[pnpgm] Game Update #15 - File #66 - Vassa Village encountered

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Jan 26 21:47:15 CET 2007

  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #15 in sequence (file #66)

     Admin notes:  None.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          [...Thig gives introduction on Chion...]

          Chion raises an eyebrow and smiles slightly at the comment.
          He ponders the situation. An Alfar, ambushed by two giants.
          They must have snuck up on him. His smile broadens. Perhaps
          Arawn has no protective spells for such an occasion. Perhaps
          Arawn is not a mage at all. Curious. His eyebrow comes back
          down and his face returns to the task at hand.

          [..Thig talks about Chion's Teleport ability...]

          Chion will nod to Arawn to see if anything crosses Arawn's
          face regarding this description.

          He will comment to Tef'wo when they get him to his feet, "You
          are quite a warrior."

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra suggests that Ben'dar take and have Tef'wo wear the
          chain barding when Tef'wo is better.

          When morning comes Z'leyra suggests "Since the forest giants
          are unlikely to have had any treasure lets just head to our
          goal. Arawn, if you wish to join us, we are off on a mission
          to try and heal a forest.

          If you don't wish to join us, I am honored to have met you and
          wish you good fortune in your travels." <First in Elf Sidh then
          in Marentian and Zen'da for the rest of the party>

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar wrinkles his nose at the chain barding.  "The People
          do not  use metal armor like this.  But I don't know if Tef'wo
          would like  it..."  He'll wait until morning to see how Tef'wo
          is feeling.  If  it seems that the horse is feeling up to it,
          Ben'Dar will take the  chain barding over to Tef'wo and check
          it for size and try to get  a feel for whether or not Tef'wo
          likes it or not by trying it on  him.  If he likes it, Ben'Dar
          will keep it but not make Tef'wo   wear it until he is fully
          healed.  If Tef'wo doesn't seem to like it, Ben'Dar will return
          the chain barding to whomever wants it and he'll keep his eyes
          open for a replacement set of leather barding.

          Once people start translating Arawn's words into Marentian and/or
          Z'endali, Ben'Dar will introduce himself formally to the elf,
          "Greetings to you, friend Arawn.  I am Ben'Dar of the Fel'oros
          people.  I have only met one other elf in my life, and he is an
          honorable man and a good friend."  Ben'Dar smiles and offers a
          handclasp to Arawn.  He continues, "I have some skill with
          horses, perhaps I could help you find yours...if the giants
          have not killed  her?"

          If Arawn agrees, Ben'Dar will help him track down his horse.

          As to looting the giants and finding their lair, Ben'Dar
          wouldn't mind spending some time determining whether or not
          there is a lair and/or treasure to be found.

          OOC:  Experience-wise, did Ben'Dar also earn some horsemanship
          expertise during that fight?  (Maybe split the EP between spear
          and horsemanship or add Tef'wo's damage EP to horsemanship?)
        GM: Ack.  Yes.  You did get 8 Expertise for the charge.  Sorry.

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          After Tef'wo goes to sleep, Strie'bog will look to Ben'dar
          and Z'lerya: "I could ask a blessing of Cernunnos to strengthen
          Tef'wo's inner strength.  It is not a magical healing, but will
          help him to heal faster."

          If OK, he will cast Bless (EL 3) to enhance Tef'wo's constitution.

          "There is something I must first do, but then I will come back
           and play.  Music can help to calm Tef'wo, and all of us, so
           that we can rest easier."

          Strie'bog is getting more anxious as he approaches home, so he
          will go over to one of the older trees nearby.  He reaches his
          hand out and touches the tree.  He becomes peaceful, and when
          he opens his eys, they are silver.  In  'Tongue of the Wood'
          he gives thanks to Cernunnos, and then initiates FOREST TALK.
          He asks the tree about the state of the pavassa forest and
          the spirit of the forest (his hope is that the tree spirits
          may know if there is a problem with the forest, especially the
          heart).  If the tree can not help, he will then use FOREST SAGE
          to find out what is happening.  If there is a native bird that
          is known to have a long range in the forest, he will use FOREST
          TALK to ask the bird if it has seen any danger in the forest.

          (I will hold off reactions until I find out if there is an answer).

          To help peoople rest, he will play for a while.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will talk with Ben'dar about the possibility of
          learning horse husbandry from him. If he agrees she will use
          her riding horse as the example used for training. One thing
          she would like is to train the horse to accept barding.
        GM: Ack. It will accept leather no problem.  But Chain its
          not physically trained or adept at chain as its heavy.
          The horse itself doesn't want chain but you can force it.
          It'll take about 15 days to learn the basics of the skill.

         [Decalis 7th, 98th day since left Marentia, 33rd day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest, 2 miles inside from south]

          [Time: near 4am - minutes after Giant combat]

          [After Tef'wo gets to his feet and is checked over by
           Ben'dar and Z'leyra, Chion approaches the unique horse.
           He pats the horse on the neck so not to touch the
           wounded back and side.  As Z'leyra and Ben'dar check
           the left side of the horse Chion leans in and whispers
           tot he horse.]

          Chion: "You are quite a warrior."

          [As Chion looks into Tef'wos eyes the coal black eyes seem
           to flash in acknowledgement or something else.  With
           his other hand Chion is surprised to find the Staff is
           warming again to his touch.  The spirit inside the staff
           seems agitated or excited.  Chion looks back to the horse
           and to the other 2 nearby.  As he does his eyes dart past
           the jeweled collar of Tef'wo around the smallest portion
           of his neck.  But his eyes seem to fool him as it just
           seemed to flash or sparkle.  course the jewels have been
           known to sparkle in daylight but the flash was brighter?
           Chion looks at the camp and the campfire is blocked by
           that bush so that's strange.  Chion looks back at the
           collar and it seems to be normal.  Chion shakes his head
           probably tired and seeing things he pats the horse one
           final time and goes to join the others.]

          [After Tef'wo is treated Ben'dar introduces himself through
           translated words.]

          Ben'dar: "Greetings to you, friend Arawn.  I am Ben'Dar of the
            Fel'oros people.  I have only met one other elf in my life,
            and he is an honorable man and a good friend."  [Ben'Dar
            smiles and offers a handclasp to Arawn.  He continues,] "I
            have some skill with horses, perhaps I could help you find
            yours...if the giants have not killed  her?"

          Strie'bog: "I could ask a blessing of Cernunnos to strengthen
            Tef'wo's inner strength.  It is not a magical healing, but
            will help him to heal faster."

          [Ben'dar leads Tef'wo back to the tree where they were tied
           up minutes before.  Soon Strie'bog comes to the horse and
           gives a quiet prayer and blessing.  He speaks a few magical
           words and waves his hands over the horse.]

          [Either way Arawn's gear might need to be collected.  With
           torches Ben'dar and others can go west to find his old
           camp and get his gear. His horse is well trained and
           is simply grazing on some tall grass in the same area.  Arawn's
           camp is about a mile west of the party's camp.  Its clear
           where the Giant's came as trees are down in their path.]

          [Soon the camp settles down again to sleep....For the rest
           of the night Ben'dar and Trembyl keep watch.  While the
           party is clearly in good territory only one sentry is really
           needed but with the Giants its best to keep two.  Hours
           pass with nothing else going on as the forest begins to
           stir on the first lights of dawn.]

          Strie'bog: "There is something I must first do, but then I
            will come back and play.  Music can help to calm Tef'wo,
            and all of us, so that we can rest easier."

          [Strie'bog enters the dark wood and finds a old tree with
           help of a lantern Thig loaned him.  This tree looks to
           be about 80 feet high so looks old enough.  Strie'bog
           begins to commune with the tree and surroundings.  After
           a bit, around 20 minutes, he returns to camp.  Strie'bog
           will play some music to calm the party down to sleep.]

          [Time: Sunrise]

          [Having been only a few hours the party wakes up and
           prepares breakfast.  Some have rations since most
           are unsure if its acceptable to hunt in Strie'bog's forest.]

          [As camp is being broken down Z'leyra and Ben'dar inspect
           Tef'wo.  They find no change but that's as expected since
           it has been only a few hours.]

          [Z'leyra offers the Chain barding for Tef'wo since his
           leather barding was destroyed.]

          [Ben'Dar wrinkles his nose at the chain barding.]

          Ben'dar: "The People do not  use metal armor like this.
            But I don't know if Tef'wo would like  it..."

          [Ben'dar and Z'leyra raise the barding over Tef'wo to place
           it down.  But Tef'wo moves away.  Ben'dar and Z'leyra try
           again but the horse snorts and moves his head side to side.
           Clearly the horse doesn't like the chain barding.  Z'leyra
           asks Tef'wo if he wants the armor.  Tef'wo snorts and shakes
           his head in a clear no.  Ben'dar nods and Z'leyra takes
           the chain barding back to her horse.]

          [Later discussion of the lair comes up.]

          Z'leyra: "Since the forest giants are unlikely to have had
            any treasure lets just head to our goal. Arawn, if you wish
            to join us, we are off on a mission to try and heal a forest.
            If you don't wish to join us, I am honored to have met you and
            wish you good fortune in your travels." <First in Elf Sidh then
            in Marentian and Zen'da for the rest of the party>

          [As camp tents and other things are packed up Ben'dar takes
           the time to borrow Farseeker's horse and with Thig flying
           scout go west to see if they can find the lair.  But
           after 10 minutes in the daylight the trail goes cold.
           In fact the damage seen just hours before seems to be
           gone.  Near the camp the trees are still down and there
           is clear disruption.  But as the damage goes west and
           after only 500 feet the grass seems to cover up any of
           the would be tracks.  There is still signs of broken
           limbs and fallen trees.  But Bushes that should've been
           run over by the Giant's weight seem to have suffered
           no effects.  This is amazed at this.  Ben'dar looks
           further west and sees a few more fallen trees but in
           a forest the size of a province dead trees can be common.
           Without footprints the trail goes cold.  Both return
           to the camp.]

          Thig: "Strie'bog this forest doesn't seem to be in danger.
            In fact its amazing.  The grass and footprints left by
            the Giant seems to have been regrown over erasing the
            footprints.  You mentioned a Sacred Forest if one such
            exists in this forest the entire forest is likely to
            be warded with powerful magics.  If so it seems to be
            working which is a good sign!  Maybe the forest isn't
            in danger!"

          [Strie'bog looks around and hears the Faerry's words.]

          Xian: "Maybe he's right.  The forest looks healthy to me.
            Maybe your vision was to be in the distant future.
            But we shall know more as we travel we are only on the
            fringe of the forest."

          [Strie'bog quietly mounts his horse and the party heads
           off into the deeper wood.  The feeling is that Strie'bog
           is leading the party to his home but the forest is his
           home.  So it must be his actual physical home somewhere
           in the forest.]

         [Decalis 8th, 99th day since left Marentia, 34th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [The party heads North West in the general direction
           that Strie'bog knows his home to be.  As the party
           travels the forest does seem in good shape.  Animals
           as small as rabbits and foxes and as large as Deer and
           bear can occasionally be seen.  All seems in good shape
           so far.  As the day continues from the tree tops the
           skies can be seen to be clear and sunny.  In fact the
           day warms up to high 70s not needing furs for the
           midday travel periods.  The only weather today is
           a light haze in the afternoon that hangs atop the
           tree canopy as heat and cold mix.  Thig examines the
           haze and finds it natural and not some magical haze.]

          Farseeker: "So Strie'bog what are the rules here?
            If we hunt will the spirits or big men in leathers
            jump us?  Rations have been rather dull but we can
            still eat them if hunting here is not allowed for
            outsiders like us."

          Xian: "Yeah are there customs we should be aware of here?
            I hate to meet a native and sneeze and it means that
            I insulted his ancestors or something."

          [Strie'bog gets questions like this all day trying to
           distract him from the task at hand. Strie'bog knows
           its a distraction and is happy to be distracted.  He
           is clearly anxious on the ride.  The vision may have
           been false and this whole mission might be a waste of
           time.  Deep down he hopes so but Life Spirits can have
           double meanings in more than one way.]

          [Time: 4:47pm]

          [As the forest starts to get darker because of the density
           of the forest to block out light twilight starts to
           descend even though outside it might be solid daylight
           for another hour.  Corona reports up ahead are plumes of
           smoke.  Corona is lucky to fly above the tree tops as
           Thig flies below for scouting.  Strie'bog becomes more
           anxious hearing smoke.  Fire in a forest can be dangerous.
           But as the group gets through a heavy grove of trees they
           notices huts in the distance and discover the smoke is
           fires from the huts.]

          [As the party approaches they see Vassa natives going back
           and forth.  They don't seem the least bit worried about
           the party.  Eventually a middle aged lady greets the party.
           She welcomes the party to stay the night.  This is surprised
           by the view of the Vassa on him.  Even when he unfolds his
           wings no one is shocked.  This may indicate the Vassa may
           have seen Faerry before.  As the party settle in the
           villagers offer food and drink.  The one lady explains the
           Humagi were foolish enough to lose a sheep and hunters
           just returned hours ago with it for a good meal when
           it entered the forest.  The village itself looks about 20
           huts and maybe 75 people or 5 to 6 families.  There is
           no spare huts for sleeping so the party will have to
           setup camp around the small campfire.]

          [As the hour grows and dinner is finished the village
           gets down to story telling.  Strie'bog has heard of
           most of the stories.  But a new one peeks his interest.
           It seems to tell of a witch that has been seen on the
           eastern edge of the forest and has kidnapped children
           and done evil things. When asked one of the female
           elders replies to Strie'bog.]

          Elder: "It is just a story we tell our children.  It
            is rumors and not proven.  Its like saying the big
            Demon in the north kills a virgin every night.  It
            is said to make our children sleep at night and not
            wander off alone in the forest.  A simple bed time
            story."

          [When asked about trouble in the forest the villagers
           seem to indicate nothing or heard of anything.  When
           asked about Strie'bog's mother no one has dealt with
           her in a few months so unsure of her current status.]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Monday...

          Ran into some computer technical issues last night when
          I tried to post this.  So had to finish it today.  While
          in the village any actions to take?  Monday I'll move
          the party further toward Strie'bog's birth home.  No
          encounters this day or night other than the village.

          Natural healing will occur in the morning.