[pnpgm] Game update #42 - File #184 - Party teleports away

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue May 8 02:07:13 CEST 2007

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update 242 in sequence (file #184)

     Admin notes: none.

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          As the group debated whether it would be wise for Chion to
          teleport the horses along with the party a thought came to
          Arawn. Waiting for a moment of quiet before speaking up he
          says to the party,

          "I think the horses may be needed as the longer the rescue
           takes the worse things will be. I know that Chion can only
           teleport so much weight but I have an idea. I can transform
           the horses into small stones, something that could fit into
           a hand, and then they could be teleported with us. Once we
           arrive at our destination I can undo the magics and restore
           the horses to normal. It will be taxing on me but I should
           still be able to defend myself if pressed. So, is everyone
           alright with this?"
        GM: Ack. Good plan.  Good thinking.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Yes, Ben'Dar will also take some rations, the potion, and
          the battle horn.

          OOC:  I get these updates via my gmail acct, so I can access
          it at home or at work.
        GM: Ack.  Thanks.  Yeah your a quick reply to emails.  So
            appreciate that.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra chooses to take the buckler but to leave the
          bastard sword.

         [Decalis 16th, 107th day since left Marentia, 42nd day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest - Sacred Forest - Sacred Forest]

         [Time - Near Sunrise]

         [As the party gather the impatience begins to show on
          Strie'bog.  At the first rays of sunlight he paces
          the forest floor.  Finally what seems forever to
          Strie'bog; Miklav, 2 Druids, Vassily and Stok
          approach.  The party wonders if Vassily and the 2 druids
          have been told about the disappearance.  Likely not.
          But if Stok was informed through indirect methods then
          maybe the Druids know.

          Thig and Arawn are surprised to find Mertz and Vul'heim
          missing.  Mertz knows of the situation being there when
          it was discussed.  The 2 druids and Vasilly stand to the
          side of the forest as Miklav approaches.]

         Miklav: "Good luck on your journey.  The Forest Sentinels
           will eventually report to us of any success or failure.
           But if you do not return by tomorrow I will have to
           get Mertz on a rescue of our own.  But that will mean
           sharing the news with the others." [He glances over
           his shoulders] "So you have one day to do this.  The
           forest will help when and if it can.  But I sense
           in this case it won't be of great use."

         Thig: "Do we have any demands or information from the
           kidnappers?"

         Miklav: "No.  Nothing yet.  If they had demands the
           Vassa they killed in their travel east would've
           been left with one alive to issue such demands.
           I suspect though being so close to the Solstice it
           may not be a coincidence."

         Thig: "But she would have little to do in such an event
           is that true?"

         Miklav: "Yes.  The Druids are the main ones involved.  She
           tends to only do a general blessing for the forest and
           its inhabitants."

         Xian: "I still don't understand how Chion knows where to
           teleport to exactly?"

         Miklav: "Through Strie'bog's vision and my own information
           from the forest and its guardians.  It would seem that
           she is definitely in the east.  Almost due east from here.
           Based on Stok's report of where the Vassa were attacked
           and the reports from other creatures we've rounded down
           a location in the east he can teleport to.  It likely
           won't lead to her exact location.  But it will be a start.
           It seems there has been magic to elude and pursuit and
           information gathering."

         Thig: "Is that possible against you and the forest?"

         Miklav: "If the forest is weakened by her own ...injuries
           or being knocked out by some spell then yes.  I know
           for a fact she is still alive at this point.  I can
           still faintly feel her.  But beyond that the sense is
           cloudy and confusing." [He glances back over his
           shoulder than back at the part] "They are here to
           bless the party and one is skilled in Divination he
           will be able to tell if the teleport will harm any of
           the party due to an unknown teleport.  For all they
           know you are after the attackers of the Vassa but do not
           know anything of her disappearance."

          [The party picks up their loads of gear.  For the most
           part all are on the backs but for Z'leyra they have
           to be situated and carried.  Miklav waves the druids
           forward as the teleport is about to start.  All this
           time Arawn has been quiet and pondering things.  He
           could help the party out greatly but he would be weak
           in the process.  But in this case it may be why he is
           here for this very thing.  Arawn raises a hand to the
           the party.]

          Arawn: "I think the horses may be needed as the longer the
             rescue takes the worse things will be. I know that Chion
             can only teleport so much weight but I have an idea. I
             can transform the horses into small stones, something that
             could fit into a hand, and then they could be teleported
             with us. Once we arrive at our destination I can undo the
             magics and restore the horses to normal. It will be taxing
             on me but I should still be able to defend myself if
             pressed. So, is everyone alright with this?"

          Trembyl: "Transmute them? A powerful spell.  But it could
            work.  But I thought such dark magic wouldn't be cast
            by Elves...certainly not Alfar?"

          Thig: "while the spell can be cast in evil ways we Sidh
            also use it so no.  It would be fine for him to do so."

          Xian: "Great let's get the horses then."

          [A broad smile comes over Ben'dar as he can take Tef'wo
           with him.  Ben'dar, Vassily, Trembyl, Farseeker and Unali
           all head to fetch the horses as the others wait.]

          [Strie'bog continues to pace as this delays things further.
           The sun is now showing more blue and the orange glow will
           soon be here.  He continues to pace for some time.
           Vassily picks up on this and tries to chat with him and
           distract him as the horses are fetched.]

          [Soon some 25 minutes later the horses are ready in the
           clearing for Arawn.]

          Xian: "We should place blinders on them for now and cover
            their eyes.  Z'leyra sooth the horses and calm them.
            If they see what will happen they could panic and not
            resist the magic.  Ask them to help Arawn."

          [Soon Arawn gathers his strength and approaches the first
           horse.  Then Miklav stops him by speaking up.]

          Miklav: "Wait."

          [He turns tot he higher ranking druid.  Arawn and Strie'bog
           can tell their rank easily by the color of their robes.
           Miklav and the Druid talk quietly.  At one point it becomes
           a bit heated but dies down to a whisper again.  Finally
           the Druid nods.  Both he and the Forestal walk forward.]

          Miklav: "The Druid will purify the ground further to help
            you with the magic.  The forest will also help you in
            this magic as you can't fail too many times."

          [Strie'bog taps his foot as the Druid casts his Purification
           spell and the Forestal waves his staff to the trees and
           seems to communicate with the forest.]

          [Arawn approaches his horse first the Riding Horse and
           casts the spell.  The horse and its saddle and other
           minor horse gear disappear and shrink to a very small
           white stone.  Arawn smiles.

          [Arawn repeats the cycle for Thig's horse but finds
           the magic fails.  He repeats it and Thig's horse
           turns to a stone.  Then he repeats it for Trembyl
           and Xian's horses.]

          [Next he changes Z'leyra's horse into a stone.  He
           knows he is increasing in difficulty as he changes
           from horse to horse.  Now for the War Horses and
           their likely higher magical defense.  His second
           attempt fails on Chion's horse but finally turns
           it into a stone followed by Strie'bog's horse.]

          [Arawn then changes Farseeker's and Unali's war mounts
           to stones. That leaves 2 failures at this point.
           Arawn turns to Tef'wo who has been by Ben'dar's side
           not watching the scene.  Arawn and Ben'dar lead the
           horse to the purified ground.  Arawn then casts his
           magic.  Tef'wo forms into a stone as well but suddenly
           the party notice his jeweled leather collar fall to
           the ground.  Ben'dar picks it up and places it on his belt.]

          Thig: "It is magical it must've resisted the spell unlike
            the normal saddle and other equipment."

          Xian: "Did you ever figure out its purpose?"

          Thig: "No.  Tef'wo didn't like it when I tried to take it
            off him."

          [Thig looks to Ben'dar to maybe try now to look at the
           necklace but both see the frustration in Strie'bog and
           decide not to at this point.]

          Thig: "Next time.  We'll need all our magical strength
            for later I suspect."

          GM: Arawn your now EL2 from the Experience in the spell.
              9 Success and 2 failures.  By doing these spells
              your at 9% remaining mana use for the day which
              just started.  So your not likely to cast more than
              3 or 4 more spells today.  Even casting magic to
              regain energy won't fix this problem.

          [Arawn gathers the stones up in his palm and the party
           gather around for the teleport.  The other Druid casts
           his Divination spells four times to ensure he covers
           the party and finds no problems.  He nods but looks
           confused at something.  The other Druid gives a blessing
           to the party. Strie'bog then casts a spell of Blessing
           on himself twice.  Strie'bog nods and Chion gathers the
           party around as the first twinges of Orange is seen
           on the horizon.]

          fChion considers casting Insubstantial on himself but
           finds he couldn't protect and include everyone.  Besides
           for some reason he seems to trust the Druid's view
           the teleport will work.  Maybe its this place.  This
           time Chion doesn't have to touch anyone.  In fact he
           could teleport a person 30 feet away from himself.
           he begins the spell words which seem to take a full
           minute and finally the blue haze surrounds the party.
           The party is sent almost 80 miles east and appear almost
           a second later.  This time no air is taken from the
           lungs in the large jump.  The party quickly looks around
           and spreads out.  Instead of the forest they find
           themselves on the plains itself.  Chion has sent them
           outside the forest.]

          [The party notices the edge of the forest about
           30 feet from the party however so they are just on the
           very edge of the forest.  For what seems like miles
           to the north, east and south are open plains and
           likely home to Humagi or others.]

          Xian: "We in the right place?"

          [As the horse stones are placed on the ground by Arawn the
           party looks around.  Strie'bog grabs his Balalaika and
           concentrates.  Soon a feeling comes over him and he circles
           to get his bearing.  The sensation is strong almost due
           north of them.  Arawn ends the spells on the stones and
           they become horses again.]

          [The party mounts up and heads north as the rising sun
           to the east warms them up slightly from the cool air.]

          Trembyl to Strie'bog: "I see you left your other instruments
            but still carry that one.  I know it now has some odd
            magic in it.  But I...we've seen you fight with that
            thing on.  Does it help you?"

          [As the party rides north they scan the forest to their
           left for any signs of people or creatures.  While at
           least 3 of the part watch the plains for any others.
           Riding in the forest would be twice as slow than riding
           in the open.  High overhead Corona flies over the forest
           and over the plains in a wide half mile circle.]

          [Soon the sun is now fully up over the horizon and the
           party has traveled for what seems like an hour maybe
           1.5 hours.  All the while Unali has been using her
           spyglass to look around the plains.  Who would've thought
           such a common instrument on the high seas would be useful
           to Unali finding it on Clima.  She stops the party when
           on the edge of her spyglass range she sees a black thing
           in the distance almost due north of them.  She tries to
           view it further but can't make up much of what it is.  It
           could be 2-3 miles away?  Maybe more.  The winds are
           blowing the sands on the plains and making the view
           almost like a heat mirage even though the temperature
           is in the low 50s.]

          [The party continues now slower north for maybe another
           20 minutes when she stops the party and passes the
           spyglass around.  Each person takes a look and notices
           it now looks like a house.]

          Thig: "A house on the plains on the edge of the forest?
            It might be poachers.  If Vassa they would be deeper
            in the forest.  Humagi would not be this close as well."

          Farseeker: "If we can see them they may be able to see
            us soon by naked eyes.  We should head into the forest
            and travel that way."

          Trembyl: "I agree its safer for stealth."

          Thig: "We will lose surprise going this way so the forest
            is best for now."

          [The party dismounts and leads the horses into the forest.
           At times the forest is light enough to travel mounted
           but for the most party the horses can't be used due to
           low branches and thick bushes.]

          Thig: "Forest tends to be thick on the edges to keep
            it protected as best it can."

          [As the party are going north through thick trees and
           bushes chit-chat is done to distract Strie'bog but also
           to pass the time.  As Xian and Trembyl talk about good
           teas found in Marentian suddenly a flash occurs.  In
           a instant from a tree a blast of fire 30-40 feet wide
           comes roaring toward the party.  Horses and people jump
           out of the way but Ben'dar and Xian are in the immediate
           path of the blast of fire.  The fireball hits Ben'dar
           and passes over him amazingly doing no damage.  But Xian
           who turns just in time to jump is pushed to the side by
           the magical shock wave.  He is thrown toward a bush and
           rolls several feet.  Tef'wo was able to at the last second
           leap out of the way but has some tail hairs singed by the
           blast. Xian's riding horse takes the blast of fire on his
           side and bucks to the pain.]

          [As the horse falls to one side Ben'dar notices he didn't
           take damage from the fire but notices his stuff is on
           fire.  On his back a dozen or so arrows are on fire.
           His fur cloak is on fire and quickly burning.  To
           his belt his whip is burning.  He quickly drops the cloak
           to the floor and pulls his quiver around.  He dumps the
           arrows to the ground and stomps at the fire at the same
           time he grabs for his whip.  Singing his hand slightly
           he throws the whip down just as the leather whip
           shrivels up and is useless.]

          GM: Fur cloak, 14 arrows, Whip destroyed/removed off sheet.

          GM: This was a random victim determination.

          [Xian's brown horse falls to the ground as one full side
           of his leather barding shrinks and is destroyed by
           the Fire Blast.  Sores from burns pop up all over his
           side hit by the blast.]

          [Xian having rolled into a bush falls unconscious from
           pain of burns all over his body.  But the roll was
           enough to put out fires of his gear and clothing.]

          [Panic ensues as the smoke quickly clears.  Trees, bushes,
           and grass around the area in a 40 foot area is burning
           in patches.  The worst is one bush that has flared up
           to engulf 80% of the 5 foot bush.  No one else is hurt
           or was in the area.]

          [Those with forest survival quickly tell the tree which
           the fire came from is dead.  There is no person at
           or around the tree seen and the fire seemed to have
           come directly FROM the tree itself up about 7 feet
           from the bottom.]

          [Thig flies toward the tree's back and circles it like
           a person going down a winding staircase.  At the
           bottom he lands.]

          Thig: "No other magic on the tree!"

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Friday....

          GM: Was going to make this longer update including getting
              the party to the final destination.  But I had to
              stay home today due to being queasy and a eye infection
              that was rough.  (Yeah another eye infection - stupid
              pollen and smoke from the fires in Georgia.)  Let
              me know what you guys will do.  The burning area can
              spread if not contained quickly.

          GM: The last update I had all typed up then Arawn got
              his Transmutation idea to me in ICQ (of course
              minutes after I finished the update, just my luck).
              So added his idea at the last minute and posted it.
              But that stuff on gear is pretty useless now as
              all gear can be taken.  But for the record those
              items I list as leaving will be left.  Basically
              mostly the tents and such.  Unless stated otherwise.