[pnpgm] Game update #136 - File #510 - Claw is inspected

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Nov 24 06:30:53 CET 2006

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.
     http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem

     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #136 in sequence (file #510)

     Admin notes:  Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! (in the US).

         From Chion: [Re: Actions]
           Chion does want the ruby necklace. He will allow Z'Leyra to
           enhance it if she wants the XP for the casting (and her MEL
           is higher anyway).

           Regarding the ring: Chion definately wants it (and does it
           also contain the abilities of a sapphire?! (hope so)).

           Chion might also want the spare wand (Mel 10 el4 no powers)
           for casting's sake.

           Chion will politely as Z'Leyra, "I would like to have the
           necklace enhanced. If you would do me that favor I would be
           honored, friend."

         From Unali: [Re: Actions]
           Unali will use the days in camp to train scimitar skill.

           Unali is definitely interested in Ezam's Ring after she
           finds out what it does. "That ring would be very helpful
           for me to give me better coordination in ... fighting and
           will take me further than training alone could do. I would
           like to take it as my share of the treasure."

           Of the other treasure, she will see if she can obtain two
           skins III, so she can fill a skin with water and one with
           the fine wine. She will also replenish her travel rations
           and take some of the rope, so she has 100'of climbing rope
           in total.

           Happy thanksgiving.
         GM:  Ack.  Thanks.  How much rope?  There is 150' feet of it.

           [Chion puts his claims on the ruby necklace, wand and
            sapphire ring.]

           GM: When I generated the Ring I didn't do the enhanced
             form of the sapphire.  So the basic attribute effect
             is done before hand.  I had generated the treasure for
             Ezam using the Random Treasure program from the website.
             So I should've looked at it further.  Thanks to Chion
             for bringing this up.  To be fair I'll present the
             enhanced info below:

             Sapphire Gem
             In enhanced form:
             A) Unshakable Courage
             B) EL6 immunity to Terror, Hatred And Anger spells.
                The wearer can not fear, hate or get angry for any reason.
             C) Automatically aware of disloyal folks that travel with
                him or work for him.
             D) Automatically open any lock that the stone touches
                and the wearer knows exists.
             E) Dex+15 Agil+15

             So once enhanced the boost would be Dex +29.  However,
          it already has a +14.  So yes.  This would be a Dex+29
          which is pretty big boost.  So Chion still want the ring?
          With the above info anyone else want to put a claim on it?

          [Unali spends the days with her magical scimitar she got back
           in Clima.  She doesn't know the skill so is rusty.  But
           Trembyl helps her to learn it to get a starting point in it.
           This is done in relative seclusion behind the lodge since
           this is the only time Unali seems awkward using a weapon
           since she doesn't know how to use it yet.]

          [Unali inspects the treasure.  She eyes the Ring Ezam had.
           She hears the information on it by Thig.]

          Unali: "That ring would be very helpful for me to give me
            better coordination in ... fighting and will take me further
            than training alone could do. I would like to take it as my
            share of the treasure."

          [Unali takes some rations, rope and 2 skin III and 5 quarts
           of fine wine for her share.]

                                ---------------------

          GM: Our first Treasure Conflict.

              At this point Chion and Unali wants the Magic Ring.
          The Dex Boost is their target clearly.  Both could use it.
          However Chion has claims of the Wand and Ruby Necklace
          which will be magical and enhanced.  The Ruby necklace is
          pretty expensive as it is.  I won't decide who gets it.
          Its up to you guys to dicker.  But here is what Xian
          would say :)

          Xian: "Unali could clearly use the ring far better with her
            dagger skill.  It would make her an even deadlier and
            swifter fighter.  Chion is rather...large...helping his
            dex would help him as well but there is only so much
            a body frame like his could benefit from such a boost."

          GM: So Unali, Chion you can dicker.  I'm trying not to show
              bias here (well as best I can :)).  As a player I'd
              definitely know who could use it better.  As a GM though
              I rather have you guys deal with it.

          [Z'leyra spends the days working with Caladan on Plains
           Survival.  A lot of this time is outside the village
           identifying plants and animals. She has to learn all the
           basics as she doesn't know anything of the skill at this point.]

          [Ben'dar considers the party treasure.  He knows running
           a ranch is a financial mess.  He spends a few days thinking
           of this and finally decides that the 3 silver bars (worth
           1920 silver) he got from the Graverobber combat when the
           shaman escaped should go to party share.  By rights as with
           the weapons Chion first stole from the fort it can go to
           him.  But he is generous enough to add it to party treasure
           to add 1,920 silver to the final fund.  This makes 6 silver
           bars the party has to sell worth almost 400 gold!  Ben'dar
           also decides to return the fur cape to treasure as its too
           fancy for him.]

          GM: Wow.  Chion and you are generous.  That 200 (almost gold)
            could've done wonders for your ranch Ben'dar.  But this
            shows a good side of you!

          [Balrog's strength seems to have increased in the last 2
           months.  His muscles have increased.  During the 6 days
           Balrog spends time training in Short Sword.  By day 63
           he is fully healed physically.]

          [Caladan's muscle mass also seems to increase slightly.  He
           also seems to have gotten wiser the last few weeks.  He
           also seems to become a better combat fighter.  He spends
           time training in his Bow Skill.  He is fully healed by day 63.]

          [Kasha seems to be more dexterous in the last few weeks.
           He learns husbandry more with the help of the warriors on
           the plains horses.]

          [Farseeker trains with the warriors of the village in heavy
           lance skill.  He also realizes his chainmail is damaged so
           places his old chainmail to be sold and takes a good suit
           for himself.  By day 66 he is fully healed.]

          [Xian seems smarter and even his eyebrows seem thicker over
           the last few weeks?  He is fully healed by day 61 and has
           full mana by day 63.]

          [Trembyl trains with other warriors in Hand to Hand skill.
           He is healed by day 61.  However he is only about 90%
           mana regenerated by day 66.]

          [Thig is healed by day 64.  He tries to learn sword skill
           from Balrog but looks like a kid learning to use a stick.]

          [Ben'dar's muscle tone also improves over the last few weeks.
           He also seems to have more stamina, more agile and even
           better dexterity in the last few weeks.  This is noticed
           since the time in Clima.  Good warriors can detect the slight
           improvement in such attributes. He is fully healed by day 61.]

          [Unali's muscles also seem to improve and get bigger over the
           last few weeks.  She practices her scimitar skill to learn
           it.  She is fully healed by day 61.]

          GM:  No one has argued against giving Jordi and Caladan
            a fair share of the treasure.  So at this point I'll
            consider it done.

          GM: Character Sheets -

            I've started work on them.  So far got answers to emails
            from everyone but Strie'bog on Characteristic Points.
            I've done all sheets but:
              Unali, Chion, Strie'bog, Z'leyra.
            It will be in that order.  Z'leyra is the biggest sheet
            to deal with and should take 3-5 days at the least.
            Hopefully by Monday's update Unali and Strie'bog should
            be done and emailed.

          GM: The plan to give the village some of the treasure seems
            ok as I've gotten yes votes from 3 folks and no arguments
            against.  So will go now and remove those items from
            the treasure list.

          [Day 64 the party gather for another lunch.  this time
           the party has something to present the village.]

          Xian: "I speak for everyone here when I say we are honored
            to be your guests.  Caladan is a good friend and your
            hospitality is excellent.  Even Cetric's." [At that
            half the village and half the party laugh] "We wish to
            give you some of our treasure.  Some we simply have no
            need more so than you will this long winter.  From
            the animals the cow, draft horse, goat and mules will
            help you in various duties.  We wish to give you ten
            of the good riding horses.  Ben'dar has assured the
            riding horses are steppe pony quality good for the plains.
            We feel the attack on the Bova was in part won with your
            help and aid.  So it would be unfair of us to take all
            of the horses and other material.  We have seen that
            clothing is in need.  So we will give you 20 uniforms,
            10 tunics and 10 boots all for winter clothing needs so
            you can make patches for your other clothing.  The boots
            will help those who need shoes.  We feel 30 blankets will
            be helpful in the long winter as well though Caladan
            assures me your horses are used to the cold.   We wish
            to also give you some maces and arrows to replace those
            you lost in the battle.  We hope this is acceptable to
            you Ga'sha."

          [Gib'borah stands silent and looks to the party then nods.]

          Gib'borah: "Yes.  We do not expect anything as Caladan
            has said you are a generous people.  We will welcome
            every thing you give us with joy.  We could use those
            horses especially.  Thank you for this gift."

           GM: The food (meat, etc.) and beverages will likely be
             eaten in the process of the 6 days in camp.  The
             above items are removed off the master treasure list.

           GM: I sorta let you guys know of the plans for the next
             adventure awhile back.  The loot will go south to
             Marentia and party go north.  So if you want let me know
             ahead of time what you want taken back to Marentia.
             From your personal loot and such.  That way we can be
             ahead of things.  Once the adventure starts I will sell
             everything and add the totals to each person's sheet
             after letting you know the results in an update.

           [On Day 64 Cetric approaches the party at lunch.]

           Cetric: "The lodge is a place lodge warriors can sit and
             entertain themselves.  Caladan tells me they are like
             clubs or guilds in your society.  Not everyone normally
             is allowed in the lodge.  There are certain times of
             the years during celebrations when they are open to
             everyone old and young.  During this time many take
             in the Vision Quest rituals.  Some are done in groups
             though with less success.  Families tend to do that
             to learn something personal to that clan.  But by far
             most take a personal vision quest.  This is done with
             certain herbs, wood and plants.  Some use smoke pipes
             to enhance the ritual but isn't required.  A person who
             sits in the lodge alone during this time has a great
             fire roaring in the pit.  The wall curtains are down
             for privacy.  The smoke inside may build up but it is
             safe as there is an exit in the roof for it.  The smoke
             that does remain may change color from green, red to
             yellow.  We believe the spirits work through this smoke
             to give the person who is in deep concentration and who
             trusts the spirits visions.  I have discussed this with
             Caladan and Gib'borah.  We wish to offer each of you such
             a vision quest.  Majority of people do not see anything
             aside from coughing.  Many don't believe in the spirits
             so they don't come to that person.  Many think the ritual
             a joke.  But in fact it is a strong ritual.  If you recall
             in such a ritual I saw invaders on the plains.  I thought
             you were those invaders.  The images I saw did not match
             you but the timing was critical.  I now know the ritual
             was telling me something else."

           Xian: "Excuse me.  This vision one sees is the past, present
             or future?  Does it always come true?"

           Cetric: "It can be the past, present and even the future
             yes.  Most however by far the majority of visions are
             in the present.  Most want a simple answer to a problem
             or help from the spirits like in an illness.  The spirits
             will help that person by giving them a vision they must
             study to understand.  My vision could've been the past
             but somehow I doubt it.  I was asking the spirits for
             help on our current problems.  As to if they come true
             that is hit and miss.  What one person believes to be
             truth is false to another.  For example a woman may see
             a vision of a white wolf when she is asking about a sick
             child.  The white wolf could be understood as a good omen
             for fertility or for her child.  While the others in
             the village may understand it to be simply a spirit guide
             is helping her along.  if the child dies or lives some
             feel the spirits did their thing by their will.  So which
             was the truth?  Hard to say.  In the end it comes down
             to one's understanding of his or her vision.  If you
             wish to participate we can set it up at your leisure.
             Please let us know."

           GM: Who wishes to try it out?  No obligation.

           [Z'leyra, Xian, Ben'dar and Strie'bog enter Gib'borah's
            tipi after he allows it on day 61.  Its time to learn more
            about the Claw.  Z'leyra places the claw in front of
            Strie'bog.   Z'leyra explains the spells she will cast
            while Strie'bog asks the gods about the claw.  The last
            time Z'leyra tried this she spoke in a strange guttural
            tongue.  Strie'bog explains he will likely be in his trance
            for 5 or more hours as he casts the spell.  With one hand
            on the staff and other hand on Claw Strie'bog casts his
            spell to question the gods.]

           [Strie'bog's mind calms down as he speaks the words and
            internalizes the question to the gods.  He asks to gain
            information on the claw.  Time seems to pass then
            soon a sound is heard in his mind like that of the wind.
            Voices are heard.  So far this is a typical sensation
            as the gods confer and coordinate.  Within a short time
            a single voice swirls in his mind as if shifting from
            place to place.  "No! No! No! Never ask! Forbidden! No."
            The voice then seems to fade as it repeats itself in
            the various words above.  As the voice fades to a whisper
            it seems to change to a guttural voice and fade all together.
            Strie'bog wakes up suddenly with some minor sweat on his
            brow and his hands sore from clenching the staff and claw.
            He blinks to regain his vision and tries to recall what
            the gods said.]

           [Strie'bog blinks and sees Xian standing near the flap.
            With a gasp of air he inhales deeply.  Xian turns around.]

           Xian: "Five hours?  More like 5 minutes.  That was quick.
             What did you learn?"

           Actions? Comments?

           Next update Monday...

           Ok.  So we need to resolve the ring conflict.  Finish
           Character sheets.  Email them.  Then will do visions for
           folks who wish to have them (if they have them).  Then
           next Friday we should be on schedule (12/1) to start
           Adventure #3.  BTW horses taken back to Marentia won't
           take away from personal horses your still using.  If
           wish to switch to new mount let me know.