[pnpgm] Game update #44 - File #193 - Plans are prepared

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue May 15 06:52:57 CEST 2007

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update 244 in sequence (file #193)

     Admin notes: none.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          When Thig announces that the bush has a Terror spell
          attached Z'leyra gets overconfident and approaches the
          bush (relying upon her MDV and Alectorius to keep her safe
          from the Terror).
        GM: Ack. Alect stone eh?  Well forgot to say you took it
            out of the satchel and hold it :)

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar gets increasingly angry at the cowardly traps the
          party finds along the way.  He determines in his mind that
          whoever these people are, they should all die painfully.
          He stays well away from the traps when they're identified,
          his distrust of magic making him very wary.

          When the party reaches the cabin, Ben'Dar whispers to the
          others, "The guards outside should be easy enough to deal
          with.  But obviously these people also possess powerful
          magic.  We need to neutralize it."  Looking at Thig, he
          says, "Can you identify who the ones with magic are?
          Maybe you could go invisible and do some scouting after
          dark?"

          He grins and says, "They ambushed us before.  I say we
          return the favor under cover of night.  If a small,
          invisible strike force can move in from the rear of the
          cabin, the rest of us can charge from the forest on
          horseback.  When the fight erupts, any magic they have
          will be neutralized by our surprise force from behind."

          He looks around the group for feedback to the plan or
          other ideas.

          Oh...one other thing, when he is talking about scouting,
          he adds, "They've laid quite a few magic traps for us
          already.  I'd be surprised if there weren't several more
          protecting the cabin.  Can anyone detect those?"

        From Unali: [Re: Actions]
          When Ben'dar speaks about waiting for the night: "I agree
          that darkness would make an unobserved approach of the cabin
          much easier. But I do worry that they laid out several more
          traps near the cabin, as they did in the woods. We have to
          take care of them and at the same time be swift, so they
          don't have time to harm the forest while we are caught up
          with traps.

          Even more, I am not sure how much time we have, but I feel
          Strie'bog can tell us more."

          Unali is in favour of waiting for darkness and then sneaking
          to the cabin. If that is the plan, she will probably go alone,
          as usual. If the remainder of the party feels like not
          waiting, she completely understands and will mount her horse
          and intends to charge and advises others to do the same.

          "If we go in now, in cover of daylight, we should do it as
          fast as we can. Charging on horses we can close the distance
          fastest. Even more if Z'leyra could help us out with speed or
          invisibility. That might give us the edge we need."
        GM: ACk.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion says, "Well, I had help retaining my magical abilities
          for just an occasion as this. Who wants to come with me into
          the cabin and create a diversional rescue? I suggest we go in
          invisible and insubstantial like in Clima. I can teleport us
          in or near enough to go through the wall. I can then teleport
          out or if there are only a few inside we can slay them easily
          before leaving. We can then signal from inside for the party
          to advance and have them trapped between those inside and
          those outside." he stops for a minute " and the sap is wet
          and will most likely not set ablaze easy..." Those who know
          him recognize the slightly insane look of "attack and kill"
          in his eye.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: more actions]
          Z'leyra tells the party "I think I might be able to cast
          Orient Self <out of range of the enemy hearing the drumming>
          then get closer and cast Invisibility <max EL> on some us,
          then those touching me can go Insubstantial when I cast it
          <EL 1> and together we should be able to get into the cabin
          safe from most (though not all) potential attacks.

          When the Insubstantiability wears off we can positioned to
          best advantage to deal with whatever the situation is."

         [Decalis 16th, 107th day since left Marentia, 42nd day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]

          [Location: Pavassa Forest - Eastern Edge/On Plains]

          [Previously - ]

            [At the Terror Trap Z'leyra approaches the spell trap.
             Thig watches intently as she approaches.  Confident
             of her Magical Defense.  As she approaches she thinks
             of her Alectorius stone.  But she then realizes its
             in her satchel and she forgot to get it out first.
             As she realizes this Thig sees the mana aura of the
             spell trigger and fizzle out.  The spell does not
             affect Z'leyra.  Thig inches closer and tries to
             sense the trap but finds no other mana signature
             on the bush.]

            Thig: "The spell trap is gone."

            [The party continues and ends the Illusion spell
             trap as well.  Ben'dar finds the use of magical
             traps cowardly but he wonders if the enemy knows
             the party has a Faerry and Elf along.  Such creatures
             could sense the magic can't they?  Ben'dar thinks
             the traps then are set for the Vassa people.  Anger
             boils in him as he thinks of innocent children
             who might stumble against these traps and others
             they have missed....]

            Trembyl: "I wonder who many traps there could be
              out there we missed?"

            Thig: "Could be dozens more.  My guess is they would
              place it outside the normal village areas so let's
              assume up to 2 miles from the plains.  Maybe a
              good 2 or 3 square mile area?  When we return to
              the Faerry Hill I'll ask Vul'heim to send more
              Faerry to detect and disable them all.  We could
              spend hours or days looking for them while we
              are distracted with that things can get bad
              for Strie'bog's mother."

                       ----------------------------

          [Time - 10:05am - Current situation]

            [The party begins their discussion on their plan of
             attack against the cabin...]

            [Ben'dar is the first to speak up....]

            Ben'dar: "The gaurds outside should be easy enough to
              deal with.  But obviously these people also possess
              powerful magic.  We need to neutralize it." [Looking
              at Thig, he says,] "Can you identify who the ones with
              magic are? Maybe you could go invisible and do some
              scouting after dark?"

              [Ben'dar grins] "They ambushed us before.  I say we
              return the favor under cover of night.  If a small,
              invisible strike force can move in from the rear of
              the cabin, the rest of us can charge from the forest
              on horseback.  When the fight erupts, any magic they
              have will be neutralized by our surprise force from
              behind."

              "They've laid quite a few magic traps for us already.
               I'd be surprised if there weren't several more
               protecting the cabin.  Can anyone detect those?"

            [Thig thinks about the scene and replies.]
            Thig: "From the forest edge to the cabin its too far
              for me to detect magic.  I'd have to be closer.
              Same with the people.  Going invisible is also
              a option but in the day flying would be detected
              by noise, as in night.  So walking would be it
              and the ground is level and clear.  Tracks could
              be easily detected."

            Farseeker: "That's what I saw.  The ground looked to
              be sweep clear.  To detect tracks likely.  Plus
              the dust of the plains would easily show movement."

            Trembyl: "Could use illusions to cover the movement."

            [Unali replies to Ben'dar's plan]
            Unali:  "I agree that darkness would make an unobserved
              approach of the cabin much easier. But I do worry that
              they laid out several more traps near the cabin, as they
              did in the woods. We have to take care of them and at the
              same time be swift, so they don't have time to harm the
              forest while we are caught up with traps.

              Even more, I am not sure how much time we have, but I
              feel Strie'bog can tell us more."

              "If we go in now, in cover of daylight, we should do it
               as fast as we can. Charging on horses we can close the
               distance fastest. Even more if Z'leyra could help us out
               with speed or invisibility. That might give us the edge
               we need."

            Thig: "That's what I worry about.  If there is some
              trap taking the cabin what if it backfires and does
              something to the forest? I will have to spend some
              time sneaking around the edge for a mile or so
              to sense for traps.  When we saw the cabin few
              minutes ago I didn't sense anything but we should
              be careful."

            Trembyl: "Waiting for darkness is something like 8
              hours away.  Do we have that much time?"

            Xian: "Vasilly explained to me at the festival last
              night that the Green Lady loses life force each
              day she is away from the forest.  So time could
              be critical here.  the problem is how many days
              can she stay away?"

            Chion: "Well, I had help retaining my magical abilities
              for just an occasion as this. Who wants to come with me
              into the cabin and create a diversional rescue? I suggest
              we go in invisible and insubstantial like in Clima. I can
              teleport us in or near enough to go through the wall. I
              can then teleport out or if there are only a few inside
              we can slay them easily before leaving. We can then signal
              from inside for the party to advance and have them trapped
              between those inside and those outside." [He pauses
              for a minute] " and the sap is wet and will most likely
              not set ablaze easy..." Those who know him recognize the
              slightly insane look of "attack and kill"  in his eye.

            Xian: "Remember though.  We can go insubstantial but
              we'd have to levitate inside."

            Z'leyra: "I think I might be able to cast Orient Self <out
              of range of the enemy hearing the drumming> then get
              closer and cast Invisibility <max EL> on some us, then
              those touching me can go Insubstantial when I cast it
              <EL 1> and together we should be able to get into the
              cabin safe from most (though not all) potential attacks.

              When the Insubstantiability wears off we can positioned
              to best advantage to deal with whatever the situation is."

            GM: Arawn sent me an email on actions, lots of things.  But
                mainly for me.  No dialogue to post here.  So Arawn
                if you want folks to know your plan you may want
                to vocalize it :)

            Thig: "I think a day attack is best.  We don't know
              how much time we have.  For all we know she could
              be dead or dying.  Who knows what they are doing
              to her in there.  If we wait 8 hours she could
              be dead.  I don't want that on my conscious.
              I do think some should enter the cabin before we
              attack or at least approach it.  The outside forces
              should be easy to deal with."

            Trembyl: "Some should stay at the forest edge as
              archers to take out lose ends.  if all attack we
              should have reinforcements.  I do think we should
              know more about the cabin but doing a scouting
              operation could backfire if we don't plan it well."

            Xian: "I think we should attack soon but we need to
              have Thig check for traps and Corona needs to
              fly and look for more Humagi in the area.  It
              would not be good to attack and then find
              more reinforcements come."

            [Farseeker stands against a tree and listens to all the
             plans.  Everyone has good plans he thinks.  He knows
             little about magic.  But he knows tactics.  He frowns
             as he considers all aspects.]

            Farseeker: "The problem is the hostage situation.  If
              if it weren't that we'd just go right in and slaughter
              them all.  The King has a special group that deals
              with just hostages.  I was never part of it.  But
              I heard about their training.  They would try to
              talk and get their demands first.  The problem here
              is they've not asked for demands.  Nor do i think
              they will.  I also don't think they'll talk.  Once
              we make our presence known they'll likely to endanger
              Bohusara further.  So an attack is the only option.
              The problem is when day or night.  Now we have the
              sun toward us giving them only a slight edge for
              a few seconds.  But after that its a level field.
              At night though only the Sidh and those with magic
              will be level to see well.  But they will be sleeping
              or mostly sleeping.  But then there is the time factor.
              How much time do we have?"

            [Strie'bog listens to the party discuss quietly.  For
             minutes he has been using the spell to ensure that
             his mother is indeed in the cabin.  Based on the
             location when they were south and now west of the
             cabin she has to be there.  Assuming the spell has
             not backfired.  Strie'bog wonders about his vision
             though?  There is no lake here.  The cabin is on
             the plains not in the forest.  He looks around and
             sees the trees and bushes all green for the most
             part aside from the normal winter loss trees and
             bushes suffer.  The trees look all healthy.  Could
             his vision be wrong? But then the second vision
             clearly shows these men to be the ones to take her.]

            Farseeker: "We must consider our best use of man
              ...people power." [He grins at Unali] "We have
              Ben'dar skilled on the horse.  Thig is best
              in the air not on the ground.  I'm best on
              the ground doing a front attack.  We also have
              archers like Strie'bog, Xian and trembyl.  Then
              we have the powerful magic users Arawn, Chion
              and Z'leyra.  So who does what?  Well I suggest
              that a group of 3 only enter the cabin.  Too many
              might spoil the whole operation.  Two would be
              best in my view.  If I were to suggest I'd say
              Z'leyra and Chion enter.  Z'leyra should be able
              to deal with any spells.  Chion can then deal
              with physical threats.  Ben'dar and Unali could
              hold back on horses and then charge in.  Trembyl
              and Xian can fire their weapons from the forest
              cover.  Thig should fly aerial support while
              invisible.  Strie'bog would do well as an archer
              as well.  Arawn and myself can then charge
              in on foot and help the two riders.  But this
              is only a rough plan.  I do know one thing that
              helps in hostage situations.  Surprise tends to
              help the hostage better.  The quicker the better.
              So I suggest a daytime attack."

                        ------------------------

          GM: Plan Summary -

                Arawn: Use much magic, Will go with party
              Ben'dar: Go after Dark, Inviso recon of cabin first
                Chion: Attack cabin first via Inviso/Insubstantial
            Farseeker: Skilled approach, daytime attack
                 Thig: Day attack, go with party view
            Strie'bog: **No post yet**
              Trembyl: Archer support, Day or night
                Unali: Enter cabin at night if not charge enemy
                 Xian: Day attack, goes with party
              Z'leyra: Enter cabin inviso, day or night

          GM:     Day Attack: 3
                Night Attack: 3
                     Unknown: 2
                     Anytime: 2

          GM: General consensus is some form of Cabin recon or
              intelligence gathering before the battle begins.
              But no majority on the time frame.  Common
              plan on Cabin is Inviso and Insubstantial recon.

          GM: Strie'bog aka Robert sent an email last week saying
              he was going out of town.  But didn't say for
              how long.  Since this is a critical time for him
              it will depend on some of his replies at this
              time.  From him he can help decide the time of
              attack and how the attack goes.  Once I have
              a clear majority of what the plan is we can
              iron out the details later.  But the combat
              won't start this week it looks like since we
              got to iron out the details.  If you have
              changes or modifications to the plans above
              please say so.  Continue to talk the plan
              out via the list all you want as well.
              Friday assuming posts come in I'll iron out
              more details at that time.  Maybe by then
              Strie'bog will post (if back in town) and we
              can move to combat next week.  But theres no
              rush on it at this point.  I do realize
              folks might be having summer vacations coming
              up and such.  So we can take breaks. :)

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Friday....

          GM: Once plans are made I'll flesh out the map more
              with current player positions and such.

  Rescue Camp Map - 375'x130'

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345
%%%%%%/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ A
%%%%% \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \ B
%%%%%%/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ C
%%%%%%\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \ D
%%%%%_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  4__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  6__/ E
%%%%%%%__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \ F
%%%%__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ G
%%_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \ H
%%%%%%/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \____________________/  \__/ I
%%%%% \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°I__/  \ J
%%%%%%/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°I  \__/ K
%%%%%%\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°I__/  \ L
%%%%%_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I°°°°°Cabin°°°°°°°°°I  \__/ M
%%%%  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ H\_HH HH__/I°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°I__/  \ N
%%%%%_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \H-------/H \I°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°I  \__/ O
%%%%% \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ H\DHH  H__/I°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°I__/  \ P
%%%\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°I  \__/ Q
%%%/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \ R
%%%\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ S
%%%%% \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/1 \3_/  \__/  \__/  \ T
%%%%__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_**  \__/  \__/  \__/ U
%%%%% \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__2  \__/  \__/  \ V
%%%%%_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ 9\__/  \__/  \_7/ W
%%%%% \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \ X
%%%%%_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__8  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ Y
%%%%  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \ Z
123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345
         1         2         3         4         5         6         7

  Legend - 1 Hex    = 10 feet                 North
           1 Row    =  5 feet [A-Z]            /I\
           1 column =  5 feet [1-75]       West<*>East
           **       = [U54/55] - Campfire Pit
           %%       = Left Side - Forest Edge, Bushes, Trees
           --       = Log Railing - For horses?   [O36-O42] 4 feet tall.
           I, _     = Cabin wall
           °        = Cabin Roof

  Positions -

     Player   Code  Location        Weapons               Status
     #1        1    [T53]       Scimitar, Buckler      Sitting
     #2        2    [V58]       Scimitar               Standing
     #3        3    [T56]       Sword,    Buckler      Sitting
     #4        4    [E40]       Sword, Bow             Standing
     #5        5    [Y100]*     Sword,    Buckler      On horse, Off map
     #6        6    [E70]       Sword, Bow             Standing
     #7        7    [W72]       Scimitar, Bow          Standing
     #8        8    [Y37]       Sword,    Buckler      Standing
     #9        9    [W57]       Scimitar, Buckler      Sitting
     #10       D    [P38]       Scimitar               Tending to horses

     Arawn     A
     Ben'dar   B
     Chion     C
     Farseeker F             [Will
     Thig      H                   Place
     Strie'bog S                         On
     Trembyl   T                            Map
     Unali     U
     Xian      X                                Later]
     Z'leyra   Z
     Corona    E
     Boyzdar   W

     Horses    H    10 Tied up around Railing at G40
                     1 at Y100 [Off map]

     Note: All Humagi wearing Leather Armor and Leather Helmet