[pnpgm] In-between Time Information

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Oct 31 07:23:10 CET 2007

    In-between time Information for new and old players alike.

    This is a brief overview of the In between time and how
    to handle it for new and old players.  If your an old
    player and know how to handle it that's fine.  But it
    has the schedule you'll need below.  For old players
    you can skim the info if you want if you've done this
    before.  This is the Free Form part of the adventure where
    you can do anything you wish.  The document that has
    been on the website for a few weeks contains the same information
    but I'll duplicate it here since its important to understand
    what's needed.  The link will remain on the site until all
    in between time is done for a reference.

    1. Schedule: The below has the schedule for the time before the
       next adventure.  While in normal table game adventures you
       have no clue when the next adventure starts.  But in
       a PBEM its difficult to get everyone on the same page
       at the end and ready for the next adventure.  This is
       why there is a known schedule.  There may be a month
       or two of adventure and 3-4 of down time.  This is how
       it really tends to be more realistic rather than constant
       adventuring.  Since winter is now on it also makes sense
       to wait till spring for common sense.  PLEASE stick to the
       listed schedule and include the dates of when you do what
       actions.

    2. Actions:  There are three types of actions to post.

       A. Generic - This is a broad plan outline.  For example
          you wish to look for ornate plate armor in the local
          shops to buy.  This is sort of a outline.  The good
          thing is its a constant plan of action.  the bad
          thing is the more broad the time period there could
          be more or less of a chance to complete the task.
          The more broad your actions the more it will take
          away from other broader actions.  Decreasing chances
          of success overall.  But if you say to only spend
          X dates to Y date doing this its more specific and
          specialized and more chance of success.  Keep in
          mind though if you think a task will be exceptionally
          hard like buying a 300 room estate or establishing
          your own spy network for example then this kind
          of task will take away from the other 2 areas of
          actions.  So if you have questions on these things
          email me first and let me know and we'll talk about it.

       B. Skill training: Training in a skill takes 3 forms.
          Self education gets 1 point per day.  If you have
          someone more expert or friend to show you the same
          skill you get 2 points per day.  Books may earn
          3 points.  But for instructors and books you may
          have to pay for the supplies/materials and instructor
          fees.  So if you have friends who know the skill
          get with them for free training :)

       C. Spells: Practice casting spells each day or once
          in awhile for pure experience and expertise.

    3. Format:

       Format can help do these actions FAST or slow.  The
       below has examples of format.  The more detailed the
       format is the better.  If you do a simple paragraph
       like:

          One day go to the healer's shop and buy bandages.
          Practice sword skill two days.  Go to blacksmith
          and get new boots...

       That tells me nothing.  Since no dates are there I
       will be forced to assume all that occurs on the
       first day and for the remainder nothing happens.
       So best to use the formats I list below.  This
       is critical for my speed and sanity.  If you want
       to run drafts by me that's fine and I can review.

    4. Encounters -

       Life still goes on.  Encounters can occur.  If you head
       into the forest you could run into a demon or a
       thief in the city.  Because there could be upwards of
       850 encounters for everyone I will do them.  I will
       roll if there are any.  Then roll your character in
       npc format.  i will not cast any spells.  I will only
       react in pure combat defense if needed.  This will
       add experience.  If there is a life threatening situation
       like your attacked by 3 dragons and 14 demons I will
       get with you for advice :).

    5. Public results:

       When your time is done I will post a summary more or less of
       the events.  In a diary like format.  If there is
       something private like killing the king and you want
       that to be kept secret I will do so.  But otherwise
       will assume all would be public (ie told in campfire
       stories or the tavern around ale).  If you absolutely
       don't want anything posted let me know.

    6. Lastly, tips:

       A. Encounters: Let me know how your character would
          typically deal with encounters.  Do you always flee?
          Fight with sword and dagger secondary?  Etc.
       B. If Skill I need the name, how long (days).
       C. If spell, What EL, what are your rules for failure?
          Do you want me to repeat this spell if failed and if
          so how many times?  Keep in mind not all spells
          can be known if failure.  For example Speed you can
          tell works but you have no clue if Purification
          works as there is no pretty lights and colors.

    If at all confused or have questions best to ask now before
    you work on it.  If you don't want to do ANYTHING.  That's
    fine this time is optional.  You could do like Xian and
    his actions consist of 1 paragraph.  Takes 10 minutes to
    write up or you could be like Z'leyra and do 5,000 spells
    in the time bringing down the eyes of the gods for all that
    magic cast in such a short time :)  So with that said the
    below is the added information:

                -------------------------------------

        * Adventure $3/#4 "In Between time"

          Decalis 23-24 - Party returns to Marentia for down time.
                          Too busy selling treasure and catching
                          up on daily activities for training.

         Official in-between time starts

         Decalis 25th

         Decalis 25-31       Total days -  7   [December]
         Janaq    1-31       Total days - 31   [January]
         Febris   1-30       Total days - 30   [February]
         Marqi    1-28       Total days - 28   [March]

         Total days for in-between time - 86

         Adventure #4 will officially begin on
         Marqi 29th (March 29th).

         Actions to plan -

         Per day can plan to practice one skill (combat or other).
         Per day alone gain 1 point per day.  But if do other
         actions or skills reduced by 50% to 1/2 point.  If
         have an instructor can gain double the value.  But if
         not a party member/contact/friend must pay for their
         service.

         For some skills its easy to practice like a sword skill
         by sheer use.  But some skills require more in depth
         use. For example to practice Thief skill may require
         risks involved in doing so per day.  Just keep this in
         mind.

         Training Spells -

         Each day you may also cast spells.  Keeping in mind
         failures and abysmals may occur or backfire.

         Note: Keep in mind for spells my policy is that the
         more spells you cast the more you may be observed by
         the Gods or other forces.  While low ELs no one cares.
         But if your getting like EL10 with Fireball or Death
         Powers for example you may become tagged by the Fire
         or Death gods to investigate.  They may consider you
         a threat or a potential ally.  Sending their Avatars
         (the god's personal top servant in the middle world)
         to investigate.  This should not persuade you NOT
         to cast magic but just keep in mind the risk.  The
         higher the EL the more risk and responsibility one
         may take from it.

         Format of planned actions -

         Example 1:

           Practice Sword skill 12 days
           Practice Whip  skill for 5 days with help/expert

         Example 2:

           Febris 14 - Sword skill practice
           Febris 15 - Horsemanship skill practice
           Febris 23 - Practice Fighting Dagger

         Example 3:

           Febrie 4: Practice Whip, Cast Fireball EL1, Luck EL0
           Febrie 9: Cast Teleport EL3, Cast Divination EL0

                          --------------------

         Important things to include in actions

         1. If Skill - Skill name, how long (days)
         2. If magic - Spell name, EL
         3. If Magic - What are your rules for failures.
            For example, if 1st fails repeat if repeat how many times?)

         Encounters - During your in between time it is very
         likely encounters will take place.  I will roll Random
         encounters for each person.  Due to length of time 10
         or more players need to do 85 plus days of encounters
         (850 days of actions) would be months.  Therefore I
         will do the encounters based on your skills.  I will
         not perform magic.  But if a combat situation will
         randomly roll to defend and such.

         It would take too long to do the simple random encounters
         for each person.  So this is the best policy.  If
         it is a vital (life threatening situation) I WILL
         contact you for further instructions/comments/actions.

         So for encounters I could use the following info:

         1. Normal daily activities (ie visit rich section
            of town mostly or poor section?).  In general terms.
         2. If magic what might be your common defense spells
            in combat situations.
         3. If combat what skills to use mainly for defense?

                     --------------------

         Concentrated events -

         There may be events that require total concentration
         of your time for that day.  For example.  If you
         plan to buy a house, run a ranch, run a tavern,
         buy a ship or gamble.  Those things take time to
         concentrate on and your actions will be limited for
         those days.  For such time consuming actions you can
         ask me if they need time or not.  If they do then
         you will have to use that day for that action rather
         than training.  Working as a job would take alot
         of your time as well.

                        --------------------

         Encounters -

         For normal 'combat' situations I'll need to know what
         your character might tend to do to defend himself.
         Like what kind of combat skills and such.

                        --------------------

         I would prefer all final outline/actions be done in one
         email.  This way I can handle everything at one time
         rather than bits and pieces over time.  First come
         first serve.  Once the plans are finalized I'll do
         any random encounters and process the actions.  This is
         more or less considered the Free Form part of the campaign.
         Since it would take months to do all 10 or more characters
         of free time in great detail I have to do them as quickly
         as I can so for new characters this will be something
         to get adjusted to.  Its still your free time I'll just
         handle stuff like encounters.