[pnpgm] Game Update #293 - File # 487 Doom is Gloom just spelled wrong

Wout Broere broere at powersandperils.org
Tue Aug 3 09:41:14 CEST 2004

At 04:36 AM 8/3/2004, you wrote:
>            He wants to:
>            Teleport OUTSIDE.            HEAL FOR A WEEK.
>            TIME TRAVEL BACK TO NOW.     Teleport INSIDE.
>            DONE. FINITO. NO MAS.
>            Alex, Wout how do you guys handle time travel in these
>            situations are 2 beings created?

I don't see that big issues with paradoxes and time travel. Time is just
another direction, so let's say it is a narrow path on which the character
travels at a constant speed (always forward). Time travel would take the
same character off the path and put him back somewhere else on the path.
Same character, same being, same path.

So travel back in time as you like. I would just rule that anything you do
in the past (travelled back), does not influence anything that you know
happened there and then (the first time round). So I would limit the
character that went back in time in his actions. You go back to prevent a
king's murder, bad luck happens and the murderer still (not once again, but
still) succeeds. You trip over the carpet, get stopped by the king's
guards, whatever. Maybe, for cruelty's sake, see the murder happen in front
of your eyes.

Another situation I would allow: You learn of the upcoming murder of a
king, but are unable to reach him in time. You travel back in time, get to
the king before he is murdered, and prevent his murder.

What the heck, you could even meet yourself this way. The problem is that
you have to state well in advance (as a player) that you will later travel
back in time and go to the same place. That makes it possible to play the
following: Player (1) enters the dungeon and meets himself (2) there. The
exiting player warns himself to stay away from the gully dwarfs. Spends a
week in the dungeon and moves back in time. Now he exits the dungeon and
meets himself just coming in. He warns himself on entering to stay away
from the gully dwarfs.

In my opinion this is doable gamewise, but it takes the fun out of a lot of
situations. If you get out after a week, you know you are not killed in the
meantime. Any foolish action therefore is allowed, as you will not die.
Nothing said about the week-long torture by horrible gully dwarfs who did
steal everything but your trousers.

As aside note: travelling forward is just plain hard in P&P. You need at
least EL12 to travel forward a week. Travelling backwards is relatively easy.

As a GM I would take Chion apart at this instance, have him exit the
dungeon, teleport away, see if he survives for a week and can travel back
in time. If all that succeeds, he then joins the game again right now as
far as all other players are concerned, and there is no double timeline to
be kept for all other players. This can be done in private email at high
speed.

Heck, Chion has been hiding around the corner just a few minutes ago,
before the hallway fight. Would have had him leave then, out of sight,
travel back and just pop back in the same spot he left 30 seconds earlier
in the timeline (or a week ago in his own reckoning). No one the wiser, no
problems with player interaction to be solved. And of course, he could have
been killed by a stray pack of gargoyles in that week, so he was hiding
behind the corner and just disappeared forever.

Given the problems of encounters, the terrain and the need for food, I
would rate the survival chance of a lone character low on hit points close
to zero. It definitely is not the safest way to regain hit points. Even a
single encounter early in the week could be lethal and/or leave you
completely without mana.

The problems I see are not with the time travel, but first with the risk of
teleporting to an unknown location and second with surviving alone in Clima
for the upcoming week, when every guard and priestess is looking for the
traitors that ruined their perfect plan. And there are gargoyles on the
loose. What the heck, you could end up with a random encounter: Dragon, and
he is enraged.

As a GM, I would advise against it, but allow it, and play it out as it
goes. As a Player I would advise against it, as I rate Chion's survival
chance very low. As a Character, Unali would not voice an opinion.

Ft

Wout Broere		broere at powersandperils.org
P&P Website:		http://www.powersandperils.org/