[pnpgm] Game Update #82 - File #324 - Lake Cure Results

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Oct 9 04:25:48 CEST 2007

#
  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #52 in sequence (file #224)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar glances at Farseeker, then looks down at the claw.  He
          is obviously shaken and doesn't respond to Farseeker's question.
          He shakes his head, as if trying to clear a bad dream from his
          mind.

          He says quietly to Z'leyra, "It is very dangerous.  I don't know
          how I got free of it, but I felt that I was almost lost, snared
          within its power."  He steps back from it, as if it is cursed.
          He will not willingly touch the claw again.

          To Bohusara, he says grimly, "It has some power over animals.
          I used the claw to try to influence the creature, though I don't
          know how much help it was.  I sensed no evil intent in the lake
          creature, only a desire to defend its territory.  But I also
          sensed another creature far away, but much bigger and much more
          powerful."  He shakes his head, confused.

          "It is good that you and your son are alright," he finishes
          lamely. "Will the lake be healed?"
        GM: Ack.

                        -----------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
           Z'leyra will put on her right gauntlet and use it to pick
           up the Claw and put it back in her satchel. Then she will
           use sign language to tell Bohusara that we had captured the
           Claw from some bad people using the Claw to force animals
           to do evil things. The Claw is very powerful and we have
           not yet learned enough about it to safely use, or perhaps
           destroy it. Attempts to learn about it in the past have
           ended badly despite the best magical protections we had.
           The Claw can take over the person wielding it and attempts
           to communicate end with some language none of us know.

           If Bohusara is interested in examining it despite the warning
           Z'leyra will let her, but Z'leyra will keep a close eye on
           both as this is done. she would like others to keep a close
           eye as well.

         [Decalis 17th, 107th day since left Marentia, 43rd day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest - Lake Oca/Deep Forest]
          [Weather -  Overcast, 56 Degrees]

          [Time    -  7:31pm]

          Bohusara: "What is that?" [Looking at the Claw]

          [Ben'dar glances at Farseeker and shakes his head to clear
           his headache.  He looks down at the claw and shivers.
           He raises his hand palm up in a gesture not wanting to
           touch it anymore.  He leans over to Z'leyra near him  and
           speaks quietly.]

          Ben'dar: "It is very dangerous.  I don't know how I got free
             of it, but I felt that I was almost lost, snared within its
             power."

          [Ben'dar steps back from the Claw and looks at it like its a
           cursed item.  He has felt the power before in the Tipi
           but it wasn't as powerful.  He is still unsure if the
           mental contact of the creature seen in his mind was
           evil or not.  But it had great mental control and probably
           would've overwhelmed his mind in seconds he figured if
           it weren't for the break by Bohusara's spell.  He glances
           up at Bohusara and in a low almost child like grim voice.]

          Ben'dar: "It has some power over animals. I used the claw to
            try to influence the creature, though I don't know how much
            help it was.  I sensed no evil intent in the lake creature,
            only a desire to defend its territory.  But I also sensed
            another creature far away, but much bigger and much more
            powerful." [Ben'dar shakes his head as if in a drunk state.]
            "It is good that you and your son are alright," [he finishes
            lamely.] "Will the lake be healed?"

          [Z'leyra places a gauntlet on and picks up the Claw to put
           back into her satchel.  She the signs a brief explanation
           of what it is and how it was found.]

          Bohusara: "Animals?  A strange looking item.  Looks like
            a bear's claw.  So it is magical then." [She pauses and
            stares at the item] "Miklav or the Druids would like to
            look at such an item.  But your reaction implies it may
            be a dangerous item even for them?" [She looks up at
            Ben'dar and looks in his eyes.  Ben'dar returns a stare
            showing that he is clearly unaware of magic results or
            spells and how they should or should not react.] "Maybe
            they shouldn't if it could backfire." [She glances at
            Z'leyra and then the bodies of the creature] "There is
            something about these things that seem to invite bad
            results with magic." [She looks up and turns to face
            the dark lake, now illuminated only by the odd shimmering
            red, green and blue magical lights from her spell.] "As
            tot he lake I just don't know.  It is out of my hand now."
            [She turns back to the party and looks at each person.]
            "Thanks to Arawn, my son and everyone here by being here
            the lake may be cured.  Only time and the gods will
            decide its fate.  Either way I'm freezing.  Let's get
            to the fire." [With that she sets off on foot toward
            the warm fire in her wet clothes.]

          [Thig glances at Ben'dar, Xian and Z'leyra then the claw.
           He shakes his head in thought.]

          Thig: "I warned you of the dangers previously Ben'dar.
             Magic items don't convey evil or good unless they
             are made that way by their masters.  This item I sense
             isn't evil directly but only a tool.  Even if its
             not magical."

          [With that he starts off after Bohusara on foot.]

          Xian: "Ben'dar, you do not want the claw anymore?  Will
            you bury it with them?  Thig did say it was in the
            grave with a creature just like them.  Maybe it should
            belong with them?  That or buried separately in the
            forest so folks don't find this grave.  If not will
            you or Z'leyra take it back to Marentia?"

          [As Bohusara warms by the fire Thig joins her and Strie'bog.
           Strie'bog enters a tent and finds some dry clothes.]

          Thig: "You are bigger than I but I may have some pants
            you might be able to wear?"

          Bohusara: "Thank you.  I'll undress and just use a blanket
             until they dry.  I don't think I would fit any of
             the clothes here.  So this Claw where did you get it?"

          [Thig looks over his shoulder unsure how to answer and
           looks at the others approaching.  But to him this being
           is almost a superior in the Sidh society, more or less.
           He feels obligated to talk.]

          Thig: "We found it in a grave on the Zen'da plains.  We
            were helping a friend with some problems down there.
            Your son Strie'bog was of great use by the way.  He
            has changed over the last few weeks.  It is actually
            not magical.  I sense no magical energy from it. Which
            confuses me as how it can do what it does.  There were a
            series of grave robberies by the barbarians...."

          [He continues the story for some time as others settle down
           and setup tents.  Watches are setup at the lake to ensure
           the creature doesn't enter camp but Bohusara feels it
           likely won't. The remainder of the bodies are buried as
           the hours draw on.  the moon rises and shines on
           the lake like a divine spotlight.]

          [Soon folks eat and relax.  Bohusara spends hours talking
           to folks to learn who they are and vice versa.  Even
           the Vassa seem to chill down and get friendly.  Soon
           as the hours go on sleep from the day's rescue a the
           cabin and here at the lake take their toll and folks
           head to sleep in tents or bedrolls.]

                        ----------------------------

         [Decalis 17th, 108th day since left Marentia, 44th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest - Lake Oca/Deep Forest]
          [Weather -  Overcast, 49 Degrees]

          [Time    -  7:07am]

          [As twilight begins to turn orange from the rising sun all
           rise up early in anticipation of the results.  A quick
           breakfast is made and the fire is heated as the temperature
           declined in the last few hours.  All stand by the lake
           as the sun breaks the far east horizon but isn't seen
           through the thick forest.]

          [Thig and Bohusara take to the sky and fly over the lake.
           From the lake shore the water seems dark due to the
           sun still low.  Over the lake both flyers zoom and
           then eventually come together.  For several seconds they
           talk and then fly toward the party.  They land on
           the shore.  With the expression of a proud mother of
           a forest Bohusara speaks.]

          Bohusara: "It looks like it worked.  Most of the water is
            blue not brown.  There are patches on the north edge
            of brown water but it may take a couple of days to
            recycle the water.  My spells and creation seem to
            have ended shortly ago.  I do not detect them at all"

          Thig: "Its amazing but it does look like it worked."

          Bohusara: "I could not have done it without help.
            Blessing from Arawn's parents, the stone from Z'leyra,
            general prayers and good wishes from everyone
            else.  I will leave the Vassa here to monitor it
            and let us know if it doesn't work." [She looks to
            the skies and back down] "The Solstice Ceremony is
            soon in a few days.  We should return to meet with
            Miklav.  I'm sure he is nervous dealing with the
            Druids, though he doesn't act like it.  He knows
            I'm safe.  I've sent word ahead.  The ride back there
            will be pleasant as I get to spend time with you all
            and my son."

          [Z'leyra sighs and looks to the lake wondering if the
           stone she gave is on the lake floor or gone entirely.
           But it was a good sacrifice for the cause.  Before
           she can sign a question about her voice situation she
           is interrupted by one of the Vassa.  They yell and
           point to the western edge of the lake.  There in the
           dark brush looks to be some lumpy strange object.  The
           party head that way and inspect it.]

          [The object seems to have been the lake creature washed
           up on shore or forced on shore by the magics Bohusara
           created.  The 20 tentacles seem to be shriveled and
           most are burnt.  They look to be 3-8 feet in length and
           have fleshy arm like look to them with a stub like
           point to them.  The center of the tentacles is the
           odd thing.  It is a mass the size of a beach ball.  It
           looks like a pale skin color pink shriveled up brain.
           In fact two parts of a brain.  In fact it looks like
           a human brain but most brains look the same for
           most creatures.  It is very lumpy and greasy looking.
           It is burnt and shriveled as well.  With limbs it
           is pushed over and a single small hole is on the ground.
           It almost looks like a squid but more ugly looking.]

          Farseeker: "Ugly! Guess we better bury it if its poisonous
            so forest creatures don't eat it."

          Bohusara: "Good idea."

          [The Vassa agree to do so without touching the creature.]

         Trembyl: "That reminds me.  What do we do with the Staves
           and orbs we found in the small building and those
           on the east shore?"

         Farseeker: "Bury the staffs as well but carefully.  We
           could roll them with limbs into a blanket and bury
           them that way.  The orbs bury them as well I say whatever
           they are used for."

         [Bohusara turns to the others.]

         Bohusara: "Well.  We have some healing to do.  Let's return
           to the camp."

         [At the camp she places hand on Boyzdar and heals him
          completely.  He spins around excited to be in great
          condition again.  She ruffles his fur and tickles his
          stomach.]

          GM: Status of players by morning

               Player       Health      Energy     Mana
               Arawn          90%         65%       21%
               Strie'bog      15%        100%       45%
               Unali          76%        100%       -
               Xian          100%        100%       86%
               Chion         100%        100%       98%
               Trembyl       100%        100%      100%
               Thig          100%        100%      100%
               Farseeker     100%        100%       -
               Z'leyra       100%        100%       90%  [Estimated]
               Ben'dar       100%        100%        -
               Royzdar       100%         -          -
               Horses        100%        100%        -
               Corona        100%        100%        -
               Bohusara      100%        100%       95%
               Vassa         100%        100%        -

              [Energy - poison effects, etc.]

          [Bohusara approaches Z'leyra and speaks a few words
           in three languages.  She stares at Z'leyra and nods.]

          Bohusara: "You may speak Shaman Z'leyra.  I detect
            the aura of failure is gone."

          [Z'leyra looks at Bohusara in wonder that she could
           detect magic abysmals?  Maybe a long lost Sidh spell
           or something special to her and the forest?]

          Bohusara: "That leaves Unali, Strie'bog and Arawn
            to heal more injuries.  Looks like natural healing
            didn't help Arawn from the looks of it.  Want
            me to heal you with my mist spell or Z'leyra or
            heal yourself?"

          [Ben'dar knows Z'leyra has the Claw again and wonders
           if she should turn it over to Bohusara or Miklav
           to keep safe.  Maybe send it to Cetric?  Maybe send
           it to Kaylle he has heard about to study it?  So
           many options and of course to just bur it and forget it.
           But it is powerful and who knows if it will be useful
           or deadly in the future.]

          [Arawn looks at the lake and the party.  He recalls the
           events during his prayer and contemplates its meanings
           in many ways.  Maybe he was wrong about Bohusara?  She
           clearly saved the lake and wasn't a threat to the party.
           In fact he has no doubt she could've killed half the
           party before anyone could get a good defense up.  No she
           cares about this forest and this forest has one, no two
           great guardians in Bohusara and Miklav.  He wonders if
           he should stay in the Faerry Hill among the others of
           his kind or travel to this land called Marentia?]

          [As Chion bemuses about the lake he just figures if he
           could to have just drained the lake and start over.
           As he prepares his gear he continues to notice the
           sensation of the Staff.  It continues to be cold and
           warm at various times and for no reason.  He suspects
           there is definitely more to the staff than meets the
           eye.  Maybe soon he'll learn what...]

          [Farseeker looks at the mound of burial spots in the forest
           where the creatures are.  He is happy to have none of
           his friends dead.  In fact this whole mission only saw
           a few Vassa dead.  The one party that encountered Pan'to
           and his bunch when they had Bohusara going to the cabin.
           But these creatures are quite formidable.  He'll have
           to inform his superiors in the military about this.  They
           should learn more and prepare defenses against their
           own weapons.]

          Farseeker: "Anyone happen to find those throwing things...
            bugs they threw?  Alive?"

          [No one nods meaning no one did.  Only crushed bugs in
           shells.]

          Farseeker: "I keep one staff separate wrapped in blankets.
            I'm going to place it on the wagon.  No one touch it.
            I'm sending it back to Marentia for others to study
            and learn from.  Assuming it lives for too long without
            its masters and food...if they eat?" [He scratches his
            unshaven chin in thought.]

          Thig: "That is a good idea.  I think a couple should also
            be taken back to Mertz and his group to study.  Maybe
            one or two of the orbs in that shed place if they've
            not shriveled up."

          Trembyl: "I wish we could've studied that snake hood.
            But it also had to be destroyed.  Maybe some Kotothi
            experts might know of these things.  If they are
            liked to the devil."

          [Unali listens to the talk while she prepares her gear
           for the trip.  Yes.  She will also have to inform
           Duke Aren of these things.  But should she?  She
           has no direct obligation to him.  Only has become
           close friends and ally.  But in exchange maybe she
           can learn more things about her long forgotten homeland
           of Katai for future missions.  Yes.  She will have
           to consider the pros and cons on the trip back.]

          Xian: "Hey!  I didn't almost die this go around!"
            [He grins and raises a fist]

          Thig: "Watch out!  A falling leaf!"

          [Xian flinches and instinctively moves out of the way
           and then realizes the joke and laughs.]

          [For the last 12 or more hours Strie'bog has quiet
           in his own thoughts.  He is torn between helping
           his mom here and going back to Marentia.  He looks
           at his mother with eyes of concern and wonders about
           her health.]

          [Z'leyra is happy to have a voice back for now until
           it might happen again or worse.  She definitely is
           leery about these devices of the creatures.  The Staff,
           the orb and Claw.  All linked to the same race it seems.
           All have that strange non magical sense and yet have
           a strong magic defense.  A paradox.  Or could it be
           that the gods simply don't want to give details or
           god forbid not even KNOW the information?  Something
           to consider in the next few days...]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Friday...

          GM: What to do with?
              1. The Claw
              2. The staffs/orbs
              3. the creature.

          GM: You may notice I tend to ramble on with text.  One big
              reason is I want everyone involved somehow.  Like
              a book.  I like all characters to have some memory of
              each event.  If its introspection's, reflections,
              memories, thought processes or just rude mental
              comments then I feel I give each character a chance.
              I think I have come to know each personality well
              enough to figure out what may be in the mind of that
              character.  While you can also do the same style
              of comments and reflections, I'll do mine if none
              exist.  If they do then I'll cut down on that
              character.  This may make short updates long but
              I think its fun.  Some personal "thinking" may
              include clues, background hooks or other tidbits
              for fun.  I'm open though to any comments on this
              process.  If you want me to stop all together this
              boring stuff or stop it for your character let me
              know.  I'm always open to criticism.  :)

          GM: I mentioned in a previous update I would post CEP/MEP
              scores.  Since I didn't get comments to the contrary
              here they are with some other reports.  Any expertise
              or CPs will be emailed in a few weeks when the adventure
              is officially over.  This is just a report for gee
              whiz purposes.  This does not include overflow points
              for expertise that roll over into experience points.

              * Points earned this adventure
                       Player      CEP     MEP
                     Ben'dar       561      -
                     Farseeker     512      -
                     Arawn         171     580
                     Xian           97      33
                     Chion         294     450
                     Trembyl       459      32
                     Strie'bog     248     105
                     Thig          223      68
                     Unali         452      -
                     Z'leyra       167    3556  [No not a typo]

          GM: I will soon email each of you your CPs earned and other
              info I need to ask for.

          GM: Timeline on the website has been updated.  Here is how
              it will unfold:

      Decalis  17   - [107    ]  [43   ]  Forest, Bohusara/Lake rescue

      Decalis  18-19- [108-109]  [44-45]  Forest, Go back to Sacred Forest
      Decalis  20-22- [110-112]  [46-48]  Sacred Forest, Solstice Celebration

              This means 2 days of travel and 3 days of celebration.

          GM: With the known timeline here is what I need from you guys.

              1. Skill training for last 5 days (2 travel, 3 sacred forest)
              2. What are your plans during travel and in the celebration.
                 I figure 3 days to give folks time to chill down and
                 enjoy the celebration and for folks to spend time with
                 each other (Strie'bog/mother, Bohusara/everyone else,
                 druids/Arawn, Ben'dar/Pasha, etc.).

              With the above information I'll do the skill points then
              expertise for now will be determined.  Actions and other
              things will be done in later updates.  Once the skill
              points are figured I'll email you info.  Then in
              the coming weeks depending on how much actions are done
              at the celebration the adventure will end.  I will then
              announce the In-between time.  This will allow you to
              figure out actions for the next period before the
              next adventure begins.  During that time I will work
              on character in between actions and encounters (if any).
              It will be first come first serve on actions and returns.
              Course Z'leyra tends to do a few hundred spells so that
              may take 1-3 weeks depending on my time alone.

          GM: Just a side note.  Some sheets have been updated for
              any 'extra' or bonus expertise in skills.  Skills
              learned through action or subconscious action like
              language and such.  Just being around Vassa might rub
              off in the language area for example.

          GM: Three new players will be joining the next adventure.
              As a result some of the other NPCs or less powerful
              characters will be gone for next adventure.

              Arawn - You can decide during the celebration to stay
                      in the Sacred Forest or go to Marentia?
              Ben'dar - Can go home to your village, Caladan's or Marentia.
              Chion   - Guess you still plan on Cetric?
              Strie'bog - Want to stay the winter with mother?

          GM: One final thought - I know chion initially planned to
              return to Cetric but for folks going back to Marentia
              you guys will have to iron out those details.  He
              may be willing to do some Teleport trips for you
              guys (up to him).  If not then it'll be another
              month or so during riding/encounters.

              From the pavassa forest to Sivas its around
              60 hexes or 1200 miles.  From forest to Caladan's tribe
              and the Teleport Circle setup by Chion earlier is
              40 hexes or 800 miles.  From the village to
              Cholchara another 10 (200 miles) and then another
              10 (200 miles) to Sivas city.  This is a error of
              5 or so hexes plus or minus.  but looks to be right.
              Chion can teleport over 1000 miles.  So would need
              to make 2 jumps.  Likely best to teleport to village
              then to Cholchara or Sivas.  Keep in mind Arawn
              will have to help in transmutating horses as at least
              10 or so horses are coming back not including party
              animals.  If not it will take several jumps to get
              everyone home.  But again this is all up to Arawn and
              Chion in the end.