[pnpgm] Rules of the Forest

Robert Maxwell bioram at langate.gsu.edu
Mon Jan 29 22:29:33 CET 2007

"The Vassa of the woods hunt for fresh meet, so it is acceptable to
hunt."  After say this, he looks into Farseekers eyes, "just show
respect.  These forests have eyes, and the trees a knowing.  Take what
is needed, use all if you can, and give thanks for what you have
taken."

Strie'bog looks around the party, "this is an ancient wood, and I don't
know how many of you have traveled in such a place.  There are spirits
here, some fun loving, others protective.  Even those with pleasant
aspects can be vengeful if angered.  We will soon be at one of the Vassa
villages, and you can see how they respect the forest.  Having watched
each of you with the Zen'Da, I am sure you all have a respect for the
natural world.  That is the best place to start."

He then looks to Thig, "Yes Thig, there is a sacred forest within this
wood.  I was trained within its boundary."  Strie'bog closes his eyes
for a moment, "being in the presence of that wellspring of life is
magical.  The forestal that guards the sacred woods is powerful, as you
have seen by the regrowth of the woods."  He opens his eyes, which are
now a tranquil silver, and continues, "the will of the forest is still
strong.  It is the Spirit that concerns me."  He pauses for a moment,
"if the Spirit of the wood is sicked, then the forest could decay as the
life of the sacred forest is twisted.  Even though the Will may be
strong, a wounded Spirit could kill the forest.  I hope that my vision
of the devestation is of the future, but if it has begun, we may see
signs as we pass through the wood.  They will be subtle, masked by the
Will of the woods.  Everything will be clearer when we meet with my
mother."

After the storytelling in the village, Strie'bog will speak with the
party.  "That story of the Witch to the east disturbs me.  I talked to a
bird a few days ago that indicated that there was something northeast of
us.  An area that filled the little bird with dread when he flew over
it.  Few stories come from nothing, and this may be a story with some
merit.  As we go deeper in the woods, the trees become more aware.  I
may be able to ask for their wisdom as we travel."

As we travel the next day, Strie'bog will use Forest Talk three times
to gossip with and old tree, a bird, and a rabbit.