[pnpgm] Game update #33 - File #151 - Party goes deep into Sacred Forest

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Apr 3 06:20:28 CEST 2007

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update 233 in sequence (file #151)

     Admin notes:  None.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          As snow has fallen the temperature is cold enough for Z'leyra
          to wear her fine furs. When the tents are taken down she takes
          a few minutes to make herself look more presentable. She also
          spends a few minutes in conversation with Corona about the
          events that passed and the likely events in the future.

          She continues to heal those that need healing. She ponders
          washing and reusing old bandages.
        GM: Ack.  But Snow is much later after camp is broken.  Keep
          note of the Dates and Times I post if you get confused :)
          [Time: XXXX] [Decalis YYY] for example.  In the headers
          below.  All in same day so no more healing unless you
          force 3rd healings? :)

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn smiled as Strie'bog offered his thanks, explaining
          his concern for the wolf.

          "You are more than welcome and I can understand your concern."
          He looked to Boyzdar for a moment, there eyes meeting, before
          continuing, "I would assume that he is more than a friend, he
          IS family, as you are to him." Arawn's smile lingered a moment
          longer while a brief and distant look came over him before he
          took to tending the horses.

          The group came to halt at the invisible border to the Sacred
          Forest. Strie'bog spoke and offered them passage into the heart
          of the great wood and as Arawn came forward to accept the
          invitation he knelt beside the great oak and lay one hand upon
          it's massive trunk. His eyes were shut and he lowered his head
          in supplication. As he does so he speaks, "I come in peace
          without anger or hate in my heart."

          Arawn rises and steps forth and is immediately aware of the
          brilliance of the border between worlds. Here, perhaps, where
          the walls are thin, his prayers might be heard and carried to
          his family beyond. Alone in the borderland he looks up to the
          trees and speaks.

          "Carry my prayers, if you will, to great Morrigan and mighty
          Payan. Tell them that there son, Arawn, is lost but safe but
          that I worry for Telte, for we were ambushed and parted. Alas,
          my memory is hazy, my recollection vague and I worry for I do
          not know what I have forgotten. I do not know what has happened
          to my companion but ask that they find him for our enemies are
          great and remain unknown to me. And I do not know why the gates
          home are closed. But let them know that I will find my way and
          do what I must to grow strong and simply ask for their blessing
          on my journey.

          Thank you mighty and sacred wood. I release this burden and
          prayer to you and ask for your blessing as I travel through
          the Sacred Wood. May your leaves never fall and the life you
          shelter flourish underneath."

          He finishes his prayer and then turns to await the full
          arrival of the others.

          After Strie'bog recovers Arawn will also cast Energy on both
          himself and Strie'bog to restore any energy lost. He will
          offer this to any who feel unusually drained.
        GM: Ack.  What language is the prayer in?  After you say the
          prayer you do notice a white dove take off from one tall
          tree and fly north but is lost in the tree canopy.  As
          to Energy they'd have to OK any energy spell on them since
          I don't force spells without permission.

         [Decalis 15th, 106th day since left Marentia, 41st day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [Time: Around 4:18am.]

             [12 hours previously....back in the camp...]

             [The party still has to decide what to do with the
              goblin paralyzed by the Shaman's spell.  He is not
              wounded and will be free in about 12 hours.]

             Farseeker: "Let him go and let the forest be his
               fate without weapons and supplies."

             Thig: "Being frozen for hours while animals may enter
               the camp will teach the creature a lesson.
               So let him.  It'll be far more cruel than death."

             Trembyl: "My guess the poor creatures were controlled
                or coerced by the Shaman.  To kill them while he
                is defenseless would be wrong."

             Xian: "I agree with the others."

             GM: I wasn't calling for a vote per se.  But since
                 no one was posting suggestions other than Unali
                 in email about it here goes.

                 Farseeker: Free      Thig      : Free
                 Trembyl  : Free      Xian      : Free
                 Unali    : Free      Arawn     : Unknown
                 Ben'dar  : Unknown   Chion     : Unknown
                 Z'leyra  : Unknown   Strie'bog : Unknown

                 Free: 5  Unknown - 5

                 So tied now.  Need at least one more vote for
                 a majority.  If someone kills him outright while
                 paralyzed then say so as your vote as well.
                 If no other view on this he'll be set free by
                 default by Friday's update.

             GM: Congratulations to Arawn with the spells in the
                 last update he is +1 MEL!

          [Time: 4:22pm]

             [As the party crosses over the magical barrier from
              the simple wood to the Sacred Forest each person can
              feel a surge of energy and electricity like effects
              all over each person's skin.  The horses are seem
              oddly calm and do not get skittish by this as well.
              Looking up at the sky it seems as if the sun is actually
              brighter and the sky seems more clear from clouds.
              But its unsure if its an illusion or something else.

              During the trip from the cabin Strie'bog explained many
              details of the Sacred Forest  Even to the confusion of
              those who don't understand the difference between a
              Wood, Forest and Sacred Forest.  He explains that
              age matters to it.  A wood is young and light with
              trees.  A Wood tends to be less organized as a living
              "thing".  A forest like the Wild Forest is huge and
              can be thousands of years old.  Well established as
              a force of nature in the area.  Able to compete with
              other terrain like deserts and mountains that may try
              to overtake forests.  The ecosystem is more well balanced
              than a Wood.  Forest creatures and supernatural forces
              will tend to live in a forest rather than the Woods.
              In some of the more ancient forests like the Wild Forest
              some trees are ancient in age going as old as most
              civilizations existed.  Here the Druids and other
              humans worship the forest, animals and tress to help
              support the balance.

              As to a Sacred Forest there are few left in the Middle
              World.  Maybe only a half dozen if that some say.  The
              true number is not known.  Some of the largest and
              more ancient forests have a Sacred Forest.  Thig has
              mentioned the Wild Forest has one but he has never
              visited it or been invited there.  The party has
              been to various places and ponder the locations of
              other Sacred Forests.  Clearly the Wild Forest being
              so ancient must have one somewhere.  The Great Forest
              must have one to the north of the Wild Forest.  Its
              debated if the Dark Lands/Choshai area might have one.
              The Fierazi forest could have one but Thig doubts that
              as the Fierazi tend to be fierce people and such a
              sacred place wouldn't be found there.  But Strie'bog
              knows these Sacred areas have been here long before
              any humans were.

              Strie'bog was told the domain of the Sacred Forests is
              that of Cernunnos but surely there must be other gods
              which have some influence here?  He has always wondered
              that since childhood.  As the party travel in the
              Sacred Forest he is proud to tell more of its history.
              Strie'bog explains these places have always been
              a haven for life not death.  During the God Wars most
              of the sacred groves were destroyed.  but finally
              Cernunnos gave his life in battle against Kototh
              to save the last of the Sacred Areas.

              Once Cernunnos was reborn the sacred forests have
              begun to spread and awake back to their true nature.
              Since he strives for life he went the path of Neutrality
              and so the Sacred Forest has that path as well.

              Each Sacred Forest has one Forestal which rules the
              sacred grove with help from others.  The Sacred Forest
              ht's its own laws and rules different from the outside
              areas.  In this case the Pavassa Sacred Forest has
              iws own laws from Vassa customs.

              Strie'bog explains the Sacred Forest grows by taking
              life from invaders into the Sacred Forest itself.  It
              will defend the land and use the sacrifice of those
              lives for its own growth.  The other way is each
              act of love adds life to the forest itself.  New births
              are said to immediately cause a new tree to grow.

              As the party moves through the forest Strie'bog has
              no actual bearing on where everyone is.  But from
              experience he knows the forest itself can through
              subtle ways guide folks to their destination.

              After what seems like 45 minutes the party encounters
              2 Centaurs going fast in a playful mood from north to
              south across the front of the party at about 200 yards.
              Before the party can react or get their attention they
              are away and out of sight.

              The party emerges from the woods into a clearly that
              runs north to south about 300 yards by 100 yards.
              To the right of the party are a group of people.  In
              fact one Centaur, 3 humans, 1 Elf, 2 Cu Sith and
              1 Cait Sith around a small rock pit that might have
              been a fire pit at one time.  Upon hearing the party
              and horses all of the people turn and stare back
              at the party.

              The humans stand and watch the party.  They talk quietly
              among themselves.  They don't seem to be armed or
              at least its not seen.  One human wearing a very light
              blue robe strides forward.  At about 30 feet he looks
              at Strie'bog and the wolf.  Suddenly his arms part and
              his face beams.

              Man: "Strie'bog!  Is that you?" [He says in Vassa]

              [Strie'bog cocks his head and dismounts.  He walks
               forward and at about 10 feet finally recognizes him.
               Vassily a old friend. Both converse quickly in
               Vassa and so no one understands their conversation.
               Seeing this Strie'bog explains he is a old friend
               who was at one point training to be a Druid.  The
               blue robes may designate something else but Druid
               he might convey from his looks.  The man stands
               about 5'11 and has a thick brown mustache.  Otherwise
               he looks like most Vassa.  Strie'bog does some live
               translations.]

              Vassily: "What brings you here?"

              [Strie'bog explains the search for his mother.]

              Vassily: "I've not seen her in weeks.  I'm here for
                the Winter Solstice.  I'm here to help the other
                Druids with the rituals.  Its less than a week away
                now.  I just got here a day ago myself.  Maybe
                the others would know of her location?  Let's go
                find out."

              [With that Vassily waves to the others and leads the
               party by foot through the clearing to the other side.
               Small talk is given for a few minutes.  What seems
               like 30 minutes is actually about 15 when the party
               enters into another open area.  This one full of
               sunlight and circular in nature with tall ancient
               trees all around.  Strie'bog stops the party and
               tells them to dismount and leave the horses as he
               recognizes this area.  This is the actual center of
               the Sacred Forest.  To the right is a small pond
               about 50 by 75 feet wide but doesn't look deep.  Swans
               and ducks are floating on the surface.  To the left
               and north the sun filters through fog and trees are
               seen.  To the east and forward is a circle of rocks
               and stones that seem to denote a outline of a once
               building or some other structure.  The rocks are only
               a foot or so high but as big as a human's head at most.
               At 50 feet the party walk closer with Vassily in the
               lead.  At 30 feet the party can see details of those
               with their backs to the party.  One man sitting on the
               grass seems to have pointed ears so must be an Elf.
               To the left of him a human it seems from the back.

               In front of the Elf and Human are two others.  One
               is a white haired man holding a wooden staff that
               is almost as tall as the man himself that curves
               at the tip of the staff into a circle.  He is wearing
               dark gray robes.  He is facing the party but doesn't
               see the party as his head is turned to the left
               looking at another Human.  The Human is wearing simple
               brown hides and tunic and seems to be speaking to
               the group assembled.

               Vassily stops the party at 10 feet from the back of
               the sitting human and Elf.  He puts up a hand to
               give silence.  The White Haired man now seems to
               recognize their presence and turns his face.  He
               lifts his head and stares at the party.

               Ben'dar gives a verbal gulp and gasp as the only
               one to react right away.  As the man sees the
               White haired man they notice the man has no eyes.
               Just a blank area where they should be.  Yet the
               hair on the necks of most seem to raise.  Strie'bog
               glances at Ben'dar and Ben'dar pulls himself together.

               Vassily: "I bring visitors." [Strie'bog translated
                 quietly.]

               [The human man stops speaking to the eyeless man
                and folks his arms.  The sitting Elf and Human
                stand.  As the Elf turns around it can be seen
                he is wearing shiny armor with green and brown
                flowing tunics of fine design.  The Elf has a
                sheathed sword on his right hip.  On one hand
                a ring is seen briefly.

                As the human stands the party sees his flowing
                tunics as well of green and browns.  The black
                haired man stands and turns.

                Instinctively Unali places hands on her daggers
                and is about to flex her hands when Strie'bog
                glances at her in confusion.  Farseeker places
                a hand on her shoulder.

                Farseeker: "What's wrong?"

                [Arawn seems to recognize the man as well but can't
                 fully place him at this point.  He saw him somewhere?]

                Xian [in a low tone almost muttering] "No weapons!
                  Neutral ground!"

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Friday....

          [Player/Animal Physical Status]

                Player    Healing    HPV Damage / Status
              Trembyl        2            9       Moderate Damage
              Unali          2            5       Minor Damage

          GM: Private emails or contact to Arawn, Unali and Strie'bog.
              Expect it.

              This is a short update but it may be short like this
              for awhile as we process events.