full introduction.]

        Fremea: "Fremea, Donara, I do not know my family. Hmm, now
           that is an interesting question, I don't have an answer
           for it at this time."

        [As Fremea replies she has a smirk on her face as if she
         is enjoying a private joke. Humans must love these
         noble titles.  Sidh folk have some titles but not as
         much as humans do.  What a waste of time she figures.]

        Zhou: "Donara?  A very far place indeed!  A noble land
          I hear of some of the best nobles in that region."

        [Zhou gets Raban's full introduction.]

        Raban: "I am Raban Usherwood, son of the renown Dancer Areta
          Usherwood.  I am from Xian, though I rarely stayed there.
          Perhaps you know it better as part of Donara. I am an acolyte
          Bard of Miryan of the Court of Cernunnos and I would be happy
          to help entertain. There may be some small problems as I have
          not yet learned your language or culture so I may need to
          restrict myself to playing instruments or dancing. But I can
          assure you I am a master of both and will need little practice
          to perform properly. I have been given other titles but most
          should not be said in polite company."

        Zhou: "Acolyte Raban welcome.  Yes.  It is short notice but
          we could use help with entertainment.  We'll direct you on
          that later.  I am sorry I do not know of this dance group
          you speak of in Donara.  But I'm sure they are quite capable."

        [Raban gives a slight bow as Kee makes some notes on his
         parchment and whispers to Zhou.  Raban notice both stare
         at his face for a second more than normal.  Raban sniffs
         to himself.  Capable!  The dance group was popular and
         great not capable traveling nomads on drugs!  Raban already
         detects a slight snobbish nature of the Katai people.]

        [Zhou and Kee get to Z'leyra and she replies.]

        Z'leyra: "My name is Z'leyra. I am a very experienced shaman,
          wizard, magician, enchanter and healer. For determining
          status, respect for my magical abilities should grant me
          respect equal to that of high nobility. My mother Z'nayha,
          was a respected Kameri shaman. My siblings still live in the
          Kameran. My father Tiren, was a Ticasi scholar who was a
          member of the Counsel of Scholars. After his death I left
          my studying at The Great Library in Ticasi and have sought
          to help those I favor as I travel. I currently have an abode
          in Sivas, Marentia. This is my eagle companion Corona."

        [Zhou listens to Kee's translation and his eyes dart back
         from Kee to Z'leyra fiercely.  Z'leyra detects a slight
         frown at one point but has no idea on which part of the
         translation it is.  Did she say something wrong?  Zhou gives
         a slight bow but a quick one.]

        Zhou: "Many job positions you hold.  Interesting." [Z'leyra
          notes a slight bit of sarcasm from the word interesting.]
          "Here in the Dark Lands we specialize.  You will find no
          one with multiple goals.  We've learned such people tend
          to phase out and go into a dead end soon.  For purposes
          of introduction do you wish to be called by your many
          positions or as a wizard?"

        [Z'leyra considers the words and stands a bit more erect.
         She feels the eyes of others.  Her full introduction has
         revealed some things even the other long term friends
         might not know of her.  Even Fremea seems to soak in the
         information with hungry eyes as if information is the
         true source of life.  Like Raban's interaction Z'leyra
         detects a bit of snobbish air of Zhou but not so much of
         Kee but he is likely not even a noble but a petty free
         citizen.  Zhou continues.]

        Zhou: "As to your nobility if you hold no title in the many
          lands you speak of the status here remains that of a
          non-titled citizen.  These are not the customs I make
          but customs our people have made for centuries.  I am
          curious though how a people of...worldly..." [Its
          clear he tries to mouth barbaric but stops to reflect
          a more diplomatic word] "as yours would be in Ticasi
          such a noble site of learning?  Your father must've
          had great influence and honorable position."

        [Memories of Z'leyra's father and the last few years of
         his life come back.  A flush of anger seems to ride up
         Z'leyra's spine at the nature of this man to almost
         indirectly directly insult her.  Z'leyra could probably
         squish the little man with a well placed spell but as
         the anger gets to her neck it seems to fade before it
         explodes.  As she considers her reply she continues her
         pre-planned speech.]

        Z'leyra: "I offer my assistance both as a healer and as a
          percussionist. If skilled or magical healing of the musicians
          will assist in making the celebrations better then please lead
          me to them. I indulge in the hobbies of singing, dancing and
          playing percussion...but for such an assemblage I would be
          hesitant to be more than a backup percussionist."

        [Zhou straightens his nice yellow silk shirt and pretends to
         wipe dust away.  He looks up and nods curtly.]

        Zhou: "Yes.  Well the High Elder has his own Healer here in
          the Citadel for the nobles.  The village has a few for
          the other people.  I'm sure you could talk to them.
          I'm sure your quite capable."

        [With a quick side step he moves onto to the next person.
         Raban growls under his breath.  Did that little weirdo
         with the funny eyes just insult Z'leyra?  It takes all
         he can to go berserk but he rather not create a diplomatic
         incident here for now.]

        [As Zhou walks away Kee leans into Z'leyra and whispers
         in Marentian.]

        Kee: "Excuse him.  He has a thing against Shamans.  I think
          it has some incident in his past with a Ipanza shaman
          or something.  But--"

        [Zhou clears his throat for Kee to follow and Kee breaks off
         the conversation and trots off to join Zhou.]

        [Arawn hears the previous introductions and makes note
         of some tidbits of Z'leyra's past.  Unlike the others here
         he has experience in courtly affairs.  He knows that
         a word off even a tone of the voice could mean the difference
         between irking a royal, in his case a god, or staying in
         favor.  Even the order of the words could ruin a introduction.
         He organizes his thoughts as Zhou gets to him.]

        Arawn: "Thank you, it is my honor to be here," [he nodded,
          lowering his head courteously.] "I am Arawn, son of Morrigan
          and Payan of the Courts of the Sidh and True Sidh in the
          higher realms and their voice and hand among the druids of
          their faith."

        [Zhou listens as Kee translates.  Kee suddenly stops making
         notes and glances up.  Both seem to stare then recover their
         posture and stand fully up.  Arawn watches their body
         language for clues.  How would they react to a non human
         here with a title like demi-god?]

        Zhou: "I know of your parents? This is indeed a great honor!"
          [Zhou and Kee whisper quietly and seem to argue over some
          details.] "Excuse me.  I am not sure of the protocol of
          someone of your status here.  I will have to consult others.
          But if I suspect the custom you may be introduced first
          to the High Elder and Court."

        [Arawn glances to Chion who seems to give one of his wicked
         smirks.  How can he be introduced before Chion a native
         of these lands?  He wouldn't want to take that spotlight
         away but Chion seem to enjoy this particular thing for some
         odd reason.]

        Kee: "Are there any special things you will need while here
          at your stay?  I am sure the High Elder will request you
          to stay in the manor tonight and not the inn.  I will
          make the arrangements if its all right with you."

        [Arawn smiles in return.  He considers the situation and
         is starting to like this place.  In Marentia he was almost
         treated as a thief, of course he wore his face mask everywhere.
         But here he gets upgraded to the best quarters?  Now this
         is how to treat the son of a god!  But Arawn eyes the others
         and wonders what they will think?]

        [Zhou gets Unali's introduction.]

        Unali: "I am Unali. It is Katai that I was born in and where
          I was trained as a warrior of the shades."

        Zhou: "A Katai proper native?  I hope you do not believe those
          foul rumors of this land.  I hope you decide on your own
          our true nature.  One day Katai will welcome us back or
          they will soon die from overpopulation and corruption." [He
          raises a quick hand.] "This is not meant as offense.  I'm
          sure you've seen this yourself.  Katai is a great land of
          great people.  But its nobles are biased to only themselves.
          They seek power and wealth not knowledge like us here. We
          only seek to harness magic for the good of man not
          kneel to the priests and the gods." [He glances at Arawn.]
          "This is not to say we don't have folks who are religious
          here.  Its just we feel the gods aren't the only ones that
          should harness the full potential of magic.  We feel
          man is destined to use magic by the gift of the gods."
          [He turns back to Unali.] "You are welcome here.  We
          welcome all Katai natives here who have an open mind to
          the people here.  Unlike in Katai where a wizard would
          be killed for using magic to save a dying person." [He
          pauses for a second or two.] "A warrior of the shades.
          Katai is great for many things but warriors of your kind
          are the best trained.  Those who are skilled in stealth
          and intrigue are the true security to the Katai power
          base.  I do hope you are not here to use your skills
          against us?"

        [Unali sighs inwardly.  A word too much can create paranoia
         even in a clerk.  Now she wonders if she'll be watched
         where ever she goes.  She considers how to appease Zhou.]

        [Ben'dar shifts from foot to foot eager to leave this cramped
         place.  Most Zen'da say their name and that's it.  All
         this stupid introduction and protocol stuff is a waste
         of time.  By the time you say who you are here they could
         be killed in battle! Bleh.  So boring.]

        [Caladan shifts the firesnake on his shoulder which hisses
         every few minutes at Corona who stares at it.  Caladan
         wonders who could win in a battle.  Corona has those neat
         magical eyes but both can fly.  The firesnake has a painful
         bite that could stun corona.]

        [Chion listens to all the introductions and sees how Zhou
         reacts.  Last time he saw Zhou he was a simple house
         servant in the manor.  Now he seems raised in position but
         doesn't seem to hold a noble title.  Most civil style
         workers here rare hold titles.  Kee he has never seen before
         until now.  Chion wonders why he has been called here but
         is unsure to ask at this point.  Time will settle that
         question.  As Zhou starts to lead the party outside
         Chion wonders who or what he'll see in the next few
         hours.  Old Friends?  Old enemies?  Old Masters?  How
         much has this place changed since his last stay here.]

                        -----------------------

        [Time: 5:40pm]

        [As Zhou leads the party outside Arawn makes mental notes
         of the symbols and the citadel layout.  He has seen a god
         live in a shack confident that his power is supreme.  no
         need to have these primitive walls for so called security.
         Of course his parents live in a lavish castle.  Arawn
         asks about the place.]

        Arawn: "The wall in the room where we entered, it bears many
          interesting marks, some of which I recognize while there are
          others I do not. If I may inquire, what meaning do they hold?"

        [With a simple wave of a hand Zhou replies.]

        Zhou: "Even I do not know all the meanings.  You must understand
          the Dark Lands is a collective of similar minds and goals.
          We all respect magic and use it rather than let others use
          our magic for their purposes. That room is a symbol of such
          cooperation.  It tells of all the groups here, their orientations,
          their goals, their dreams and their fears.  Some I understand
          are simple symbols.  Some are runes of protection and
          power.  Some are just so arcane I don't know.  Only the
          High Elder may know that.  When a person obtains a high title
          and is granted his Domain he is allowed to add to the
          collection of symbols in his own right.  But at this time
          with all the domains and all the land taken up new symbols
          will be a long time and coming.  Of course the Expansionist
          wish to grow.  But I will not bore you with those details."

        [Arawn listens intently and learns some interesting things.
         a collective of nobles who all use magic agree to live
         here in peace though their orientations conflict.  A most
         weird paradox of human behavior.  Then he learns of the
         Expanists?  A group that likely wants change in the status
         quo.  All society seems to have such groups.]

        Arawn: "You mentioned that other elves had been here before but
          rarely stayed due to conflicts. I am unsure as to the nature
          of the conflict but is this anything that I may need to
          concern myself with?"

        Zhou: "I only recall the citadel records.  All personal aides
          have to read them.  The problem with most Elves was that
          they could not understand how a chaos oriented wizard who
          worshiped death gods could eat across the table from a
          wizard of life.  This conflict breaks most people's mind
          and they can't handle it or if they do they stand in one
          domain and never travel out.  Most Elves who have been here
          stay only a few weeks at most." [He stops in mid-stride.]
          "I do recall a Elf...can't recall his name some 50 years ago
          or so.  Way before my time.  Seems he was challenged by a
          chaos wizard.  the Elf killed him in magical duel and was
          granted the wizard's domain as is the law of the land.
          The Elf refused fearing the land cursed.  He fled at the
          heels of many who chased him to the very borders.  But
          by his nature he was able to elude pursuit in the great
          forests.  As to your concern you are ..what do they call
          it? Allfae? No.  I'm sorry is that Alfar?  Once word spreads
          of this you likely won't even be bothered.  But there might
          be some foolish kid who knows not of the ways of the gods.
          But I'm sure your skilled enough to handle such challenges?"

                        -----------------------

        [Time: 5:43pm]

        [Outside as Zhou gives the tour from the one spot they
         remain in with a quick overview of the citadel, Caladan
         whispers to Z'leyra about the magics.  the amount of
         magic, wards and teleport block if they exist are
         impressive to Caladan even after seeing what Woundenal
         can do with his home.  Z'leyra whispers back.]

        Z'leyra: "To do such magic is truly impressive...even to
           those highly skilled at magic. The amount of magic that
           must be manipulated to do that permanently for such an area
           is more than some wizards will cast in their lifetimes -
           and that was likely cast within a few days."

        Caladan: "For sure.  Of course power is all show if one wants.
          We all put on armors both real and fake to impress others.
          If there is indeed one ward there might be others.  But
          who says that sheer word of mouth makes the amount grow
          day by day?  To defend this place must take great magic.
          However look at the place its warm here.  Yet in the
          distance I could swear I see faint white of snow on trees.
          Its as if this place a ward to keep it warm here all the
          time.  How could one do such without great power?  The
          High Elder must be divine or have strong supernatural
          allies.  Of course maybe it took several lifetimes of his
          servants doing magic to create all this.  Who knows."

        [Z'leyra knows spells she uses to stop or prevent time and
         aging could be of use to a powerful magic.  Maybe the
         high Elder uses something like that?]

        [After the verbal tour Zhou asks if there are questions.
         Arawn asks about general customs.]

        Zhou: "It is always best to use one hand while talking.
          Since most high power magic uses both hands it could
          be a possible threat.  If you have to use both hands
          do them low below the belt line.  This is a show of
          submission. Most noble customs are here.  Always bow
          to those above your station low.  A simple bow to
          anyone is acceptable.  Never leave a room when someone
          is still speaking even in haste or anger.  That is
          a direct rude sign and will likely result in a challenge.
          As to how to address you should always use the title
          supplied if they give it or others give it.  If you do
          not know their name or title a general Sir or Lady
          may be acceptable to some but not all.  It is important
          to address title by nobility, wizardry specailty,
          religious and finally scholarly levels in that order."

        [As Zhou gives custom notes to Arawn, Unali gets close to
         Z'leyra and speaks in Marentian out of earshot of Kee
         who knows Marentian.]

        Unali: "Z'leyra, we should find time and sit together. Even
          though you have mastered the skill to speak my language, you
          do it no justice. Theirs is the song of the butterfly if the
          eastern wind blows. No amount of translation can catch the
          meaning of that phrase unless the language is understood."

       [Chion smiles at the though of stealing and the low rate
        of crime.  A skilled thief or wizard might be able to
        get away with it.  But of course Chion has been gone for
        many years.  Aside from that quick teleport here where
        he got the staff he hasn't "lived" here in many years.
        Has it been 4 or 5?  Time flies.  In that time the High
        Elder could've installed even more harsh wards.  Not
        even Zhou probably is aware of all the magic in this
        citadel.  A person might be able to steal here but
        would he survive the attempt long enough to enjoy the
        spoils?  Chion recalls a great thief who was from Lemasa,
        or so the legend says, who tried to steal the High Elder's
        private collection of Triad Orchids.  The Orchids said to
        be magical and of great value were planted in the open to
        the side of the manor to be seen by all.  The thief under
        cover of darkness was able to steal all 3 orchids and
        even escape the walls of the citadel.  But after only
        2 miles of travel he was tracked down by servants of the
        High Elder.  These servants who rumors dictate to be
        supernatural creatures quickly dealt with the thief in the
        most bizare and wicked ways.  Legend has it they changed
        the man into a flower but with normal human eyeballs.
        For years birds, bees and creatures would use the thief-flower.
        It is even said many decades later you might find that
        thief-flower in the forest pleading and terrified.  Always
        to be preserved from death but giving back to the forest.
        Always eager Chion tried to find the thief-flower by the
        old records but never found him even with Correll's great
        forestry skills.  Most chalk it up to pure myth to improve
        the power of the High Elder.  Who really knows?]

       [Chion breaks from his reverie and looks to Zhou for answers.]

       Chion: "May I please know now whom is to be the bride and groom
         tomorrow?"

       [Chion waits for the answer and smiles knowing that he
        has the option to attend the wedding or not.  He notices
        Zhou and Kee seem to hesitate in their thoughts.]

       [Zhou explains about Lady Serena.  Chion's flushes for the
        first time in a long time.  Serena the cute green eyed
        gal with pigtails who liked frogs?  Not her?  No way!
        He goes through his options.  He could run through the
        walls then teleport half a continent away.  He could get
        married and settle down here to a gal he doesn't know.
        He could find a dupe to marry her off.  Chion looks to
        Ben'dar.  No.  Chion looks to Caladan.  That might work!]

       [As Chion considers his options Fremea hears about the
        awkward news.  Arranged marriages are common in human
        society especially ones with a noble structure.  Even
        in Donara they exist.  Some marry into money, family
        power or to arrange some treaty like the person is collateral.
        A very stupid situation to marry someone you may never
        love or know for years.  Fremea studies Chion's face and
        realizes he is not expecting this.  The confidence she
        has seen in Chion for weeks fades away as doubt seems to
        get in him.  Then she notices others seem to snicker and
        grin as if in some private joke.]

       Fremea: "I will be glad to attend. I hope it will be
         entertaining."

       [At that Caladan turns around so not to burst out laughing.]

       [Chion straightens up and grips his throat to clear it
        and regain his composure. So this is why the High Elder
        has called him here?  To trap him.  A clever man.  He
        would never marry in such haste.  Duty to his people
        seems to rule this situation.  Who knows maybe she
        is rich and has her own domain?]

       Chion: "Oh. Ok. That makes sense." [He ignores the others
         who are in glee it seems at his expense.  He gives a hearty
         laugh.  He looks to the others.] "Some traps cannot be
         avoided and must be braved instead." [Smiling.]

       [Arawn wonders about this marriage situation.  Would chion
        surely submit to such a thing?  Humans have such odd
        customs.  He recalls his mother trying to arrange a
        marriage for this one court Elf.  But court intrigue
        made the pretty Elf leave.  At the time Arawn wasn't
        much interested in marriage but now he'd wish to be
        just back home to do so.]

       [Ben'dar snickers at the situation.  He crosses his arms
        in enjoyment.  Not that he is being forced to marry
        but to see Chion become nervous and sick.  To see his
        confidence wane.  All men have that weakness and it finally
        hit Chion with his.  Ben'dar can't wait to tell Farseeker
        and Xian about this! In Zen'da culture there are no pre
        arranged marriages.  Marriages do occur young as 13 or 14
        but a warrior tends to earn his wife through respect.]

       [Caladan snickers but doesn't smile at the news.  But
        it fades.  He knows Gib'borah has tried for years to
        get him married off only so he would be forced to stay
        at the tribe.  So Caladan feels bad for Chion.]

       [Raban doesn't get much of the joke not knowing the party
        that well but seems to realize Chion is in a hard spot.]

       [Unali gets the joke and has a internal laugh at the situation.
        For all his confidence a woman can destroy it in seconds.
        Unali knows arranged marriages all too well.  Many of her
        relatives had to go that route.  Some hated it but others
        seem to tolerate it.]

       [Z'leyra doesn't like the trap Chion is in.  She escaped
        life as a youth with a culture that uses arranged
        marriages for power not for love.  But even Z'leyra seems
        to enjoy the fun the party is having.  If she was a gambler
        she'd bet on how Chion would get out of this.]

       Zhou: "Yes. The Lady Serene is expecting you to be quite the
         groom.  We thought you knew?  The message sent to you didn't
         inform you of this?"

       [All around the citadel people are bustling back and forth
        in preparation for the night's dance.  It seems to be
        a combination of dance, music, song, reception and outdoor
        feast.  Already the open field is full of people setting
        up tables and stands for torches or lights.  The field
        can fit a good thousand folks but likely will have upwards
        of 200 or 300 Kee says.  Kee reminds the party weapons will
        be allowed if maintained in belts and sheaths if you wish
        to have them for show.  Gear like backups, satchels and
        the like should be stowed away as some places might be
        a tight spot.]

       [Raban notices in the distance a good 100 odd feet a way
        a average sized man doing acrobatics quite well.  He
        looks to be practicing in the open field.  Its good to
        see a good acrobat again.  It has been a long time since
        he was with his traveling group.]

       Actions? Comments?

       Next update...Friday...

        GM: Yep. Arawn still don't know about the trade with Chion
            as well.  I guess  he forgot?  Maybe he'll see the
            top of the Recap section and re-read the languages
            and we'll figure out what trade is needed. (subtle hint!)
            Till then there will be a time limit on the Katai language
            for purposes of hearing dialogue.  So hopefully it'll be
            soon enough. :)

        GM: People link on website updated.

        GM: Schedule -
              Currently  - 5:45pm
              Tonight    - Dance/Feast/Celebration/Reception - 7pm
              Tomorrow   - Wedding 8am
              Tomorrow   - Wedding Celebration - 10am
              Tomorrow   - High Elder Audience - around noon

        GM: Sorry no update last Friday.  Had a minor house
            disaster to deal with.  So got distracted.  This
            update believe it or not only has reaction to your
            posts.  I need a couple more hours to deal with
            next period - the dance.  So I'll have to put it
            all in the next update.  You can still reply but
            will work on the dance stuff for next update.  I'm
            off friday so have time to work on it. :)

        GM: Actions from 5:45-9pm - Time from now to around when
            the dance starts to end...

            Arawn - Guided tour of citadel and village.
              Arawn - stay in manor tonight? :)

            Ben'dar - Not posted.  Will probably go to tavern
              for drinks unless post some other actions?

            Chion - Mingle with folks at Dance I assume unless
              states otherwise.

            Fremea - Explore citadel.

            Raban - Help to entertain and practice.

            Z'leyra - Unsure.  Mingle I guess.

           So if you wish to clarify the actions till 9pm do so.
           After Dance update all will retire for the night.  Will
           assume going to sleep unless you state something
           otherwise.  After that will move on to the next
           day and those events.

        GM: If you've not looked at the citadel and domain maps
            you can do so on the website.  The Dance will be
            at the field labeled P in the citadel map.  It
            is 650 feet by 250 feet in size.

Will stalrt next update (some of it) wed likely...
and rest Thurs night