[pnpgm] Game update #10 - File #36 - Retreat from the Wyrm

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Jan 9 06:14:59 CET 2007

  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #10 in sequence (file #36)

     Admin notes:  None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar pulls Tef'wo up short next to Farseeker.  He readies
          his pike but does not move forward.  He glances around at the
          rest of the party to see if anyone has any ideas about what it
          is.  He motions to the rest of the party behind to stay quiet,
          as this creature may not be aware of them yet.

          If it poses no threat, Ben'Dar's vote would be to backtrack and
          go around to avoid it.  If that is not possible, Ben'Dar suggests
          that one of the wizards make the smoke go away so they can
          clearly see what enemy they are facing.  If it comes to a
          fight, Ben'Dar will go for a direct charge with his pike.
        GM: Ack.

                        -----------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra states "If that is a Wyrm I do not want it to track
          us down and attack us at night. I will ask Corona to fly above
          it and see if he can tell if it is a Wyrm.

          <She does so, telling Corona to stay high out of range of it's
          breathe. > They are said to breathe poison and be surrounded by
          a fog of poison all the time. Some say they are related to
          dragons, they are certainly tough enough."

          "To prevent it atttacking us at night I suggest we travel fast
           and far, or if we can't we come up with some idea of how to
           deal with it while it is still daylight."

          Z'leyra suggests a hasty temporay withdrawal to a safer
          distance where we can discuss this potential encounter. She
          follows up by cantering to a safer distance some two hundred
          yards back.
        GM: Ack.

                        -----------------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion says the following, "Once confirmed that it is a Wyrm I
          suggest we bear it a wide birth. It would not be prudent to
          risk our purpose fighting a creature with no bearing on it.
          If it were a tragedy that it lived in these lands then perhaps
          we should destroy it. But judging from what we know, the
          inhabitants perhaps deserve such a creature in their midst."
        GM: Ack.

                        -----------------------------------

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          OOC:  Happy New Year...it's hard that vaccations have to end....

          For days, Strie'bog has been quiet and introspective.  The
          visions he experienced still waying on him.

          As the party comes to the rise, he is shocked by what he
          sees. When Z'leyra mentions Wrym, he looks at her and whispers:
          "Aye, it is a Wyrm, a malignant spawn of the great serpent."
          Looking to the others, he adds, "it is too risky to confront
          this creature, we should withdraw.  If it wakes, it will seek
          to devour all it can find.  If it does come, you must be careful
          of its breath.  It will poison all who are close to it."
          Just in case, Strie'bog will ready his bow.

         [Decalis 2nd, 93st day since left Marentia, 28th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Time: 3:03pm]
          [Location: Humagi Territory, Hills, 120 miles south of forest]

          [As Farseeker and Ben'dar edge back away from the top of the
           ridge the discussion on the beast begins.  Strie'bog confirms
           it is a Wyrm.  As the discussion continues Corona flies over
           and down the hills to scout the creature.  This does seem
           to get the interest of the Wyrm though as it seems to perk
           up and move its tail as Corona flies nearby.  Corona does
           a wide circle and eventually lands near the party.]

          Farseeker: "I've never fought them but we handled that Storm
            Dragon ..demon thing....couldn't we handle this one?"

          Thig: "Not with its cloud of poison.  We'd be in melee range
            of poison.  I've heard horror stories of them.  They
            are always hungry.  My guess is its lair is somewhere
            nearby in the hills.  I doubt it would love down on the
            plains.  If I recall these set of hills are only about
            160 miles or so in area.  So it has a small territory.
            My guess is the Humagi know it exist and don't enter these
            hills.  I volunteer to draw its attention away.  You
            guys take the other way around and continue north.  I
            will eventually find you.  I will then come back and
            hide our trail for many yards.  I can also fool its sense
            of smell slightly."

          Trembyl: "We can outrun it?"

          Thig: "Yes.  Wyrms are wingless unlike dragons.  If it could
            fly I'm sure it would be on us by now.  Since they have
            no wings they are slow.  I hear faster in the water.
            We can easily out run it.  Now go."

          Xian: "The great serpent made those things?  We fought some
            of Kotothis creatures in the jungle near Port Doman.  The
            least of which a Hydra but never this creature."

          Trembyl: "If we can out run it why do you need to distract it?"

          Thig: "They are smart just as much as humans.  It may be
            fooled a bit but drawing it away will at least give
            you time to escape the area."

          [Thig hovers to the ground then grabs his bag.]

          Thig: "Now go."

          Farseeker: "Be careful." [He turns to the party]
            "Let's help him out and travel single file so our tracks
             can be better erased for at least a few hundred yards."

          [Chion being good in the hills takes in the surrounding
           terrain.  To the south just a couple miles is the plains.
           To the west is rocky terrain where the hills seem to continue
           on for the far horizon.  To the north they also continue
           but that way obviously is blocked by the Wyrm.  To the
           right the hills go down and then up in a rolling fashion
           typical of these type of hills.  Chion points to the
           east and leads the party onward.  Thig flies to the west
           away from the party as Corona continues to fly high above.]

          Farseeker: "Killing a dragon might've been fun.  If it weren't
            for that poison stuff.  I'm surprised Z'leyra doesn't
            have some material to protect against poisons.  I've heard
            of Marentian Knights killing dragons nine centuries ago
            when Marentia was divided up.  Big heroic stories of valor
            and death." [He looks back in slight disappointment] "Maybe
            there are some nice Humagi who do live nearby and this
            creature feeds on them.  By leaving it we could endanger
            other lives.  Is that wise?"

          Trembyl: "We aren't on a crusade to rid the world of every
            evil creature.  We are here to help Strie'bog.  If we
            go after that creature we might kill it but at great
            cost to us.  Then we would do Strie'bog no help then."

          Farseeker: "I suppose..." [he lowers his voice to s sad
            whisper] "..glory and valor..."

          Xian: "I hope Thig knows what he is doing."

          [Meanwhile Thig hides his bag into a thicket of bushes and
           flies toward the creature.  He flies 75 feet off the
           ground figuring it to be high enough.  As he crosses the
           ridge where the Wyrm is he begins to play his Faerry Flute.
           This gets the attention of the beast quickly which raises
           its head and brings fog going upward in clumps.  It begins
           to wave its tail.   Corona watches as Thig circles the
           best playing its flute.  The creature roars a hoarse but
           piercing cry.  Thig does a turn and lands on the west side
           of the hill.  The Wyrm begins to slither its way toward
           Thig.  Thig sits and plays his flute for awhile as the
           slow creature continues forward.  Thig then gets up and
           walks over the ridge so the Wyrm will have to follow.
           On the other side of the distant hill the party sees the
           Wyrm go out of sight behind some bushes and crossing over
           the ridge.  Thig considers an illusion but knows doing
           magic against a smart creature like this wouldn't work.
           So he continues to lure the creature westward for about
           45 minutes.  The Wyrm in its hunger continues to move
           slowly west but shows signs of starting to lose interest
           in this large bird creature of Thig.]

          [Corona after a half hour flies back toward the party to
           report the situation and not to lose the party himself.
           After an hour the creature only travels a third of a mile
           westward.  But this is enough to have crossed 2 small
           hills.  Thig finally gives up and quickly flies west then
           once he loses sight of the Wyrm flies southward then back
           toward his bag.  The Wyrm turns southward and bit and
           seems to move in a random pattern.  Thig grabs his bag
           and returns to the spot where the party left on the ridge.
           Pulling his bag open he pulls some flasks out and places
           some of its foul liquid on the ground in a random pattern.
           The foul smelling stuff should be enough to blind the best
           sense of smell for some time.  Thig then gathers some large
           bushes with large leaves and begins to obliterate the
           horse tracks as he flies up and down the hill erasing the
           tracks further.  He does this for another 15 minutes or
           so and finally ends.  Feeling confident the creature hopefully
           should not follow them to their night camp he heads east
           and picks up the trail of the horses himself.  After about
           20 minutes he catches up to the party and reports the
           results.]

          [Thig mounts his horse as the party continues a northern
           route through the hills.]

          Trembyl : "I bet the Wyrm's lair had a lot of stuff in it
            from people its eaten."

          [Two hours later the sun has almost set.  But the party
           continues on for another hour with torches.  Torches can
           bring attention of the Humagi but another hour is longer
           away from the creature.  But by now the travel is dangerous
           for the horses and temperatures begin to lower greatly.
           The party sets up camp quickly near a ridge wall with some
           plans.  The ridge is a 50 degree incline making ambush
           from it difficult.  That night the party decides that 3
           sentries are best in case the creature finds them.  The
           wolf is also asked to patrol.]

          [Luckily the Wyrm doesn't find the party that night.]

         Actions? Comments?

         Next update Friday...

         Ok.  This is a small update.  Since no one wanted to
         handle the Wyrm (shame would've been only 1400 cep! :))
         the party will continue northward.

         Friday I will do the next few days Days 27-33 I believe.
         I already know the results.  There will be a minor encounter
         but I will do it Express Mode.   Then I will have the
         party get near the Pavassa Forest.  This is the goal.
         By Monday the first details on the forest will be given
         and the true adventure will begin after only 10 updates. :)
         At that point I will detail the skill points gathered so far
         and will not count anymore after that.  So its your last
         chance.  Check out the Timeline link at the bottom of the
         game site for the lists of skills used.  If you haven't told
         me something by Monday it'll be too late.  if you have questions
         or comments send email.

         Not much for you guys to do at this point.  Unless you have
         talk or stories :).  Next update Friday.