[pnpgm] Game update #23 - File #108 - Party sleeps in cabin

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Feb 27 08:30:20 CET 2007

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update 223 in sequence (file #108)

     Admin notes:  None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          After the party is finished with a thorough inspection of the
          yard and Strie'bog's house, Ben'Dar inspects the two horses
          Xian found, to determine if any clues about their owners and
          their origins can be discovered.  He will tie them up with
          the rest of the party's horses.  The 2 new-found horses will
          be used as pack animals and/or spare mounts until they can be
          sold.

          Ben'Dar lights a torch and takes care of the horses, taking
          off saddles and bags, grooming them, feeding them, etc.  If
          Z'leyra is interested, he continues teaching her about horse
          husbandry as he does this.  He will put all the horses inside
          the stable for the night.  He will find a place to put the
          torch outside the stable to light the surrounding yard during
          the night.  Ben'Dar will lay out his bedroll inside the stable,
          in a place in the shadows.  He will stay out there to keep a
          watch over the horses during the night.  Who knows...maybe
          the mysterious flying man will try to sneak back during the
          night?
        GM: Ack. Actually 3 horses.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will teleport back to the house. Leaving his insubstantial
          spell working for the time being.

          He'll say, "I couldn't see whoever it was who ran off in that
          direction. I think we lost him without a tracking spell or
          something."

          Seeming relatively unconcerned about the intruders, he will
          go over to the front of the house and sit on the porch (his
          insubstantial spell will most likely wear off by then, or he
          will cancel it when he sits down).

          He begins to ponder.

          If only I had a home like this when I was growing. I would
          never have left except to speak with the Elves and Fearries.
          Humans can be so cruel to each other.

          But I guess its all for some plan in the end. Even if it is
          just to maintain these planes in this place. If the others
          only knew of the other worlds out there would they be content
          to be here. I wonder. And some of those planes aren't any
          better. Few are in fact.

          But what of the spiral and the black beast? That was an
          interesting world. Where would I reside. Hide from both sides
          perhaps. Become common. Give up my abilities. Naw. If I stay
          here what will come of me anyway. Will I succeed the Grand
          Master? Is that my destiny. Is there destiny? The future. Ah.
          The future is so well balance between what may be and what
          will be. I like the future. The past so hard to change. But
          the future is the past. That's the beauty of it. If I make
          myself more powerful, what will be the use. I can't even help
          catch a burglar. Its ironic and exactly right all at the same
          time. But why should I catch him anyway? Because he took pot
          shots at my friends. Yeah, that's one reason. But maybe my
          friends deserved it. Its too early to tell just yet. What of
          the Shaman. If I learn his ways, will I go crazy if my special
          friends are attacked. Should I even bother?

          But my gem would keep that from happening so maybe it would
          be ok. Its a nice night (looking up at the sky).

          I wonder if they have everything under control yet. Sure they
          do. They always do. They are a good group of friends. Not to
          hard to be friends with this group. Anything else would
          probably get you killed (Chion rubs the ring). "Hmmmm." he
          says aloud. Well, if I did want power, how would I go about
          it? The mana batteries I can make are weak right now. But if
          I practiced I could probably make ones that mean I never have
          to use my own mana. Ever. That would be nice. To always be
          full of the magical energy of this plane. Or is it nicer to
          conserve the balance? Or in order to conserve the balance
          should I be the conservation's advocate. Ensuring through
          my power I can keep balance? I will need to talk to the trader
          we met about this later. He has spent some time in a jail
          and should have some answers on how to better spend one's
          life. (and the thoughts continue until someone interrupts
          him... well into the next morning...)

          The last thought he has is - I wondered if they had even
          noticed I was just sitting here day dreaming...
        GM: Ack. Your thoughts are interesting.  You tempt me with
          plot points :).  But I'm surprised you post this publicly
          for all to see.  But its fun.  Adds spice. :)

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          As the bewildered group made their way back toward the cabin
          Arawn asked Thig if he cold look over the clay ball found in
          the clearing. Assuming that the fae mage is willing he rolls
          it in his hands, his eyes closing in concentration every know
          and then. As they reach the clearing he once again hands it to
          Thig, thanking him.

          Moving up toward the front door he watched as the others split
          to various tasks. Entering the abode he stood in the center of
          the main room, still and silent, his eyes out of focus. As
          questions and comments were raised Farseeker came to him,
          inquiring about the dead man. He eyes retained their distant
          look and he looked away from Farseeker, through the nearby
          window. After a moment he spoke quietly.

          "No, wait a moment. We may have need of the bodies."
          He turned around to face those present, his brilliant blue-
          green eyes sparkling, the only part of his face not obscured
          by the light grey face wrap. His voice was strong, thoughtful
          and serious.

          "If we wish to find out more of these men as well as what
          has happened to Strie'bog's mother I see at least a few
          options. First we can question the dead men's horses. They
          may possess useful information.

          Also, did anyone manage to wound the wizard? Or capture one
          of his belongings? If so we may be able to use the item as a
          link to track the wizard through the magic of sympathy."

          He paused a moment, as if deeply considering something,
          before continuing, his voice carrying a far graver tone.

          "Failing this we have at least two other options. I can attempt
          to peer into the past or," and he regarded Farseeker for a
          moment with a slight nod before engaging the others once again,
          "we can summon the spirits of the dead men for questioning.
          Both are fraught with danger, the first is a powerful and
          sometimes dangerous spell that may backfire and other summons
          the dark spirits of the dead, though I would be protected other
          magical protections would have to be in place to protect the
          rest of you from their wrath."

          He lowered his head slightly before turning a bit to look
          out of the window once again.

          "If there are other ideas then I am open to other suggestions.
          If not, let me know what you decide."

          Forgot to add that Arawn would also mention that we may be
          able to use the Tracking spell to locate Strie'bog's mother
          since she has plenty of personal belongings here.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra frowns at realizing that she failed to see through an
          illusion. The clay ball might be used to magically track the
          wizard, but with a foe this dangerous the odds of be led into
          a trap are too high to risk. She turns and starts to patch
          and then heal people that were injured.

        From Unali: [Re: Actions]
          Unali suggests keeping a watch around the house (perimeter
          guard) as well as on the horses during the night.

          She will wear her chainmail until she can find a leather
          armor that fits her and once back in town somewhere will
          have a new black leather armor made. SHe will use the black
          cowl over the chainmail in the meantime.

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          After looking around, Strie'bog returns with a small book.
          With some hesitation, he looks to the last written page.
          "It seems my mother has gone to visit Miklav.  I don't know
          when she left, but there is no fresh meat.  It must have
          been a while ago, but her plants seem cared for." He then
          looks around the house.

          "Unali, is this where you were attacked?"  Strie'bog kneels
          and looks around.  Picking up a small yellow flower, he says,
          "this is teil, and it only grows in the sacred forest."  He
          holds the flower up, and all can see it has a distinctive
          purple pattern inside the yellow leaves.  I wonder if these
          men had come from the forest."  After being lost in thought
          for a moment, he stands up and goes over to one of the older
          trees in the garden.  He then addresses the tree in Tounge of
          the Forest.  (It is a basic greeting).

          Using forest talk, he is going to ask the forest about the
          men that attacked and about Endo.

         [Decalis 13th, 104th day since left Marentia, 39th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest - Strie'bog's cabin/home]
          [Time: 5:34pm]

          [As the excitement wears out and adrenaline ends the
           party gathers once again.  Everyone is still confused
           as to why the party was attacked.  It was over so
           quickly. The house is found secure and empty after
           a quick search.  The cabin compound is well defended
           with its high hedge it will take some time for a person
           to try to get through.  The main entrance in the south
           is the only spot to guard really.]

          [Xian brings the three horses into the compound and
           Ben'dar takes over and begins to inspect them.   He
           starts to search the saddle bags.]

          Xian: "Great a blow back there.  Did you plan to do that?"

          [Ben'dar finds food, some spare leather and cloth clothing.
           A bedroll on each horse.  A water skin full of water.
           The saddles are of average design and not so fancy.  He
           removes the saddles from the horses.  The horses themselves
           seem to be of average quality riding mounts not war horses
           it seems.  The only distinctive thing about them is wider
           than average hooves.  From his days on the plains he knows
           the horses to the far north in the ice fields tend to be
           adapted for those areas by wide hooves to balance them
           on the ice.  But with so many barbarian tribes this far
           north including the Vassa, Helva, Humagi and others it
           could just be inter-breeding of the horses.  Other than
           some arrows on one horse and a dagger on another the
           horses have nothing unusual for wilderness survival and
           camping.  Ben'dar can't figure out which horse the
           flying man owned as theres no distinctive differences
           between the gear for each horse.  On the second horse
           when he removes the saddle he notices a small burnt mark
           on the black horses side where the saddle covered it
           up before.  He inspects it and find it is healing but
           the hair hasn't fully regrown in the blotch.  He feeds
           and cleans the horses then he gathers up the party
           horses as well and places them all in the barn.  This
           takes him almost 2 hours to fully do.  By then its
           dark and he lights a torch outside the barn.  Eventually
           Ben'dar selects a spot in the barn to sleep once things
           settle down.]

          [Chion returns to camp soon after the combat disappointed
           that he couldn't find the man in time.  He figures the
           man must be clever and used to having an escape plan.
           As he sits in the front under the stars he thinks for
           a good amount of time.  As people pass in their duties
           and coming in and out of the cabin they look at him
           in thought.  Some folks give chit-chat but overall most
           seem to ignore him in his thoughts that evening.  In
           his thoughts he recalls a story of a thief who used
           magical balls to show illusions to escape pursuit as well.
           A old trick but it seems to still work.  He leans against
           the wall of the cabin and listens to the forest.  During
           his thoughts he notices the staff on his leg seems to
           warm every so often.  This staff is strange indeed he
           considers.  Woundenal did mention there was something about
           it that seemed strange.  Chion wonders if he knew what
           it was or was just bluffing.  Eventually Chion falls
           asleep against the wall not even into his bedroll on the
           side of him.  Z'leyra will later on her watch place a
           blanket on him to ensure he doesn't freeze.]

          [Arawn and Z'leyra question the horses captured but they
           only seem to indicate they go from here to there and
           back and forth.  These are the smartest horses.  But
           then again most horses aren't.  All the horses seem to
           care is if there is good grass to eat where they are
           going or not.  Not much other clues are learned from
           the horses.  Since horses don't understand human speech
           other than one or two word verbal (repeated) commands
           they have no clue what was spoken or said by the humans.]

          [Arawn treats his own wounds with bandages.  Z'leyra
           offers to help but then again she would likely be better
           at human than Elf healing.]

          [After some time Strie'bog comes into the main room
           and for those there he explains what he has learned.
           He holds a small green book that seems to be the size
           of a diary or journal.]

          Strie'bog: "It seems my mother has gone to visit Miklav.  I
            don't know when she left, but there is no fresh meat.  It
            must have been a while ago, but her plants seem cared for."

          [Arawn thinks about a tracking spell for Strie'bog's mother
           but if the party knows her general direction there would
           be little use for it at this point.]

          [At the same time Thig flies back to the area and inspects
           the clay ball further.  He uses his senses to test and
           study the clay ball.  A simple design not needing any
           craftsmanship.  The size of a marble 4x normal size.  It
           has no markings on it.  But he does sense magic from it.
           He thinks the item is clever but simple.  A simple design
           one can make to store magic in and lose later.  He prods
           the ball with his staff but nothing happens.  He carefully
           inches forward and with a gloved hand he picks up the ball.
           He flies back to the cabin with it and places it on the
           table outside by the fire pit.  He then heads off to check
           on his gear as he often does.]

          [Arawn notices the ball and picks it up.  The ball is
           cold to his ungloved hands.  Suddenly the ball begins
           to hum and before he could put it down it turns to
           a warm mud and dissolves like pudding in his hands.]

          [Trembyl who is at the table sees this and comments.]
          Trembyl: "Interesting.  I touched it and held it and
            nothing happened.  But Thig touches it and nothing
            happened.  But wait he has gloves on.  You don't.
            Maybe it was made to do that if an Elf touched it?"

          [The mud runs from Arawn's hand and fingers down onto
           the table and onto the ground through the planks.
           He senses nothing from it at this point.]

          [Thig returns to see the mess and questions about the
           the clay ball.  Trembyl explains what happens.]

          Thig: "In a forest like this there are likely folks who
            hate sidh.  Maybe the wizard made it to do that for
            Sidh only?  Maybe he doesn't like us?" [He grins.]

          [A burial detail for the two bodies is setup and prepares
           to bury the dead with torches.  Best not to leave out
           all night for decay and predators.  But Arawn gives his
           suggestion on talking to the dead or seeing into the
           past.]

          Farseeker: "Oh no!  Talking to the dead is necromancy!
            I won't have anything to do with it.  We (he points
            to Xian) had to deal with a situation like that years
            ago and it backfired.  No thanks!  I'll not be in
            the area.  Besides that's dark magic!" [He narrows
            his eyes] "I didn't think Elves knew dark magic like
            that?"

           Xian: "Viewing into the past has been attempted by
             Z'leyra.  You can attempt it but as you say its
             risky.  But looking into the past of these 2 guys
             may only give you small clues.  These guys are
             hired bodyguards or thugs.  I doubt they would
             know anything.  But its your call."

           [Arawn also gives his suggestion on tracking the
            flying man.]

           Xian: "Z'leyra used the trick recently to track someone
             on the plains.  It worked.  I'm sure it would work
             in this case.  But the clay ball is gone now.  We
             don't know which horse is his.  The blood he lost
             when Corona hit him could be hard to find in the dark
             and gone by the morning.  So that again is up to
             you to decide to attempt."

           Farseeker: "Strie'bog said his mom went to this inner
             forest thing.  If the men were after her the man
             is likely heading there too.  But if he's not and going
             another direction we should help Strie'bog locate
             his mom first."

           [Later Strie'bog walks around the grounds and thinks
            to himself about being home.  When he gets to the
            back he kneels down where Unali was attacked and
            uses a torch from the courtyard to inspect the area.
            Unali inspecting the fountain, since her homeland
            has many fountains as a normal rule, hears him and
            joins him.  Both talk quietly and then Strie'bog
            finds the flower.]

           [Grouped back up the flower is mentioned.]

           Farseeker: "There you go.  If that man had the flower
             on him and it fell off when he bumped up against
             Unali then he must've come from there as well."

           [As two stand guard outside Z'leyra helps to cook up
            a meal with provisions in the storage room.  While
            there is no fresh meat there are good supplies of
            fruit and other items.  Having gotten permission first
            she and others clean up the room for the night's meal.]

           Xian: "You know this is the first time we've set down
             to an actual home table in months.  Other than
             eating outside or in some small tipi or something.
             It must be over three months!  Since the tavern
             gathering back in Sivas.  Hey!  Trembyl didn't you
             just have a birthday?"

           Trembyl: "Yes.  You remember?"

           Xian: "Of course!"

           Trembyl: "Just another day for me.  Another day closer to
             death."

           Farseeker: "Cheer us up why don't you." [He grins.]

           [As sentries outside patrol the area with Corona on the
            roof the party begins normal chit chat as if nothing
            bad has just occurred hours before.]

           Xian: "I must say Strie'bog this house is amazing.
             Its not like the other small huts we've seen."

           Trembyl: "Strie'bog going to sleep in your room tonight?"

           [And other chit-chat...]

           [Outside the forest is a buzz with night forest noises
            like the call of owls and the rustling of trees.
            This time of year insects are hibernating mostly so
            its more quiet this time of year.  The forest seems
            a blaze with fire flies.]

           [As the party prepares for bed as the night gets late
            two horses are left outside for patrol.  Ben'dar
            will sleep in the barn.  Xian asks if the party
            can sleep inside from the cold.]

           [Alone and on sentry Strie'bog walks up to the hedge to
            a tall 110 foot tree and casts some forest spell to
            commune with nature.]

           [It is clear to the party Strie'bog wishes to find
            his mother first and that is in the Sacred Forest.
            He explains its a good three day ride there but
            maybe along the way the party can learn other clues.]

           [That night nothing happens.  The man does not return
            or no forest giants attack.  A quiet and cold night
            comes and goes...]

                   ---------------------------

           GM: Assuming no other plans other than heading to the
             Sacred forest (per Strie'bog's interest) we'll move
             on. The party will move east into the deep forest.
             It will take 3 days from Decalis 15-17 (December).
             If you have actions during these days including skill,
             magic and other stuff let me know.  Next update on
             Friday I will check for random encounters and then
             move the party onward and see what happens then.
             I will report natural healing in the morning if
             no magical healing is done tonight.  If you wish to
             change skill training let me know.  Otherwise will
             allocate 6 or 3 points in next 3 days to the following:

             Ben'dar    :   Horse Husbandry
             Farseeker  :   Forest Survival
             Arawn      :   Scimitar
             Xian       :   Forest Survival
             Chion      :   Healer
             Trembyl    :   Throwing Dagger
             Strie'bog  :   Marentian
             Unali      :   Forest Survival/Horsemanship
             Z'leyra    :   Horse Husbandry

             If no change then nothing needs to be said.

          If you do spells please list spell name, Days cast on,
          and the EL.  Also plans for recasts if failures.
          Example:   Day 15  Fire Ball EL2

          Short update but Friday will be longer I hope.

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Friday...

          GM: Strie'bog - You will get email tomorrow afternoon.
            Some other players may get email as well.  It should
            be out by nightfall if you want to wait on posting
            actions.

          On a side note.  Based on emails back and forth with
          players I would like to clarify and add some new
          information for everyone to be aware of.  This
          is not directed at anyone but to give everyone a heads
          up so everyone knows where I am coming from.

          Mana Batteries: The Bane of GMs in some cases.  Mana
            Batteries for a MEL5 wizard is great to help those
            newbies.  Yes.  But at high levels they can virtually
            be power houses of abuse.  In the 20 years I've had
            a few to have tons of batteries.  As a result I have
            a house rule that the Divine world deems you can only
            use and make MEL/2 Mana Batteries at any one time.
            This help balance things out.  Otherwise folks tend
            to have so much mana they cast hundreds of spells or
            use only their batteries during game play.  This makes
            GMs life tougher in some ways by forcing them to
            make things tougher on players.  On the reverse side
            those who only use Casting Ability for magic and
            get weak (like in Clima where some were tapped out),
            a GM like myself will be generous and make things
            EASIER.  That's just how I run things.  So keep this
            in mind for future.  I don't mind mana batteries at
            all but dependency is a big problem in a game world like
            P&P compared to other game systems.

          Spells:  Its no secret the most active spell caster has
            to be Z'leyra.  I don't point this out to mean anything
            bad.  Its just she can do so.  I'm all for casting
            any amount of spells you want.  Just be aware of other
            things (see below).  If you want to and can afford to
            cast hundreds of spells I would like it formatted so
            its less work on myself.  I would need the Day, spell,
            EL, plans on recasts if failures.  In cases where
            a spell affects a target like Chaining you should let
            me know what your practicing on (say a bug).  Personally
            my view on casting spells is they are best done during
            Adventures.  In that I like characters that cast magic
            when needed.  Casting 200 spells in one week can make
            characters leap up in MEP in no time.  This brings the
            attention of others (see below).  In no time characters
            can become great with only a short few adventures.  Its
            not too realistic in some cases.  Its no fun either.
            It leaves the challenge out in my opinion.

          Toys: "Toys" to me are magical items.  Be it a simple
           Damage plus dagger to a ultra powerful glove of
           Death doing Death Powers at EL10.  To me many players
           depend on their toys rather than their role playing
           skill or their character.  I have NO problem with you
           making toys.  Go for it.  But be advised that more
           toys draws attention.  A person like Xian who has few
           toys is less a Magic Bullseye than someone say like
           Jordi who had many (can name him since he's not here :)).
           The greater the toys the more attention you draw by
           supernatural forces and such.  Its like a beacon in the
           dark.  Just wanted to make sure you guys realize this
           risk.  I have no problem with toys that help but they
           can be pain for me by spoiling plot points.  But that's
           the bane of all GMs for 40 years now.  I as GM though
           do have to get clever and invent work arounds. To me
           that's a fun challenge.  But for you guys it could
           be a bad deal. :)  Alex has a good knowledge of making
           toys and if you want to get help in such things you
           can consult him.  Just keep in mind at some point though
           we have an image in our minds of our characters.  A
           walking fortress with weapons and belt load of magical
           toys looks funny if your walking down a simple market
           street.  No one has to have Mana Sensing to know your
           a strange and unusual person.  So keep in mind the more
           toys the fun but the risks increases.

          Balance: As I've posted in the PNP mailing list I'm a big
            fan of Balance.  I believe EVERYTHING should be in
            a fine balance.  I guess this is why I like the
            Multiverse games like Stormbringer. :)  There seems
            to be a champion of balance in me.  What this means
            is that for every action minor or big I will strive
            to balance it.  A spell I create may be powerful like
            a Shield spell but it may have drawbacks (the balance).
            A magical toy might be great and powerful but it
            also might have balance.  A situation where the party
            outnumbers the enemy 3:1 may be balanced by more and
            more powerful enemy who actually use their brain than
            grunt.  As you've noticed as the party goes from Clima
            the simple enemy was guards who died left and right
            and acted like bad Game AI.  The most powerful were
            Priestess.  But now as the adventures go on the bad
            guys are more and more powerful and intelligent.
            This is the balance as the power of the party grows.
            I've also tried to decrease party size to balance
            that power and it may continue later.  All I can say
            is Balance will be everywhere.  One can strive for
            Power (magic or otherwise).  That's all fine.  But
            there will be a balance to even that.  Otherwise it
            makes life boring when the party can simply kill
            everything in sight without the enemy hitting back.
            That's no fun is it?

          Free Will: Don't forget you guys have Free Will.  It
            may be a challenge (fun) to react to your actions.
            At times it throws me for a curve.  That's half the
            fun.  But I will NEVER fringe on that free will.
            Just be aware of the risks.  Since John is new I'm
            only repeating old info.  I never will try to on
            purpose kill a person.  Its not my style.  I don't
            throw 100 orcs at one person.  No.  But if your
            stupid to do something like cross a moat full of
            acid by wading when warned then go ahead.  Just
            be aware of the risks.  As I play Xian (myself)
            he is the typical NPC who gives advice.  Sometimes
            that advice is real, misleading or totally wrong.
            That's fun too.  But his advise will be a guide on
            your free will.  Do as you please as long as you
            know the risks.  PBEMs are slower than table games
            so while I do free will I may "urge" the game into
            a direction.  This has to be done otherwise we'd be
            sitting at the cabin for the next 6-8 months before
            the day ends. :)  That's not infringing on free will
            just a suggestion on journey path.

          Avatars:  Lastly as spell or skill ELs get to max we
            all must be aware of the risks with that as well.
            As a house rule I've always liked the idea that
            the gods view the world about them and seek out
            their best faithful or worst haters.  So the gods
            are watching.  A person that may get max EL in
            a spell like EL15 in Fireball may draw the attention
            of a Fire God.  He may deem that person worthy of
            a visit by his Avatar.  The Avatar may be fanatics
            for that god (usually only 1 in the MW for that god).
            He is the god's chosen person.  He is a direct
            communication between the god and the middle world.
            The avatar may seek out this Fire person and see if
            the god wishes to seek an audience or make THAT
            person a Avatar.  What I'm saying is while you climb
            keep in mind skills and spells will get to Max.  While
            a EL15 in some skill means little there may be special
            cases where a skill is very high.  But mostly the gods
            view for spell use.  For example Chion's Teleport spell
            is probably the best in the world at this point.  This
            is no secret based on the distance teleported.  This
            means Chion may have drawn the attention of some god
            by his large teleports.  This attention may be good
            or bad.  For example a Chaos Mage with EL18 in Death
            Hand may be sought out by a Chaos god to become his
            Death Avatar.  A EL17 Healing wizard may be asked to
            become a Lawful god's main Healing Avatar.  That
            sort of thing.  This Avatar status may be a bonus
            or a curse.  It depends on the person and the item
            in question (skill/spell).  So as long as you know
            this the more spells you cast the more attention you
            could bring.  If you cast for example 100 EL0
            Fireballs a day you might draw the attention of some
            small fire god.  He may wonder what's up.  But if
            you cast 100 Water from Stones I doubt there is
            a god interested in such a spell use so likely no
            attention is drawn.  With this said cast all the
            spells you want I just wanted you to know how I do
            things.  It adds spice I think.  :)

          If you have questions or comments public or private
          let me know.  If I think of other house rules I'll
          post them later.