[pnpgm] Game update #114a - File #427 - Level 2 explored

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Sep 15 08:15:38 CEST 2006

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.
     http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem

     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #114a  in sequence (file #427)

     Admin notes: Hope I didn't offend folks with my 9/11 comments.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar will continue attacking the two gaurds nearest
          him. He'll help search the room quickly for any
          interesting loot, after all the gaurds are down.

          After the fight, he'll say in a quiet voice, "We need
          to cut off the head of this snake.  Where are the
          commanders of this castle?  We should go after them
          quickly before they can escape  or organize the castle's
          defenses."
        GM:  Ack.

        Octaqi 30, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile in Caladan's Village]
        [Day 60 of Trip]
        [Time: 4:03am]

       [Turn 1: Phase 4]

         [Farseeker moves from between two beds and helps Balrog.
          He thrusts his great sword at Guard #6 who just hit Balrog
          and impales the guard doing 15 points of damage killing him.]

         [Trembyl moves east and ends up behind Unali.]

         [Ben'dar swings his magical pike to the left and hits
          the guard #14 in the right side piercing ribs and lungs
          doing 12 points of damage.  This kills the guard.]

         [Unali side steps around the chair and Ben'dar.  She
          comes up beside Ben'dar and with both daggers swings
          toward the guard #8's head and shoulders to subdue.  Both
          daggers hit.  The first hits his left shoulder but does
          nothing.  The second dagger hits the right side of the
          head and the 6 points of subdual damage knocks the guard
          out.  He falls to the ground.]

         [Balrog checks his wound and puts pressure on the bleeding
          spot to stop it from bleeding.]

         [Z'leyra moves eastward and comes along side Balrog.  She
          notices he is bleeding and stops to inspect the wounded
          with a brief cursory look.]

         [Chion moves eastward.  Sees Farseeker in the way and
          jumps onto the bed of the dead guard [B8].  He
          jumps back off and ends up about 3 feet from the last
          guard.]

         [Kasha stands around and looks to see only one guard
          is left and its already too crowded with 3 people
          in a small corner.]

         [Strie'bog with bow loaded has no good shot at the last guard
          as Chion and Farseeker are possible targets.]

         [Guard #5 swings his weapon at Xian but fails to hit.]

         [Xian swings his war staff at the last guard #5 and hits
          but only does 4 points of damage.]

         [End of turn 1: phase 4]
  [Barracks Calvary]     - 80x150'          F=Farseeker
       1234567890     1 Column = 8 feet     T=Trembyl
      I----------IA   1 Row = 15 feet       B=Ben'dar
      I D DD# DCXIB   # = Bed/Foot Locker   U=Unali
      I       FX IC   @ = Table             R=Balrog
      ISH at .   RD#ID   . = Chair             C=
      x/Chion Z
      [    ...KD IE  $$ = Gear locker       K=Kasha
      I$   @@@  #IF                         S=Strie'bog
      I$   @@@   IG                         X=Xian
      I$   ...Ux#IH  X=Alive guard          H=Thig
      ID   xT BD II  D=Dead [J4,A5,J2,A2,B8,IA,B4,E9,D9,I9]
      I_D_D_#_#_#IJ  x=Unconscious [I5,H9]

         X=#5 [B10]

       [Turn 2: Phase 1]

         [Farseeker moves past Xian and has no room to swing
          but thrusts his great sword at the guard #5.  He
          hits and does 9 points of damage killing the guard.]

         [End of turn 2: phase 1]
  [Barracks Calvary]     - 80x150'          F=Farseeker
       1234567890     1 Column = 8 feet     T=Trembyl
      I----------IA   1 Row = 15 feet       B=Ben'dar
      I D DD# DCXIB   # = Bed/Foot Locker   U=Unali
      I        XFIC   @ = Table             R=Balrog
      ISH at .   RD#ID   . = Chair             C=
      x/Chion Z
      [    ...KD IE  $$ = Gear locker       K=Kasha
      I$   @@@  #IF                         S=Strie'bog
      I$   @@@   IG                         X=Xian
      I$   ...Ux#IH  X=Alive guard          H=Thig
      ID   xT BD II  D=Dead [J4,A5,J2,A2,B8,IA,B4,E9,D9,I9,B10]
      I_D_D_#_#_#IJ  x=Unconscious [I5,H9]

        [Combat ends after 18 quick seconds.  There are 11 dead
         guards and 2 knocked out by Unali. The room is checked
         for loot and its counted quickly:

         1 Mace, 2 Separs, 10 Lances, 15 Javelins, 13 Daggers
         9 Bucklers, 7 Leather Armors
         694 BB, 118 CC [L'p'nthian]]

         The Usual assorted materials like clothing, uniforms,
         horse gear (some spurs, whips, minor horse gear like
         blinders, etc. found in the lockers), various eating
         utensils, camping gear (water skins, bedrolls, etc.)
         and about 3-4 letters in personal foot lockers.

         The coins will be bagged now and taken for any other
         stuff they'll have to be claimed later.  Based on
         the few coins here it seems based on the cards and
         dice on the table these guys must've gambled away their
         money to the infantry boys since they had more.]

        Ben'dar: "We need to cut off the head of this snake.  Where
          are the commanders of this castle?  We should go after
          them quickly before they can escape  or organize the
          castle's defenses."

        Balrog: "I'm not cutting off their heads! Ahh...could
          you help me?" [He looks at Z'leyra and sits in a chair.]

        Farseeker: "Its a figure of speech.  By taking out the
          guards we have likely taken out 25-30% of their guard
          force.  The time of day would mean most should be here.
          But there has got to be night guards and patrols.  Chion
          never said he got that far to figure out where the
          commanders are.  But while we need to get them we can't
          ignore the others.  A dragon's head is dangerous but
          his tail can just be as dangerous.  We should clean up
          around here first."

        [While the others check for loot and gather the coins
         Z'leyra checks over Balrog.  They both have to strip
         off the torn leather armor as its useless.  Z'leyra
         patches up the damage and heals him.  Balrog thanks
         her and finds another suit to wear of leather as his
         was useless now.  His wound completely heals.]

        [Balrog speaks quietly so only Z'leyra can hear him
         though in the quiet room its easily overheard if tried.]

        Balrog: "I know why Chion, Farseeker and Ben'dar among
          the others do their thing but I'm surprised you would
          cut the throat of a person.  Isn't that against the
          healer's code or something?  Give all mercy is some
          credo of yours or something?"

        GM: The above 7 leather armor is AFTER Balrog gets another
          suit (so originally 8 found).

        [Rope is found in the equipment lockers and gags are made
         for the two that are knocked out.  Its one thing to
         slaughter but if they can be left alive but knocked out
         for hours its another thing.  Hopefully by the time they
         wake up the party will be long gone.]

        Farseeker: "Based on the amount of weapons found the
          ones stolen by Chion may have been for others.  I
          hope theres not a force upstairs.  Maybe they were
          for visitors or reinforcements...I hope."

        [The party doused out the torch end peers into the
         hallway.  Thig, Chion and Farseeker continue to lead
         the way.  Thig for magic sniffing..Chion as he knew
         some of their place and Farseeker for the best warrior
         or one of the best.]

        [First my explanation of Express Gaming.  In order to
         speed things up so we don't get bogged down in "where
         to now?"s and "actions for this empty room"? I'll
         move the folks along during the more dull points.
         The basic exploration.  If there is a combat of lower
         than 15 folks I'll probably go ahead and do it based
         on past actions.  However, if its some critical point
         like magic is found or the Big Secret Orb is found to
         solve life and the ultimate question I'll stop and
         ask for actions.  Same for critical combats involving
         the Big Bad Guys not their Minions.  Based on past
         actions I'll do the following for each character:

         Balrog:  1. Pick locks, check traps
                  2. Fight in support role rank
                  3. Fight to kill

         Ben'dar: 1. Fight in first rank role
                  2. Use Pike, Spear, Dagger in order of action
                  3. Use Bow if ranged combat needed
                  4. Fight to kill.

         Chion  : 1. Fight in First rank action
                  2. Use Sai, Staff, Sword, Battle Axe in order
                  3. Use Magic only when I call for actions
                  4. Fight to kill

       Farseeker: 1. Fight in First Rank position
                  2. Use Great Sword mainly [others if break]
                  3. Fight to kill

       Thig     : 1. Fight in Supportive Ranks
                  2. Use War Staff, Daggers in melee
                  3. Use Repeating Crossbow If able
                  4. Use Magic in support
                  5. Fight to kill or subdue depending

       Trembyl  : 1. Fight in First or Support Ranks depending
                  2. Use Magical Scimitar, Daggers in order
                  3. Use Arbalest if ranged combat
                  4. Use Magic in support actions
                  5. Fight to kill or subdue depending

       Unali    : 1. Fight in First Rank
                  2. Use Daggers, scimitar [if breakage]
                  3. Use Sling if ranged combat
                  4. Fight to subdue

       Strie'bog: 1. Fight in supportive Rank
                  2. Use Axe in melee
                  3. Use Bow in Ranged combat
                  4. Use Magic in supportive or offense actions
                  5. Fight to kill

       Xian     : 1. Fight in First or Support Ranks [depending on numbers]
                  2. Use War Staff, Daggers
                  3. Use Arbalest in ranged attacks
                  4. Use Magic in support
                  5. Fight to kill or subdue depending

       Z'leyra  : 1. Fight in First or Support Ranks
                  2. Use Dagger, Staff depending
                  3. Use Bow in ranged attacks
                  4. Use Magic in Support and combat actions
                  5. Fight to kill

        First Rank   - Out front always fighting first
        Support Rank - Behind the lines like most wizards might do

        Movement will be random with some strategic thinking on
        the parts of characters (Farseeker, Chion - Int Rolls
        and Skill rolls (Tactics, etc.).  Movement into rooms
        will be random or strategic.  So in some cases First rank
        characters would enter a room first but not always be
        Chion or Thig.  It could be Trembyl entering a room first.

        BTW for future games this express gaming above will be
        put into the same affect with the same points unless
        things change (weapons, etc.).

        [Before leaving the barracks room Z'leyra casts some more
         spells.  One increases her speed/movement.  Though she
         can't walk as fast as the party speed (slow and  cautious)
         she casts it.  She also casts invisibility and disappears.
         then finally another spell Thig recognizes the words from.]

        [The party exits the room and turns south.  After 40 seconds
         of walking with a rock wall to the west (right) of the party
         they find a door.  According to Chion this is where stairs
         lead down to the 1st floor but it doesn't go up.  The party
         continues south.  There they find another door.  At this
         point its unexplored territory.  With ease Farseeker and
         Thig listen for noises and finds none.  The door is unlocked
         so they quietly open it and see darkness inside.  Thig peers
         in with his night eyes and sees nothing or no one.  He
         opens the door wider and to ensure his eyes don't fail him
         he explores the room with a nearby torch from the rock
         wall.  Hs senses magic but only sees dust.  The room is empty.]

        [Z'leyra slows down but is still invisible.  AS Thig inspects
         the room for magic with Kasha suddenly 60 feet south around
         the corner a guard on patrol appears.  He sees the large
         party and for what seems like minutes stare at each other.
         Seeing blood on tunics and the other strange clothing he
         figures this to be an enemy.  Unsure to attack or run for
         help he ponders his moves for milliseconds.  He knows the
         wild lady has done tests before.  Maybe this is such a
         test.  In a grin he goes into defensive posture and with
         a mace on his belt he holds his spear up high in a challenge.]

        [As the guard waves his spear and readies for Battle Trembyl
         takes aim with his preloaded Arbalest.  While its 62 feet
         the aim is good as there are torches all along the rock
         wall.  He fires and the quarrel goes flying.  It hits
         the man in the right shoulder and slices tissue.  It
         does a massive 12 points of damage.  The guard suddenly
         grabs his shoulder dropping the spear.  He looks confused
         as if betrayed by the test?  He thought it was a drill?
         then he slumps and falls to the ground.  The party looks
         at Trembyl and smile.  Bravado over technology sometimes
         doesn't win out.]

        Farseeker: "I was afraid there might be patrols.  Keep your
          eyes alert.  Those in the rear check our backs."

        [Ben'dar and Chion help put the body into the empty room.
         Then Thig/Kasha leave.  Only the Mace, Spear, Leather
         armor is found on him aside from 49 L'p'nthian BB coins
         found and pocketed for the party.]

        [Meanwhile unknown to the party some 430 feet north of
         the party down the hall another guard on patrol had
         rounded the corner and saw the battle.  He hid in a alcove
         just in time before seeing.  He knows he is outnumbered
         and ponders his move.]

        [Time: 4:19 [14 Minutes after entry into the castle]

        [the party moves south again and rounds the corner after
         the 60 feet.  After rounding the wall partition wall
         the party finds tunnels going due West, east and north.
         A wall is to the south.  Almost due south the party
         finds a opening to the wall where there are stone steps
         leading up about 5 feet.  Chion and Farseeker creep up
         the stairs and on each side of the wall peer around.
         There they see a level ground area with torches all along
         the north wall.  There are some window slits in the wall.
         Farseeker waves Chion back and informs the party.]

         Farseeker: "I've seen it before.  Its a typical sentry
           level for the castle for outside.  they can fire
           bows and such from here.  That's where Chion saw the
           windows when he walked in.  Looks like one or two guards."

         [He looks east and west and counts.]

         Farseeker: "There are six steps I can count.  We should
           split up into pairs take each one to take out the guards
           so none can escape.  Assuming there aren't more further
           west."

         GM: The scale is too big for a Hex map so doing this scaled
           down version for combat plus makes map easy to reproduce
           and save ones space. :)

  Scale \ 1 Column = 10 feet (600' total)
          1 Row    = 10 feet (30' feet wide hall)
          West<>East
          = - Stairs (5 feet up/down)
          |`| - Larger stiars (main stairs?)
          * = Small catapult (wood firing fire, ammo, etc.)
          / = Wooden window with rocks in front for disguise
          G = Guard placement on sentry

           1         2         3         4         5         6
  123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
            | Room? |                                        |
 |______=___|_______|_=______|~~~|______=_______=_______=____|
A|                                                           |
B|                         G                                 |
C| * G   *     G   *    *      G       *    *  G      *  G * |
  -/-----/---------/----/--------------/----/---------/----/-|

      GM: There are window slits for archers every 10 feet along
      the south wall but only wide enough for firing out.
      Random placement of entry points.

           1         2         3         4         5         6
  123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
            | Room? | 1        2        3       4      5     |
 |______=___|_______|_=______|~~~|______=_______=_______=____|
A|                                                           |
B|                         G                                 |
C| * G   *     G   *    *      G       *    *  G      *  G * |
  -/-----/---------/----/--------------/----/---------/----/-|

     Stair #1=Balrog, Xian
            2=Ben'dar/Strie'bog, Z'leyra
            3=Chion, Trembyl
            4=Farseeker, Thig
            5=Kasha, Unali

      [The party prepares missile weapons, magic and check
       weapons.  One last check over their shoulder. Hand
       signals are sent down the line to coordinate the
       ambush.  When everyone is satisfied a count of 10 is given
       and at the end everyone rushes up the stairs.]

      [Turn 0: Ambush]

         [Thig invisible flies up the stairs he rounds the corner
          and takes up a position for firing next phase.  The
          ceiling is high here some 8 feet so as to help the
          catapults.]

         [Farseeker is the quickest as usual and heads up the
          stairs first.  He charges Sentry #5 surprising him.
          He thrusts at the back of the guard and the blade
          impales his ribs doing 8 points of damage. The guard
          falls forward and to the dead.]

         [Trembyl runs up the stairs next with his Arbalest
          in hand.  He looks left and right then turns right
          toward the west.  He looks that way to ensure no one
          escapes down the line ready to fire next phase.]

         [Ben'dar having peered up the stairs at a guard who
          seems slightly more ranked due to his position walking
          behind the others figures him to be an officer.  He
          charges up the stairs with his pike at the leader but
          doesn't get there yet (few feet to go).

         [Unali charges up the stairs to the sentry #6 on the
          far east side of the hallway.  With both daggers
          swinging the first hits and knocks the guard out
          before the second dagger also hits.  The guard slumps
          down knocked out before he knew what hit him.]

         [Balrog runs up the stairs and turns right.]

         [Z'leyra charges up the stairs after Ben'dar. He
          charges the middle guard in front of her and
          uses a backstab just as the guard tilts his body
          to see what's going on.  She hits but does only 3
          points of damage.]

         [Chion charges now up the stairs.  He comes along
          side and helps Z'leyra against the guard.  Unfournately
          his hit was wild and he misses.]

         [Kasha heads up the stairs.  he sees Unali take out
          one guard and no one else in the area so he turns
          right.]

         [Strie'bog charges up the main stairs and turns
          right.  He like Trembyl looks for possible guards
          that might try to escape to fire on with his bow.]

         [Guard #2 [C14] turns and grabs his spear.]

         [Guard #3 being attacked by Chion and Z'leyra turns
          around.  He unclips his mace from his belt and
          swings it at Z'leyra and hits her in the right
          arm doing 3 points of damage to her as it slices the
          arm near the shoulder.]

         [Xian charges up the stairs and joins near Balrog.
          He readies his arbalest as well for fire.]

         [The leader drops his lance onto the ground and
          grabs his spear.  He charges Ben'dar but fails
          to hit him (Ben'dar's magical pike helping).]

        [End of this phase]
           1         2         3         4         5         6
  123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
            | Room? | 1        2        3       4      5     |
 |______=___|_______|_=______|~~~|______=_______=_______=____|
A|                  XR       S         M      T       K      |
B|                          GBCZ                F            |
C| * G   *     G   *    *      G       *    *  D      * Ug * |
  -/-----/---------/----/--------------/----/---------/----/-|

    D=Dead Guard [C46]         g=Unconscious Guard [C56]
    T=Thig [Invisible]         F=Farseeker        M=Trembyl
    B=Ben'dar                  U=Unali            R=Balrog
    Z=Z'leyra                  C=Chion            K=Kasha
    S=Strie'bog                X=Xian             G=Leader [B27]
    G=#1 [C4]                  G=#2 [C14]         G\#3 [C30]

      [Turn 1: Phase 1]

         [Strie'bog allocates mana for a Fire Arrow.]

         [Thig has no aim due to bodies around the main
          stairs.]

        [[Strie'bog aims at Guard #2 some 120 feet away with
         his longbow.  He fires and the arrow flies past the
         leader and Ben'dar and hits the guard.  On impact it
         sparks to fire.  The arrow does 5 damage and the fire
         spell does 4 more doing 9-1=8 points.  The arrow hits
         the guard in the right shoulder.  His tunic catches on
         fire.  While the damage itself only knocks him out the
         fire damage by the end of the combat will kill the guard.]

        [Trembyl has no shot now.]

        [Xian aims at Guard #1 at 160 odd feet away with his
         Arbalest and fires.  The quarrel flies but fails to
         hit as it hits the wall aside the guard at long range.]

        [Thig flies westward.]
        [Farseeker heads westward.]
        [Trembyl heads westward.]

        [Ben'dar swings at the leader but misses entirely.]

        [Unali heads westward.]
        [Balrog heads westward.]

        [Z'leyra swings her dagger at the guard in front of her
         and misses.]

        [Chion swings his Sai at the same guard as Z'leyra but
         also seems to miss.]

        [Strie'bog heads westward seeing Ben'dar, Chion and
         Z'leyra handling these guards.]

        [Guard #3 swings on Z'leyra with mace but misses.]

        [Guard #1 as feared heads for the stairs in the north.]

        [Xian gently drops his Arbalest and runs westward.]

        [The officer thrusts at Ben'dar with his spear but misses.]

        [End of this phase]
           1         2         3         4         5         6
  123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
            | Room? | 1        2        3       4      5     |
 |______=___|_______|_=______|~~~|______=_______=_______=____|
A|    G          X        S        M      T        K         |
B|                R         GBCZ             F        U      |
C| *     *     D   *    *      G       *    *  D      *  g * |
  -/-----/---------/----/--------------/----/---------/----/-|

    D=Dead Guard [C46]         g=Unconscious Guard [C56]
    T=Thig [Invisible]         F=Farseeker        M=Trembyl
    B=Ben'dar                  U=Unali            R=Balrog
    Z=Z'leyra                  C=Chion            K=Kasha
    S=Strie'bog                X=Xian             G=Leader [B27]
    G=#1 [C4]                  G\#3 [C30]

      [Turn 1: Phase 2]

         [Thig curses as the guard near the stairs is over 360
          feet away.  Way out of range...]

         [Trembyl has no shot.]

         [Strie'bog aims at the fleeing guard.  At a range of
          200 it looks like he'll have to fire between Xian
          and Balrog.  But xian is hugging the wall and Balrog
          is on the outside giving a span of 8 feet between them.
          He fires and unfournately misses the guard.]

         [Thig continues flying Westward.]
         [Farseeker and Trembyl move Westward.]

         [Ben'dar swings his pike at the leader and this time hits
          the leader's right arm severing it just above the elbow
          doing 20 points of damage (almost 3x what the guard can
          take).  The man falls to the ground dead as his arm goes
          flying some distance away.]

         [Unali and Balrog head westward.]

         [Z'leyra swings her dagger at the guard #3 again and
          fails to hit.]

         [Chion thrusts his dagger at Guard #3 and hits him in
          the upper left chest doing 13 points of damage.  This
          damage takes the guard out.]

         [Kasha, Strie'bog and Xian move westward.]

         [Guard #1 flees the area and heads down the stairs.]

        [End of this phase]
           1         2         3         4         5         6
  123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
        G   | Room? | 1        2        3       4      5     |
 |______=___|_______|_=______|~~~|______=_______=_______=____|
A|            X        S        M     T         K            |
B|             R            DBCZ          F        U         |
C| *     *     D   *    *      D       *    *  D      *  g * |
  -/-----/---------/----/--------------/----/---------/----/-|

    D=Dead Guard [C46]         g=Unconscious Guard [C56]
    T=Thig [Invisible]         F=Farseeker        M=Trembyl
    B=Ben'dar                  U=Unali            R=Balrog
    Z=Z'leyra                  C=Chion            K=Kasha
    S=Strie'bog                X=Xian
    G=#1 [C4]

      [Turn 1: Phase 3]

         [Thig, Farseker, Trembyl move westward.]

         [Ben'dar looks around and sees non elese.  He wonders
          why Balrog and Xian though are heading in that direction?]

         [Unali and Balrog head westward.]

         [Z'leyra inspects her minor wound and puts pressure on it.]

         [Chion looks around for more targets but sees none.  He
          then gets peeked interest in the small catapults.]

         [Kasha, Strie'bog and Xian head westward.]

        [End of this phase]
           1         2         3         4         5         6
  123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
            | Room? | 1        2        3       4      5     |
 |______=___|_______|_=______|~~~|______=_______=_______=____|
A|         X        S        M    T          K               |
B|          B               DBCZ       F        U            |
C| *     *     D   *    *      D       *    *  D      *  g * |
  -/-----/---------/----/--------------/----/---------/----/-|

    D=Dead Guard [C46]         g=Unconscious Guard [C56]
    T=Thig [Invisible]         F=Farseeker        M=Trembyl
    B=Ben'dar                  U=Unali            R=Balrog
    Z=Z'leyra                  C=Chion            K=Kasha
    S=Strie'bog                X=Xian
    G=#1 [Off Map]

      [Turn 1: Phase 4]

         [Thig, Farseker, Trembyl move westward.]

         [Ben'dar notices the nearby catapult as well.  his
          training of sorts on the ship somewhat taught him
          how to use these things.  He inspects it for curiosity.]

         [Unali and Balrog heads westward.]

         [Z'leyra looks around to ensure no one else is hurt.]

         [Chion, Kasha and Strie'bog move westward.]

         [Xian moves westward.  He sees the guard running down
          the hallway now about 40 feet away.  Darn he dropped
          his arbalest!]

        [End of this phase]
           1         2         3         4         5         6
  123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
            | Room? | 1        2        3       4      5     |
 |______=___|_______|_=______|~~~|______=_______=_______=____|
A|      X        S        M   T           K                  |
B|       R                 CD  Z    F        U               |
C| *     *     D   *    * B    D       *    *  D      *  g * |
  -/-----/---------/----/--------------/----/---------/----/-|

    D=Dead Guard [C46]         g=Unconscious Guard [C56]
    T=Thig [Invisible]         F=Farseeker        M=Trembyl
    B=Ben'dar                  U=Unali            R=Balrog
    Z=Z'leyra                  C=Chion            K=Kasha
    S=Strie'bog                X=Xian
    G=#1 [Off Map]

      [Turn 2: Phase 1]

         [Xian allocates mana for a spell.]

         [Xian says the words and teleports to a distance in front
          of the fleeing guard.  He smiles and holds his War staff.
          Course he hopes theres no one behind him.]

         [Thig, Farseeker, Trembyl, Ben'dar, Unali heads westward.]

         [Balrog heads toward the stairs and down them.  He sees
          Xian ahead and sees the fleeing guard is trapped.]

         [Chion, Kasha and Strie'bog move westward.]

         [Before the guard can yell an alarm Xian charges the
          fleeing guard with his staff.  He swings his staff
          and hits but only does 2 points of damage to his chest.]

         [The guard Xian just attacked swings his mace at Xian.
          the weapon hits Xian's upper right chest near  the
          heart and does massive damage of 8 points.  Xian staggers
          back from the pain.]

        [End of this phase]
           1         2         3         4         5         6
  123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
        R   | Room? | 1        2        3       4      5     |
 |______=___|_______|_=______|~~~|______=_______=_______=____|
A|            S        M  T            K                     |
B|                     CB   D  Z F        U                  |
C| *     *     D   *    *      D       *    *  D      *  g * |
  -/-----/---------/----/--------------/----/---------/----/-|

    D=Dead Guard [C46]         g=Unconscious Guard [C56]
    T=Thig [Invisible]         F=Farseeker        M=Trembyl
    B=Ben'dar                  U=Unali            R=Balrog
    Z=Z'leyra                  C=Chion            K=Kasha
    S=Strie'bog                X=Xian
    G=#1 [Off Map]

      [Turn 2: Phase 2]

         [Balrog now 40 feet from the guard near Xian sees him
          catching his breath likely about to speak.  he has
          no choice but to try the move.  He knows he will
          likely fail (only 15% chance).  He picks a dagger
          from his belt and throws it right at the guard.  The
          dagger goes flying toward the guard and hits!  Not
          only that but does 13 points of damage!  The dagger
          hits the guard in the side of the chest penetrating
          the ribs and puncturing the lungs. The guard coughs
          up blood and falls to the ground.]

         [As Balrog smiles satisfied with himself stands suddenly
          around the corner to his right around the rock wall
          partition comes another guard..  The guard sees Balrog
          before Balrog sees the guard.  The guard eyes Balrog
          and doesn't recognize him.  He speaks a word Balrog
          doesn't understand but by the tone sounds like a Halt
          command.  Balrog turns.]

        [Going into non phasal movement combat now.]

        [Suddenly behind Kasha and Unali a Guard slowly walks
         up the stairs he is surprised to see the dead guard
         at C46.  He pulls his spear up to him and looks around.
         Then he sees the others moving westward.]

        ]the guard near Balrog walks up and threatens him. Balrog
         just rolls his eyes.  Pretends to turn around to face
         the wall in surrender then charges with his short sword.
         the Guard saw the action and blocks the move and Balrog
         doesn't see it.]

        [Xian grabs his chest and tries to stop the bleeding.]

        [The guard that entered the area now decides to back
         down the stairs.  he sees another guard on patrol
         and waves him over. It happens to be the guard on
         patrol which saw Trembyl take out the guard with spear
         a few minutes ago.]

        [The guard near Balrog thrusts his spear and hits doing
         4 points of damage to Balrog.]

        [Balrog swings his sword but fails to hit.]

        [Strie'bog heads down the stairs and sees Xian and Balrog.
         But he goes to help Balrog.  He swings his Axe and
         fails to hit.]

        [By now the rest of the party is coming westward to
         see what's going on.]

        [Balrog swings at the guard but misses.]

        [Strie'bog swings his axe at the same guard and hits
         doing 7 points of damage.  The guard still stands though.]

        [The guard swings on Balrog but fails to hit.]

        [Balrog hits the guard finally and finishes off the guard
         who falls dead.]

        [Thig, Trembyl, Ben'dar and Chion are the first down the
         stairs to look at the results.]

        [It takes another 15 seconds for Z'leyra and Farseeker to do so.]

        Farseeker: "We should secure the place.  Watch for other
          patrols."

        [Z'leyra goes to help Xian and patches him up and then casts
         a healing spell on him.  He will then do the same thing
         for Balrog but not magically heal him as it would be his
         2nd time in just minutes.]

        [By now the other 2 guards on patrol know the enemy is
         there.  But instead of going to get reinforcements
         they decide to trap the party.  In doing so they find
         another 3rd guard on patrol and heave them join him.  They
         wind through passages ways westward to meet the party.]

        [Little over a minute and 10 seconds later they round the
         corner.  Another battle takes place....]

        GM: This is part 1 of 2.  I figure this is long enough
        now and will separate.

        Stay tuned for part 2!

        This is an example of what I mean by Express Gaming.  This
        update would've taken about 4-5 updates if I had done
        it the other way asking actions and directions.  I hope
        you understand the process now.