[pnpgm] Game update #11 - File #40 - Strangers and Dangers

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Jan 12 08:48:15 CET 2007

  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #11 in sequence (file #40)

     Admin notes:  None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          After hearing how slow the creature is, Ben'Dar says to Thig
          and Z'leyra.  "Think you could track down its lair?  If you
          could lead it on another wild goose chase tonight, perhaps
          we could become the proud new owners of some of its treasure?
          Might be fun...."  If Thig and/or Z'leyra is up for it,
          Ben'Dar will ask around the party to see who wants to come
          with him to loot the dragon's lair while its away.  (He'll
          do this during the night when the dragon didn't find the
          party, if possible)
        GM: Ack.

                        --------------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          "Wyrms are not renowned for speed, except perhaps in the
           water. It seems likely that Thig, or I if I change to eagle
           form, could spot a convergence of it's tracks from the air.
           The lair would likely be at such a convergence. I am not
           sure how badly plants are affected by the poison...but it
           might make such tracks very obvious." Z'leyra states.

           She continues "If we do search for the wyrm's lair we are
           taking some risks that might prevent us from completing our
           main objective... though I suppose a wyrm might conceivably
           be part of why a forest may be sick.

           Wyrms breed, we might run into other wyrms in the lair. While
           wyrms are not the smart ones of dragon relatives, they are
           smart enough to make it difficult or dangerous to plunder
           their lair when they are gone."

           "I vote that we continue with our main mission and think
            about looting the lair when we come back afterwards. Thig
            may look for the tracks leading to the lair and maybe locate
            the lair. If he does I will do a quick flight in the morning
            to spot it myself. But I think we should leave looting the
            wyrm's lair for a later date."

         [Decalis 2nd, 93st day since left Marentia, 28th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Time: 4:15pm]
          [Location: Humagi Territory, Hills, 120 miles south of forest]

          [As Thig returns to find the others after leading the Wyrm
           away talk quickly turns to looting the creature's lair.]

          Ben'dar: "Think you could track down its lair?  If you
            could lead it on another wild goose chase tonight, perhaps
            we could become the proud new owners of some of its treasure?
            Might be fun...."

          Thig: "I'm sure we could.  But with it night soon it could
            be dangerous.  Wyrms like caves or holes.  You may need
            me to fly down such a thing.  So I would not be good
            leading it away."

          Z'leyra: "Wyrms are not renowned for speed, except perhaps in
[...]

          Chion: "If we do track the lair while it is away, we need to
            be quick and simply empty it of all goods. We might be able
            to teleport out the treasure to some location like I did to
            the armory. But even that took a little while to arrange
            properly. I would be willing to try. Perhaps there would be
            something useful to aid us with our mission in the treasure
            or a lost item which protected the forest and is the reason
            it is sick.

            Additionally, if the risk is minimal, we would be pirating
            away some good booty, and I'm all for that. I doubt this
            thing will be able to track us down afterwards if I teleport,
            but I may miss some magical items also, but our fliers can
            carry what I miss out so as not to be trackable."

          Farseeker: "It looked to be a mean monster.  One hard to
            kill if we get cornered.  But the idea that there could
            be people in its lair for winter feedings is something
            I can't forgive myself if we leave now and they die.
            So I say we should go now."

          Thig: "These creatures tend to be solitary.  I doubt they
            would be mating in the winter.  Chances are it will
            be alone.  But that doesn't mean it would have allies
            there like serpents or such.  I'm all for more treasure.
            But if we come back later the winter may be well set
            in by then.  If we even return this route.  The creature
            may be out feeding for winter hibernation.  Dragons
            are more reptile like so wouldn't it make sense they
            need hibernation?  I'm not sure they do or not though.
            So I say we go now."

          Trembyl: "This creature must live in the hills here.  It
            may be the top of the food chain in the area.  It might
            even keep the Humagi at bay going north to the forest.
            Who is to say we should interfere?  I say we continue on."

          Xian: "I don't need more treasure.  With all that we've
            collected we can all retire nicely.  But the idea that
            there could be people in the lair...bothers me.  What
            if they got a letter wrote before eaten or etched a note
            in the wall for family.  It would do no one any good
            to see it unless it is seen.  The risk is great but
            I agree with doing it now than later if we must."

          GM: Leaves no comments from Unali and Strie'bog as of now.
           At this point that's 5 votes for A [Find Now], 1 for B
           [Find later] and 1 for C [ignore.  Leaving 2 no votes.
           Even if Unali/Strie'bog voted B or C a majority would
           still have decided on A.  So looks like its a go.

          [As talk continues Farseeker interrupts the party.]

          Farseeker: "It is getting dark soon.  It looks like we
            have more that wants to go.  So let's get going now!
            I don't want to be caught in the lair if it returns at night."

          [Chion leads the party to the NW and then Thig and Corona
           do aerial scouting of the area.  Trembyl tries to do some
           mental math to figure out how far the lair could be.]

          Trembyl: "If it moves as slow as we saw it could make about
            5 miles a day maybe?  Most creatures only live up to 3
            days from their homes.  So we could be searching a area
            of 15 miles.  A big area."

          Xian: "But this thing is slow.  I doubt it could survive
            if caught say in a storm or snow long.  So my guess
            is its in a 5 mile area within a day's journey.  Which
            means it would be going home since its near dark."

          [After a 50 minutes of criss-crossing the land it soon
           becomes obvious of a possible pattern of travel from
           the creature.  Bones are all over the terrain.  From the
           size of birds to large animals as big as buffalo or horses.
           All bones have been completely cleaned off by predators
           and likely dead for a long time.  Doing wide arcing circles
           over the land Thig spots a hole in the ground near a set
           of large bones.  Descending lower it looks to be a cave
           set vertically in the ground.  Guessing it may be the
           lair Thig returns to the party.  The cave ends up to
           be about 1.5-2 miles from where the creature was first
           seen on the ridge.  Trembyl estimates it could take the
           creature at least three hours to get back to it.  It
           takes another 25 minutes for the party to get to it.]

          [By now its 5:30 or so and the sun is low in the skies.
           Since getting this close would leave some sign of entry
           as well as entry by the party the creature could track
           the party down at this point.  No matter of covering
           up will help at this point.  Its all a point of will the
           creature want to and its speed.  Thig figures it would
           not as it would take a very long time to catch up with
           the party.  The party approaches the cave slowly and finds
           2 sets of bones near the cave about 30 feet away.  They
           appear to be dead horses.  From signs of the bones they
           look to be years old.  The party is now in a depression
           among the hills and in front of them is a hill going up
           about 150 feet to a rocky ridge.  At the base of the
           hill is the cave.  At the very edge of the cave is a
           large boulder the size of 3 horses wide and maybe 2 horses
           tall probably weighing half a ton or more.]

          Trembyl: "Look at the sand around the boulder.  Its bunched
            up as if it has moved recently.  Maybe the Wyrm uses it
            to move over the hole in winter or for protection?  It
            looked certainly strong enough."

          [Thig hovers over the hall and peers down into a cave that
           goes straight down at about 85-90 degrees straight down.
           Thig gets a torch out and lights it then drops it down
           into the cave.  it seems to fall for only a second which
           seems to indicate its not far down.  It remains lit and
           lights up a cave big enough to hold a Wyrm who might be
           45 or so feet long.  Thig pulls out some rope that is
           about 100 feet long which is plenty. ]

          Thig: "I'm not going down alone.  Who is going with me?"

          Farseeker: "I can.  But some need to get out and watch for
            it over on that side and there.   Corona should also
            keep flying out and looking for it.  We don't have much
            time before dark."

          Thig: "I can teleport both out if danger."

          [Thig grabs a gem or some stone from his personal bag and
           puts it in his hand.  It must have some magical ability
           the party assumes.  Then with another lit torch he begins
           to hover slowly down as Farseeker joins him.]

          [When they reach the bottom Thig looks around and finds
           the larger cave is about 80 feet wide.  In one corner
           a sound of water is heard and he goes to find a car
           sized hole that goes on into the darkness.  Water is
           heard and Thig doesn't venture further figuring it to
           be some underground water and too dangerous.  On the
           cave bottom are a sorted mess of items and bones.
           No bodies are found alive or for that matter in any
           form of being eaten just bones.  Many are small like
           bodies of foxes or rabbits.  But some are human bones
           with human skulls.  In fact Thig and Farseeker guess
           from the looks of it that there are at least a dozen
           skulls.  The sand heaps and dust may be blocking others.]

          Farseeker: "It smells in here.  But let's look.  Keep
            an eye out on that other hole."

          [Soon items are found, coins and even big things like
           a chair under a avalanche of rocks and sand.]

          Thig: "A chair?  It must be dragged it down from some
            wagon or something for some purpose."

          [Items are collected and some are bought up top.]

          Xian: "The sun is setting time's up."

          [After a half hour of searching a good bag of items are
           found and bought up.]

          GM: Items found -

             Coins -
                22 BB - Clima             26 BB - Katai
                 6 BB - Cerulean Empire    1 CC - Cerulean Empire
                14 CC - Lemasa            78 CC - Clima
                93 SC - Cerulean Empire   60 SC - Fomoria - Xan

    Small Gem, Severely Flawed, Dull, Sapphire, Worthless
    Small Gem, Severely Flawed, Average Clairty, Topaz, Worthless
    Small Gem, Severely Flawed, Average Clarify, Torquoise, Worthless
    Small Gem, Nearly Flawless, Fine Clarity, Lapiz Lazuili,  value - 7.2 SC
    Small Jewel, Slight Flaws, Cloudy, Serpentine, worthless
    Small Jewel, Slight Flaws, Cloudy, Garnet, worthless
    Small Jewel, Nearly Flawless, Cloudy, Lapiz Lazuli, worthless
    Medium Jewel, Nearly Flawless, Fine Clarity, value around 3 SC
    Small Jewelry, Severely Flawed, Misted, Topaz,  1 SC, Necklace
    Small Jewelry, Slight Flaws, Average Clarity, Jacinth, 4.8 SC, Necklace
    Small Jewelry, Nearly Flawless, Average Clarity, Jade, 3 GC, Bracelet
    Small Jewelry, Flawless, Brillant, Garnet, 18.4 SC, Bracelet

    Wooden chair with cushion, value 1 sc [very dusty]
    Lemasan Painting showing Coastal Area and house, 7'x6' (spread out)
      estimated value 40 SC [Lemasan word on painting must be lemasa?]
    Formorian - Vahear maybe? Art work showing sailing ships in maybe
      a parade, spread out 4' x 4'  value 50 SC
    1 Small Glass, value 1 CC, not broken
    3 Eating Utensils, worth about 7 BB
    1 Drinking Horn, value about 1 BB, Fierazi design?
    1 small pitcher container (no top), 7 BB estimated value
    1 Flute made of Coral, exceptional quality, worth maybe 12 GC

    1 Elf Manufacture Flag, worth maybe 10 CC?
    2 War Mails (Dog)
    2 Leather Barding (Horse)
    1 Chain Barding (Horse)
    1 Broadsword
    6 Arrows
    1 Set of Leather tools many items missing
    1 Treasure Map - 7 GC value languange unknown - ? GC treasure?

    Thig: "From the looks of the coins it attacked maybe some
      cerulean warriors or caravan.  How Lemasan and Climan
      coins got here who knows.  The armors though may indicate
      some warriors or knights trying to take the creature out
      and failing."

    [Thig also brings up magical treasure he specifically found.]

    1 Glass Plate [as in eating plate]
    1 Light Crossbow
    3 Metal flasks with potions or elixirs
    1 15 inch tall small wand?

    GM: Will assume party shares and will divide up in the next
      update unless folks want specific items.  I doubt the
      chair will be taken and the horse barding will be cumbersome
      to take.  So may be left behind unless requested by a person
      on their horses?  Let me know.

    [The party quickly leaves the area.  Sweat being in the cave
     any removal of scents and tracks would be futile at this
     point.  Even a teleport wouldn't help.  Once inside the cave
     one would have to be insubstantial not to leave some trail.
     But the party should be long gone in the area.  Course on
     the way back the party might need to avoid the hills.]

    [As the sun sets the party makes a straight course due north.
     No sign of the Wyrm is seen.  After 4 hours of travel in the
     dangerous night with torches and night vision the horses start
     to show signs of exhaustion and begin to stumble on things.
     The party decides to make camp.  The party ends up about 5-6
     miles north of the cave.  That isn't far but since the sun
     is down and no moon it may be further dangerous traveling.
     The Wyrm even if it made a all night trip wouldn't get to the
     camp for maybe another 15 hours?  Unless it has magic.  The
     party checks for a stream nearby and finds nothing in
     case it can swim to the area.  That night just in case 3
     sentries are on duty at all times and the wolf and at least
     4 horses are kept awake at all times for safety.  But that
     night nothing happens.]

         [Decalis 3rd, 94th day since left Marentia, 29th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Humagi Territory, Hills]

          [The party wakes up at 5:30 and before the sun rises makes
           a quick breakfast and breaks camp fast.  While not
           everyone is well rested its best to get a day's distance
           between here and the creature.  Today temperatures only
           rise up to the highest of 54.  Most of the day it is
           partly cloudy.]

          [Around 5:17pm a rain storm hits the party and lasts about
           5 minutes.  Today there are no day or night encounters.]

         [Decalis 4th, 95th day since left Marentia, 30th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Humagi Territory, Plains]

          [Today the party leaves the hills and enters the last
           piece of plains toward the forest.  The forest now
           lies only 100 miles away.  Today it remains partly cloudy
           all day and temperatures increase as a warm front comes
           in from the west rising temperatures up to 87 mid-day.
           Furs and leathers are stripped off and the warmth feels
           good for a change. ]

          [No encounters.]
         -

         [Decalis 5th, 96th day since left Marentia, 31st day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Humagi Territory, Plains]

          [As the clouds remain today its partly cloudy and the
           temperatures remain high going back up to 86 today
           midday.  For signs of winter the warm front seems to
           have stalled in the area.  Must be global warming from
           the fire magic spells? Around 12:14 a storm hits the
           party of moderate intensity.  Its enough to send hail
           down and almost 1000 lightning strikes in the area.
           The party is forced to camp for the 90 minute duration
           of the storm and eat lunch.]

          [No encounters.]

         [Decalis 6th, 97th day since left Marentia, 32nd day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Humagi Territory, Plains]

          [Today the skies clear and it remains sunny and clear all
           day.  Temperatures decline a bit to highs of about 75.]

          [Around 7:39pm a lone Humagi is seen near camp.  Xian is
           on sentry duty.  The Humagi hunter decides to attack
           would be death so backs away.  Xian alerts the camp of
           this and the hunter is seen by Thig mounting his horse
           and heading south.  by the time it could get help the
           party will be in the forest in a day likely so killing
           the hunter would be useless.]

          GM: I was going to do a full encounter but ran out of time
            tonight :<  So figured a retreat would work as well.

         [Decalis 7th, 98th day since left Marentia, 33rd day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Humagi Territory, Plains]

          [Today the clouds roll back in making it partly cloudy
           and temperatures lower to the 50s as the highs.

          [Around 4:56pm winds pick up as they have been all day.
           But this time the dust and sand on the plains builds
           up into a full blown dust storm.  A whirlwind is
           created just 10 feet behind the party surprising
           everyone.  At 25 miles per hour the winds move the
           dust in all directions.  The whirlwind roars straight
           for the party in a zig-zag motion.  It has a funnel
           that is 10 feet wide but can be seen through.  The
           dust storm suddenly hits Z'leyra's horse and Thig as
           he tries to fly away.  The sand, stones and grit hits
           both and does 7 to Z'leyra and 9 points to Thig.
           The whirlwind eventually winds through passing everyone
           else and dies away in 2 minutes.  But the winds
           continue in the area.]

          [Z'leyra patches the bruises and skin abrasions up and
           the party continues onward.]

          [Today the party notices there is a color change in
           Strie'bog.  His skin seems to darken from his normal
           pale style.  his mood seems eager and energetic as he
           nears the forest as well.]

          [Soon after the dust storm the Pavassa forest is finally
           spotted.  As the sun sets the party reaches the edge
           of the forest.  The forest appears fine as trees are
           tall as 100 feet and plentiful.]

          Farseeker: "Looks like a healthy forest to me.  I
            could be wrong though.  Might as well camp for now
            inside the forest and find your friends in the
            morning."

          [Clearly Strie'bog is excited entering the forest but
           is distracted as well.  His skin continues to darken
           but not pink but into a greenish color.  In fact when
           those who look at Strie'bog closely they will notice
           his green eyes have a ring of silver around them.  More
           easily seen now.  As the sun sets the forest becomes
           far darker quicker.  Strie'bog is glad to be home but
           his home is probably another day or two away deep into
           the forest.  When it becomes light again it will take
           him time to get his bearings.]

          [Strie'bog stays up all night obviously eager to be
           home but nervous as well.  Around 1:19am the party
           is mostly asleep.  Strie'bog is still awake and pondering
           the forest with his sleeping wolf at his side. Feeling
           safe in friendly (mostly) territory the party only
           keeps 2 sentries active.  Outside Humagi Territory
           their chances are greater for safety. At this hour
           Chion is circling the camp on foot with his staff in
           hand on patrol.]

          [At this time a sound is heard from the west side of
           the camp.  Strie'bog is on the NE side sitting against
           a tall tree.  Chion is at the SE part of the camp.
           When from the west through the trees a being is seen
           running full speed into camp.  Chion is the first to
           see him and pulls up his staff quickly.  But then
           Chion sees the person is a Elf in armor and carrying
           a sword.  He is panting hard which indicates he has
           been running for some time.  Which indicates he is
           not here to attack likely.  Still cautious Chion
           looks around as Strie'bog stands and walks toward
           the newcomer.  The camp light shows the face of the
           intruder and the person looks rather handsome for
           a elf.  But another aspect is the elf is tall about
           5 foot 7 and around 120 pounds.  The tall elf continues
           to pant and then turns to Chion.]

          Newcomer: "...big....thing..coming this...way..."

          [From the west can be heard growling or a small roar
           as bushes and trees seem to be pushed aside.]

         Actions? Comments?

         Next update Monday...

         GM: Well ran out of time.  Was going to have the creature
           enter the camp.  But now its a surprise!  Stay
           tuned and find out IF it is a creature.  Could be
           a tall mean rat?  Who knows.  This should be a good
           enough update.  I may do a supplement to this update
           tomorrow.  If so stay tuned.  It may contain info
           on this next part and the skill points earned.
           At this point its too late to earn more.