[pnpgm] New Player PBEM introduction and comments

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Oct 31 07:22:13 CET 2007

   * PBEM Introduction for New Players

        For new players read on.  For experienced players you can
     read it if you want to.  Might learn something :)

     A. Anatomy of a Update:

        The update looks as follows:

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

       This is the Player Header/Roster.  It contains who is what
       and rarely their status if needed to be updated (like
       hurt or such).  The HT column is Horse Type.  Might look
       like:

            R1 - Riding Horse I     W1 - Warhorse I
            R2 - Riding Horse II    W2 - Warhorse II
            R3 - Riding Horse III   W3 - Warhorse III
            R4 - Riding Horse Iv    W3 - Warhorse IV
       That info is there as a reminder who has what for combat
       and movement at a glance.  For new players let me know
       how you want to be classified in the roster.  Warrior,
       Magician, etc.  Its how much you want to reveal.

       Below the Roster are animals and companions the party
       may have currently with the group.

     This section is a reminder on the Game Website URL.
     Where public and private posts go to.

     Game Update #51 in sequence (file #223)

     This is a game update Number  and file number.
     Each update will have its own separate number. Some may be
     2-3 parts like large combats so they'll have a letter like
     11a or 22c to denote those parts.  File numbers are numbers
     for each file generated.  Each post from players (public)
     is one file.  So game update won't match up to file numbers.
     Both are good for later reference in finding text and other info.

     Admin notes: None.

     There may be times I need to advise you guys of a special note.
     This will be where it is.  It may be a mistake in some old
     update or a vacation warning for me, etc.  Stuff not really
     linked to the game itself.  So keep tabs on this section as well.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]

     This section is where I post all action posts.  Until folks tell
     me they don't want to see it anymore.  Its a recap of all the
     public actions posted.  There are several reasons I post
     stuff here from players.

        1. To show what actions came to me.  If you don't see your
           post here or on the game website or the game archives
           then it NEVER got to me.  You should probably resend it.
        2. The "GM:" comment line is where I add my own comments
           to those actions.  Usually I just say Ack to acknowledge
           them.  But sometimes I may include some GM related
           comments or warnings as a reply that isn't seen in
           the body of the update.

     After this line is the actual body of the update.

        Some areas of interest...

        "GM: ..."

        Where you see these lines are game related GM comments
        or warnings.  I will ask questions to clarify situations
        here as well.

        "[Decalis 20th, 111th day since left Marentia, 47th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest - 59 miles west of Lake Oca]
          [Time: 11:42am]"

        This is important as its the date header.  For those
        who don't recognize the date I'm using Burton's home
        rules for month dates and using Culture Book year info.
        The header may look like the above.  The date is
        important as so you know what events are taking place
        on what days.  Folks have gotten confused and simply
        not looked at the date header.

        "Actions? Comments?
          Next update Monday..."

         This is the end of the update body and shows when
         the next update is. Below it I may include status
         reports and other game related material.

     B. Update Schedule

        I post each update technically Tuesday morning
        usually late 2-3am.  Though I classify it as
        a Monday update.  For Friday's update I tend to
        post it about midnight if I can.  Current
        schedule is Tuesday/Wednesday off for me.  So
        I work the other 5 days.  This means I stay up
        late on Monday night to 3am.  So have good
        amount of time working on Monday's update.
        But for Friday's I only have from about 9pm-12am
        or so to work on it.  So its best and highly
        respected to have actions as soon as possible.
        The sooner the better as I can work on updates
        (especially Friday's) faster.  While it may take
        players 5-15 minutes to read an update  it takes
        me a good 2-3 hours to write one.  For combat
        oriented it could take 4-6 hours.  That's alot of
        time involved (going back and forth on character
        sheets and such).  So sooner the better on actions.
        But I also know folks get busy.  If you get busy
        and get behind I have always said I can hold the
        updates.  Just tell me to hold it and I can.

     C. Posting on Mailing list:

        The PBEM goes out onto a Mailing list.  This means
        it is archived and digested and out on the internet.

        1. Public Action Posts:
           Anything posted to the list for actions and for ALL to
        see should go to:

            pnpgm at abroere.xs4all.nl

           The server may get slow at times.  You may see an
        immediate copy of your post come out right away or
        the following day.

        2. Private Actions

           A. Private email to me:
              Post any private actions or comments you do not
        want seen to:

               longshot at darktech.prg (prefer)
               longshot at cybermax.net (Alternative)

              No one will see it. Keep in mind if you include
        dialogue to others or actions for current events.  It
        won't be seen so I will include those things in the
        next update.  That could mean a delay of 2-3 days.
        So if you want folks to reply to your stuff post it
        all publicly.  Also if you want some stuff public
        and other stuff private.  LET ME KNOW.  Some include
        headers like PRIVATE and all below is private.  Up
        to you.  But if it looks like its going to be seen
        and heard by all I will assume it public unless stated
        otherwise.

           B. Private email to others:
              Sending email to other folks is fine.  This is good
        for plans or interactions.  But if you do so please send
        a CC (carbon copy) to me so I can have a record of it
        and know what's going on.  Thanks.

        3. Archives/Digests

           Digests can be found on the mailing list.  For the link
        to the mailing list website Wout hosts see the Game Website
        link section.  There is also a link for monthly archives.
        You can always check there to see if your posts get out.
        But anything public goes to my game website as well defined
        as its own link.

     D. Format of Actions

        Dialogue (anything spoken should be done in quotes "".
          If no quotes exist it will be thoughts or mental
          comments assumed.

        If you speak in a non native tongue or a common language
        like Marentian note it.

        Actions character does or does can be in [] or ().  I don't
        care which.  But I tend to use [..] to note sections of
        actions or introspections.

        Best way to figure out how to post is see a ton of the
        old updates and see how folks have done it.  There is
        no right or wrong here.

        Maps are done via Ascii letters.  I'm no artist and
        don't have time (especially for combats) to do graphic
        combat maps.  So I use hexes and ascii maps.  You can
        easily see several examples in pat combat updates.
        This is also to help that everyone can view them.
        If I did a graphical thing not everyone might have
        the software handy to view it.  Ascii is in everyone's
        computer.

     E. Retroactive actions:

          I allow posting of actions that are retroactive.  In that
        is the past.  So if there is a conversation that takes place
        3 days ago and you wish to comment do so.  A PBEM has to
        move or it stagnates and one day of game time could be
        months in real time.  Bogged down and not fun.  So I
        as GM move the game along. But I still don't mind retroactive
        actions.  Keep in mind though if those actions can ruin
        current actions those aren't allowed.  For example if
        a guard is questioning a thief 3 days ago and he could have
        the one clue that could solve the murder in the present you
        can't post "So was it Mr X?".  That would ruin the
        current situation.  So the timeline must be solid and
        not messed up.

     F. Contact info

        I have a link on the game website that has contact info.
        For new players please let me know what information
        you want in this file.  Including Email and/or ICQ/IM
        numbers.  Thanks.

     G. Game Website

        Viewing the game website is totally optional.  But
        there might be hidden surprises in the links section.
        I've included links for weeks before I state their
        purpose.  So gives folks a head start on things.  I
        also include pictures and other things not posted
        in the updates.