[pnpgm] Game update #133a - File #498 - Castle Cleanup

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Nov 15 06:42:03 CET 2006

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.
     http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem

     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #133a in sequence (file #488)

     Admin notes:  None

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra is impressed at how much weight Chion can manage
          on each teleport.

          She suggests that the old man might be given horses and
          riding gear rather than coins. This would leave less to
          teleport.

          To Farseeker she mentions that she could make and enchant a
          greatsword for him if given use of a forge, fuel and ore for
          16 or more days. She wonders if any forges will likely be
          available. She is mildly surprised that the castle didn't
          appear to have a forge. If enough time is available she could
          fix her armor and make and enchant armor for others.

          Somehow I doubt we will have enough time.

          To Unali, Z'leyra responds "And I thank you for being true to
           yourself and being such a good example. The dagger is as yet
           unnamed, you may name it as you wish." She bows back.

           To Thig, "Any way to keep safe from those mana eating critters?"

           To Ben'Dar "When I have more mana I will again attempt to
           determine the magics of the Claw." She feels in her satchel.
           "In the meantime it is still safe."

           Z'leyra will look at all the weapons and armor, seeing if any
           are special. She will evaluate them and note their values. She
           will only be interested in unusual weapons or armor as she
           generally prefers to make her own.

           Z'leyra will pick up several sets of cards and dice to help
           visitors to her mansion pass the time. Any written materials
           not claimed by others she would like to have for her library.
           Any gems not claimed by others she would volunteer to make
           jewelry out of and to split the sale price amongst the party.
           She will evaluate the treasures. Whe she has the mana and the
           time she will use perception to check the magical items.

           The large, flawless, brilliant ruby will attract her attention.
           She will want to determine if it is magical or can be enhanced.
           If enhancable, she will volunteer to enhance it. She will not
           lay claim to it...any in the party would like it.
        GM: Ack.  Fixing your armor would take time and no forge around :<
          Several sets of cards/dice.  I guess that's 2 sets not 3?
          As to gems and written materials its a bit vague so unsure
          what you claim there.  Cards/Dice marked on your character sheet.
          As to the large ruby I mentioned that in previous updates I
          believe.

                        ---------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar listens to the discussions about Jef, the old man.  He
          ventures his opinion, "Coins are worthless to those on the
          plains.  Let us instead give him two good horses and enough
          equipment for him to safely return to his home.  Horses and
          equipment are worth more than coins here."

          Regarding the prisoners, Ben'Dar shrugs his indifference.  "Let
          them wander the hills - their fate is not our concern.  They
          are enemies of the People and they deserve nothing better than
          a painful death."

          To Z'leyra, Ben'Dar nods regarding the examination and
          safekeeping of the claw.  He says, "I will stay with you and
          help you remove items through the library wall if you wish.
          It will take Chion several days to move us and all the treasure
          out of the castle.  I will stay here and stand gaurd while you
          examine those scrolls and books.

          To Chion, Ben'Dar suggests, "Your magic is the best way to get
          all these spoils out of here.  I agree with you:  we should take
          everything of value, including the horses.  The horses will be
          needed to help carry all these things back to Marentia for sale.
          Take the party back to Caladan's village in small groups, with
          some treasure in each trip.  If it takes you several days, that
          is ok, I will stay here with Z'leyra while she examines the
          library.  When all the loot is back in Caladan's village, you
          can take Z'leyra and me back with the horses."
        GM:  Ack.

                                ----------------------

        From Unali: [Re: Actions]
          Unali has no interest in the three small jewels from Teed,
          as far as she is concerned the can be added to party treasure.

          Unali is fine with letting the old man go, give him some food
          and several horses instead of money. She thinks we should
          leave by teleport and leave the horses anyway, so the old man
          can take some and sell them or use them. Probably worth more
          than a few GC.

          Unali votes for destroying the castle and let the prisoners go
          to tell the story.
        GM: Ack.  Thanks.

                                ----------------------

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          Sorry I missed the votes, but Strie'bog would agree to
          setting prisoners free and destroying the castle.  As
          for treasure, he would like one of the jewels (for his
          mother), but that is a minor consideration.  He has little
          use for most of the treasure, save for the books.  As these
          are being taken, he would ask to read over them in the next
          few weeks before they are sold.  He is most interested in
          the histories and cultural books, though he would look over
          the more esoteric ones in hopes of finding information
          [last line deleted may be a personal secret :)]

          I am fine with the plan you suggested.

          All this while, he will also be working on composing a tale
          about what was done here in the castle, and listening to
          what people say about Ezam.
        GM: Ack.  Which jewel?  The treasure report is on the website.
          Do you claim some of the books then?  Many are not readable
          and need translating as no one knows how to read L'p'nth.
          Those in the report that are in Marentian and such if you
          know how to read those languages then you can read those.

        Octaqi 30, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile in Caladan's Village]
        [Day 60 of Trip]

        GM: Ok.  I don't have a majority consensus on some things.
          But since chion is pretty much controlling whether or
          not to teleport that's a big vote on his account.  So
          based on the actions public and private we'll move on.
          There will be no overland journey.  All teleport.

        [The prisoners are put into the cells once they are gathered
         from each floor.  This takes about 45 minutes to check
         all the bodies for dead and unconscious.  No one is borderline
         death so wounds are just patched up but not healed.  There is
         some discussion that Teed might want to be taken back to
         the plains for justice.  but it would be a quick death.  Teed
         may have been a thrall willingly or unwillingly so that justice
         might be wrong.  The party may have gotten to the point it
         raids a castle and slaughters enemy troops in their sleep.
         But to send someone who can't defend themselves is more wrong
         than taking the enemy numbers down.]

        [While the treasure is collected Jef is quietly but overtly
         watched by at least one person at all times.  While he is
         free to roam about the party still may not fully trust him.
         So watching him for that time is a test for him.  But during
         this time he helps the party gather loot.  At his age though
         he is stronger than most being a laborer but he can't lift
         that much endurance wise so helps in more limited ways.  All
         this time he seems to be friendly and forthcoming with any
         questions and comments.  By the time the loot is gathered
         the party seems to trust him and slowly let him do his own
         thing without a constant eye.  At one time he becomes
         sad at the thought of his friends and niece in the caravan.
         He doesn't know where they could be buried if they were.]

        [It takes 3.5 hours to gather up all the gear and another
         45 minutes to gather up bodies and prisoners.  So by 11:15am
         or so the party has all the gear in one place - the large
         ballroom as its empty and good for storage.  Boxes, kegs
         and crates are double stacked and triple stacked.  Even
         food items like crates of fruit is packed with items to
         make every bit of space efficient. By this time the party
         has worked up a hunger.]

        [The party heads toward the kitchen and messhall.  Z'leyra
         knowing how to cook heads to the kitchen with Kasha and
         Thig.  The rest head to the messhall.  Upon entering the
         kitchen they find Jef already working hard cooking a good
         lunch.  He has a good set of meat, fruits and hot bread
         along with soups ready or almost ready.  Z'leyra helps
         out with the cooking while Thig prepares some fruit dish
         just for himself.  In the next hour the party eats their
         hearty lunch and are happy.  Unsure if its poisoned Xian
         and Thig do detect spells on the food to check for poisons
         and seem to find nothing.  Jef seems honest.  The party
         discusses the plans for evacuation while the group eats.]

        [Chion explains with pride his great skill in teleport and
         how much he can carry.  But by now that's clearly not much
         of a secret as he has teleported 11 of the party here and
         figuring that to be over a ton of weight.  Z'leyra is
         impressed with his power.]

        [Z'leyra talks to Farseeker about his great sword.]

        Farseeker: "Its only a few minor nicks.  It can still do the
          job well.  As to magical swords you must understand that
          a warrior shows his skill and ability by himself not with
          enhancements.  If I were to return to my fellow comrades
          in the military with some magical sword they'd laugh and
          my reputation would decline.  The best warriors never depend
          on magic unless EVERYONE there depends on magic.  Duke Rohm
          in the north east duchy Haut of Marentia has some knights
          that do have magical armor and weapons.  But their infantry
          doesn't respect them.  So while I'm honored by the offer
          I'm afraid I'll have to decline.  I may have died...what..
          almost..4 times in the last 5 months?  But I would have done
          it without help from the gods."

        Kasha: "Yes.  Warriors are like that in many lands.  Some
          are superstitious.  I use a magical mace to help me and
          I'm don't care about what others think.  Being a mercenary
          I know life can be short." [He grins and Farseeker nods.]

        Z'leyra to Unali: "And I thank you for being true to yourself
           and being such a good example. The dagger is as yet
           unnamed, you may name it as you wish." [She bows back.]

        Balrog: "Nice dagger for a nice woman.  In her capable hands
           she will use it wisely."

        Z'leyra To Thig: "Any way to keep safe from those mana eating
           critters?"

        [Thig considers the question as he eats a pear.]

        Thig: "I'm no expert on them.  I just don't know enough about
            them to say theres a sure way.   Just avoid them where
            they live in the upper world.  This creature must've bee
            stalking us since we entered the third floor with those
            rat like noises we heard. If they eat magic I suppose
            a protection item might be worth it.  But if they eat it
            they'd just eat it.  So not sure if there is a magical
            defense.  I suppose something like a spell to hit them
            would just make them even stronger.  I just don't have
            enough information.  Sorry."

        Z'leyra To Ben'Dar "When I have more mana I will again attempt to
           determine the magics of the Claw." [She feels in her satchel.]
           "In the meantime it is still safe."

        Balrog: "You had it all this time?" [A bit of anger comes to his
          face and words.] "I thought Ben'dar" [He points a finger at
          Ben'dar] "Was holding it.  That was not wise!  If the healer
          had died in the ambsuh we could've been up a fire tube without
          rope! Ben'dar could've handled himself with it.  Do you think
          its dangerous enough he shouldn't have it?  If so maybe we
          DO need to destroy it.  The ambush Ezam setup was clever and
          could've cost us all because of that stupid claw!"

        [Kasha leans to Thig]
        Kasha: "Fire tube wi-?"

        Balrog: "Shut up!  This is serious.  Its something my mom
          used to say.  Anyways Ezam seemed to have suspected that
          likely Chion would bring it back or suspected that.  Maybe
          the statue thing let him know who had it while he was talking
          to us.  If you didn't have escaped with your magic which was
          risky as it was then you could've been dead and claw taken.
          So what Ben'dar will you do with the claw?  Take it yourself
          or have her guard it for you?" [He glares at Ben'dar but more
          in desperation rather than hate.  Its clear he was upset by
          the ambush since he himself almost died.  Everyone around
          the table seems to understand this but the words ring true
          as the claw will have to be decided.]

        Xian: "There will be time for this later.  Let's enjoy the
          meal Jef cooked for us.  Today we have done a good thing.
          Even though we did it deep in enemy territory we did it
          for Marentia in the long run and the plains."

        [Once back in the ballroom...]

        [Z'leyra scans the weapons and armor but theres so many pieces
         of it that it would take hours or days to evaluate it all.
         Thig has reported on the magical items and no weapons and armor
         are magical.]

        [When discussion is turned to the prisoners.  Ben'dar speaks up.]

        Ben'Dar: [shrugs his indifference.]  "Let them wander the hills -
          their fate is not our concern.  They are enemies of the People
          and they deserve nothing better than a painful death."

        Kasha: "Remind me not to cross you." [He grins]

        [When discussion is turned to plans.]

        Ben'dar To Chion:, "Your magic is the best way to get
          all these spoils out of here.  I agree with you:  we should take
          everything of value, including the horses.  The horses will be
          needed to help carry all these things back to Marentia for sale.
          Take the party back to Caladan's village in small groups, with
          some treasure in each trip.  If it takes you several days, that
          is ok, I will stay here with Z'leyra while she examines the
          library.  When all the loot is back in Caladan's village, you
          can take Z'leyra and me back with the horses."

        Chion: "We will take as much as we can. I will remain behind to
           gather the last bits up. We can destroy as much as we can that
           is not loot. We can house the prisoners in the jail cells and
           thus not need as much watching. I should be able to do this by
           my self while the rest of you are gone. I can feed them and
           then let them go before I teleport out with the last of the
           loot. I'm not overly worried about being found out. The
           prisoners and A'gar made it clear they rarely get visitors.
           So I do not expect any visitors. I am also pretty adept at
           watchful sleep now and can cast it to avoid ambush. I think
           I will be fine for that last little bit of time I spend
           here. It will take me a few days to get everything I want
           out of here."

        Balrog: "Man if I only had your ability I could steal something
          in Donara and be home in Sivas city in an hour.  Could have
          I mean." [He grins] "You could make some money with that
          ability even as a simple messenger."

        Farseeker: "Yes.  If a war breaks out you could do wonders
          with intelligence and scouting information.  I must say
          Chion.  I didn't respect you or trust you when you joined
          our motley team.  But after seeing you with Cetric and
          the ...self control...and then with Ezam's temptations and
          his death.  I must say first impressions are often wrong.
          I may not be as empathic as Jordi but I guess I felt wrong
          about you and I'm sorry.  I trust you with my life just
          as much as I would with Xian.  Course you might be able
          to save my life better." [He grins and winks at Xian in jest.]

        Kasha: "This booty will indeed help out if we need to
          provision for future quests.  But with winter it will
          help keep us warm at night knowing we don't have to
          worry about income for some time."

        Thig: "I'm more interested in the books myself.  We will
          need to have Kaylle likely look into translating the
          bulk of them."

        Trembyl: "Noticed how its only these evil magic casters on
          Clima and here that known the shield spell?  Maybe we
          can't learn it.  But maybe those scrolls will help
          tell that story."

        Xian: "I know Jordi hasn't been here to help us but I think
          he and Caladan should get a equal share.  I hope this
          is acceptable.  Jordi

        Kasha: "Chion has done nicely this trip with all the other
          weapons and armor he got last time he was here."

        [Re: Those old items]
        Chion: "Well, now that I know the items will not be returned I
          am willing to share their value with the rest of you, friends.
          Perhaps we can find buyers for all this without the king of
          Marentia laying claim to half of it. (He eyes Farseeker?). In
          any event, we should profit from this nicely."

        Farseeker: "Ahh.  The king would love these weapons and armor
          for his military.  Technically being a officer of the army
          I would be obligated to report such loot.  However as its
          in L'p'nth I'm not obligated as long as I know it doesn't
          enter Marentia." [He winks] "I couldn't get much out of
          selling this stuff.  I'd ask Balrog."

        Balrog: "I know a few folks that can help.  Some even legit.
          But they'd take a percentage off the top for themselves.
          If your willing to deal with that."

        Farseeker: "Problem is selling these weapons and those back
          in Caladan's village.  Any legit shop keeper would ask
          questions we might have to answer.  That would bring
          the attention of the local authorities."

        Kasha: "I can help.  I have a contact who lives in Maren city but
          has an organization in Sivas city.  Its how I got to learn
          my money skills.  He could sell the stuff for us without
          question.  Being a friend I could convince him to take just
          a little off the top."

        Balrog: "My contacts would charge 10-30% off the top depending
          on their greed."

        Kasha: 'I can beat that then.  I've sold him maybe 2 dozen
          weapons at a time from jobs.  He only charged about 3% off
          the top."

        Farseeker: "Didn't the king take something like 30%?  So that
          would 3% is far better."

        [Chion turns to Jef]

        Chion To Jef: "I mean to have you as a contact for goods to
           sell. You don't have to be the buyer, but I will grant you
           a commission on whatever I sell. We will furnish you a horse,
           short sword and food to get home. You will ask your wife if
           it is alright to deal with me in matters of protection for
           your people. I will come visit you when I can and get her
           answer."

        Jef: "That is fine with me.  However you would profit better
          with selling in the big city.  I'm just a simple towns person.
          I usually work to survive and that's it.  You are clearly
          a city person and would profit better there.  But I would
          be honored to be a contact as you say."

        [No one has a map of the mountains in this area not even among
         the maps found.  So Jef gives a rough layout of his location
         in a small valley.  He tries to give as much detail on landmarks
         in the area.  He explains its at least 2-3 days ride by horse
         from here.  He gives the directions as best he can.  Thig helps
         and makes notes on this for Chion to have later.  With Chion
         translating for Thig via a communicate spell.  It is rough
         directions but if Chion can get without 10 miles he might be
         able to find the place with trial and error.  Jef explains his
         village only has about 60-70 people at any one time in it.]

        [Z'leyra suggests to the party giving Jef horses rather than
         coins.]

        Ben'Dar [listens to the discussions about Jef, the old man.  He
          ventures his opinion,] "Coins are worthless to those on the
          plains.  Let us instead give him two good horses and enough
          equipment for him to safely return to his home.  Horses and
          equipment are worth more than coins here."

        Xian: "He is L'p'nth and from the mountains here not the plains
          to the north.  So coins are still worth some.  but two horses
          are quite a bonus for him."

        GM: Since no one has posted disagreement will assume this is ok.

        [The party will give him 2 horses and gear for them.  Blankets,
         food and a short sword to defense himself.  He takes a sling
         as well as he says he can use one well.  He is happy with
         what he is given and humble.]
        GM: Gear removed off treasure list.

        Kasha: "Ben'dar did you see any markings on the horses? Like
          brands?"

        [Ben'dar explains no.]

        Kasha: "Good.  I was just thinking if we give the horses to
          Jef it could be tracked down as stolen and he be killed.
          If unmarked then its safer for him."

      This is only Part 1 of 2 updates.  This was big enough
      getting to reply to the posts and actions.  Part 2 will
      be the destruction and move.  I will release this one now
      and hope to finish part 2 soon.  You can wait till part 2
      to reply if you wish.  Hopefully out by Wednesday night.