[PnP] pnp Digest, Vol 123, Issue 1

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Thu Dec 3 08:21:28 CET 2015

I've found that in 30 years its down to 3 forms
Adventure Mode - Go save the princess in that tower over there. Basic quests
Free Form - You allow players to do whatever they want.  Raze this
village.  Build their own castle.  etc.  Course this cna be dangerous
as they reform your world.  This is fine to a limit as the true hero
genre can go crazy.
Dungeon Mode - Like Quest mode but this is just your typical go to
dungeon.  Hack/slash.  No real role playing.  This is usually where
most new gamers/gms start.

It all depends on experience and how much time you want to put in
it.  If can only play once every 2 months then a basic quest is
probably best. But if you play twice a week then do Free Form.

I do think any playe rand GM should look into the old Joseph
Campbell's Power of Myth and other pbs materials.  Its a great source
of myth and being a hero.  When I saw it in early '90s I think I
changed so much of my play style.  Very good series on pbs.