[pnpgm] Game update #16 - File #71 - A forest encounter

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Jan 30 08:59:41 CET 2007

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............??????..Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #16 in sequence (file #71)

     Admin notes:  As you can see we have a new player to the game.
     We did lose Sergi/Jordi to Never Never Land.  Maybe he'll come
     back.  Welcome aboard John!

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar is delighted with the request and will immediately
          begin teaching Z'leyra horse husbandry during their spare time.

          "Thank you Strie'bog.  Yes, if this Cernunnos can help Tef'wo,
           please give him the blessing."

          Afterward, if the blessing seems to help Tef'wo, Ben'Dar will
          approach Strie'bog in private and ask to learn more of his
          worship of Cernunnos.  Ben'Dar is superstitious but adheres to
          no formal religion.  Perhaps he'll convert...

          Once in the village, Ben'Dar finds a stable or barn where Tef'wo
          can rest.  He asks Z'leyra to assist him as he checks over the
          bandages and salves on Tef'wo's injuries.  While they are
          treating the horse, he inquires quietly, "Have you learned
          anything new of the claw?"
        GM:  Ack.

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn listened to Thig as the faerry introduced his companions,
          nodding and smiling to Chion and any others whose attention was
          fixed upon him. His manner was pleasant and unassuming, his
          eyes twinkled but he gave no other reaction, his expression
          thoughtful and calm. As the faerry continued to speak Arawn
          wrapped his face in a fine grey gauze leaving only his eyes
          exposed. Finishing he responded to Thig's query.

          "No, I am alone."

          His gaze grows distant as he says this, a shadow crossing his
          face and then it is gone. He looks up once more and begins to
          reply to the others in Z'endali.

          "I would not mind travelling together for a bit. I hadn't
           planned on staying for too long but I have sensed a strangeness
           in the air in these woods. Something that I feel I should look
           into, I don't know what, but something unusual. Perhaps we can
           travel together until I discover what it is. Thank you.

          As for my camp, it is a short distance away and i would like to
          gather my gear and find my horse. Hopefully it hasn't strayed
          too far away. Perhaps after I can help to track the giant's
          lair if you wish."
        GM: Ack.  Being new I figured I'd let you know about actions.
          If you post them I'll do them.  If they are actions on
          something old like a day or so behind the current game
          day then the actions are Retroactive and can be done.  Like
          below.  With some limited fashion depending on the situation.
          Dialogue is no problem.  But to ask that super critical
          question or forget to pick something up in the local tavern
          that may be critical to the situation wouldn't be done.
          Just some info for you.  If you want to describe what you
          look like (clothing, gear, etc.) you can do so.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Assisting Ben'dar and learning horse husbandry  Z'leyra answer
          Ben'dar's question with a frown and shake of her head. Whe it
          is safe to do so Z'leyra will cast Orient Self and do another
          magical healing at max EL for the horse.

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          "The Vassa of the woods hunt for fresh meet, so it is acceptable
           to hunt."  After say this, he looks into Farseekers eyes,
           "just show respect.  These forests have eyes, and the trees a
           knowing.  Take what is needed, use all if you can, and give
           thanks for what you have taken."

           Strie'bog looks around the party, "this is an ancient wood,
           and I don't know how many of you have traveled in such a place.
           There are spirits here, some fun loving, others protective.
           Even those with pleasant aspects can be vengeful if angered.
           We will soon be at one of the Vassa villages, and you can see
           how they respect the forest. Having watched each of you with
           the Zen'Da, I am sure you all have a respect for the natural
           world.  That is the best place to start."

           He then looks to Thig, "Yes Thig, there is a sacred forest
           within this wood.  I was trained within its boundary."
           Strie'bog closes his eyes for a moment, "being in the presence
           of that wellspring of life is magical.  The forestal that
           guards the sacred woods is powerful, as you have seen by the
           regrowth of the woods."  He opens his eyes, which are now a
           tranquil silver, and continues, "the will of the forest is
           still strong.  It is the Spirit that concerns me."  He pauses
           for a moment, "if the Spirit of the wood is sicked, then the
           forest could decay as the life of the sacred forest is twisted.
           Even though the Will may be strong, a wounded Spirit could kill
           the forest.  I hope that my vision of the devestation is of
           the future, but if it has begun, we may see signs as we pass
           through the wood. They will be subtle, masked by the Will of
           the woods.  Everything will be clearer when we meet with my
           mother."

           After the storytelling in the village, Strie'bog will speak
           with the party.  "That story of the Witch to the east disturbs
           me.  I talked to a bird a few days ago that indicated that
           there was something northeast of us.  An area that filled the
           little bird with dread when he flew over it.  Few stories come
           from nothing, and this may be a story with some merit.  As we
           go deeper in the woods, the trees become more aware.  I may be
           able to ask for their wisdom as we travel."

           As we travel the next day, Strie'bog will use Forest Talk
           three times to gossip with and old tree, a bird, and a rabbit.
        GM:

         [Decalis 7th, 98th day since left Marentia, 33rd day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [The previous day's events --]

          [After the party is introduced Arawn speaks.]

          Arawn: "No, I am alone."

            "I would not mind travelling together for a bit. I hadn't
             planned on staying for too long but I have sensed a strangeness
             in the air in these woods. Something that I feel I should look
             into, I don't know what, but something unusual. Perhaps we can
             travel together until I discover what it is. Thank you..."

          [As Arawn talks about his camp and gets help going to get
           his gear Farseeker leans to Xian and whispers.]

          Farseeker: [Marentian] "What's with his eyes?  Doesn't want
            us to see his face?  Bandits do that or folks who have
            things to hide.  I'll be watching this one."

          Xian: [Marentian] "I've heard Alfar are handsome ...for an
            Elf...but your always suspicious of new folks."

          Farseeker [Marentian]: "Yeah well that's why I stay alive."

          [Later as the party travels through the heavy woods talk
           is heard by various party members.  In some places where
           the growth is too thick the party has to go around rather
           than cut their way through for the horses.  Each detour
           clearly makes Strie'bog anxious.  When asked about the
           customs and traditions of the forest he answers.]

          Strie'bog: "The Vassa of the woods hunt for fresh meat, so
            it is acceptable to hunt."  [After he says this, he looks
[...]

            devastation is of the future, but if it has begun, we may see
            signs as we pass through the wood. They will be subtle, masked
            by the Will of the woods.  Everything will be clearer when we
            meet with my mother."

          Farseeker: "Thank you.  We will be respectful."  [He lowers
            his voice to a soft whisper]  "Now I'm worried about
            relieving myself if the forest has eyes." [Then gives
            a sly grin.]

          Thig: "A forestal?  I've not met one but in the Wild Forest
            there is such a being.  But since that forest is much
            larger than this one by 3 or 4 times he must be too
            busy to meet with everyone."

         [Decalis 8th, 99th day since left Marentia, 34th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [Time: Evening]

          [That night in the small village Ben'dar finds a small
           barn the village uses.  It is occupied by 5 other horses
           and 2 cows.  A bit crowded with animals, feed and hay.
           But Strie'bog finds a good spot for Tef'wo.  The warmth
           will help circulate blood better without forcing the
           heart for healing double duty.  Both Ben'dar and Z'leyra
           check over the horse's injuries and talk about other
           things like the Claw.  They both believe the horse should
           be at 100% by the morning or at the very least in 2 days.
           Z'leyra's spell seems to heal most of the remaining wounds
           and no more bandages are needed extra other than to
           re-dress.  Looks by morning he'll be 100%.]

          [As the evening gets late Z'leyra performs another healing
           spell onto the horse to help it through the night.]

          [Meanwhile after dinner is served by the village fresh
           meat is given with many good dishes of vegetables and
           some fruits.  This time of year fruits is less plentiful.
           The village gives their full hospitality to the party
           and give what little they have.  The villagers seem to
           know or have heard of Strie'bog directly or indirectly.
           Most of the villagers are simple people and give wide
           berth to the party for the privacy of each person.  Even
           Thig is treated well without fear as knowledge of Faerry
           must be known in this area.]

          [The village speak of their local gossip and news of the
           forest which isn't much that Strie'bog doesn't know.  Mostly
           details on births, deaths or marriages.  After fellowship
           is done and most of the village has put their children to
           bed Strie'bog gathers the party around.]

          Strie'bog: "That story of the Witch to the east disturbs me.
            I talked to a bird a few days ago that indicated that there
            was something northeast of us.  An area that filled the
            little bird with dread when he flew over it.  Few stories
            come from nothing, and this may be a story with some merit.
            As we go deeper in the woods, the trees become more aware.
            I may be able to ask for their wisdom as we travel."

          Thig: "Wait the mother spoke of the witch as a bed time
            story.  Such stories take years or decades to develop.
            If this witch thing is new would they be talking about
            it to scare their kids?  If you feel that strongly that
            it is a threat I trust you but maybe it is just a story.
            We can hope at least.  I've seen birds fly from an area
            just before an earthquake.  Maybe the dread is something
            we can't sense but they can.  Again, we can hope."

         -
         [Decalis 9th, 100th day since left Marentia, 35th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [As morning comes Ben'dar wakes and checks Tef'wo.  The
           leg and ribs are completely healed from being broken.
           Tissue seems to be reconnected.  Even the bruises in
           the dim light seems to be completely erased.  From
           the looks of it Ben'dar finds the horse completely
           healed.  Inwardly, he shakes his head in amazement.
           Sure the blessing and healing helped but no normal horse
           would've lived through that much damage, travel a full
           20 plus miles the next day and then be healed in the
           next morning.  Ben'dar pats Tef'wo and leads the horse
           outside to show the party.]

          [As the party forms up and is prepared to leave a tall
           older man in his 70s walks up tot he party.  For the
           benefit of the party Strie'bog translates the words.]

           Man: "Greetings.  I am chief elder of the village.
             I am sorry I could not meet with you last night.
             I was involved with a difficult birth last night
             helping with it.  Strie'bog we are honored to have
             you in our village.  Please give thanks to your
             mother when you get to see her."

           [He pauses and looks to each person and nods and
            waves his hands in a prayer like fashion of respect.]

           Male: "My name is Cheron.  We are honored to have one
             of the bold warriors of the plains.  A honor to have
             a true sidh here as well (he looks at Thig).  A
             shaman is well greeted as well (Z'leyra).  To everyone
             it is wonderful to have you here." [His gazes goes
             to Arawn] "We are also honored to be visited by a
             Druid of merit." [He looks back to a few people in
             the crowd and waves his hand forward.  his gaze
             then finishes on Strie'bog who is clearly anxious to
             leave and get home.] "This is Khali and Josef of
             our village." [He points to a mature man in his 30s
             dressed in dark leathers.  Khali is the female who
             stands a foot shorter and is holding a baby tightly
             in her arms.  She looks to be in her upper teens.]
             "Khali is the sister to the child's mother and Josef
             is the proud father.  The mother remains in her hut
             recovering from the birth last night.  The mother
             heard you were here and humbly asks for your blessing
             for the child.  Would you be willing to do so Strie'bog?"

           [Xian hears the translated words and perks up.  He speaks
            in Marentian]

           Xian: "You have been blessing Tef'wo and others for
             awhile now.  I figured it was just something you
             did but are you a Priest as well?  I know priests
             bless children and such." [His eyes narrow in
             concentration] "That explains a few things...."
             [his eyes dart back to the baby girl then to
             Strie'bog] "I mean no dis respect.  I was just
             remembering a priest locally as a kid myself.  He
             stole money from the local orphanage and had to be
             kicked out of town.  It is good to see not all
             are dishonest.  You seem quite the opposite."

           [The elder and relatives stand and wait for Strie'bog
            to answer.  They don't push the answer and if it
            is a no they will oblige and leave.]

         [Decalis 10th, 101st day since left Marentia, 36th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [Today the clouds roll overhead and it remains cloudy most
           of the day.  The temperatures only go up to about 69
           as the high point.  No bad weather though as it
           remains calm.  No encounters today.]

         [Decalis 11th, 102nd day since left Marentia, 37th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [Today the clouds remain but temperatures fall only
           getting as high as 52 midday.  No weather or
           bad encounters today.]

         [Decalis 12th, 103rd day since left Marentia, 38th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [Today the skies do clear up and it is sunny and clear
           most of the day.  Temperatures even warm up to middle
           70s.  At one point in the afternoon a quick rain storm
           passes near the party.]

          [No encounters.]

         [Decalis 13th, 104th day since left Marentia, 39th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [Today it remains sunny and clear and not one bit of
           bad weather today.  Temperatures rise to good warmth
           in the 70s but then cools down again.]

          [By now everyone is fully healed (Ben'dar, Thig).]

          [Time: around 1:37pm.]

          [Thig flies back to the party and reports up ahead
           he saw 4 humans.  He isn't sure they are Vassa.  They
           looked to be loosely dressed like that of the Humagi.
           He reports one carries an axe and seems to cut bushes
           and limbs while they walk.  The Vassa the party has
           seen don't see this abuse of the trees and bushes.
           Thig explains they are heading west.  West about 60
           miles is the forest edge its estimated and then
           the plains then south to humagi territory.  Thig
           reports they are up ahead about a mile among the
           trees.  Each of them are on a horse that looks to
           be Zen'da like plains horses less sturdy than war
           horses and riding horses.]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Friday...

          Unali: Do you want to barter in the village for food
          anything you might have?

          Strie'bog: Will email some more info likely tomorrow
          afternoon if not tonight on results of forest talk.
          Looks like no time tonight.  Bed.  so will email you
          when I wake up later today.  Expect email.

          Actions on this encounter?

          By friday the party could be at Strie'bog's home if
          this encounter goes quickly assuming the party wishes
          to investigate or handle the 4 people.