[pnpgm] Game Update #15 - File #59 - Lair, Healing & Prisoner Decisions

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Fri May 13 01:43:01 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #15 in sequence (file #59]

    Admin notes: In hopes to get the above roster aligned in email
    though it shows up fine on the website and in my files I've
    added filler (..) to hopefully fix the problem.

      From Ben'dar: [Re: Aftermath/actions]
        After hearing Farseeker's explanation of the evil nature of
        the unconscious serpent woman, Ben'Dar grunts painfully, and
        says, "We should kill the foul creature.  I would suggest we
        question it first to find out if it has a hidden treasure
        hoard nearby, but I think it would likely just try to trick
        us.  Is there a reward for killing it, Farseeker?  If so, I
        will keep its head in a sack so that we can get a reward when
        we return to Maren."

        Ben'Dar asks for healing, "Please patch me up, Z'leyra.  That
        flying thing took a cheap shot at me when I wasn't looking!"

        After he is patched up, Ben'Dar will spend some time grooming
        his horse, checking it for any injuries, and talking to it.
        He will also give it a nice food treat as a reward for its
        superb discipline during the fight.

        Are there any useful body parts or loot on the dead monsters?
        Ben'Dar wouldn't mind adding a few more impressive-looking
        fangs or claws to his collection.  If he sees any on the
        serpents, firehounds, or demon, he will carefully take it to
        be added later to his trophy necklace.
      GM: Ack.  No real magical or trade items from the body parts.
        The serpent women turn to women when killed.  The firehounds
        may have a tough hide but that's about it.  The Nergali
        has a tough hide as well but no real unique items.

                                    **********

      From Jordi: [Re: Actions]
        (OOC: Scott, in turn 1, phase 4, Jordi fired and made 1 hit
        to the big phyton attacking Chion... so, Jordi fired 5 arrows
        and has some experience for the encounter... a miserable
        experience, but some experience.)

        First of all, after the combat is gone, Jordi takes a look
        on his buddies:
        Z'leyra, if you have spent too much magic and you're tired,
        I can magically heal Chion and Ben'dar".

        (OOC: EL 1 Healing spell for Chion, and maximum EL Healing
        spell for Ben'dar, plus Sidh tongue bonuses.  But only after
        Z'leyra has healed by non-magical means the wounds.)
        After that, Jordi recovers his five arrows.

        He throws to the fire the one that hit the serpent woman
        (just caution), and then, he takes the other four, to see
        if they can be reusable again.
        (Or, if they are broken, but the metal point is okey, to
        buy a "human" arrow, and substitute the human metal point
        by an elven metal point).

        Then, Jordi realizes that two horses have fled.

        "We must find the other horses."
        (OOC: Which horses have fled, Scott).
        "I will take a look, to see if I can find them"
        (Of course, if Jordi's horse hasn't fled...).
      GM: I thought you held firing one time so 4 arrows.  But I'll
        do 5 arrows that's fine :)  As to experience with monsters
        melee tends to get you more points than missile wepaons but
        missile weapons are safer. :)  Ack.  Will cover other stuff
        later in the update.

                                    **********

      From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
        OOC:  woohoo!  So the spell came in useful!

        Strie'bog replies: "While these creatures are evil, I must say
        that I am uncomfortable executing one of them as it lays
        helpless.  All life is a precious gift, one that should not
        be thrown away callously.  Is there not an outpost of Maren
        that is close to us? A place where we could take this one for
        judgement?  As for their lair, it is possible that they have
        left tracks.  We can follow these back to see what is there.
        This will most likely take us from our original course, but it
        may also lend clues to the woes that plauge the Zen'dali.
        Failing that, once I recover myself,  I may be able to divine
        some information about the location of their lair."

        When people discuss healing: "Though I am not as skilled as
        others, I can ease the pain of those who have been wounded." If
        people agree, he will ask that everyone who is wounded be
        gathered around him, and he will play for them, using 2 mana
        to cast Sonata (Healing) (effective EL 1, 1d3 + 1 damage healed).

        Afterwards, he will move around the camp looking for tracks,
        marking their location.
      GM: Yes. Fire Arrow did help as if it was a regular hit the
        flying nergali demon would still be alive :)  Ack.

                                    **********

      From Chion: [Re: Actions]
        Chion will get healed however the group wants to heal him.

        He will also suggest the following:
        "Mental contact can be maintained within a short range between
         a few of us. I would be willing to take a small group of
         others to find the lair if it exists.  We could catch up easy
         enough so long as we keep in contact. I think if perhaps three
         of us went, with horses, we could  all return safely. My
         suggestion would be our best plains tracker, an aerial gifted
         one and I."
      GM: Ack

                                    **********

      From Ben'dar - reply to Strie'bog [Re: Serpent Women]
         Ben'Dar witnessed the impressive fire-shot that took down
         the flying demon.  He has new-found respect for Strie'bog.
         He responds:

         "I have heard your words Strie'bog, and they are words of
          wisdom. I agree that life should not be thrown away
          callously."

         Then Ben'Dar shakes head, "That foul creature does not follow
         our way of thinking.  It has been taking innocent lives for a
         long time.  It has been terrorizing and killing and maiming
         with its band of followers.  It would have done the same to
         us had we not killed its followers and knocked it out first.
         It would have killed our friend Balrog if I had not stopped
         it.  If we allow it to live, it may escape and if it does, it
         will gather more creatures to help it kill even more innocent
         travelers." Ben'Dar's glances at the lingering magical
         darkness which hides the unconscious creature.  He continues
         grimly, "If there was a way to ensure it would not escape to
         kill again, I would also favor taking it alive to be judged
         by the authorities of Marentia. But I do not see a way...."

         To Strie'bog re: Healing Music:
         Ben'Dar is somewhat dubious about sitting down to listen to
         music.  Having grown up around wild horses and rowdy barbarian
         warriors, he has not had much experience with music.  However,
         he isn't feeling up to making much of a fuss about his warrior
         pride, being as injured as he is...  He shrugs (gingerly) and
         sits down on the ground near Strie'bog to listen to the
         healing music.  Upon its completion, he is not sure what to
         say, but he wishes to show his gratitude.  Gesturing to
         Strie'bog's bow, he says, "It's a fine weapon.  That was a
         very good shot back there.  How did you learn to shoot with
         fire magic?"

         To Jordi re: Healing
         (OOC: I'm not sure how much magical healing I can take....I'm
         not too familiar with the magic rules.  But, assuming Ben'Dar
         can get patched up from Z'leyra, healed from Strie'bog's music,
         and also healed by Jordi's magic...)  Putting his hand on
         Jordi's shoulder, Ben'Dar says, "Thank you for the healing,
         Jordi.  I need sharp elven eyes like you, my friend.  I didn't
         see the flying creature when it came in from behind me."
      GM: Ack.

                                    **********

      From Strie'bog to Ben'dar/Group: [Re: reply]
         Strie'bog replies to Ben'dar.

         "Your points are strong.  I have no way to prevent her from
          using whatever powers she might possess.  If she has the
          ability to change her form to a snake, neither rope nor
          chains would bind her."

         To the group:
         "Do any of you possess the ability to bind a creature from
          using its magic or powers?  Or even to cause it to sleep
          until you decide to awaken it?  For that would be the only
          way I could see of brining this one back to Maren alive."

         To Ben'dar regarding the bow:
         "Thank you.  I crafted this bow from the bough of an ancient
          oak near my home that was struck by lightning.  I asked, and
          the forest granted permission for me to use the wood.  As
          for the magics, it was my mentor who taught me to enchant my
          bow and arrows.  He felt I should know some magics that I
          could use protect myself in my travels.  I have only minimal
          skill in these magics, but they have proved the wisdom of my
          mentor in teaching them to me."
      GM: Ack.

                                    **********

      From Z'leyra: [Re: Healing]
          Z'leyra mentions that "Magical healing of any type should
          only be done once in a day. A full day and night should pass
          before more magical healing or the patient risks death from
          the stress of the healing. Other types of healing such as
          herbs, healing skill and healing massage work well with each
          other and magical healing."

          Z'leyra will heal any party members that are injured, using
          healing skill and healing massage before using a Healing
          Spell. She will not use a healing spell if the patient has
          had magical healing in the previous 24 hours.
      GM: Ack.  Ohh.  A Massage! :)  Too bad Xian didn't get hurt :<

     Sepes 5, Thusuda in the 163rd Year [TH]
     Location: 14 Miles NW of Maren City, Plains/Road
     Time: 11:39pm, Partly Cloudy, No Moon, Party camp

     Combat Time -
       Tht total combat took 2 full turns but not even 30 seconds so
       was a fast and furious combat.

     Experience -
       As to experience it is all recorded now.  Congratulations to
       those 3 who got level increases.

     Equipment -
       Strie'bog - Minus 2 Arrows [Both broken/burnt beyond use again]

       Jordi     - Only 2 arrows are good from the 5.  Two found in
                   the morning in the dirt that went wild.  The other
                   3 two are broken and 1 the head got bent a bit.
                   So will only mark off 3 arrows.

       Balrog    - Tunic and Leather armor ruined.  Will have to buy
                   a new set in next town.

     Healing -

       Pogo (dog), Boyzdar (Wolf) and Balrog are already healed via
       magical healing.  This just leaves Ben'dar and Chion.

       Looking ahead - Its not midnight yet so by the time the sun
       rises natural healing is possible.  The wolf will heal
       naturally 5 points making him fully healed by the time he
       wakes up to leave.  The dog is now fully healed by the
       magic of Thig.  Balrog by the time he wakes in 6 or so
       hours will have healed naturally 4 more points making him
       now only 4 points under from a 15 point strike.  So in
       a day or two he should be fine.

       Now as to Ben'dar and Chion.  Both agree to be healed
       by anyone.  Ben'dar will sit during the healing music
       or be healed by Jordi.  Also Z'leyra offers healing
       as well.  But I'm not sure who to actually do the healing
       from.  However if we go in sequence Jordi offered first,
       Strie'bog second (with music) and Z'leyra*.  Now Z'leyra
       is a good healer but Jordi is as well.  However, being
       a new character might need the experience :).  So
       who wishes to heal who?  Or rather I guess it could
       be up to the players:
         Ben'dar, Chion - who do you wish to be healed by?
       Z'leyra, Jordi or Strie'bog's music? :)

        Player             Damage       Healed
       Ben'dar               12           No    Moderate Wound
       Chion                  5           No    Minor Wound

       Chion could probably be fully healed by morning with any
       magical healing and natural morning.  Ben'dar though may
       need the best healing.

     Prisoner -

       The Magical Darkness would've lasted 16 total turns.  It
       was active for 3.  So 13 turns it would've still lasted.
       So almost 2.5 minutes later the magical darkness finally
       fades and the prisoner is clearly seen.  The canines guard
       it and surround it.

       Discussion starts as to what to do with the creature.  The
       votes come in...

         Balrog     - Kill it
         Ben'dar    - Kill it but if can take prisoner for justice
         Caladan    - Kill it
         Chion      - Unknown
         Farseeker  - Kill it
         Jordi      - Unknown
         Kasha      - Take for justice
         Thig       - Kill it
         Strie'bog  - Take for justice
         Trembyl    - Take for Justice
         Unali      - Unknown
         Xian       - Kill it
         Z'leyra    - Unknown

         Farseeker: "These creatures have killed for a long time.
           They are best known in the Crossroads town which we
           will be soon at.  The crossroads of the road to the
           North and West.  They killed many in that area and
           likely moved this way when hunted.  Just six weeks
           ago I helped trained 3 town troopers to defend against
           these creatures on orders of the garrison."

         Xian: "I will go with the party on this but if we let
           it go it will kill again.  So our only true choice
           is to kill it or get it to town for justice.  But
           we must be realistic here that the town will likely
           just kill it."

         Trembyl: "We know the fire hound beasts are dumb.
           But this demon here is as smart as a human and was
           killed.  These women are the same.  There is little
           difference.  If we take the creature with us for
           justice, a noble idea and I agree with it, it will
           take us how long?"

         Farseeker: "At least two and a half to three days before
           we reach Crossroads.  There is a small village a day
           from here but not equipped to take the creature. Maren
           would surely kill it and they have no real say as the
           creature did more damage near Crossroads."

         GM: No majority vote here 5 to kill it, 4 for justice
           and a few unknowns.  Only 14 miles from Maren a good
           day's ride for the full party (or faster for the best
           riders). But at least 2.5 to 3 days before Crossroads.

         Farseeker: "As Strie'bog says rope would just burst if it
           changed into a python again.  If we let it speak it
           would summon more forces or use magic against us.  So
           we'd have to bind it somehow for 3 days."

         Caladan: "I could do like I did for Cholan.  Put her in
           a trance for the time.  But we'd have to give her a
           horse for the body to carry and someone walk then
           seperate it by some distance so no noise from us wakes
           her up.  At least 10 feet.  Unless there is another
           way to bind her?"

     Lair -

         Farseeker: "I spent four days in Crossroads six weeks ago
           helping the town.  Each day we tried to track down the
           creature...at that time we only knew they had three.
           This third snake woman was not known to us....we did
           find two abandoned snake pits.  They like holes or caves.
           Each were found near the river bed.  Only one was used
           recently.  We had figured they moved on once they learned
           of being hunted.  They must've moved east.  Which means
           their lair is likely around here somewhere."

         Xian: "Thig is the best tracker in the party as far as I
           know.  He can fly with a torch and track it as best we
           can in this darkness."

         GM: Balrog stays to rest his wound.  Xian and Trembyl
           choose to stay in camp.  Kasha and Jordi will go find
           the horses with torches.  Jordi since you stated this
           if you wish to join the lair expedition let me know.
           Caladan will stay to help protect the camp if needed.

           This leads Thig, Ben'dar, Chion, Farseeker, Strie'bog,
           Unali and Z'leyra if you guys wish to join the lair
           expedition.  Will assume Unali stays in camp unless
           wout states otherwise.

         Farseeker: "We could sue the best riders to go out
           and find them." [He looks at Chion] "You may slow
           us down a bit?  Same for the donkey" [looking at
           Strie'bog] "But up to you guys."

         GM: Keep this in mind.  Natural healing - it is near
           midnight when the lair expedition will leave.  Those
           who leave will not be resting during that critical
           point between midnight and sunrise for natural healing.
           Ergo those going and not RESTING will lose their
           natural healing rolls depending on how long the trip
           takes.  Thus Chion and Ben'dar you should consider
           this as well.   If you wish to stay and heal then that's
           fine.  But the magical healing may also help (especially
           for Chion's light wound).

     Horses -

        Its determined the horses for Caladan and Xian fled.  Kasha
        and others help to locate the horses.  It will take 10
        minutes to find the first then another almost 20 minutes
        to find the other as they were a bit skittish.

        GM: Jordi if you help with horses you probably would miss
          the lair expedition.  So let me know.

     Other stuff -

        [Re: Reward/Head in sack]

        Farseeker to Ben'dar: "No need.  The poster is dead or
          alive.  I don't recall if it gets a bounty either way.
          But frankly...I think the bounty and any treasure we
          find in this lair should be given over to the families
          of those killed divided up equally.  In clima most of
          us became pretty well off.  If we take this bounty
          nad other items as personal booty I will feel ashamed."
          [He turns toward Strie'bog] "Of course this does not
          include you as seem humble and if you wish to keep any
          items so be it.  I personally will not hold it against
          you.  What do you guys say?"

        [Ben'dar inspects his horse and finds no wounds.  It
         seems utterly calm.  Ben'dar gives it a nice treat.]

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Monday.

     No update last monday due to the amount of replies and
     some other stuff.  So consider this one to be Friday's
     update.  Another will be monday.  I need to know:

     * Healing: Ben'dar/Chion who you let heal you?
     * Lair: Who goes on expedition and who stays
     * Prisoner: Any votes on prisoner

     Then we'll move on and next update will have the lair
     details.

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933