[pnpgm] Strie'bog's response to Cetric

Robert A. Maxwell rmax at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 2 14:24:17 CET 2005

OOC:  The healing for Ben'dar will be magical (I don't have it up right now, but if I remember he needs both physical and energy healing).

"What peace have you offered Cetric," Strie'bog begins.  "By the ritual you so recently defiled?  The cup passed represents the life of this community, and I drank to honor this tribe, for I do not believe that those sitting here fully knew what you planned.  But you Cetric, what peace can exist when you have broken trust with your guests?  Hospitality is the greatest gift we give and receive, and it is based upon trust.  What have you done to rebuild the trust that has been broken?  How can any traveler ever trust the hospitality of you offer?"  He raises his hand to indicate that this is not a question to be answered yet, "You have not atoned for your actions Cetric.  You have offered words, and explanations for your actions, but have your fully accepted responsibility for this breach of hospitality and trust?"  He looks directly at Cetric, "I must thank you Cetric, for you have taught me a powerful lesson.  Never before I have met someone who I realize I can not trust."

Strie'bog stands, addressing his companions and the elders.  "Cetric is right.  The Vassa are a peaceful people, but they are also a people that are very insightful, and this I do not think Cetric realizes.  Relations can grow sour.  Insults, slights, minor betrayals can eat at the soul of a person or a group.  Though the Vassa always seek first the peaceful resolution, of which there are hundreds of rituals and acts of atonement and healing.  Yet, there is always the case where the hurt has festered, and the peaceful ways do not bridge the gap.  In the most serious crimes, blood is required to create balance, as you heard in the story, but that is the extreme case.  The holy men of the woods and Vassa long ago realized that these corrupting wounds require physical action to work them out of the body.  They established a ritual combat in which the wounds were coaxed to the surface.  Those involved fought with only their bodies until one of the combatants was unconscious."  Looking to the elders, "this is not a combat to determine a victor, or who was in the right.  It is combat to cleanse the poisons of betrayal, slights and insults that deeply cut into the community.  I understand that this may be a different concept for many of you, but it is a way to heal."  Looking to Cetric, "The proxy is a person who is not involved with the relationship in question, but stands to combat the hurt individual or group.  This occurs if the person who caused the injury is dead or infirm, and unable to stand in the combat."  He looks around, "the proxy acts as a surrogate, so that the injured party can purge their bodies and spirits of the hurt.  This is a sacred rite, meant to cleanse old wounds.  The relationship between Cetric and I is new."  He looks at Cetric, "my mother would have called for your blood to cleanse the land of your actions."  He again looks around, "I was raised among the Vassa, but their blood does not flow in my veins.  My mother's rage at the desecration of a sacred rite honoring life burns through me, but my father's calm and wisdom cools this fire."

Looking back at Cetric, "you said that I was not a warrior, but I have served before as a proxy in ritual combat.  Though not as tested in battle as your warrior and my companions, I have seen battle with the forces of the Elder Wyrm and the forces of destruction and binding.  Our cultures are different, and the Vassa ways of peace will seem alien to you, so I offer you a way to bridge the rift between you and me that makes more sense to the Zen'da.  This is no atonement to my companions or the ritual that you desecrated, those you will have to find within yourself.  This though is a start of rebuilding the sundered relation between you and I.  Do you agree?"

If he agrees, I will turn to Z'leyra and Caladan, "this ritual requires a purified space and a call to the forces of life.  I do not know if you can accomplish this, but I will aid how I can."  Looking to Cetric, "prior to the combat, we are required to sit for a while to recount our actions and words to one we trust.  Most of these are known, but it is a ritual that will focus our intent and call up the pain to be cleansed."  He looks to Ben'dar, "if you agree, would you hear the anger and pain that lives within me?"  Strie'bog will first work with Z'leyra and Caladan to create a ritual space for the combat, and in the Tounge of the Wood call upon the Court of Cernunnos.

He will retire with Ben'dar away from the others and begin, "My anger over Cetric's actions may seem strange to you, but as I said, my mother's rage burns within me.  She is the forest of the Vassa, she is it's life.  Any betrayal of life cuts deeply into me, as it does her.  As she, I serve the Lord of Life so this act is doublely painful.  The tests insulted further, though for some it has brought many of you into closer alignment with this tribe.  During my test, I told a story.  It was a story from my birth, and told to me by the one who died and was reborn through my mother's blessing.  He is a teacher and friend, thus the breech of hospitality and sacred rites thus strikes me doubly hard.  I find it hard to find in myself a desire to aid these people because of Cetric.  He holds the spirit of these people, and while I see it as corrupt I find it hard to want to help.  The only reason I stay and desire to help is that the agents of destruction seem to be fouling this land."  Strie'bog then recounts what Cetric has done to himself and the group.

OOC:  The combat is to KO using unarmed combat.  Strie'bog will not fight dirty or anything of the sort, so feel free to just run through the combat.  Afterward, when Strie'bog (or Cetric) wakes up, Strie'bog will clasp Cetric's hand and smile, "Let this be the beginning of a new relationship."

In the morning, Strie'bog will cast 'Wisdom' in an attempt to understand more of Cetric's vision and what evil is happening on the plains.  He will explain to the group what he is doing, and ask that they watch over his body.