[pnpgm] Game update #31b - File #128 - Supplement Update

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Sat Aug 13 04:22:36 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #31b in sequence (file #128]

     Admin notes: Wanted to clear a few things up. So this is a
     supplemental update.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion gets off his horse and gets out his staff. He tells
          everyone the following:

          "I can probably kill all of them in one shot, ar at least make
           it so that they will all be hurt. What We are going to need
           to do is gather all the horses in a group. We will need to
           have all the bait we can to get them in as tight a group as
           possible. I may even not have to wait until the last seconds
           to perform this task. But it sure beats having to try to kill
           these stupid flying things in melee combat. What do you say?
           Want to trust me?"

          His plan is to get all the hypogriffs into the range of his
          staff's EL7 spell. Hopefully all nearly the same height off
          the ground. A 30-50 foot drop should kill most of them, one
          would hope.
        GM: You do realize it doesn't kill.  Just hold.   Keep this
          in mind.  If they are held in place in the sky a falling
          HEAVY hippogriff on people could be like having a motorcycle
          fall on a person.  :)

                                ----------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          >Good role-playing”

          Thanks!  I was starting to worry that my posts are getting
          too lengthy.  I'll try to keep them to a reasonable length.
          it's just that when I start typing up actions/comments for
          Ben'Dar, I really get into it.  ;-)

          I was thinking about some of the actions in that last update
..
          I think the spell-casters would want to wait until the
          hippogriffs are a bit closer before casting their spells (due
          to limited duration of spells. I don't know if most of those
          spells will last for 30+ phases before the effects wear off?)
          Also, Caladan's first shot with his composite bow was over
          4,000 feet if I'm figuring the distance correctly.  Is that
          right?  It just seemed weird that a bunch of the party members
          have bows ready but Caladan was the only one firing for 7-8+
          phases.
        GM:   I'm not worried on length.  Greg was the longest years
          ago.  Caladan's bow was the only one with that extended
          range.  If Neva was still here she could've fired.  See
          below on details.  AS to spells Xian/Thig did it to distract
          the creatures into attacking their horses and getting
          them in point blank.  Its basic experience for re-casting.
          Same for Z'leyra (experience).  The illusion is the same
          thing as a distraction tool.  Most casters are holding back
          until the last minute (or second).

                                ---------------

        From Jordi: [Re: Actions]
          Jordi listens with interest Chion's plan:

          > Chion gets off his horse and gets out his staff. He tells
          everyone the following: >

          "Very interesting.  But, what spell will you use exactly?
           What are its effects?"

          OOC: Jordi trusts Chion, but he wants to know what is the
          plan - yes, he knows there isn't a lot of time, but at least
          knowing a little bit of it won't hurt...
        GM: Ack. :)  As per your emailed actions will perform those.
          But will follow them to the T in terms of your schedule.
          Keep in mind the number of phases for them to meet the
          party.

                        --------------------

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Questions]
          Were the Hippogriffs out of range for Strie'bog to fire?  I
          don't have the books open and can't remember the ranges.
          Question, how long before they are in range for Strie'bog to
          fire?
        GM: Yes.  Out of range.  Likely another 2600 feet or at a
          rate of 90 per phase or about 28 phases?

        From Chion to Jordi: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will explain quickly: "My staff holds a spell far
          greater than I can cast alone and if cast, all creatures
          will be caught in a web and fall to the ground. We can slay
          them where they fall if the fall does not kill them, be
          ready."
        GM: Ack.  Keep in mind above.  Could be fun playing the
          falling hippo game!

       Yes.  Some weapons are better than others.  Extended range
       firing is very difficult to impossible chance wise.  I
       have also my own rules for Extended Range firing.  Course
       magic and magical weapons help in this area.

       I actually got preped for this combat.  I made myself
       range charts at the ready.

       For those who can fire at Extreme Range its a +5 to fire
       among other effects/rules.  Course other effects apply
       like strength for some thrown weapons can boost some ranges.

                           Point
                           Blank  Short  Medium  Long     Ext.
       Thorwing Dagger -     0      1     2-3     4+5      -
            Base Line  -    +8      0     -12     -20      -
            Hit Chance -    66%    60%    26%     15%      -
            Max Range  -    5 Hexes (50 Feet)

       Handle Sling    -    0-1    2-4    5-10    11-19  20-30
            Base Line  -    +3     +9     -4      -17     -17
            Hit Chance -    56%    68%    42%     18%     18%
            Max Range  -   38 Hexes (380 Feet)

       Composite Bow   -    0-2    3-6    7-13    14-25  26-50
            Base Line  -    +14    +7     -3      -14     -14
            Hit Chance -    78%    64%    44%     22%     22%
            Max Range  -   50 Hexes (500 Feet)

       Bow             -    0-2    3-5    6-10    11-20  21-40
            Base Line  -    +11    +4     -6      -18     -18
            Hit Chance -    72%    58%    38%     17%     17%
            Max Range  -   40 Hexes (400 Feet)

       Throwing Axe    -     0      1     2-30     4-6     -
            Base Line  -    +6     -2     -10     -20      -
            Hit Chance -    62%    46%    38%     15%      -
            Max Range  -    6 Hexes (60 Feet)

       Arbalest        -    0-2    3-6    7-12    13-24  25-48
            Base Line  -    +15    +8     -2      -12     -12
            Hit Chance -    80%    66%    46%     26%     26%
            Max Range  -   48 Hexes (480 Feet)

     Repeating CrossBow-    0-1    2-4    5-8     9-16     -
            Base Line  -    +7     +1     -8      -18      -
            Hit Chance -    64%    52%    34%     17%      -
            Max Range  -   48 Hexes (480 Feet)

       Balrog    - Throwing Dagger, Sling
       Caladan   - Composite Bow
       Ben'dar   - Bow
       Farseeker - Throwing Axe
       Xian      - Arbalest
       Trembyl   - Arbalest
       Strie'bog - Bow
       Kasha     - Throwing Dagger
       Thig      - Sling, Throwing Daggers, Repeating Crossbow
       Unali     - Sling

                        ---------------------------

      Yes.  Doing the math shows the composite bow couldn't
      have fire at 4,000 plus feet.  Asked later after the
      battle Caladan explains:

      Caladan: "The bow is a special bow.  It was given to me by
        my Master, Woudenal, many years ago.  It has a mind of
        its own and decides when it allows its special distance
        busting feature.  In fact this is only the second time
        I've used it in the last decade.  It seems to only work
        in the borders of my tribal lands.  When we were in
        ser'manda lands it would not have worked.  How it was
        created I have no clue.  What all magics it has in it
        I'm not sure.  I just somehow "knew" I could use it
        for this encounter.  I was also told my familiar (the
        firesnake) must be near me for it to work.  It does
        sap energy from me so its very tiring when I use its
        ability.  If I use it a few hundred times i could die.
        The arrows themselves seem to move from one place to
        another as if teleported there in a blink of an eye.
        It doesn't work against humans just creatures I'm told.
        I also know that outside my lands its just a ordinary
        normal bow.  The bow's powers also works only for me when
        I hold it and no one else.  I've tried with other warriors
        and shamans."

      So based on the above hope this answers questions.  The
      above table can be used to determine how clsoe before
      you may wish to fire.

      Hippgriff - 2,950 feet away (roughly)

      Update on Monday...
      This is only a supplement to give out info.

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933