[PnP] pnp Digest, Vol 115, Issue 3-magical aides

David Sanders dasandersx at comcast.net
Wed Apr 15 21:53:25 CEST 2015

I retract what I wrote before.  I clearly did not understand what Scott was getting at.

I would think about it as if you were creating the magic item.  If we were creating a wand or staff, how would we do it?

The rules for mana storage in the Permanent Magics spell are pretty clear, but they don't really match up to what a wand or staff does in the treasure section.  Mana storage works strictly with EL of the Ensorcellment spell, and ignores MEL.  Since the two don't match up, one of the two things might have to change.  Or both.

For creating an item with Mana Storage, I like the idea that a simple object might have a low level of storage capacity, a wand (they are specifically made for magic, after all) greater, and a staff the maximum.  A talisman, for instance, might be ensorcelled with enough mana to cast its magic, and regenerate slowly (say EL mana per day) and a wand ELx2...and a staff at ELx3.

MEL is often twice EL.  MEL is often also far more difficult to advance.  Perhaps, then, using the MEL is attractive...?  Or maybe special rules using the MEL have to be created for the special cases of wands and staves.

As for the amount of storage, I would limit the non-wand/staff strictly to what they need to cast what magic they might have, or a minimal amount of storage if not magic casting power.  The wand might have somewhere around half or 2/3's the storage capacity of the staff.

Sent from my iPad