[pnpgm] Game update #28 - File #109 - Party finds trouble in the river

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Wed Aug 3 05:18:56 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       8 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #28 in sequence (file #109)

     Admin notes: None

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra shows how healing and bandaging is done by example. She
          heals Ben'Dar and supervises Farseeker's healing/bandaging
          (offering suggestions...maybe giving some Healer training to
          whomever heals Farseeker).

          She will offer to magically heal Ben'Dar's wound after binding
          it.  Perhaps Farseeker can give another spellcaster the chance
          to get experience with their healing spell by letting them heal
          him?

          When the horse comes running into camp Z'leyra will calm the
          horse while readying her staff. <Actually in Horse Tongue she
          will tell the horse to be calm and ask it what happened? Where
          is Farseeker?> She will cast B Speed on herself at Max EL, then
          run towards the spot the horse fled from.
        GM: Ack.  You do realize the horse is faster than running :)

                        ----------------------------

        From Jordi: [Re: Actions]
          Jordi hears Caladan with interest.  Learning things from "alien"
          cultures interests him a lot. "Hummm.... just a doubt.  What do
          we do with the horses of the dead? I imagine you want to return
          them to their families. However, I'm against that idea for a
          practical consideration. If they have a lot of horses, they will
          be able to return quicker to their tribe, jumping from horse to
          horse when they get tired.  I think we should retain them.  We
          can return the horses in the future, perhaps a member of your
          tribe will do us the favor."

          Once Jordi wakes up, he doesn't lose time.  He just takes his
          sword and shield, mounts his horse (I think he does it without
          a saddle) and goes to the river, full speed. Once he reaches
          the river, Jordi will enter the river to try to rescue Farseeker,
          no matter the risks.
        GM: Good point on horses. Ack.  This could be fun :)
          This could be one of those things I mentioned before.  You
          do the action the result is out of my control :)

                        ----------------------------

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          Strie'bog spends one mana to activate Sonic Boom (EL 1), then,
          while holding the horse to calm it, he cries out to the camp:
          "To arms, Farseeker is in danger!"  He then whispers to the
          wolf. "Go and aid."  He step away from the Farseeker's horse
          (so that it is not in direct line between him and the water),
          string his bow, and then use his 'booming voice'  to intimidate
          whatever may have startled the horse down by the river.
                                -----------------
          Strie'bog looks on as Caladan negotiates with interest, taking
          it as an opportunity to learn about how another culture handles
          affairs like this.  After Jordi's comment...

          "If horses are of importance and value, would the dead not be
          further dishonored if we took their horses."  Looking to Caladan
          and Farseeker, "would it not show that we honored the dead as
          warriors to allow their horses to be returned to their tribe?"
        GM: Ack

                                --------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          (OOC: Any chance the 4 expertise points Ben'Dar got can be
          applied against horsemanship since he used both his spear
          skill and his horsemanship skill in the fight?) Ben'Dar is ok
          with the plan to let the survivors go on foot.  Their horses
          will be useful to either use, trade, or sell at some point.
          That's the most valuable loot!  ;-) Ben'Dar will help to tie
          up the Ser'manda warhorses on leads behind the party's horses,
          trying to spread them out evenly among the party so they can
          be led easily as we travel.

          Ben'Dar will take a quiver that's in good shape, and load up
          as many good arrows as he can fit in the quiver.  He'll put
          this into a saddle bag on Tef'wo as a backup reserve of arrows.
          Also, he'll look at the bows and if one of them is a little
          nicer than the one he's got, he'll take it instead.  He'll
          also gather up all the "not so good" arrows to be used for
          target practice in the evenings.  He'll wrap these up in the
          “not so good” quivers and strap them to one of the Ser'manda
          horses.

          After the prisoners have left, Ben'Dar says, "Will someone
          please heal me with magic?"  He will take magic healing from
          whoever is willing to give it.  If he is still injured after
          the magic, he will ask Z'leyra to bandage up his arm with her
          healing skills.

          Ben'Dar will use his Tanning skill in the evenings to begin
          making minor repairs to his Dragon Hide armor as needed.

          Actions at the night camp by the river:
          If he is awakened, and finds out that Farseeker is in trouble
          by the river, he will leap onto Tef'wo's back and gallop to
          the river at full speed.  He will jump off at a run and attack
          whoever is trying to drown Farseeker.  He will plunge into the
          water with his spear to fight in the river if necessary (since
          he's only wearing leather armor, he should be ok as long as the
          water isn't too deep
)

          **************
          And add one more comment:  After the fighting ends and the
          prisoners have been dealt with, Ben'Dar slaps Balrog on the
          back (with his uninjured arm) and laughing says, "Great shot
          with the dagger!  He didn’t even see it coming.  You'll have
          to teach me to throw like that sometime." (That's the last
          email for awhile
I promise!)  ;-)

          Edit that last action:
          If he is awakened, and finds out that Farseeker is in trouble
          by the river, he will leap onto Tef'wo's back and gallop to the
          river at full speed.  He will ride Tef'wo into the water and
          try to get between Farseeker and his attacker.  He'll kick or
          skewer the attacker to get him to back off.  Then he'll grab
          Farseeker's hand and while holding on, ride Tef'wo out of the
          river and pull Farseeker out.

          If he gets to the river and Farseeker is out of trouble, then
          he'll help however he can whether it be attacking the enemy or
          retrieving the enemy's body from the water, or giving Farseeker
          a lift back to camp.
        GM: Actually I'll give a skill use for the horsemanship since
          you used it in an active charge (d10- you get 4 poitns of
          exptertise).  The arrows you collect, good, are 43, so will
          add them to character sheet.  The bows are used so not that
          great a difference in yours.  The hide shouldn't take much
          time to repair the small hole.  It was one "scale" piece.
          Balrog thanks you.  He explains in his ahh..line of work ...
          daggers are handy.  Ack on actions.  Two in the river :)

                                -----------

        From Jordi to Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          "You are right, Strie'bog... but, first, we are showing our
          honorability not killing them; of course, they can lie when
          they return home.  And second, with three horses per man, they
          can raise the alarm very soon... and if the tribe decides to
          chase us, starting distance will be short.  Plus, the tribe's
          horses are, for sure, in better shape than ours."
        GM: Ack.  :)  Good points.

                                -----------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          If Chion wakes up (either due to WS spell or being awoken) he
          will look towards the river to see if he can se the torchlight
          and teleport to it (one phase versus almost two turns of running).

          With his sai out he'll attempt to free Farseeker/kill the
          beastie as best he can.

    [Previous Actions]

       [Earlier that day...]

       [As Jordi, Strie'bog and Farseeker discuss the horses Caladan
        turns around from walking away.  He nods and listens to the
        group talk.]

       Caladan: "I forgot about the horses.  I've been distracted.
         Yes.  Good points.  We'll take the hroses.  On the plains
         horses is as valuable as gold booty.   So-"
       Leader: "You can't!  We need those horses.  We need to bring
         the dead back.  We can't have them eaten by wolves and other
         creatures.  Its not right!"
       [Caladan considers this.  He counts the dead as 8.]
       Caladan: "You can take four horses back.  This gives you two
         bodies that can be carried by the horses back.  But we'll
         take the saddles and all the gear.  This way you can't ride
         those horses without some major damage to you and the horses
         for a full day's ride."
       [Caladan looks to the party for arguments.  This still brings
        back 7 of the 11 horses back which is a good haul.]

       [Z'leyra uses her healing skill and healing magic to completley
        heal Ben'dar of his wounds.  He is now back at 100%.]

    [New Stuff]

     Sepes 36, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains, 198 Miles
         North of Asichi City - [Around 5:30am -

       [Strie'bog grabs farseeker's horse and casts a quick spell.
        He then turns to the party and yells out for everyone
        to wake up as above.  The noise is loud as if 3x the normal
        tone of voice.  As if Strie'bog is talking into a bullhorn.

        Even before he yells Trembyl wakes up instantly when the
        horse comes into camp followed by Z'leyra and Jordi. After
        he yells this wakes up everyone else but Balrog.  Guess it
        was some of the old drink earlier that night.

        The noise of the yell even shakes bodies and makes teeth
        ache a bit from the vibrations as it covers the entire
        camp about 40 feet in area.

        Trembyl grabs his scimitar and daggers nearby and stands
        to assess the situation.  He hears the story and considers
        a teleport to the river but dangerous at night not knowing
        the true distance.

        Ben'dar stands, grabs his spear and finds Tef'wo.  He leaps
        on the back and turns it around and heads full speed toward
        the river after he learns the details.

        Unali stands and grabs her daggers.  She looks around the
        darkness making sure no one is being distracted by a diversion.

        Balrog will wake 5 seconds after the yell from Strie'bog and
        finally gets to his feet.

        GM: Hrm.  Best I handle this in phasal movement so i can
          handle movement faster.

        Turn 1: Phase 1

          [Thig flies toward river]

        Turn 1: Phase 2

          [Strie'bog wakes everyone as they gather material/weapons]

        Turn 1: Phase 3

          [Ben'dar rides toward the river into the darkness..]

          [Caladan stands and grabs some gear.  He finds his
           horse and starts to untie the rope.]

          [Kasha grabs his mace.  He decides to stay in camp
           to wait for instructions.]
          Kasha: "Could be diversion.  I'll wait here."

          [The sleepy eagle takes to the cold night air and
           flies into the sky.]

          [Xian grabs his warstaff.  He sees folks starting to
           leave but realizes no one is grabbing any light.  He
           decides to dip a nearby torch into the campfire and
           take it to the river.]

          [Balrog and Unali stay in camp at this point.]

          [Z'leyra casts a speed spell to increase her running
           speed.  She grabs her staff and prepares to leave
           while she talks to the Farseeker's horse.]

          [Jordi grabs his sword/shield and runs toward his horse
           and then gets it ready to leave camp.]

          [Chion stands and casts a teleport spell.  But after
           saying the words he finds himself still in the same
           spot.  Spell Failure.]

        Turn 1: Phase 3

          [Not everyone should leave the camp so the following
           stay behind until needed or called:
           Balrog, Kasha, Strie'bog (until new actions), Trembyl,
           and Unali.]

          [Chion casts another quick teleport spell and this time
           teleports near the river.  He recalls the layout a bit
           from seeing it earlier at sunset.  He pulls his sai
           and looks around.]

          [Xian also casts a teleport spell and winks out.  He
           then appears near Chion about 20 feet down the rier
           bank holding a torch.  He quickly turns and looks
           around him for Farseeker.]

          [Movement toward the River...]

            [Ben'dar rides - 80 feet]
            [Caladan rides - 80 feet] [with torch]
            [Thig    flies - 70 feet]
            [Jordi   rides - 60 feet]
            [Jordi   rides - 60 feet]
            [Z'leyra runs  - 50 feet]

        Turn 1: Phase 4

          [Movement toward the River...]

            [Ben'dar rides - 80 feet - 40 to go]
            [Caladan rides - 80 feet - 40 to go] [with torch]
            [Thig    flies - 70 feet - 60 to go]
            [Jordi   rides - 60 feet - 80 to go]
            [Jordi   rides - 60 feet - 80 to go]
            [Z'leyra runs  - 50 feet -100 to go]

          [Chion and Xian look around...Chion alone in the darkness
           and Xian with light around him.  Xian yells out for
           Farseeker.  Chion scans the river.  The river tht day
           is about 180-200 feet wide and swift moving.  Here it
           was about 6-8 feet deep in the center of the river but
           mostly shallow near the banks.  The noise of the river
           confuses things in concentration.

           Chion notices splashing to the right and about 15 feet
           out.  He cautiously heads that way.  When he hears a
           gasp of air he figures it to be farseeker.  Chion runs
           into the water with sai ready to help Farseeker.]

        Turn 2: Phase 1

          [Movement toward the River...]

            [Ben'dar arrives first on the scene.  He sees
             Chion entering the water and now about 10 feet
             out up to his hips in water.  Ben'dar rides the
             horse directly into the water and goes to help
             Chion where he guesses Chion found Farseeker.]

            [Caladan arries next and uses his torch to swing back
             and forth to get a good look at the water.]

            [Thig flies overhead next and tries to see into the
             river depths..]

            [Jordi   rides - 60 feet - 20 to go]
            [Jordi   rides - 60 feet - 20 to go]
            [Z'leyra runs  - 50 feet - 50 to go]

            [Suddenly a form to the left of Chion lunges at
             Chion...Chion somehow senses this and moves back
             just a bit just enough so the form slips by him
             and back into the water.  This startles Chion
             who sees the form as humanoid?]

            [Caladan then sees a form ..a head?...in the water..
             he yells out to the group...] "Asrai!"

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Friday..

     [I had hoped to do more...but this is a good setup point.
      Everyone will be at the river next phase.  Caladan has
      identified the enemy, farseeker's location is unknown,
      2 torches only in the group for light otherwise total
      darkness, Chion and Ben'dar are in the water.  Chion
      is on foot about 10 feet out and hip deep in water.
      Ben'dar is on horse so hes not wet other than his feet
      out about 12 feet but on higher soil it seems.]

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933