[pnpgm] Strie'bog's test

Robert A. Maxwell rmax at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 9 20:42:50 CEST 2005

OOC:  I've been sick, so I have not had a chance to post.  So, I am going to go back to the story for a moment, and then give his actions once the smoke starts.

The Story he tells at the start of the test:
He will speak slowly to be better understood (though he will tell the story with appropriate drama).

"Among the Vassa, there is a story told of a wicked man and wife.  The Vassa live in harmony with a Great Northern forest, ruled over by a kind lady of beauty and grace.  She allows the Vassa to use the resources of the forest, and asks little in return save that they never abuse the forest or her generosity.  One day, it became known to the Vassa that this great lady was heavy with child, and they rejoiced in the gladness that a child can bring.  One family in particular was joyous, for over the years they had received much from the forest, and so the father of the family decided to send his eldest son with a gift for the great lady.  The father sent his axe, as a pledge that he would harm no living tree during this next year, only gather those branches which had fallen.  Now this is a special gift, for the Vassa live in a cold place, where wood is needed not only for shelter, but also warmth.  He hoped that the Great Lady would receive his gift warmly, and not for selfish gain, but just as a sign of his love for the forest."

"The son bore his father's gift toward the Great Forest, and on the way stopped at a homestead for a drink of water."
"'Ho!,' cried the boy.  'May I drink from you well, for I have farther to travel this day and have no water left.'"
"A man and woman came from the house, and the man said, 'Why do you travel so late in the season?'"
"'I travel with a great gift for the Great Lady of the Forest, to give to her Forestals that she may know our families love of her,' said the boy."
"The wife then whispered to her husband, 'we have given no gift, ask him what gift he gives.'"
"And so the man asked the boy, 'What gift do you take to the Great Lady,'"
"'My father's axe, as a vow that for a year he will harm no living tree,' said the boy."
"The wife again whispered to her husband, 'that is a goodly gift for the Great Lady, and if it were ours to give you would be bound by no oath as it is not your axe.  Ask the boy in that we may take this gift for our own.'"
"And so the man, whose heart was as black as his wifes, said to the boy, 'Come, instead of drinking at the well, enter my house and be welcome.  Let my wife fix you something to eat to celebrate your mission and the Great Lady.'"
"'Gladly will I accept your hospitality friend,' and so the boy entered the home and sat at the table.  The wife indeed fixed him something to eat, but to the stew she added herbs of horrible potency, plants which only heartless people use to strike unseen at a person's life.  The man toasted the Great Lady to distract the boy, and then encouraged him to eat.  When all was done, they tossed the boy's body outside and covered it with leaves.

"And so did the man and woman take the axe and proceed into the forest to give it as their gift.  Others had come to offer gifts, as tribute to their reverence for the forest and its people, and so the man and woman stood awaiting their turn, chests puffed out in false pride, for how can pride be true when it is based on a lie."

"Their turn came, and a Forestal stood before them ready to accept their gift, but when they began to hand it over, the wind whispered through the trees, 'traitors.'  All became quite as the Forestal took the axe and dropped it as if it burned.  The man and woman looked with fear, knowing that something was wrong.  The man made to run, but the trees themselves moved to block his path.  The woman screamed as the living grass gripped her feet.  'There is evil in your gift,' and for a moment he grew quite seeking the wisdom of the Lords of Life.  'How dare you betray the rituals of life with a gift of murder!  You are judged unworthy and unfit, and it shall be your ancestors that determine your punishment!  Take them.'  And from the woods came the servants of the Great Lady, who took the evil man and woman and bound them to the living trees."

A day passed as they whimpered and moaned, they cried for mercy, but none would take notice of them.  Then three Forestals came before them, and behind them stood the Great Lady, stunning in beauty, despite the rage in her eyes.  'You have dishonored one who loves this forest, you have dishonored my unborn child, and you have dishornored me!  Further, you have desecrated the sacred rites.  None can be tolerated for no mercy did you show when your greed and arrogance called you to slay an innocent.'  Around her began appearing the spirits of the man and woman's families, all those who had passed from this life.  'Your ancestors are shocked by your actions, as is my father, the Lord of Life.  Your judgement has been decreed for breaking the law of hospitality, for murder and for the desecration of the sacred rites of life.  You man shall go into the woods with the axe you have blackened with your breaking of hospitality and murder and fetch twigs and vines, not killing any plant, but taking only the minimum offered.  You woman will weave this into the figure of a man.  You have until the new moon.'  With that she left, and the Forestals watched to insure that the tasks were completed."

"At the coming of the new moon, the evil couple had completed their task, and there stood a wooden man the height of a giant.  The Great Lady and her court stood in a clearing, each dressed for the ritual of the new moon.  The man and woman stood by their work.  'Oh Great Lady,' said the woman, 'we have completed the task assigned.  May we now return home?'"

"The clearing became quite.  'Why do you still ask for mercy?' asked the Great Lady, now even more heavy with child.  'Murder is one thing, but you used this crime to falsely seek favor of the Court of Life.  You desecrated sacred life, a crime which has only one punishment.'  At this point, the forestals grabbed the man and woman and thrust them into the wooden man they had constructed, lashing it down so they could not escape.  'Only by cleansing fire and blood can this crime be purged!'"

"'Oh Lord of Life, look down upon this your holy rite, make right that which was wronged, make whole that which was ripped a sunder!' cried the great lady.  A bolt of lightning streaked from the clear heavens and struck the wooden man, igniting a fire within the dry tinder.  'Accept this sacrifice of treachery, cleanse those who sought to corrupt, and make whole that which was torn apart!'  Another stroke of lightning descending speeding the fire.  The screams of the man and woman were dwarfed by the roar of the fire.  'Cleanse the land of this blight, cleanse the people of this crime, let your favor once again be felt by those who are true to their word and yours!'  A third time did lightning strike the wooden man, the flames leaping as high as the tallest tree.  The people then began to chant and sing, songs of life, songs of remorse, songs for the dying, songs for the forgotten."

<Strie'bog sings a song of life in Tounge of the Woods>

"In the morning, the Great Lady escorted the family of the fallen boy to where the still hot embers of the wooden man rested.  'In this domain, it is mine to take life,' she paused, ' or give it as the Lord of Life commands.'  With a wave of her arm, she reached toward the embers.  A wind was raised and the embers quickly cooled as the ash began to blow and swirl.  As they settled, a figure could be seen.  'From the ashes of trechery, let life again bloom.  The slain boy walked from the ashes, and where he walked flowers bloomed.  The Great Lady looked at the boy, 'you have shown honor to the forest and to your family, for even in death did you seek to reveal the desecration enacted upon you and me.  I offer you a place in the forest if you wish.'  The boy looked to his father, mother and siblings, and then to the Great Lady.  'My father has always spoken with love of the forest, and the gifts you have so willingly given the people.  It would be an honor to serve you.'  His mother cried as his father looked with joy.  The Great Lady turned to them, 'you have raised a fine son, and just pride should fill your breast.'  She reached back and cut a lock of green hair from her head, and gave it to the woman.  "Spin this with your flax.  From the cloth make a shirt for your husband and a skirt for yourself.  In this way I shall always know of your, and you shall know my favor.'  To the boy's siblings she look, 'and you may visit your brother whenever you wish, safe passage to you as long as you bring no hatred within your hearts.'  To the family she said, 'take this story amongst your people.  The Court of Life is for all who treasure life and the responsibilities it brings.  Those who desecrate the rites of life and community will quickly fall out of favor of the Lord of Life and their ancestors, and they will cause the destruction of their community if the crime is not cleansed.  Go, and live in peace and prosperity.'"  With that, the Great Lady returned with her court to her home deep within the ancient wood, and the family returned home with the blessings of the Great Lady.

<Story Ends>

After the smoke starts, and the wolf and dogs begin to growl, Strie'bog will start the Sonata Spell (effective EL 1) to calm the animals.  He will keep casting it until the test ends.

If he survives & completes the test, he will quickly get the animals out of the pit while trying to keep them calm.

Afterwards, he will walk up to the Shaman:
"In cowardice, you have betrayed your ancestors and people.  Be prepared for your test."  He will then walk away.